2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

1978-9 Spalding Top Flite Pro Forged irons

Greeting Vintage forged fans. I have another set that I found in a Pro shop I visited on a stormy winter day about two weeks ago. As the per the Thread title indicates they are: 1978-9 Spalding Top Flite Pro Forged irons 3-PW. I am posting a few pics on the set. Interestingly enough they are Registered set and have the registration on the shaft - rather then stamped on the head. Here they are. They have LITE DYNAMIC Shafts and are Medium. Swing weights are all very close and they need to be hit to see how they perform. Likely need new grips too.

Just a few more quick notes on these irons. and my photography isn't the best.

1. Shafts are LITE DYNAMIC and they are very close in stiffness to a TT DG but are a lighter weight shaft. The steps are fairly close to the hosel and while the sticker says Medium I sense that they will play rather stoutly.
2. The swingweights are D 0.5 to D 1 and the PW is D 3+. That is fairly good tolerances.
3. Lengths are standard for the period. The 5 iron is about 37 1/2 in length.
4. The pics do not show justice to the condition of the chrome, grooves and company stamp.
5. When it warms up a bit more up in Ontario I will take them out and hit them with the grips that are one them.
6. Some of the irons still have the Black & Green - 1/2 Velvet Cord Victory Grips from Golf Pride.

If one sees lots and lots of vintage sets one can recognize how some models (and head styles/grinds) tend to cross the boundaries of company brand. Makes me wonder if a lot of heads were stamped at the same place. A perfect example are the Tommy Armour full muscle back irons. So many have copied this style of head - and companies like Mizuno, Niki and Titleist continue to do so today. Like Tigers older and newer set, Nick Faldo and a lots of other players. Used the more modern MP 14 and MP 29 sets. The lofts were a bit different between these sets and the size of the heads were a bit different. The MP 14 was a bit smaller with weaker lofts and the MP 29 were larger with stronger lofts.

Some irons are slightly rarer then others. Even Northwestern made some classic sets. There were (and are) so many variations, tweaks and head stamping out there - that it would take a book to document (covering decades) and show pictures of all these similar sets. Let alone the ones that were a bit more obscure. Powerbilt has some nice stuff as does MacGregor, Walter Hagen, Hogan and Wilson.

Keep in mind that the older clubs - have a sharper leading edge so the swing must match the shape of the sole. If one descends sharply during the strike of the ball - one can readily dig holes all day. If one flattens the swing then the irons will work as designed. Great stuff for dryer / harder fairways. Lee Trevino describes his ball striking development on a sun baked driving range. So early on - he was fine with sharper leading edges on a set of irons.

Wilson seems to have had a slightly wider flange - as did Walter Hagen and some Rams. Often times it comes down to finding an OEM shaft that will work for you - so this is one of the primary factors to consider. Sometimes adding a bit of extra Swing Weight, or changing the Lies and adding new grips is all that is needed.

My introduction to golf started with blade type irons and wood heads so these type of clubs are very familiar to me. if one can not hit a persimmon driver (10* or so) then drop down to a Spoon (at 12* or 13*). One will find Rocket shafts, Mercury shafts, Tourney Action shafts, Power Action, Dynamic, Pro Pel, Apex among others. Generally one will find that the older the woods the flatter the lie.

The flatter lies will provide an opportunity for one to emulate a swing like Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer among others. The longer clubs of today are generally not hit the way the older clubs needed to be hit. I usually re-shaft a few modern drivers with steel shafts but they are usually more upright then I would like them to be.

With very little consideration given to age (of course there are limits) - If one makes regular visits to the range one's swing speed, strength and accuracy will improve - and the results will increase in a positive fashion. If one is serious about improving one's ball striking then trips should be made about every second day. Worse case scenario would be every third day. Hit the PW wedge till it works in a marvelous way. Then the 9 iron the 8 iron etc.

One of my little swing tips is to grab four irons and swing them all at once - back and forth about 30 times. Then swing 3 irons at once another 30 times; then swing 2 irons at once 30 times; then swing one iron 20 times or so. This will stretch the golf muscles and warm up the body. Try not to swing them too abruptly - or one may pull something out of joint. Take your time - be patient - but do it before one starts striking balls. One will establish the sense of feel because there is enough blood in the muscles to make it easier to achieve what one is trying to achieve.

WOW did I ever get side-tracked on this thread. Those of you who are residing in warmer climate zones - where you can go out and play now; are in a good position to start the regime of establishing good practices sessions now. In my area we are expecting it to be 0* C (32*F) today so I won't be on the roster today...!

So be well my vintage WRX friends and swing smooth and hit hard...!

