2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424798761' post='11018669']
2Hearted is the best. It is the best because it tastes awesome and I can get it everywhere. I just finished my case of Hopslam and wish I would have bought two cases.

Swiz - are you still gaming the SP Oranges? How do you like them? I like the Low spin of the C-Tapers, but the feel of the Modus. I am wondering if SPO is somewhere in between. I also demoed the Modus in S - Spin might be better in an X as they play soft.

I can't play C-Tapers anymore. Too much toil on my shoulder and hands.
[/quote]

I have played C-taper stiff for 4 years. I developed golfers elbow and sick of having to swing 110%. I recently shafted up a new set of heads of C-taper lite. Still feel tip stiff but much easier to load without ballooning. Just a thought.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424815024' post='11020695']
[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1424811161' post='11020245']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424798761' post='11018669'] are you still gaming the SP Oranges? How do you like them? I like the Low spin of the C-Tapers, but the feel of the Modus. I am wondering if SPO is somewhere in between. I also demoed the Modus in S - Spin might be better in an X as they play soft.

[/quote]

Yea I like them and have no plans of changing. Modus depends on the 120 vs 130 I've read, one plays soft to flex the other true or stiff to flex. I havent really tried that many iron shafts I just needed to move from PX because my elbow was hurting.
[/quote]

My SS is ~90 with a six iron.

I have only hit the 120 which I like. 130 is pushing into heavier than I would like, but it is only 124 grams in a S.

The 120 in a stiff is about 6600 spin for me in a 7 iron while the C-Taper is about 5800. I loved the feel the 120 stiff - more than any shaft I have ever hit, but the numbers were too inconsistent and spin was too high. I think the shaft is just too soft for me making it inconsistent.

So I think I have a few options:
Modus 120 X which is probably pretty close to C-Taper S
Modus 130 S - 4 grams heavier than current setup.
SP Orange S - I don't know where I can even hit this shaft. Do they even make it anymore?
[/quote]
I have a set of s55s with modus 130S that I'm planning to put on the BST soon--you're welcome to give them a try if interested.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1424822614' post='11021685']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424798761' post='11018669'] are you still gaming the SP Oranges? How do you like them? I like the Low spin of the C-Tapers, but the feel of the Modus. I am wondering if SPO is somewhere in between. I also demoed the Modus in S - Spin might be better in an X as they play soft.

[/quote]

Yea I like them and have no plans of changing. Modus depends on the 120 vs 130 I've read, one plays soft to flex the other true or stiff to flex. I havent really tried that many iron shafts I just needed to move from PX because my elbow was hurting.
[/quote]

I have only hit the 120 which I like. 130 is pushing into heavier than I would like, but it is only 124 grams in a S.

The 120 in a stiff is about 6600 spin for me in a 7 iron while the C-Taper is about 5800. I loved the feel the 120 stiff - more than any shaft I have ever hit, but the numbers were too inconsistent and spin was too high. I think the shaft is just too soft for me making it inconsistent.

SP Orange S - I don't know where I can even hit this shaft. Do they even make it anymore?
[/quote]
I have a set of s55s with modus 130S that I'm planning to put on the BST soon--you're welcome to give them a try if interested.
[/quote]

Go ahead and BST them. I am not going to be playing/swinging for a while. I am traveling around the next few weeks.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1424822614' post='11021685']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Are you keeping the C-taper lite?

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1424824155' post='11021875']
Are you keeping the C-taper lite?
[/quote]
Nope. Too high launching and spin too much. Makes them hard to judge in the wind. The guy who sold them to me actually wants them back, so I think that's going to happen shortly.
I'm going a different direction, but I'm not totally sure what that is yet. All I know for sure is that I'm going to stop experimenting and go get fit and have something built for me. I played my best with irons that were custom built for me (s58s), and I think that's what I need to do again. No more self fitting to save a few bucks.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Ok, so total MSI count going forward? Starting at 125 here....who else?

In related news, did you all see that story where DJ had to stop using the Rogue because he's broken 3 of them now? Doesn't want to risk breaking one mid-round. That boy is some kind of country strong.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

[quote name='1puttTUT' timestamp='1424804156' post='11019441']
[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424798761' post='11018669']
2Hearted is the best. It is the best because it tastes awesome and I can get it everywhere. I just finished my case of Hopslam and wish I would have bought two cases.

Swiz - are you still gaming the SP Oranges? How do you like them? I like the Low spin of the C-Tapers, but the feel of the Modus. I am wondering if SPO is somewhere in between. I also demoed the Modus in S - Spin might be better in an X as they play soft.

[/quote]

I have an abundance of hop slam. If you're ever near Lake Orion, let me know and I'll hook you up (unless you're that guy who ripped on me in the craft beer thread for keeping two cases in my garage because he thought it was going to go bad before I could drink it all, lol)
[/quote]

I'm near Lake Orion... Sounds like we will have to peg it up once this white garbage is gone!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

So... What's the shaft de jour all you boys are playing in the G30 LS?

