Atlanta Georgia Private Clubs

I looked Settingdown up; pictures show what appears to be a pretty nice course.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='heiman5' timestamp='1427657917' post='11240611']Beyond the financial hurdle - is it even possible to join Peachtree or Piedmont without prior contacts there? Will they help you meet members etc? Are the waiting lists crazy?[/quote] isn't Piedmont the place where the story of many members flinging their members around broke?

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1427812237' post='11252391']
I looked Settingdown up; pictures show what appears to be a pretty nice course.
[/quote]

It is - while owned by Ansley, it doesn't get that much play. Hosted the Nike Tour championship & the USGA Women's amateur a few years back. Tough track, no caddie program. Drive from downtown would get old very fast - on a good day, 50 minutes. From the southside? I don't even want to think about it.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Ansley would fit what you are describing if you lived in the city. One of the challenges with the Atlanta clubs is there are a very large number of members per golf hole. It is probably a multiple of what you are used to in the Northeast. These aren't the kind of places you can typically get on without a tee time made several days in advance on a saturday or sunday morning. It would almost be easier to drive to Reynolds Plantation or Cuscowilla then to go from south of the airport to Settindown.

There are very few caddy programs in Atlanta, and the ones that do are really north of the $25K mark. They are more $80K plus for you being over 40, and you will need to wait a year plus.

Golf Club of Georgia may be a winner for you. The problem is it is on the complete opposite side of town. It was just purchased by Ben Kenny, who owns Horseshoe Bend, and they are planning to do a refresh of it with Bob Cupp. GT plays out there and they have numerous PGA player that play out there as well. I know at one time they did have a caddie program, but that may have gone away with the economy.

[quote name='caller' timestamp='1427723143' post='11244461']
Peachtree?

Probably out of reach for most of people on this forum. 200 members only now and they already know who the next members going to be.
Invitation only.

Cherokee is the great club to join. Expect to spend $90k.
[/quote]

Peachtree is out of reach for everyone on this forum.

[quote name='AtlBomber' timestamp='1427928860' post='11264539']
Settingdown is a very nice track. I played Governor's Towne Club today up in Acworth. Great track and I think they are running some ridiculous specials right now on their memberships. It would be a HIKE from south of the city though.
[/quote]

Yeah, Governors Towne Club is one of my favorites. I would join there in a heartbeat if it weren't in Acworth (tough commute from DT Atlanta).

As to the OP, the only "great" course in south Atlanta is Piedmont Driving Club. I'm actually not a huge fan of the layout--just think it's kinda boring. Plus, like someone said earlier, getting in will take the better part of 1.5 years and requires like 20 references from current members.

In terms of layout, I think my favorite courses in south ATL is Heron Bay. Can't really speak to the facilities, but they had good food, and I thought the layout/condition of the course was phenomenal--definitely makes my top 10 courses in ATL list. Not sure what the initiation/dues are, but I guarantee it would be well below your price point.

I don't know how long you've been in ATL but I'd strongly advise against joining a north course when you live south. Traffic sucks, and at least I wouldn't use a club nearly enough to justify the expense if I had to drive 20+ miles to get there.

The other thing is that I don't think there's any overlap between courses with caddies and courses with sub-25k initiation fees.

Heron Bay is part of the Canongate group. It's a very good course and long, (7,400 from the tips). However, it is hardly exclusive. I'm not even sure Canongate actually charges an initiation fee.

Not a lot of golfers come out there though from my experience. So the good news is that pace of play won't be a problem, but it won't be that social atmosphere that you get at the exclusive private clubs.

Unfortunately, I think the OP is screwed either way. The courses that fit what he's looking for have outrageous initiations and/or are well out of the way.

RH

Interesting thread... Mostly all solid data...

Settingdown is the most challenging high end course in Atlanta... You better be sub 10 handicap, or it will frustrate you....

Southside, Eagles Landing is going to be the choice... 27 holes keeps the variety alive... Nice clubhouse and food...

Herman Cain and Hank Aaron are members...

Cuscowilla is nice, but driving more 1 hour each way to golf course is a no go for my regular course...

Best regards....

Actually the AAC Highlands course from the championship tees is rated as the most difficult course in Atlanta.

Settindown is very challenging and narrow in spots, but after they removed some of the native grass areas it's not as frustrating as it originally was.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

"Actually the AAC Highlands course from the championship tees is rated as the most difficult course in Atlanta."

I would have guessed Echelon from the back tee boxes would be the most difficult, it is ridiculously long and difficult from back there. They usually don't have the tips on the back tee boxes but we go back there from time to time to get our teeth kicked in...don't ask me why. :russian_roulette:

Heron Bay is definitely one of the better courses on the south side. I am not a fan of any of the south side Canongate courses other than Heron Bay and Peachtree Sun City. But it really does not compare to the courses we have available on the north side. And you will not get a real private experience and feel from any of the Canongate courses.

As others have pointed out, the CC experience the OP is looking for in not available at the price or what is required to join. If the expectations are lowered a bit there are a number of CC that would be a very enjoyable on the north side. Other than Eagles Landing, I do not know what else is available on the south side.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='AtlBomber' timestamp='1428542329' post='11315737']"Actually the AAC Highlands course from the championship tees is rated as the most difficult course in Atlanta."

