2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

GTF 1.0: A ranger with power and a sign on the first tee informing golfers of the ranger's power

GTF 2.0: Not as fast as a Tex round, I could hardly keep up with him the other day. I think 4 hours or less is nice (for a 4-some at peak time) if I had to put a time on it. I like not feeling rushed and not having to wait very long. Afternoon/non-peak time I would want that time frame to get closer to 3 hours or less

Okay Goldilocks.. This round is too slow, this round is too fast... And this round is just right!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

3.5 hours with people

Under 3 by myself

protos F4

GTF2: If I'm in a 4-some walking during peak times, 4 hours is a good number. I guess ol' Barney's 3:45 is a nicer target, but 4:00 is a nice even number.

More than time, flow is way more important. If I'm a single stuck behind a group playing 3:30 it feels like a long round. If I'm in a 4-some playing 4:30 and never waiting, it doesn't feel like a long round. I've had rounds that were 4:15 that felt like 5 hours because we really should have played in 3:50.

When I roll solo in the winter and the course is clear, 2:30 is about right.

Anyone ever consider the fact the vast majority of regular golfers don't care about round speed? Good golfers or frequent golfers care, but we are honestly the minority of guys playing Saturday and Sunday.

Pretty much everyone on this thread is an above average golfer. We take less time because we do this regularly and take less shots to get it done. How long does it take you to hit a shot? Multiply that by 20ish and add to to your round time. Hit the ball in play rather often? Take the time you look for a lost ball before giving up and multiply by 5. Add that to your normal round. Know what a green is going to do before you walk up to it and don't really need to "read" the putt? Average joes don't and have to look through their putts.

These guys may get out of the house 1-2 times a month, maybe less. Maybe they want to be on the course 5 hours or don't care about getting yours in under 4. I think pace of play is more a mindset / ability ordeal than it is a shortcoming of course policies or procedures.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

GTF 2.0 : How fast do you really want to play a round of golf?

Whatever it takes to not have to wait and also stay ahead of the group behind.

I have no problem with a 4 hour round for a foursome.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Anyone ever consider the fact the vast majority of regular golfers don't care about round speed? Good golfers or frequent golfers care, but we are honestly the minority of guys playing Saturday and Sunday.

Pretty much everyone on this thread is an above average golfer. We take less time because we do this regularly and take less shots to get it done. How long does it take you to hit a shot? Multiply that by 20ish and add to to your round time. Hit the ball in play rather often? Take the time you look for a lost ball before giving up and multiply by 5. Add that to your normal round. Know what a green is going to do before you walk up to it and don't really need to "read" the putt? Average joes don't and have to look through their putts.

These guys may get out of the house 1-2 times a month, maybe less. Maybe they want to be on the course 5 hours or don't care about getting yours in under 4. I think pace of play is more a mindset / ability ordeal than it is a shortcoming of course policies or procedures.

1408.gif

If I'm walking, I don't want to play in much less than 4 hours.

this is my perfect time as a foursome walking. no offense to the speedy gonzalezes on here who like to report their pace of play times like it matters, but rushing though a round isn't my idea of golfing fun.

whatever floats your boat tho.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

this is my perfect time as a foursome walking. no offense to the speedy gonzalezes on here who like to report their pace of play times like it matters, but rushing though a round isn't my idea of golfing fun.

No offense taken but It doesn't matter but I was amazed how fast I played.

I had a great time yesterday, slow rounds tend not to be fun for but depends on the people I'm playing with.

All depends on the group.

Also, we all know some people have faster PSR than others too.

I personally haven't been able to slow down..something that I somewhat working on. However, feel guilty when my wife/kid are at home and I'm missing out.

My wife is a cool chick and doesn't bust my balls at all unless I try to sneak in another 9/18...I just personally feel bad if I'm gone 6-7 hours to golf.

**by the way I eat fast too, so screw you slow eaters as well*

protos F4

GTF 1.0: More stringent rangers. Keep it moving, of course, but don't be TOO overbearing.

GTF 2.0: Don't know, really. I enjoyed the 2:45 I pulled at Black Rock since it was tee ball, hit ball, drive to ball, hit ball again, drive to ball, etc. In a group setting, I would think around 3:30-4 hours is right. Allows for driving to a ball, get a club, partner drives to their ball and play on. Allows for minor muttering and expletive laden stuff if you stuff a bad one. If it's all a walking paradise and all have Clicgears or other carts closer to 3:30 since it is hit ball, walk to ball, hit ball again just like you're a solo with exceptions being on the green and tee box.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Total agreement with Eagle and Sully on the 4 hour walking round. I'm not interested in "rushing" all day, but once a round gets close to 4:30 it does start feeling loooonnngggg.

Speed up play: In agreement with those who say empower the rangers to speed up slow groups, move them up, or kick them out. Done....

Or just allow the foursome behind the slow group to mock and yell at them at will until they move back into position....not talking about Eagle....I'm really not.

Colleague at work yesterday asked me to sneak out early for a few holes at Fox Hollow before the storm....so I obliged. Wasn't thrilled about going to Fox Hollow, but there are actually a few really decent holes there from the back tees. It was only my 2nd time playing there and the first was several years ago. We got in 14 holes before running into a log jam...3 groups waiting on one hole and decided enough and made it back to the car before the rain came down.

Played very well again at +1 thru 14 (3 bogeys and 2 birdies). Still not getting off the tee well, but my iron/wedge game is solid. Greens were so slow compared to my last two rounds so it took a few holes to adjust but the putter was getting better as the day went on.

Puppet...

