MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

You know what tees I hate. . .

71ZEPXFsXVL._SL1500_.jpg

They look like tees for people who play Cobra drivers, wear "dad sneakers" and drive hyundais.

Only take offense to that statement if you do all three of those things. None are actually bad by themselves. Except the dad sneakers.

"what? They're comfortable."

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Phew. Don't drive a Hyundai.

Honestly, I have no idea what dad sneakers are.

But I did pick up a pair of FJ Versalux on sale last week. By far, the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn out of the box.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I slipped on a full shot yesterday. I don't like when that happens. I can't remember the last time it happened.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Anyone seen this site before?

I was thinking I could be like Fabb and try to go on some private courses, but this guy found a way, and he makes money doing it:

http://breakingeighty.com/club

$500. Yep, $500 to join an Internet forum. We're not charging enough. What would be your reason for joining? To get on exclusive courses? Nay, check it out:

hat Type of Clubs are People Members at?

We have people from all over the world, and most of our members belong at clubs that are architecturally significant. Meaning, if you’re in a city and looking to play golf, these are courses that are worth taking the time to check out - and in many cases are worth taking a trip just for the courses alone.

Can you provide a list of member clubs?

No. If your primary interest for joining is to get access to other clubs, then this isn’t the community for you. We’re about the people first and foremost.

And of course its about the people, with the exception of this gem in FAQs:

I Know a Member at a Top 100 Course, Want an Intro?

YES. ABSOLUTELY. PLEASE.

My favorite part about this adventure is figuring out how to play some of the Top 100 courses. So far each one I’ve played has been due to a very different route. I love getting to meet new people, and playing with members of these courses is always a really special experience and full of great stories.

So if you’d like to help out with an intro, shoot me an email.

I wish I thought of it first, really.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I slipped on a full shot yesterday. I don't like when that happens. I can't remember the last time it happened.

I had one of the worst slips I've ever experienced at Waverly last week. I was on a level lie in the middle of the 3rd fairway, about 110 yards from the hole. It seemed to be a pretty dry spot, even though the course was still water logged. I was wearing these (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013UHSEW0/ref=twister_B014GY56OU?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1), which have less than 10 rounds on them. My right foot moonwalked straight back in transition. I hit so far behind the ball it barely went 40'ish yards.

It's not always that severe, but any time my foot slips during my swing, it's just like that. Right foot moonwalks in transition. I guess it's something about my swing.

It basically never happens in aggressively spiked shoes, though. #teamspikes

Anyone seen this site before?

I wish I thought of it first, really.

My first inclination -- as it usually is -- was to make fun of that guy. Especially because he writes things like this, "The only way this Club works is if we have extremely high quality people."

But, I gotta say. . .that's not a terrible idea. Sounds like he's pretty sincere about meeting golfers and maybe finding a "communal" way to get onto golf courses that might otherwise not be accessible.

I don't know if you can really get the critical mass that a forum needs while being exclusionary, but the main idea isn't bad.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

zen golf can basically be summed up into two words: awareness and acceptance.

just like the 5 stages of grief, the quicker you get there, the less chance you have of having the negative carryover to affect the next shot, the next hole, the next 9, the next round.

1. denial

450255.jpg

2. anger

472945.gif?b64lines=

3. fear

475864.gif?b64lines=d2hhdCdzIGFmdGVyIGZlYXI_ICAKd2hhdCdzIGFmdGVyIGZlYXI_

4. bargaining

478984.jpg?b64lines=RG9jLCB5b3UgZ290dGEgCmdldCBtZSBvdXQgb2YgdGhpcy4KCgoKCgoKCgpJJ2xsIG1ha2UgaXQgd29ydGggCnlvdXIgd2hpbGUuIA==

5. acceptance

482955.gif?b64lines=IFdlbGwsIHdlIGFsbCBnb3QgdG8gc3Vjawogc29tZXRpbWVzLg==

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I had one of the worst slips I've ever experienced at Waverly last week. I was on a level lie in the middle of the 3rd fairway, about 110 yards from the hole. It seemed to be a pretty dry spot, even though the course was still water logged. I was wearing these (https://www.amazon.c...ding=UTF8&psc=1), which have less than 10 rounds on them. My right foot moonwalked straight back in transition. I hit so far behind the ball it barely went 40'ish yards.

It's not always that severe, but any time my foot slips during my swing, it's just like that. Right foot moonwalks in transition. I guess it's something about my swing.