Also, anyone put the 915 fairways to the test yet... I have my eye on those bad boys.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

18* 915f here. Really good for my swing, hit it higher than 913. Diamana 70 S+ reg. Carry it about 205/210. Slightly longer but def more forgiving than 913. Went with the 18* over the 16.5 because of stock length. Miss the 15* Yonex to replaced off the tee though.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1424840648' post='11023927']

Also, anyone put the 915 fairways to the test yet... I have my eye on those bad boys.
[/quote]

3 Jack - tour 80 X and BB 6x. Liked the BB6x better in limited rounds, 80x was the best stock option for him.

Doz - tour 65 S and rogue 125 50tx. Rogue too stiff, I'm guessing either tour 65 or a graphite design ends up in there most likely BB.

Me - tour 65 S and rogue 125 50tx. Rogue feels really good, I'll also pull the DI from my g25 when I sell it. Unfortunately it was so cold at Carls I hit the rogue which I hadn't swung yet, settled on a loft, and called it a day. For some reason(rogue) neither of us brought the tour 65 so no on course reviews of that. Both of us would have thrown it in for a round at least if we'd had it, I liked it when trying the regular g30 extensively.

915s are really good. 16.5 S+ 70 S @ 42", perfect launch and spin. I posted trackman numbers for that and the hybrid a page back in my witb. That and the 21* H will be in my bag this year for sure. I've got ~20 rounds in with them. I'm not sure how much main board reading you do but more and more good players who's opinions I trust on here are switching to the 915f every day it seems like.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1424840648' post='11023927']

[/quote]

I am not sure on shaft yet. So far, I have hit the Ping tour 65 and 80, Tour Green and the Devotion. I tried the later two just because I already owned them and I wanted to see if they would be any good so I could not have to buy a new upgrade shaft. I didn't care for the Devotion or Tour Green and my love affair for the Devotion has come to end. It is too boardy despite solid performance. Tour Green is slightly better feel, but still not there. Last year I seemed to get into the boardy shafts (C-Taper as well). I have realized I need get back to shafts that feel great because I am a feel player. I have gotten too stuck on trying to find the perfect number on trackman.

I will say I really like the Ping Tour 80. Really nice feel and very stable. I heard they designed that shaft after the AD-DI, but not sure if that is true. I am going to give the AD-DI 7s and Rogue Silver 7s a shot as well before making a final call.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

I've actually read a number of times lately it's a UST profile, maybe the chrome? I remember the DI talk and think that might have been misinformation.

Agree about the devotion, Chris actually fit me into a devotion X which was low spinning but felt so bad. It's been sitting in a closet somewhere for 2 years. I want something that feels good which means soft as possible without bringing in the hard lefts. The DI I've been playing is a standard driver tipped 6s.

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1424872621' post='11024967']
I've actually read a number of times lately it's a UST profile, maybe the chrome? I remember the DI talk and think that might have been misinformation.

Agree about the devotion, Chris actually fit me into a devotion X which was low spinning but felt so bad. It's been sitting in a closet somewhere for 2 years. I want something that feels good which means soft as possible without bringing in the hard lefts. The DI I've been playing is a standard driver tipped 6s.
[/quote]
I'm 90% sure the Ping Tour shafts for the G30 are made by UST, and I've heard the TFC 419 is made by Aldila. I'm going to be taking the grip off my Tour 80 when I have a chance, because I'm going to cut it down to play 44.5", and the last time I took a grip off a Ping stock shaft (TFC 189 on my G25), there was a sticker or etching that had the manufacturer (UST) on it, so when I do that, I should be able to confirm.
I don't think there's a 1:1 comparison to a UST shaft, because it's a shaft designed to work specifically with the G30 based on Ping's desired specs, but it sounds like it's close to the Chrome profile. I think the comparison to the AD DI is close, but it's not quite as smooth of a feel. It's a very good shaft, and I could totally play it (and I might), but it's not exactly like a Graphite Design feel.

I'm probably going to play the AD BB 6x, because it's a shaft that I like, and from what I saw on the course down in Florida, the performance between the two shafts is pretty much the same. I was getting the same distance from what I could tell, and hit both pretty accurately. If anything, I overcooked a few more with the Tour 80x, but I used that for the first two rounds, and was still getting my swing sorted out. It'll probably come down to feel, and the AD BB is a slight winner in that department for me.

[quote name='1puttTUT' timestamp='1424889154' post='11026871']
I just bought a used G30 with the stock stiff shaft. The shaft from my 913 wouldn't fit, so I got the tour x-stiff shaft from a buddy's G25 and had the local golf store swap the adapters. Its a little light at 64g but I am hitting great.
[/quote]

Nice, where are you playing at? New driver for a trip seems to be a theme in the cold climates. I got really good numbers with the regular g30 too.

