2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Top Golf Coming To Tampa

Medic

A Top Golf facility is opening tomorrow in Tampa and I have sort of mixed feelings. It looks like incredible fun and I could go there even when raining. But I almost believe I might look like a nut job if I show up with my own bag - it looks like it might be more for non players than addicts like myself.

Was hoping to get some info from members here.

Do you wear your golf shoes in order to get a real practice session in?

I know they charge per hour for a hitting bay but do they also charge for balls? (not clear on their website)

Is there plenty of room - I have a really flat swing which takes me well back and away. It works because, like Jim F. I make it work but I have hit in some inside bays where I could not hit more than a wedge because I was coming so close to the monitors.

Most ranges have the infamous range balls that are about 10% shorter. Are the balls at TG shorter in distance?

Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to provide. As I said, I love golf and anything that allows me to play - and this looks like it might just be incredible fun. But then again it also looks like it is more of a bar than a real practice session - just don't want to go into it not knowing what to expect.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys!

Besides the bay charge is there an additional charge per bucket of balls?

Guess you can tell I am really excited about this!

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I take my bag to the one in Austin. The clubs they have there aren't that bad, I have used them before. I usually only go during the daytime when I am off. When it gets really packed it's mostly non-golfers. I like it, but it's a lot like bowling. It only has one of the things that I like about golf. You also hit off mats which sucks. It is fun though. I wear my shoes as well. There aren't buckets, you wave your club at this light and it releases a ball.

I AM AN FBI AGENT!!!!

I visit my Top Golf a lot during the winter since they have heaters above the mats. I bring my own bag, wear my golf shoes, and put my headphones in and hit for hours.

I will say it does add up ($7 a game from 3pm to close). They do try to give you discounts with $150 worth of games for $100. At my location you put your top golf card into a machine that dispenses the balls into buckets for you. You then take your stuff to your bay and you put them in a dispensing black box. They dont come out automatically you just put your club and move the ball into the holes that makes the screen indicate that the ball is active and able to read the distance.

There are a lot of different games that you can play. Whether its practicing your wedge game, long irons, or have the computer give you targets to get hit it is a great time out. There are plenty of work parties, 1st timers, and regulars and there is plenty of room in the bay for whatever swing you have.

If you're going to go on a regular basis they do have memberships for $100 per month, well worth it if you're going to often. The membership gives you a free beer each time you go, unlimited games, and 10% off your total bill.

I will say its nice to get out there during the winter but the balls are a little beat up its tough to get a good judgement of distance with them.

[quote name='Creedo77' timestamp='1418955184' post='10614853']
I visit my Top Golf a lot during the winter since they have heaters above the mats. I bring my own bag, wear my golf shoes, and put my headphones in and hit for hours.

I will say it does add up ($7 a game from 3pm to close). They do try to give you discounts with $150 worth of games for $100. At my location you put your top golf card into a machine that dispenses the balls into buckets for you. You then take your stuff to your bay and you put them in a dispensing black box. They dont come out automatically you just put your club and move the ball into the holes that makes the screen indicate that the ball is active and able to read the distance.

There are a lot of different games that you can play. Whether its practicing your wedge game, long irons, or have the computer give you targets to get hit it is a great time out. There are plenty of work parties, 1st timers, and regulars and there is plenty of room in the bay for whatever swing you have.

If you're going to go on a regular basis they do have memberships for $100 per month, well worth it if you're going to often. The membership gives you a free beer each time you go, unlimited games, and 10% off your total bill.

I will say its nice to get out there during the winter but the balls are a little beat up its tough to get a good judgement of distance with them.
[/quote]

Sincere thanks for the great info. I will definitely head there with my equipment - it sounds like a blast.

Will post again after I have tried it. Can't imagine joining because I live about 45 minutes away minimum and there are a LOT of ranges much closer - lit for nighttime play and it's warm here almost all of the time. But should be fun to try it out.

Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys just wondering if anyone knew when the best time of day is to go to this place? I tried on a Friday and Saturday at 5-6pm and the wait was 5 hours. I know it is new to the Tampa market, so it the hot thing now.

Just seeing if you guys have better luck during the day or weekdays.

I was in a group my last round of golf and one of the guys stated it cost $18.5 million for the Tampa Top golf. I thought Orlando would be a better location also, but they need a lot of land and it is more expensive over that way.

Gary

TM SLDR 9.5 TP Stiff
Adams 9031 18* Diamana 82 HY Stiff
Titleist 712 U 3 iron
TM Burner 2.0 Project X 4-PW
Scor Wedges 50-54-58
Odyssey Tank #1 38"

[quote name='golfnut9922' timestamp='1427395581' post='11221829']
Hey guys just wondering if anyone knew when the best time of day is to go to this place? I tried on a Friday and Saturday at 5-6pm and the wait was 5 hours. I know it is new to the Tampa market, so it the hot thing now.

Just seeing if you guys have better luck during the day or weekdays.

I was in a group my last round of golf and one of the guys stated it cost $18.5 million for the Tampa Top golf. I thought Orlando would be a better location also, but they need a lot of land and it is more expensive over that way.

Gary
[/quote]

The wait on weekends gets ridiculous, mine was 6.5 hours on a Saturday. If any of my friends want to go on a weekend, what we usually do is send one person over to put their name down on the list. So I went at 3pm to put my name down for the 6.5 hour wait. Went home, did other things, and told the group to meet at 8:30 for food / drinks at top golf and we got our bay at 9:45 pm.

They will take your cell number down and text you when your booth is ready. I was told we would have 15 minutes from the time they text to show up for our booth or we lose it. If you know you want to go on a Friday / Saturday, I suggest have someone put the name in early to get that spot later at night.

[quote name='SeanPMcD' timestamp='1424371459' post='10986093']
I am surprised it took until about a month ago for a PGA Superstore to be opened in Orlando. Talk about one of the golf capitals of the US.
[/quote]

I agree. I tend to think that Orlando has a disconnect because of how busy it gets here from January thru April and how dead the courses are from May thru October. Then when the snowbirds start to come down, the time change causes it to be dark at 5:30 and the courses have limited tee times due to daylight. But, I've heard countless complaints from vacationers and travelers about the lack of retail stores, club fitting and repair places. There is still virtually nothing outside of the Turkey Lake/Sand Lake area.

It's why I started to learn how to build and repair clubs myself, so I didn't have to travel 35 minutes to drop it off.

RH

• 3 weeks later...

Spent four hours there in Feb. Worth it. Got comped some time for planning my bachelor party there. Games are fun. My buddy and I had money on everything we did. Brought our bags with us, but just wore running shoes.

There was all types of players there. From the group of girls just goofing around, to the guys that came in dressed to the nines, full bags, and pulled out driver right away and couldn't hit the back of the net 215yds away.

From what I was told, the ball is designed to lose about 10-15% distance over 180yards(might have been more). We tested it with some drivers and our own balls. From where they were hitting the net, you could tell the distance loss. Our balls hit 30 yards above TopGolf's.