It basically never happens in aggressively spiked shoes, though. #teamspikes

I sent the ball so far right, I couldn't find it. I either shanked it, or toed it, or just slipped so bad (yes, moonwalk) that I hit it with an open path, open face. Actually surprised I hit the ball because I almost fell on my face. I dropped another and hit it, and by the time I went to look for the first one, I couldn't remember the line.

This was on hole 15 at TVO. I hit a nice long draw down the left side (and still had 195 in).

It was one of the Get Sums so I didn't worry about it.

I don't know what to make of the Get Sums. I was hitting 2/3 balls off every tee and 3/4 balls into every green and it was like every time I hit a bad shot it was with one of the Get Sums. I can't blame the ball on that though. They were actually fine coming into greens with wedges. On some drives, they just seemed to fall out of the sky, and almost seemed to knuckle a little.

The few times I caught a GS and a Tour Ball off the tee, they went similar distances, but I didn't like the look of the flight of the Get Sum.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I picked up these last week

http://www.footjoy.com/prosl/000PSL.html?dwvar_000PSL_color=53533#start=1

they did well on my walk around Hialeah.

I think preparation is helpful to good mental golf. I normally mark my balls. But of course you end up with randoms in your bag. Pre tournament I take out every unmarked ball. You know the one time you're flustered and would grab an unmarked ball would be after you've hit a bad shot and need to get another ball...

Even the stuff the figure out what clubs to hit helps. Why allow the emotion of the round to determine your choices vs thought through decisions beforehand. Hillendale Friday they moved the first tees WAY up. My partner and I were trying to decide what club to hit. I wasn't confident I could carry the creek with driver and thought I could get there with a three wood so I just played it as a three shot hole. My partner one hopped driver into the creek. I just felt like that would not help my head on the first hole to be taking a drop.

HELICOPTER HELICOPTER

giphy.gif

My friend Josh was at a hotel in Toronto, ended up at the urinal next to him and said "Well...I don't need to look because I've already seen YOUR pen1s"

Had a friend in Europe a couple weeks ago. Needed to talk to him so I used FaceTime to avoid data for him. He answered clearly fresh out of the shower. mid convo phone to Dong. He couldn't help himself

HELICOPTER HELICOPTER

giphy.gif

My friend Josh was at a hotel in Toronto, ended up at the urinal next to him and said "Well...I don't need to look because I've already seen YOUR pen1s"

Had a friend in Europe a couple weeks ago. Needed to talk to him so I used FaceTime to avoid data for him. He answered clearly fresh out of the shower. mid convo phone to Dong. He couldn't help himself

CSvUYJvW4AAt2Gc.jpg

Personally, I've gone back and forth on a lot of different mental game stuff on the course. It's always a struggle to find my sweet spot between how much to concentrate and how much to relax. Not that those things are opposites.

But, sometimes I'm very conscious of start line, and contact, and address position. Sometimes I feel like I just want to look at the target, visualize ball flight, and swing and let athleticism handle it.

When I get too heavy on consciousness, I'll end up fatting one, or thinking I hit a good 6 iron that came up 15 yards short. When I get too heavy on relaxed athleticism, I'll do something like start the ball on a completely wrong line, or hit a 15 foot putt 6 feet past the hole. But, those two mental "systems" have gotten closer to merging as time has gone by, much like my dispersion has gotten tighter.

I THINK I'm very good -- generally(*) -- of not allowing macro variables (how I'm playing, what happened on the last hole, the last shot, etc) to influence the shot that I'm over. And, I think I'm pretty good at accepting unfortunate outcomes from good shots. Any of you that I've played with could cherry pick counter examples to that, but relative to a lot of golfers, my mindset is very much "that's part of golf". I mean, I'm out by myself in the middle of winter playing mud balls from aerated rough.

(*) Sometimes I pass a "threshhold of misery" where I figure, "oh, an 83 here is just as bad as an 87, so I don't really care", but I'm talking about having a good round going and taking a double on an easy hole, or having a lost ball on a hole where I thought I should have found it. For example, playing well at Waverly a month back, tripling the 9th on an OB ball, then shooting -1 on the back.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

When I'm not burnt out, my mental game is the best part of my golf game. If I'm playing for something, whether it's a B team match, or some other tournament, or whatever, I've completely figured out how to move on and focus at the right time, while also being social.

If I'm playing with the fiance, or some people on this thread doing a $5 nassau, or drinking, forget it.