2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

The first two posts by RRFireblade in this thread are f*cking gold. Almost a perfect distillation of how I think about the game.

"it's ultimately a constant game of chasing after it instead of having it."

Almost exactly how I think about my rounds. Good round, good round, great round, good round...then an 84 out of nowhere. Then I steam about it for a while, grind away at the range for 3 straight days and try and start the cycle all over again.

When I went into GameGolf yesterday to look up my hole scoring averages I saw my 75 from last year at Reston during the DCGT tourney. Probably the best golf I've played in the last couple years and I have no idea where it came from or more importantly where it went.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

What's wrong with Par 5s that aren't reachable in two? I don't get it. That's why it's a Par 5.

Agreed. Par 5s reachable in two should be as rare as par 4s reachable in one.

I think reachable par 5s are something golfers have only come to expect in the modern equipment era. Growing up playing golf, I can remember hitting one par 5 in two, and can't think of many of my playing partners ever doing it. If a hole was much over 500 yards, most people didn't tee up their balata ball and hit their steel shafted driver that was the size of a modern 3 wood 260+ yards; and then knock their perfectly struck steel shafted 3 wood on the green. It just never happened. No one expected it to happen. Now we take our giant graphite shafted driver and hit a modern ball 260 regularly (except Sully), and 280 if you catch it well. Then you hit a 5 wood, hybrid (that didn't exist back in the day), or long iron to the green. That was never the intent of a par 5. And it's why many par 5s are handicapped as the most difficult holes - most average golfers can't hit three decent shots in a row to get a GIR. But for many people here, it just means you get to screw up your drive or second shot and still have a good chance of a GIR.

Kent, what were the par 5s like with the persimmon woods and feathery balls?

What you said is correct. But the feathery never flew well enough to get home in two.lol

RR: "What I monitor on every swing is ball flight and impact. These are the only two things that matter in the whole game of golf. I feel for the slightest change or miss on impact and anything in the ball flight that was not precisely as intended. I will tell you however, that very very few swings are dead nuts on either or both of those but that's part of the constant chase. The key is knowing how and when to chase. Sometimes I just take a mental note because I know I put the best possible swing I could on that one, maybe I know what I did but got lucky and pulled it off so no adjustment until I know I'm losing the connection, sometimes I start to see a trend and make an adjustment."

^^^^^^

That, to me, is playing golf. I don't know if he's talking specifically about the "micro chase" inside of rounds, or the "macro chase" which is more like DC is saying. Like a full-scale, back to the range for a couple hours chase.

So many times, I'll put my "square swing" on the ball on hole 1 and it comes off the heel and fades.

So, I'll put my "square swing" on the ball on hole 2 and it fades.

So, then on hole 3, I put my toe-draw swing on the ball and I catch it center face and it goes straight. That's a chase.

Or, I catch an iron a little fat or offline, and I go, "oh yeah, I forgot to go through PSR and use this key, or forgot to line it up" or whatever. But, the bigger lesson is not really how to fix things specifically, but rather how important it is to be mindful of the result, and what your connection is to the results.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

addedum : In no way, shape, or form, did I create a link to the amazon page for "ball". I C&P'ed RR's post there, and he doesn't have that link either.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Some interesting posts for sure. Great stuff for somebody that already owns their swing. I really struggle to get into that state of awareness and be able to know when and how to adjust inside of rounds. That is pure gold.

I think it's also the same kind of thing in a different context that gets people that don't own their swing in trouble. You don't get to be a better golfer by chasing one feel after another, without any kind of master plan. Gotta keep in mind the guy writing the posts is a +6.2. That puts him in what, the top 0.1% of golfers on the planet. He's deeper into the fine tuning level of improvement than any of us will ever reach.

RR: "What I monitor on every swing is ball flight and impact. These are the only two things that matter in the whole game of golf. I feel for the slightest change or miss on impact and anything in the ball flight that was not precisely as intended. I will tell you however, that very very few swings are dead nuts on either or both of those but that's part of the constant chase. The key is knowing how and when to chase. Sometimes I just take a mental note because I know I put the best possible swing I could on that one, maybe I know what I did but got lucky and pulled it off so no adjustment until I know I'm losing the connection, sometimes I start to see a trend and make an adjustment."