For this particular set one will see individual irons more readily then one may find a complete set. I bought my set without the PW but had faith that I would find one. Fortunately I found one - in good shape and at a reasonable price.

I know it's a challenge to find one or more missing irons for a set. I've seen a few sets out there of various brands that are missing an iron. My rule of thumb is related to the possibility of finding a missing iron from the set. Nobody ever seems to loose the 3 iron - lol. It seems like it's usually a PW, 9,8,7,6 seem to be the most common missing iron(s).

I know there are rules about selling clubs on WRX but it would be great if some of us could [u]trade[/u] to each other on the vintage stuff. I'll pick up a single iron if I think it will fit a set that is somewhat common - an example being a Wilson, Hogan, Spalding, MacGregor etc. Or ones that most of us would recognize as having the potential of helping another fellow golfer fill out a set.

If you's have any thoughts on this - please leave a note.

[quote name='bullrambler' timestamp='1427327086' post='11216315']
For this particular set one will see individual irons more readily then one may find a complete set. I bought my set without the PW but had faith that I would find one. Fortunately I found one - in good shape and at a reasonable price.

I know it's a challenge to find one or more missing irons for a set. I've seen a few set out there of various brands that are missing an iron. My rule of thumb is related to the possibility of finding a missing iron from the set. Nobody ever seems to loose the 3 iron - lol. It seems like it's usually a PW, 9,8,7,6 seem to be the most common missing iron(s).

I know there are rules about selling clubs on WRX but it would be great if some of us could [u]trade[/u] to each other on the vintage stuff. I'll pick up a single iron if I think it will fit a set that is somewhat common - an example being a Wilson, Hogan, Spalding, MacGregor etc. Or ones that most of us would recognize as having the potential of helping another fellow golfer fill out a set.

[/quote]

Agree BR, partial sets that I see while thrifting ALWAYS seem to be missing a 7 iron. Early on in this journey, I would pickup partials. Now I try to refrain due to the necessity of finding fills. Often at greater expense than what the remainder of the set cost to begin with. Also agree, wish there was some means of letting fellow Classic WRX's know (without running afoul of the rules) that I have "x" club(s) if anyone is in need. Not looking to turn a profit, simply wanting to help out and cover costs. I've compiled a list of all my vintage clubs. Would like to post it and say...."Anyone looking for one of these". BST is just to cumbersome to do this, plus the necessity of having to put a price on them.

That said, recently thrifted a near mint pair of Hogan PC's., a 2i and 6i. For $1.99 ea., how could I not scoop them up. Got all excited while rummaging thru the club bin initially. Alas, that's all there was. Made me curious what happened to the remainder of the set. Maybe I should return to the location to see if they have surfaced.

I recently saw a complete set of Spalding Chi Chi Rodriguez Caribbean irons at local thrift. They looked interesting, but was thinking they were just a department store line so took a pass. Cannot seem to find much info. on the internets about them. Nothing on eBay. Perhaps confirming my suspicions. Anyone now anything about these Spalding irons?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1427382461' post='11220099']

I know it's a challenge to find one or more missing irons for a set. I've seen a few set out there of various brands that are missing an iron. My rule of thumb is related to the possibility of finding a missing iron from the set. Nobody ever seems to loose the 3 iron - lol. It seems like it's usually a PW, 9,8,7,6 seem to be the most common missing iron(s).

[/quote]

Agree BR, partial sets that I see while thrifting ALWAYS seem to be missing a 7 iron. Early on in this journey, I would pickup partials. Now I try to refrain due to the necessity of finding fills. Often at greater expense than what the remainder of the set cost to begin with. Also agree, wish there was some means of letting fellow Classic WRX's know (without running afoul of the rules) that I have "x" club(s) if anyone is in need. Not looking to turn a profit, simply wanting to help out and cover costs. I've compiled a list of all my vintage clubs. Would like to post it and say...."Anyone looking for one of these". BST is just to cumbersome to do this, plus the necessity of having to put a price on them.

That said, recently thrifted a near mint pair of Hogan PC's., a 2i and 6i. For $1.99 ea., how could I not scoop them up. Got all excited while rummaging thru the club bin initially. Alas, that's all there was. Made me curious what happened to the remainder of the set. Maybe I should return to the location to see if they have surfaced.

I recently saw a complete set of Spalding Chi Chi Rodriguez Caribbean irons at local thrift. They looked interesting, but was thinking they were just a department store line so took a pass. Cannot seem to find much info. on the internets about them. Nothing on eBay. Perhaps confirming my suspicions. Anyone now anything about these Spalding irons?
[/quote]That is a jam up idea because if someone needed like say a Wilson Staff 7 iron they could post it and like one of us could be aware when thrifting and keep an eye peeled for one. I am not sure how that would go with forum rules. Personally I do not see anything wrong with it but then again I don't manage the forum

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• 3 weeks later...

