MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Played hooky today and I'm glad I did. Finally broke 80 at Cannon Ridge.

Swing was just working for the most part except the yardage on approach shots. That was perplexing except that I was playing the dewsweeper time so maybe that had an effect. Just know that things sounded good but I kept missing the greens, mostly to the left. Either way, I'll take it.

Some of the tee boxes were soaked but the fairways were in decent shape considering the recent rain, some with a little roll, too. The course isn't pristine but it's better than the Oakmont round I played there awhile back. Just needs some TLC and it'll be good to go. Isn't the toughest course but it definitely fits my game. I've had two of my best scores ever there so I'm sure I'll be back. I'm sure I'll be back to reality score-wise, though...but it's fun while it lasts.

Nicely done on the good round and score. Thanks for the feedback on CR conditions too. I really want to get down there this season. Maybe you, Johnny T, and a few more of us can coordinate a good day for a round over the next month.

Or rounds.. Serious about the 36...if it fits people schedule

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Played hooky today and I'm glad I did. Finally broke 80 at Cannon Ridge.

Swing was just working for the most part except the yardage on approach shots. That was perplexing except that I was playing the dewsweeper time so maybe that had an effect. Just know that things sounded good but I kept missing the greens, mostly to the left. Either way, I'll take it.

Some of the tee boxes were soaked but the fairways were in decent shape considering the recent rain, some with a little roll, too. The course isn't pristine but it's better than the Oakmont round I played there awhile back. Just needs some TLC and it'll be good to go. Isn't the toughest course but it definitely fits my game. I've had two of my best scores ever there so I'm sure I'll be back. I'm sure I'll be back to reality score-wise, though...but it's fun while it lasts.

Nicely done on the good round and score. Thanks for the feedback on CR conditions too. I really want to get down there this season. Maybe you, Johnny T, and a few more of us can coordinate a good day for a round over the next month.

Thanks. I'm always up for it. Am playing Primland weekend after next but can probably swing another day. I'm off every other Friday (last Friday was my last Friday off).

CR isn't perfect but it isn't bad. Greens need some work and the bunkers need to be tended to--although there are no mounds of sand in them or much sand period--but at least it's gotten better since opening. Probably a little long/hilly in places to walk but it can be done. It's pretty wide open so that helps, too.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

With the way my driving has been, I need wide open!

How are those DPCs treating you? I miss those clubs.

Very well. So glad I went back to them. Also went to DG Pros in them which have been excellent. So of course with me loving the DPC/DG Pro combo, I went out and bought a set of the new JPX EZ Forged. Now trying to decide what to shaft them with. Probably leaning toward those X100s you have. ;)

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I've been thinking more about the home course discussions we had last week, so I decided to head to eaglegrint.com to pull some data on my performance at Hobbits. I grabbed my performance in relation to par by hole, and tossed it into excel.

g3mLIWX.png

I'm thinking about how I can alter my approach on the holes that are above my average score in relation to par (those in orange and red). I know it doesn't travel anywhere, but why not try to optimize my performance on my home course?

My par 5 performance has markedly improved since I've started treating my second shots far more strategically, so I'm going to ignore those holes.

That leaves holes 3, 6, 10, and 13.

I don't have hard data on those specific holes, but I think I've got ideas on how to improve them, based on my recollection playing them.

Hole 3 : It's kind of an awkward drive, but I've rarely hit a tee ball there that essentially equates to a penalty stroke (EDIT: per eaglegrint, I hit the FW 80% of the time on this hole). I hit one about 4 feet off the fairway to the right last time I played, and was blocked by the tree that's ~150 yards out. That's about the most penalizing drive I can remember hitting on that hole, period. I feel like the majority of my lost strokes come from missing that green short, specifically in the front bunker (EDIT: per eaglegrint, I'm hitting this green an abysmal 30% of the time. That's generally with a wedge, or short iron. Bleh!). It's a hell of a tough up and down from that bunker, to any pin location. Proposed Solution - Club up on approach shots, and play more conservatively to a center of the green yardage/target.

Hole 6 : Absolutely, positively, 100% caused by tee shots that put me in jail. I swear, at least 1/3 times I play this hole, I hit this weird flare into the right trees. I pretty much don't hit that shot anywhere else on the course. Every once in a while I save par from the trees, but more often than not, it's a bogey or worse. The tough thing about trying to alter my strategy here is that I don't want to get too conservative with it. It's not a particularly narrow hole, and a good drive leaves you with a wedge in hand, to a downhill green, that tilts back towards you. It's a great place to try to stick an approach and get a good birdie look. I could try laying back with hybrid off the tee. On a good shot, I'd probably still get a 9-iron or so in hand for the approach. On a stinker, I could end up with 170 into the hole, which I guess isn't horrible. I'm not aiming particularly aggressively (at least not on purpose) with the driver, and I can't aim much more left without bringing trees left of the fairway in play. Proposed Solution - TBD. Need to find a more effective strategy off this tee for sure. Might be best to just hit a half dozen balls off this tee at twilight sometime, to see what I feel good with, and puts me in a good position with an average shot.

Hole 10 : Driver FTW! Just kidding. This hole is all about the tee shot, and I'm actually faring much better on this hole on average, now that I've started hitting hybrid off the tee. The more I get comfortable with still having to aim pretty far right with hybrid, the better it's getting. It's just not an easy hole, but I think I'm headed in the right direction already. Proposed Solution - More conservative club choice off the tee. Already in progress.

Hole 13 : I'm not sure how 14 is rated higher than 13, because I find 13 much more difficult. For this one, I don't think the tee shot is to blame (EDIT: per eaglegrint, I hit the FW 80% of the time on this hole). I've hit maybe 2 tee balls on this hole in history that cost me strokes. It's a pretty wide fairway, and I don't hit the ball far enough to make the trees on the left ~100 yards out a factor when I hit one to the left portion of the fairway. From my recollection, it's all about consistently missing this green in the worst spots (EDIT: And just missing in general, apparently. I'm hitting this green a pitiful 20% of the time, according to eaglegrint). I've come up short into the front right bunker many times, and it's an awfully difficult up and down (at least for me) from there. Auto bogey. Even at it's furthest point, it doesn't quite reach middle of the green depth. No reason to be dumping shots into that bunker. It's a very deep green, but in general, a true middle yardage won't really hurt you on the hole. If the pin is in the front, erring short and left beats the hell out of erring into the bunker short right. With the pin in the back, long actually isn't bad. Proposed Solution - When the pin is up, play aggressively with a shorter club, knowing short left is a good miss. For middle and back pins, take the longer club, knowing that flying to the middle or back of the green are totally fine.

Will any of this fantasizing amount to anything? Who knows. It has certainly been interesting to step back and take a look at things, and think about them in relation to how I recall playing those holes.

The fact that your scores are so low on the par 3s indicates to me that the problem is either your tee game or your strategy/course management. Are the approach shots on 3, 6, 10, or 13 tougher than the tee shot on 16? I don't think so.

#13 is definitely the most difficult par 4 on that course. And I think the tee ball is the toughest part. I always hit a bad fade and end up blocked out by that stupid tree on the right. But since that isn't your problem, your strategy is good. Long right of that green is pretty safe and gives a good shot at up and down for most pins.

Going less than driver on #6 is probably smart for you. I wouldn't be concerned about having 9 vs a wedge. For you, I'd say the problem is that a good drive can put you through the fairway and in the far trees. It's not close to as bad as being on the right, but it's still a tough spot to come in from. You only have to hit it 220 off the tee to be around the top of the hill and have a downhill shot from 145 yards. If you are still carrying 5-wood that might be a good choice.

On #3, I see no reason for you not to score well. I also see no reason that is the toughest ranked handicap hole either. 9, 13, and 14 are all tougher 4s than that IMO. I've missed a lot left of the green there, and it gives you a good look at an up and down.

Awwww...yes (heading home for a week)

It's a dry heat ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Fab- I think you should hit 3 wood on 6

You will still be left in with short to med iron and you can aim more left off the tee without going into the rough. Using driver forces you to aim more right to avoid the rough line on the left.

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

The fact that your scores are so low on the par 3s indicates to me that the problem is either your tee game or your strategy/course management. Are the approach shots on 3, 6, 10, or 13 tougher than the tee shot on 16? I don't think so.

#13 is definitely the most difficult par 4 on that course. And I think the tee ball is the toughest part. I always hit a bad fade and end up blocked out by that stupid tree on the right. But since that isn't your problem, your strategy is good. Long right of that green is pretty safe and gives a good shot at up and down for most pins.

Going less than driver on #6 is probably smart for you. I wouldn't be concerned about having 9 vs a wedge. For you, I'd say the problem is that a good drive can put you through the fairway and in the far trees. It's not close to as bad as being on the right, but it's still a tough spot to come in from. You only have to hit it 220 off the tee to be around the top of the hill and have a downhill shot from 145 yards. If you are still carrying 5-wood that might be a good choice.

On #3, I see no reason for you not to score well. I also see no reason that is the toughest ranked handicap hole either. 9, 13, and 14 are all tougher 4s than that IMO. I've missed a lot left of the green there, and it gives you a good look at an up and down.

I'm just straight up missing the 3rd green way too much, with short irons and wedges no less. Hopefully playing to a longer yardage will help alleviate that.

13 is a tough approach. It's usually a long shot, with the ball below your feet. Still, I've got to avoid that front bunker more effectively.

Fab- I think you should hit 3 wood on 6

You will still be left in with short to med iron and you can aim more left off the tee without going into the rough. Using driver forces you to aim more right to avoid the rough line on the left.

I'm still afraid of hitting fairway wood off the tee, but I'll probably give hybrid a go next time I play the hole.

You donks are falling right into JJ's trap. Am I the only one that sees this?

18bwkw.jpg

<hurries to log into WRX>

I'm not a ping guy- but those iblades look amazing

JJ: 3

Donks: -3

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X