2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I had some training right outside of Chicago at the end of last week and decided to take the clubs with me as I knew I would have some downtime. I was able to get out Thursday for an evening 9 at Schaumburg Golf Club. It is a pretty nice muni with 27 holes. I paid $12 to walk. Great deal. They are in the middle of renovating one of the 9's and are going to do one 9 a year until they are all done. It is going to look great when they are done from the looks of the course they have started on. I played pretty well. Hit my driver probably the best I have hit it all year. I got paired up with a guy who immigrated over from Pakistan. Nice guy. On about 5 or 6 he invited me over to his house after the round for a barbecue. I politely declined...

On Friday my training ended a little before noon and I headed over to Cog Hill to try and get 18 in. I couldn't get out on the Dubsdread course (hosted the BMW Championship a few times and the Western Open a bunch) but was able to get out on the Ravines course. I liked the layout. There were some interesting holes that made you think. The finish left me wanting a little more. 17 is a 305 yard dogleg left par 4 where you are pretty much forced to lay back off the tee and then wedge on. 18 is a 400 yard straight away par 4 where you can hit it basically anywhere off of the tee. But for $57 it was well worth it. The greens are some of the biggest that I have ever played on. It was definitely important to know where the pins were. They were a tad on the slow side but rolled nicely though. I continued my good driving. I had 2 loose swings that led to double bogeys on the front. Made a bunch of 2-putt pars on the back and carded an 80.

The Ravines course did have a cool feature with a 19th hole that plays over water and parallel to the 18th green on the Dubsdread course.

You get to see the Dubsdread course a bunch of times while playing the Ravines course. It looks sweet. Very impressive/intimidating bunkering in the fairways and around the greens. They can stretch it out to ~7500 yards. If I am ever back in the Chicago area I would love to play it.

Flying to Atlanta tomorrow am, spending exactly 12 hours there, then flying to Ft. Lauderdale at 8:15pm.

Will have time for at least one round before the evening flight. Playing at Mirror Lake

Should be able to get a round in on Thursday either at PGA National or Lago Mar Country Club before the flight back to DC. Weather looks a little bit stormy. We'll see.

Also, Drone Flyovers should be mandatory for every golf course website in 2017. Look at hole #7. Maybe they should have tried that one again?

Live Grinting will be taking place.

no one is posting i guess i have too

I've posted before that I think setting golf goals is hard. For example, one "goal" that i had in mind for this year was to have every one of my last 20 scores to be a single digit differential. It's kinda stupid though because one bad round and you're sunk. Bad rounds happen. Well ... when you look up my last 20 scores in the MSGA every single one is a single digit differential! Oh but wait. 18 scores are full rounds. Two of them are just nine holes. Go back one more score? 10.0 differential. dagggger.

This has been a really strange year for me. For the most part I've played well and just not put up those couple of low rounds that drop the handicap. My average differential and score are both almost two shots lower. Just no difference in handicap. I turn every 75 into 77 and every 77 into 79.

I struggle with laying the club off. Sometimes it's almost nothing. Sometimes it's minor. Sometimes it's pretty bad. I cam back from vacation two weeks ago and it was a MESS. I hit some balls with FABB and he was just like you HAVE to fix that. Sometimes during the year you don't want to spend time really working on your swing but i needed to get it back within a sorta acceptable range. i've been taking videos. they're so interesting. See the screen shot from a video i took sunday. It's funny that hand eye coordination can work against you. This was a pretty good shot. Very solid strike. Nice traj. Tiny cut. But that's timing. you can see the manipulations i do to get the club into a position to hit it. so to be more consistent and better it's gotta get better

IMG_1810.jpg

got out to blue mash yesterday with boogs. our third was a random indian guy who had on lime green puma pants. stylish as F. i made several jokes about trading bottoms with him (i had on a lime green shirt). he decided to leave after 9 holes. hopefully, those two things were related.