Ok - a little report on these irons as I took them out for my first 18 hole outing of the year. Fairways were a bit wet and soft - but it felt great to be out on a course again.

I found that with the Lite Dynamic Medium shaft I had to slow down my ball striking - to match the performance of the shaft. It still functioned as well as it was intended to function. On average I had to use one or even two more clubs then what I generally use. So rather then hit a 9 or 8 iron from 150 I had to use a 7 iron. I expect the lofts were a bit weaker so that is part of the reason for the distance. Everything I hit was a draw and I can see that I should flatten the lie by 1* and see how that might work out. I don't think that I would flatten the lies more then 2* maximum.

Before I went out I did a rigorous scrubbing with scotch pads, water and soap. It gave me the opportunity to try these clubs with the older grips on them. The grips will need to be replaced though. My ultimate best shot was on a Par 3. It was 185 yards into a head wind of about 15mph. This hole was on my back nine so I was getting used the clubs. I pulled a 3 iron out then said to my playing partner (the chef at the club house) - this is one club too much. So I "holstered" the three iron back in the bag and pulled the 4 iron. I hit a big draw and landed pin high at three feet. The grass on the greens are longish right now so I needed to putt firmly and sunk my first birdie of the year.

The clubs are decent enough for sure - and the results for me, show that Spalding irons always end up having a high placing on my vintage list. I would not consider reshafting this set to something firmer like a DG because they work fine as they are.

[quote name='bullrambler' timestamp='1429187260' post='11371857']
Ok - a little report in these irons as I took them out for my first 18 hole outing of the year. Fairways were a bit wet and soft - but it felt great to be out on a course again.

I found that with the Lite Dynamic Medium shaft I had to slow down my ball striking - to match the performance of the shaft. It still functioned as well as it was intended to function. On average I had to use one or even two more clubs then what I generally use. So rather then hit a 9 or 8 iron from 150 I had to use a 7 iron. I expect the lofts were a bit weaker so that is part of the reason for the distance. Everything I hit was a draw and I can see that I should flatten the lie by 1* and see how that might work out. I don't think that I would flatten the lies more then 2* maximum.

Before I went out I did a rigorous scrubbing with scotch pads, water and soap. It gave me the opportunity to try these clubs with the older grips on them. The grips will need to be replaced though. My ultimate best shot was on a Par 3. It was 185 yards into a head wind of about 15mph. This hole was on my back nine so I was getting used the clubs. I pulled a 3 iron out then said to my playing partner (the chef at the club house) - this is one club too much. So I "holstered" the three iron back in the bag and pulled the 4 iron. I hit a big draw and landed pin high at three feet. The grass on the greens are longish right now so I needed to putt firmly and sunk my first birdie of the year.

The clubs are decent enough for sure - and the results for me, show that Spalding irons always end up having a high placing on my vintage list. I would not consider reshafting this set to something firmer like a DG because they work fine as they are.
[/quote]

Bull, congrats on your first round and birdie of the new season! Here's to many more of both! Spalding irons were the bomb back in the late '60s, early '70s. A friend had a set of Top-Flite Dynertial irons around '72 or so and he hit them well! I always liked the look even though they had a semi-cavity back.

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[/quote]

Well folks. At the request of members here, we do have a lovely classic clubs BST forum here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/220-classic-clubs-bst/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ssic-clubs-bst/[/url]

This would be a great location to post WTB, WTS, and WTT links and be in compliance with WRX policy.

BTW, nice clubs - I have a soft spot for Spalding, as it was ubiquitous here in Canuckland back when I was a wayward youth. Just gave a way a set of Kro-Flite irons last year in fact, though sometimes wonder if I should have. Oh well, they were replaced with some Wright and Ditson irons so everything is OK.

LOL, the W&D's are my "guest irons" in my "guest bag" at the cottage. What a heck of a host I am, eh?

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1429192540' post='11372505']

[/quote]

Well folks. At the request of members here, we do have a lovely classic clubs BST forum here:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/220-classic-clubs-bst/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...ssic-clubs-bst/[/url]

This would be a great location to post WTB, WTS, and WTT links and be in compliance with WRX policy.

BTW, nice clubs - I have a soft spot for Spalding, as it was ubiquitous here in Canuckland back when I was a wayward youth. Just gave a way a set of Kro-Flite irons last year in fact, though sometimes wonder if I should have. Oh well, they were replaced with some Wright and Ditson irons so everything is OK.