I would have guessed Echelon from the back tee boxes would be the most difficult, it is ridiculously long and difficult from back there. They usually don't have the tips on the back tee boxes but we go back there from time to time to get our teeth kicked in...don't ask me why. :russian_roulette:[/quote]

You are correct. Course rating is higher. Echelon was not around on the list I was remembering. Highlands slope is higher though. All mentioned are top five so really all are correct.

http://m.bizjournals.com/atlanta/subscriber-only/2014/04/11/toughest-golf-courses.html?r=full

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1428503858' post='11310893']
Heron Bay is part of the Canongate group. It's a very good course and long, (7,400 from the tips). However, it is hardly exclusive. I'm not even sure Canongate actually charges an initiation fee.

Not a lot of golfers come out there though from my experience. So the good news is that pace of play won't be a problem, but it won't be that social atmosphere that you get at the exclusive private clubs.

Unfortunately, I think the OP is screwed either way. The courses that fit what he's looking for have outrageous initiations and/or are well out of the way.
[/quote]

Clubcorp bought Canongate. I thought you could still pay dues to join a course in the Clubcorp network (like Heron Bay) in order to avoid the 2 round per month restriction.

But I agree with your assessment. There are very few midrange clubs in Atlanta. It's mostly high end or semi-private. Unlike Orlando, we don't really have much between Interlachen/Nona and Winter Park Pines : )

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1428546166' post='11316163']
Heron Bay is definitely one of the better courses on the south side. I am not a fan of any of the south side Canongate courses other than Heron Bay and Peachtree Sun City. But it really does not compare to the courses we have available on the north side. And you will not get a real private experience and feel from any of the Canongate courses.

As others have pointed out, the CC experience the OP is looking for in not available at the price or what is required to join. If the expectations are lowered a bit there are a number of CC that would be a very enjoyable on the north side. Other than Eagles Landing, I do not know what else is available on the south side.
[/quote]

Wanna tell me which ones you're talking about? Country Club of the South sucks and is run by the most pretentious, new money people I've ever encountered. Atlanta National is decent, but I think it has a few goofy holes that detract from the course. Haven't played White Columns or The Manor.

Northside worth checking:
Dunwoody
Rivermont (I was a member here up until February)
Cherokee (more expensive though)
White Columns
The Manor
Horseshoe Bend (just redone and nice atmosphere)
Governor's Towne
Crystal Falls
Capital City

Southside:
Eagle's Landing

It's very lopsided. I didn't even mention P'tree or Piedmont due to their accessibility.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

^ This plus The Standard Club, The River Club, Atlanta Athletic Club, Atlanta Country Club, TPC Sugarloaf, and Alpharetta Athletic Club (East Course).

Other north side courses I would put equal or above. Bentwater, BridgeMill, Woodmont, Chestatee, Achasta, and Bears Best. And thejuice can probably add a few more.

Callaway Chrome Soft

^^Yes, TM_Hoyer!^^ I was going off the top of my head. I knew I missed a couple. Actually, I played The Standard Club and loved it. Those semi-privates you mentioned are fantastic as well. I love Achasta!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Mine were off the top of my head also as I forgot Golf Club of Georgia. And you could include Barnsley Garden, Canyon Ridge, and Brasstown Valley.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I'm with you on most of those, but I'd remove Bear's Best from that list. I've played it 5+ times and every time the greens have been beach-like and the play is obnoxiously slow.

Played Bentwater last weekend, thought it was a nice track. Thanks for the list, I'll definitely check out the other courses you posted!

It lost its way because you are looking for a unicorn. Everyone has done their best to accurately describe the ins and outs, pros and cons of Private Clubs in and around Atlanta. The fact remains there is nothing available at the price point you are looking at in the area you are looking to live in that has all of your "requirements". Sorry.

SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Thank you Z for your response. I understand the fact that the 25k may not be an option. However I do understand that "all the other requirements" are attainable at a cost. I just wish the thread would have gone in the direction of:: These clubs fit the bill ..all but the cost factor... Here they are: instead it went in the direction of:
This Cannongate is a nice track.
This CCorp is a a good course.
This new owner is s nice guy.
These are three specifics that I specifically stated I did not want. They keep rearing their head. I tried really hard to not sound pompous and arrogant. I just know what I want. If it costs more in the ATL. So be it, I guess I will have to save my pennies. For those who have belonged to a true club, they understand. For those who have not, you won't understand.. CGate, ClubCorp and owner operated courses are not what I am looking for. You really shouldn't be offering your opinion and recommendation if you have never been a member to a club or "invited" to play at someone else's club.
Thanks.

Not scratch

What I can't figure is why you didn't check all this out before you moved. Your old club could have provided introductions to clubs that fit your idea of what a private club should be and smoothed the transition. That and you might have moved closer to where the clubs that fit the description were located, if it is to be a big part of your life.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see where you provided revised guidance to your preferences particularly on price point.

Grew up in and live in atlanta. As others have said, unfortunately what you are looking for does not exist. You ideal would be capital city. In town course in Brookhaven, pool, tennis, caddies (although I think you have to request them in advance, meaning they aren't just there waiting), crabapple WAY north but also a great golf course. Also probably looking at 75-80k and invite.

My parents are members at Ansley, but not on par with the in town course given the 9 hole layout, but it's fun to play. Settindown is great, but can't imagine making that drive from south of i20 on a regular basis. Also will be considerably more than 25, but not as bad as the other privates itp.

Finally, Piedmont would be good location wise, but I think it's a little harder to get into than most.

Tsr2 8 or Tsi3 9 with Whiteboard 73 stiff Rombax 7z08
Titleist 910f 15 diamana whiteboard 83 stiff

titleist 818h2 with atmos stiff
titleist 710 mb 4-pw or Mizuno 919 Tour 4-pw or....
Vokey 52,56
Lajosi dd201 about 20 other putters