actually, for real, they weren't. we know mutual members of the persian mafia. lots of laughs with him and boogs.

i convinced both of them all to tee it from from the tippecanoes, and they obliged. blue mash is very playable from back there. a couple of the par 3s are intimidating, but not insane. i'm still working out my revised strategy for holes 7&8 (back to back bogies) but it's not overly punishing. basically, anything after bethpage black would be a walk in the park. i hit the ball well and terrible. had 27 putts and a ton of up and downs, which frankly isn't really sustainable IMHO... made a few 8-10 footers and all the little ones. no birds. really felt like a mid-80s round, ball-striking wise. greens are healing nicely. golfboard was fun, again. i love how they let GB riders take it up to the tee box and fringe... basically, treating it as a push cart. cart path only does not apply either. i went straight down holes 7 & 8.

IMG_7211.jpg

in case anyone was wondering, the cost is $15 extra on top of regular riding rate.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

no one is posting i guess i have too

I've posted before that I think setting golf goals is hard. For example, one "goal" that i had in mind for this year was to have every one of my last 20 scores to be a single digit differential. It's kinda stupid though because one bad round and you're sunk. Bad rounds happen. Well ... when you look up my last 20 scores in the MSGA every single one is a single digit differential! Oh but wait. 18 scores are full rounds. Two of them are just nine holes. Go back one more score? 10.0 differential. dagggger.

This has been a really strange year for me. For the most part I've played well and just not put up those couple of low rounds that drop the handicap. My average differential and score are both almost two shots lower. Just no difference in handicap. I turn every 75 into 77 and every 77 into 79.

I struggle with laying the club off. Sometimes it's almost nothing. Sometimes it's minor. Sometimes it's pretty bad. I cam back from vacation two weeks ago and it was a MESS. I hit some balls with FABB and he was just like you HAVE to fix that. Sometimes during the year you don't want to spend time really working on your swing but i needed to get it back within a sorta acceptable range. i've been taking videos. they're so interesting. See the screen shot from a video i took sunday. It's funny that hand eye coordination can work against you. This was a pretty good shot. Very solid strike. Nice traj. Tiny cut. But that's timing. you can see the manipulations i do to get the club into a position to hit it. so to be more consistent and better it's gotta get better

IMG_1810.jpg

What is the Hive approved app for recording swing videos?

in case anyone was wondering, the cost is $15 extra on top of regular riding rate.

Eagle - how many do they have at Blue Mash? Will they have them available for the Hive event?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

I usually just take videos with the stock camera app, and import to V1. Anything that'll let you advance one frame at a time is good.

I mainly like to be able to monitor my progress when I'm working on something. I also use it to hassle 2MT sometimes :). Right now I'm trying to feel like I fully set the club by waist high going back. The actual goal is to get it fully set by left arm parallel going back. When I check on video, I'm still not quite there. I don't actually want to set it as quickly as I feel like I'm trying to, so having the video feedback to know when I've reached the actual goal will let me know when I can stop exaggerating it.

The question city asked "why are you making that change" is so Important. Like "early" set. Why? My set is uber late. Downside? Try hitting a wedge when the backswing isn't long enough to correct. Not good. Then try to hit a 3/4 wedge or 3/4 anything. REALLY not good. I'm working on early set. It also helps prevent my wrist roll move that is part of laid off

The question city asked "why are you making that change" is so Important. Like "early" set. Why? My set is uber late. Downside? Try hitting a wedge when the backswing isn't long enough to correct. Not good. Then try to hit a 3/4 wedge or 3/4 anything. REALLY not good. I'm working on early set. It also helps prevent my wrist roll move that is part of laid off

Stricker. Great wedge player. One of the best at 3/4 shots. Little to no wrist set. Jason Day, similar. What does that mean for you, no idea? Gotta do you, babe.