LOL, the W&D's are my "guest irons" in my "guest bag" at the cottage. What a heck of a host I am, eh?
[/quote]

Eh! Way to go Scooter!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I hate to high jack my own thread - but - I'm going through the rack and trying different sets and checking the results. Overall my swing speed and yardages are down and little to no roll on the fairways and greens. On a positive note I'm hitting the driver quite well with a manageable draw; but really big draws on all the irons. Hopefully that settles down a bit over the next little while. All's I can say is it's nice to be out in the sunshine and getting some exercise while playing the game we all love so much.

I hate to high jack my own thread - but - I'm going through the rack and trying different sets and checking the results. Overall my swing speed and yardages are down and little to no roll on the fairways and greens. On a positive note I'm hitting the driver quite well with a manageable draw; but really big draws on all the irons. Hopefully that settles down a bit over the next little while. All's I can say is it's nice to be out in the sunshine and getting some exercise while playing the game we all love so much.

BR, just play the ball back in the stance a little bit or open the face of the club a little more, and your big iron draw will tame itself down.

Why suffer needlessly?

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

BR, just play the ball back in the stance a little bit or open the face of the club a little more, and your big iron draw will tame itself down.

Why suffer needlessly?

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='ScooterMcTavish' timestamp='1429290356' post='11381763']
[/quote]

I`ve resorted to playing the ball a bit back in my stance, particularly with the short irons and wedges that I`m currently gaming to counteract the high off-set. I didn`t have much luck with opening the face as that led to a weak flair out to the right if I caught one a bit toey. I just set-up to target for a draw and play it.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[/quote]

I`ve resorted to playing the ball a bit back in my stance, particularly with the short irons and wedges that I`m currently gaming to counteract the high off-set. I didn`t have much luck with opening the face as that led to a weak flair out to the right if I caught one a bit toey. I just set-up to target for a draw and play it.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks for the tip SMT and I'll hit the range tomorrow and see what's going on. As mentioned I am demo-ing a few sets so at least the results are happening with all the sets. I have 4 more sets to demo. Some of them will move on to others in need of a good set - but I like to do minor tweaks to them for loft and lie if needed. That's not too tough of a task.

Thanks for the tip SMT and I'll hit the range tomorrow and see what's going on. As mentioned I am demo-ing a few sets so at least the results are happening with all the sets. I have 4 more sets to demo. Some of them will move on to others in need of a good set - but I like to do minor tweaks to them for loft and lie if needed. That's not too tough of a task.

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1429291271' post='11381905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

To me, it's all about which one you can do more consistently. Some people cannot mess with ball position, while others cannot consistently open or close a face.

Me, if I need to tame down a draw, I move the ball back, to hit a fade, I open the face. I'm much better at taming down a draw LOL.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1429291271' post='11381905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

To me, it's all about which one you can do more consistently. Some people cannot mess with ball position, while others cannot consistently open or close a face.

Me, if I need to tame down a draw, I move the ball back, to hit a fade, I open the face. I'm much better at taming down a draw LOL.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Went out with the Mrs. Champ today for 9 and the big draw tamed down. She was hitting the ball decently for her first outing of the year. Needless to say, I was kinda relieved about the big draw settling down. Now, I just gotta get those golf muscles tuned up a bit more and gain enough yardage so that I can use one less club then I\m hitting now. Should be fine in a week or so.
I hope you vintage guys are getting out there and having some fun with your clubs...!

Went out with the Mrs. Champ today for 9 and the big draw tamed down. She was hitting the ball decently for her first outing of the year. Needless to say, I was kinda relieved about the big draw settling down. Now, I just gotta get those golf muscles tuned up a bit more and gain enough yardage so that I can use one less club then I\m hitting now. Should be fine in a week or so.
I hope you vintage guys are getting out there and having some fun with your clubs...!

• 9 years later...

I still have the Spalding Top Flite Pro forged irons and took them out in the light of day and played a round with them (with the old grips). So when I got home I changed the grips for new ones. I usually use a mid size grip so I lost about 3 swing weight points one them. There now sitting at about C 8.5 and this is a bit light. I was looking at the sole and they appear like they have a negative bounce sole on them. Kinda like some of the older Hogan irons. So I'm going to do a little bend and see if I can improve the bounce on the soles. Then I'll take these irons out again and see how they perform. I'll probably do 1 degree and try them out; and if needed bend them 1 more degree. I may add a bit of lead tape to get a bit more swing weight on them. I'll report back after I go through these changes. As mentioned before these are "Registered" irons so that means that they were built to a specification at the time of assembly. I don't want to change them too much - But some changes may be necessary to get the improvement out of them.

• Like 2