I just left Dickeys... They changed up their menu little bit. Still delicious!

protos F4

no lines on the ball

forced continuous putting especially in match play

practicing on the course with people stacked up behind you will result in a collar shock

no idea if it could actually work in reality, but a verified sub 10 handicap index to play from blue, verified sub 4 index to play the black tees OR a verified scorecard that proves you've shot a decent score at this particular course.

seen way too many people playing the wrong tees.

i wonder how many rounds it would take me to move back to the tips if i started at the reds and had to break 74 (+2) before moving back a set. i might be at the whites for a while, and might not get off the blues for over a year.

In Europe, you have to provide a registered handicap prior to paying your green's fee. And then some of those courses will tell you when your tee it the day of play. Slow players (in their minds, higher handicaps) are later in the afternoon

I had a great time yesterday, slow rounds tend not to be fun for but depends on the people I'm playing with.

so, funny. i wasn't referring to you at all. you're playing on a thursday am in a cart as a single on an open course. i'd expect you to be fast.

DT basically nailed it. golf is my time to escape. i know i've asked myself this question a few times: what's the rush? if i'm not holding anyone up, and no one's holding me up... i'd prefer to be on the course than not. sure, there's a limit. but i'm not booking it to get back to the clubhouse just so i can brag about finishing in sub-4.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm curious how many people are playing the wrong the tees and what the real impact is on pace of play. When I see pace of play issues (which I don't very often anymore b/c I play times and places where it isn't an issue), it's much more attributable to bad time management than hacks playing from too far back.

we should play NW together one day (on a weekend at 10 am).

i do think you're right, it's mostly screwing around/hacking it around. i think people don't know when to just PICK UP and MOVE ON.

so, to refine my earlier handicap card requirement... institute a triple bogey max, double bogey bogey if there's a group directly behind you.

#FTFY

so, to refine my earlier handicap card requirement... institute a triple bogey max, double bogey bogey if there's a group directly behind you.

#FTFY

not that any of my suggestions were realistically going to be instituted, but bogey max? so if you dump one into the pond in front of a par 3, you're walking straight to the next tee box? yeah right.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

so, funny. i wasn't referring to you at all. you're playing on a thursday am in a cart as a single on an open course. i'd expect you to be fast.

DT basically nailed it. golf is my time to escape. i know i've asked myself this question a few times: what's the rush? if i'm not holding anyone up, and no one's holding me up... i'd prefer to be on the course than not. sure, there's a limit. but i'm not booking it to get back to the clubhouse just so i can brag about finishing in sub-4.

You might of not meant to but I'm guilty of it. I had a moment of self realization.

Oh check out Ross...a bunch of old man hats with very light material.

Couple of Nike/TW golf hats, Nike web belts, and a random golf bag popping up as well.

protos F4

For me, it depends on varied circumstances on when to just pick up. If I feel I'm holding a group up, I'll pick up at double par. If I feel I'm right in conjunction with the pace or ahead of the curve, play it to hole out. If I feel I'm really behind, double bogey.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

#FTFY

not that any of my suggestions were realistically going to be instituted, but bogey max? so if you dump one into the pond in front of a par 3, you're walking straight to the next tee box? yeah right.

As has been stated previously, if you suck, the course is packed, the group in front of you has already finished the next hole, DAMN SKIPPY you're better be walking to the tee box after dunking it on a Par 3. #10 at Diamond Ridge comes to mind. :golfer: :drag:

Thought #2: Although, in most public courses, (Pine Ridge comes to mind), how long would it be before someone complains that the ranger keeps picking on people of Asian decent? :busted_cop:

Gonna say a few things:

Tex tossing his salad is messy either way.

Just played PoSho, am playing Whiskey tomorrow. Might be able to squeeze in a local round tomorrow afternoon or Monday once the wife is gone traveling.

Would do the BR/Westfields double if it were the right day. Both are close.

GTF 1.0:

Minimum 10 minute tee times but also that courses matched up singles better. I play a lot as a single but have been tossed right in between doubles/triples. Even I know this makes no sense. I’m headed to Primland in two weeks so I’m happy to see the times spread out.

Enforce ready golf. I played today and I’m sure my partners wondered why I’d take off to my ball (provided there were no safety issues) when it was clearly in front of theirs. And if you lose your ball, just give it up and grab another. I see too many people that can’t track their ball search forever. If you’re not playing for real, pick up when you’re double par.

Not sure about the drink cart. Don’t disagree with Chief’s anecdote but it rarely is a problem to me.

Play from the correct tees. Handicap doesn’t always dictate the right boxes but it can contribute. You can ask for cards but I’ve seen single digit cappers take way longer than hacks, measuring every damn putt like it’s The Open.

GTF 2.:

I like playing fast enough that it keeps me in rhythm but not so fast that I feel rushed. It can be different paces but as long as I’m moving, I’m good. With that said, 4.5 hours is way too long.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

If you're ever in the Portsmouth, NH area, the Smuttynose Brewery is one of the best facilities/tours that I've seen, really worth the trip.

Also, Ol Grundy Humper is the greatest beer name.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

OK, chief, you can't take away cart girls because there goes Boogs Tinder.

Can I do a 5 hour round on a Saturday morning at a busy course? Sure. You know the score going in.

Stuck behind a threesome taking a 2:30 side because they have no idea what they're doing, and chatting, and taking forever to put clubs away, etc... Really drives me nuts.

Sometimes I'm like eagle said... Hey, I'm out in the sun on a golf course. Got my pipe. Got my beer. Not exactly looking to make that end quickly. But idiots in front of you are going to pi$$ you off no matter the pace. And I will not hold up other golfers out of principle.

Looks like Newport National should happen tomorrow. Rainy and windy today and trying to get settled.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green