I think early set shortens the swing. Good change if you tend to overrun. I think easier to overrun and over rotate with less or late wrist set. So I guess it depends on the problem. I'm no pro, but I slept in a Holiday Inn Express once.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Eagle - how many do they have at Blue Mash? Will they have them available for the Hive event?

1... for now. hopefully 4 by next year.

unless someone else is renting it, it should be available for one lucky hiver.

you could call a few days in advance and reserve it.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

theyre both pretty far on the scale of lack of set. I agree. And video verified and compared I am even less set. and laid off. I am a terrible wedge player.

Take it from me, don't be too hard on yourself. Might help to work on 9 to 3 swings to shorten the swing and still get rotation and acceleration on less than full shots. Should help the full swing too. Will lead to a more natural wrist set, too. I've found that forcing set early can lead to over rotation of the club face and getting the club too far back on the inside. Speaking for what works for me, a guy who has late wrist set (it feels that way anyhow).

Cameron Newport, 34"

So Eagle raised a point in a comment on my recent round at Willow Springs (par 62) which I also noticed. Even though I am posting these rounds as practice they are lowering my scoring average. Artificially lowering because 1. these are being entered as practice and 2. it's a par 62. I realize that it is a simple average of all scores and if you started weighting based on par then you enter the whole differential argument. An interesting observation as to the scoring average stat on the Grint. It is an easy way to really lower your scoring average if you are into that sort of thing.

So Eagle raised a point in a comment on my recent round at Willow Springs (par 62) which I also noticed. Even though I am posting these rounds as practice they are lowering my scoring average. Artificially lowering because 1. these are being entered as practice and 2. it's a par 62. I realize that it is a simple average of all scores and if you started weighting based on par then you enter the whole differential argument. Just an interesting point I have been pondering. It is an easy way to really lower your scoring average if you are into that sort of thing.

Vain capper..

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Another way of lowering your scoring average: play the red tees! :)

And FTR: I think LilBae would have a low scoring average no matter what course he's on.

I want to play WS just so I have a round in the 60s in this decade. Probably end up shooting 70 tho, lol.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Another way of lowering your scoring average: play the red tees! :)

And FTR: I think LilBae would have a low scoring average no matter what course he's on.

I want to play WS just so I have a round in the 60s in this decade. Probably end up shooting 70 tho, lol.

Just think... if the el Natural can shoot a few under par .... we all will know a Mr. 59 (DO IT DO IT!)

protos F4

Holy cow. Guy in wld just snapped a shaft on his follow thru, and the majority of the club went into the crowd. Triple X, and broke right below the grip.

http://www.golfchannel.com/video/patterson-snaps-club-volvik-world-long-drive-round-16/

WLD is sooooo lame. I honestly do not understand the appeal of it. It's the NASCAR element of golf. That head flying into the crowd was like a tire flying into the stands in NASCAR. Cool.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Female driving 340 with a stock driver impressed me..

protos F4

Female driving 340 with a stock driver impressed me..

It's impressive, it just isn't golf, and i can't stand how often TGC airs the stuff. Show golf, please and thank you.

Now, it'd be cool to have these folks play a round of golf. That I'd watch.

Cameron Newport, 34"

WLD is sooooo lame. I honestly do not understand the appeal of it. It's the NASCAR element of golf. That head flying into the crowd was like a tire flying into the stands in NASCAR. Cool.

So the guy who swings the fastest and hits it the farthest in the thread doesn't understand why mere mortals would enjoy watching other people do what they cant? No kidding...(/s)

I really like watching the guys like Sadlowski that had more "golf-like" swings. I don't think he's done anything in his mini tour starts and honestly don't know if he's even still out there. But I'll still DVR/watch it. I get why people might not like it though.

Look I'm all for as much golf coverage as possible...but what exactly are they going to show on the Tuesday night after Labor Day weekend at 9p? Another showing of Tin Cup? I think in the slot leading up to it they had a replay of the Boston final round. I at least give them props for having some sort of live golf programming.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash