2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

This had me cracking up

I have no idea how they did altitude adjustments this past week.

I was all set to pick DJ for my OAD pools last week and THIS is exactly why I didn't pull the trigger. #donkey

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

. I guess DJ figured the yardages and just subtracted a club.

Do you think they had trouble confusing "subtract a club" in the beginning.

"200 yards, normal 6-iron, subtract a club... so that's like minus one, so a 5... ish... 7 iron..."

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

My favorite Austin Johnson moment is when he accidentally dropped DJ's ball (which was currently in play, marked on the green) in to the water at the island green at Sawgress.

http://www.golfdiges...o-retrieve-ball

I never expected Texglish from you too.

Toulon Palm Beach

This had me cracking up

Reminds me of this somehow, except Watson is a little sharper.

http://www.progolfweekly.com/watch-tom-watson-chew-caddie-wrong-yardage-us-senior-open/

Toulon Palm Beach

This had me cracking up

I was all set to pick DJ for my OAD pools last week and THIS is exactly why I didn't pull the trigger. #donkey

You can make up some ground in those pools at the WGC events. DJ won $400k more this week than he did at the Genesis Open.

The winner of the US Open this year will receive $2.16 million. Make sure you pick the winner there haha

In one of the teasers for Tonight's interview (Phil and Feherty), Phil says, "you either need to be really smart or really dumb to play this game."

I love that quote. I want to hear where he goes with it.

Phil's outfit is spectacular. Wilson's leather flash sale, circa 1996.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Not sure why it never occurred to me, but Austin and Dustin as 2 boys' names? Must have had so many mistaken yellings at when they were growing up.

"Austin, get your @ss over here... no, I mean Dustin! What are you doing here, Austin? Where's Dustin? What, the neighbor said Austin did it?? Screw it, you're both getting the belt, you didn't do anything wrong now, but I know you will sooner or later."

Toulon Palm Beach

'getting the belt' is so old school. once i got big enough, i laughed at the belt. that's when my mom went and got a broom a chased me around the house with that.

ah, childhood. such fond memories.

note: just so we're clear here, please take this post in the jestful tone with which it was written. i never got beaten with a belt or broom, though i'm sure i deserved it on more than a few occasions. i broke so many windows when i was growing up. they were all accidents, i swear. looking forward to the time when my boy tries to kick a soccer ball over the house, just to see if he can.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Maybe the best part of playing today was leaving my box of TP5Xs on my kitchen counter rather than taking them with me lol. And now the forecast shows 1-3" this weekend?

No thanks.

But it was an awesome day to get out, was able to fit in almost 4 hours of playing. Jumped around a lot bc I wanted to replay some of the holes that had just opened. Love a lot of the work that they did. Still a good amount of sodded areas that need a couple months of good season weather to completely grow in. But very happy given how good it looks already. A ton of stone wall work done around all of the water that looks amazing, it was a month late but well worth it.

One of my favorite new holes was a par 3 that they completely blew up. Used to be a throw away hole (IMO) with a stagnant old pond in front that used to get covered in algae.

For the new hole they filled in the pond and built a series of cascading, well, they're only a couple feet high each so I dont know if those count as waterfalls. But it will be a continual flow of water and wont be nasty like it was before. Built new squared off tee boxes (actually did this on most holes to give more options). Then they took out some of the junk bunkers, built one great looking one and added a runoff/collection area. Plays @ 170 from the blues and 185 or so from the back. Should be awesome once the green grows in.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Gorgeous man!

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Nice DC. Nowhere to miss, eh? I assume that is creek front/left

Creek is front left and no, lol, not a ton of space to miss now.

trying a little electro-stimulation on my foot now - TENS machine - for the plantar fasciitis. It's getting there. One more shot at the end of the month. I am a little concerned about the amount of walking I'll be doing in Florida next week. It'll be a good test.

Now the important stuff - last night for 50% trade bonus at Cally pre-owned. No code needed. Global Golf has a 15% bonus with the code trade15 Wife is working, DTM is Monkey Fist IPA from Shipyard Brewing in Maine. Not bad, not the best. Getting the job done. Time to shop!

Hey guys, I just moved to the area. I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions for really nice public courses in northern VA. I'm in Arlington and any suggestions would be great! Thanks

My two cents (in no particular order):

Potomac Shores: One of my fav public courses in NoVa. Unfortunately, they're building an ton of homes/condos/etc. out there. They don't really come into play but construction is changing the look around the course. Traffic can be a nightmare getting to/from.

Raspberry Falls: A ways out in Leesburg but nice Gary Player layout. Normally good service.

Laurel Hill: My favorite (and highest priced) muni in the area. Layout runs through the old DC prison grounds.

Twin Lakes: Easy to walk pair of munis. The Lakes is the easier of the two. Be nice to the girl behind the counter...we might be related.