Michigan state alum who just now stumbled across this thread. Currently out in socal for the winter 8-) living the dream. Been lurking this forum for a while, this might actually be my first post. It's been great getting practice in all winter (no brag), should be ready for all the amateur tournaments this summer back in Michigan!

[quote name='joelc548' timestamp='1424898805' post='11027913']
Michigan state alum who just now stumbled across this thread. Currently out in socal for the winter 8-) living the dream. Been lurking this forum for a while, this might actually be my first post. It's been great getting practice in all winter (no brag), should be ready for all the amateur tournaments this summer back in Michigan!
[/quote]
I did the same thing last year, spending January - June in L.A., and man, this winter sucks after that experience. Michigan is home, but I wish I could make a permanent move out there.

[quote name='1puttTUT' timestamp='1424898899' post='11027919']
Screw u Joel! Lol, just jealous of course.
[/quote]
Haha, trust me I know how lucky I've been this winter. Got to spectate the Thursday round of the Northern Trust Open. Riviera is an amazing golf course. Met some guys on golfnow and we've been pairing up ever since trying to hit the best courses in SoCal (within my price range). Haven't played the trump course but knocked out courses like Angeles national, Rustic canyon, Los Verdes, Industry Hills, etc. It's been an awesome experience.

[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1424899810' post='11028031']
[/quote]
I did the same thing last year, spending January - June in L.A., and man, this winter sucks after that experience. Michigan is home, but I wish I could make a permanent move out there.
[/quote]
That's awesome man!
Once you come here it's hard to go back.....
My situation is somewhat unique, my girlfriend moved out here after college to get into the movie scene decorating sets. I work at my dad's nine hole course that my grandpa purchased back in the 60s. I plan to run the course with my brother when my dad retires so my situation is set in Michigan. This also means that I have the winters off which opens up a nice little vacation to hollywood. Honestly, if it wasn't for the family business I would most likely be out here full time.

[quote name='joelc548' timestamp='1424899917' post='11028049']
[quote name='1puttTUT' timestamp='1424898899' post='11027919']
Screw u Joel! Lol, just jealous of course.
[/quote]
Haha, trust me I know how lucky I've been this winter. Got to spectate the Thursday round of the Northern Trust Open. Riviera is an amazing golf course. Met some guys on golfnow and we've been pairing up ever since trying to hit the best courses in SoCal (within my price range). Haven't played the trump course but knocked out courses like Angeles national, Rustic canyon, Los Verdes, Industry Hills, etc. It's been an awesome experience.
[/quote]
I did the same thing last year. Thursday and everything. It was awesome -- I just walked around and followed various groups throughout the day and saw all 18 holes. It was a lot less crowded than the weekend rounds, so I was able to get close looks at a lot of the players. One of the highlights of the trip, for sure. I joined the men's club at Rustic Canyon and played in 4-5 tournaments out there. Played mostly in Ventura County, as it was fairly easy to get to several decent courses in 45 minutes on weekends, and they were less pricey and a little less crowded than some of the ones closer to LA. I met a guy from WRX for a few rounds out there and, who has become a good buddy. I'd like to get my G30 LST out there to some of those courses and enjoy the extra roll!

[quote name='joelc548' timestamp='1424900527' post='11028123']
[quote name='3 Jack Par' timestamp='1424899810' post='11028031']
[/quote]
[/quote]
That's awesome man!
Once you come here it's hard to go back.....
My situation is somewhat unique, my girlfriend moved out here after college to get into the movie scene decorating sets. I work at my dad's nine hole course that my grandpa purchased back in the 60s. I plan to run the course with my brother when my dad retires so my situation is set in Michigan. This also means that I have the winters off which opens up a nice little vacation to hollywood. Honestly, if it wasn't for the family business I would most likely be out here full time.
[/quote]

What is the course back in Michigan? I don't know many nine holers,

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6

Dang Knickerbocker, you have more head covers in your bag than most seniors!!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='knickerbocker' timestamp='1424966861' post='11032517']
What is the course back in Michigan? I don't know many nine holers,
[/quote]
Hickory Hill golf course in Wixom! First hole is in my profile pic. Short course, only 2800 yds, but has some fun holes. Me and my buddies have a set of "black tees" that we made up which makes it longer.

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1424968228' post='11032707']
[/quote]

Shut up with that senior stuff!

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1424969890' post='11032899']
[/quote]

[/quote]

than most Champion aged players :)

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1424970127' post='11032939']
[quote name='Openwater22' timestamp='1424969890' post='11032899']
[/quote]

[/quote]

than most Champion aged players :)
[/quote]

Haha, 3rd flight bud. Hardly a champion.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S