Bull Run: I like playing it (it's close by) but rarely do unless I get a good rate. Course conditions have varied this year.

Stonewall: Closest to my house and the highest rack rate. Conditions are normally really good but the pace can be murderous.

Old Hickory: Nice course but, if you're like me, houses can come into play on a few holes.

South Riding/Pleasant Valley: Used to play SR quite a bit at the right price. Only played PV once and the course was slow and in terrible condition. Haven't been back.

Herndon/1757: Both are easy to walk and a little short (HC tips out at 6200, 1757 at 6600). Don't get the lefts on HC's 1/13 or you might be dodging cars. Play 1757 now while price is right.

VA Oaks: Hate the place. Friend tells me it's for sale and they tried to pitch memberships to residents, who I guess weren't interested. It is normally cheap, though.

Bristow Manor: Would be good except for the Par 5s that Puppet mentioned.

If I lived in Arlington, I'd check out MoCo/Frederick courses (Whiskey Creek, Blue Mash, Worthington Manor, Musket Ridge, etc.). Probably not after work courses due to traffic--and higher weekend rack rates--but nice tracks.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

You can go out and try to steer the ball around and hope that as you hit more targets, you can start free-ing up.

OR

You can go out and swing freely and maybe miss some targets, but hope with time you get more accurate.

I'm a HUGE FAN of number 2. You'll never get there using method 1 because you're always going to have misses. At some point, you just need to get yourself set up, trust it, and bash it.

But, good alignment on the course is a huge skill. Only once you get that can you trust your swing enough to be free. I've gone through phases where I do it with body, club face, picking targets within my visual space of the ball.

sometimes swing mechanics are also impacted by this approach. for me when i turn the body back and through i hit it pretty good. if it hit it scared that is essentially not turning back.

didn't lose a ball today. shot a two over 37. (got very lucky to make par on the second hole but did hit five of nine greens)

the-vasquez-shimmy-o.gif

This had me cracking up

well ... DJ (unlike a lot of players??????) went to the range leading up to the tournament and hit a trillion shots on trackman to figure out the altitude adjustment. he played short shots low and therefore needed less adjustment on those shots. no substitute for work!

827, what would you do?

f4b6e8cc-ef84-4337-ac74-d56e9825f941.jpg?impolicy=desktop

Depends on how the rest of the porch is laid out as well as the neighborhood. But probably same thing, just without the smart-@ss idea to put the doormat on top.

However, if I don't care for the neighborhood even with a release notice, or it is Christmas Season, I'd request a signature in person for security purposes.

Again, Courier discretion as I described MANY pages ago when Sully was fussy about a delivery that was held in the station for a few days because it wasn't due.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Those new teeing grounds make my jimmies a little tingly.

TETRIS

Artsy Answer: MONDRIAN

I love the look of the Tetris-box. The practical reason was that with the older smaller tee boxes they didn't have enough room to really spread out the tee markers enough during the week/month. Love looking at the old overheads on Bing and the new ones on Google.

So I've hit a couple scuffy full wedge shots lately off of perfect lies in the Bermuda fairways. Is there anything to the idea that my very low (@ 6*) bounce wedges may not be as compatable in the fluffy grass as something in the 12* range would be?

(Please note your answer will have no effect on whether or not I did or did not order a couple new wedges late last night)

DC..

More bounce!

What did you buy?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Those new teeing grounds make my jimmies a little tingly.

TETRIS

Artsy Answer: MONDRIAN

I love the look of the Tetris-box. The practical reason was that with the older smaller tee boxes they didn't have enough room to really spread out the tee markers enough during the week/month. Love looking at the old overheads on Bing and the new ones on Google.

So I've hit a couple scuffy full wedge shots lately off of perfect lies in the Bermuda fairways. Is there anything to the idea that my very low (@ 6*) bounce wedges may not be as compatable in the fluffy grass as something in the 12* range would be?

(Please note your answer will have no effect on whether or not I did or did not order a couple new wedges late last night)

I'm not sure what you mean by scuffy, but yeah. . .my 60º/04º is dog sh1t except for pretty specific lies. You can slide right under it if you open the face too much, and if you don't open the face, basically, you have very little margin of error. Minor changes to AoA and low point and have major effects on the results.

I've been thinking about going for something in that 58º/12º because on that 30-50 yard stuff, sometimes the 54º isn't flexible enough and the 60º is too risky.

Bermuda can change, too. I actually like the 60º for a stock bermuda lie, sitting up a little. I can get away with a little bit fat. It SEEMS like the wedge should be perfect for tighter lies, but it's not. There is NO margin of error if the ground is soft. If the ground is hard, but not rock hard, I can get away with hitting it a little fat. If the ground is rock hard, there's a risk of bouncing into the ball, so I like to get steeper, but getting steep with a 60º is too variable.

But, if I get into playing more at Waverly this year (which tends to have thicker rough around the greens), I like having the option of a knife's edge.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green