^^^^^^

That, to me, is playing golf. I don't know if he's talking specifically about the "micro chase" inside of rounds, or the "macro chase" which is more like DC is saying. Like a full-scale, back to the range for a couple hours chase.

So many times, I'll put my "square swing" on the ball on hole 1 and it comes off the heel and fades.

So, I'll put my "square swing" on the ball on hole 2 and it fades.

So, then on hole 3, I put my toe-draw swing on the ball and I catch it center face and it goes straight. That's a chase.

Or, I catch an iron a little fat or offline, and I go, "oh yeah, I forgot to go through PSR and use this key, or forgot to line it up" or whatever. But, the bigger lesson is not really how to fix things specifically, but rather how important it is to be mindful of the result, and what your connection is to the results.

Maybe I'm wired differently, and this is a great post by you and RRF, but when I do this on the course- I always shoot the high numbers, because I'm so focused on what caused the ball flight that I just had, that I start thinking about swing thoughts and there goes the round.

My best rounds have come in competition (member guest rounds, MGA tournaments) when I'm not thinking about score or swing thoughts: I'm thinking how I can beat my competitors on that hole.

What I remember most about my best rounds : that I wasn't thinking. I was thinking more alignment-like: I want to put the ball THERE. I want to put the ball on that green THERE. I want to drive the ball over this bunker THERE.

I have broken 80 exactly once in my life. It was with Nerf and I was playing a MG event against a member who had knocked us out of winning the flight the year before. I shot 36 in that match- I won every point but the last hole. I can't remember one swing thought I had, I was just so focused on winning the match. At one point Nerf says "Did you see that bird in the crook of that tree?" And I can specifically remember snapping at him "F$ck the bird. We're playing golf here." I shot 43 in the next nine cause I was so excited how well I played the front nine I lost focus.

The less thoughts I have, the better I play. If I, after every shot, think, "Well, I caught that a little fat, guess I should really shift my weight more next swing." I can guarantee I won't play well. Its the rounds where I am focused on the target when I play my best.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

I might look into the CB's or go back to AP2's. Never found Mizuno irons to my liking.

You are playing the Steelhead XRs right now, right? They can do everything the AP2s and CBs can do only easier and with more fun.

I guarantee the Steelheads are a lot friendlier to come back to after a 3 week break than the Other two would be!

Callaway GBB Epic Flash 9*
Callaway GBB Epic Flash 15* 
Callaway Epic 2H Recoil Black 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue Pro Black 4-AW Recoil 110 F4
Callaway JAWS Full Face 54* Recoil 110 F4
Callaway PM Grind Black 60* KBS Tour V Stiff
MACHINE Damascus M4
BestGrips MicroPerf grips 

Some interesting posts for sure. Great stuff for somebody that already owns their swing. I really struggle to get into that state of awareness and be able to know when and how to adjust inside of rounds. That is pure gold.

I think it's also the same kind of thing in a different context that gets people that don't own their swing in trouble. You don't get to be a better golfer by chasing one feel after another, without any kind of master plan. Gotta keep in mind the guy writing the posts is a +6.2. That puts him in what, the top 0.1% of golfers on the planet. He's deeper into the fine tuning level of improvement than any of us will ever reach.

Well, I guess I know what I've been doing wrong

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

What's wrong with Par 5s that aren't reachable in two? I don't get it. That's why it's a Par 5.

Agreed. Par 5s reachable in two should be as rare as par 4s reachable in one.

I think reachable par 5s are something golfers have only come to expect in the modern equipment era. Growing up playing golf, I can remember hitting one par 5 in two, and can't think of many of my playing partners ever doing it. If a hole was much over 500 yards, most people didn't tee up their balata ball and hit their steel shafted driver that was the size of a modern 3 wood 260+ yards; and then knock their perfectly struck steel shafted 3 wood on the green. It just never happened. No one expected it to happen. Now we take our giant graphite shafted driver and hit a modern ball 260 regularly (except Sully), and 280 if you catch it well. Then you hit a 5 wood, hybrid (that didn't exist back in the day), or long iron to the green. That was never the intent of a par 5. And it's why many par 5s are handicapped as the most difficult holes - most average golfers can't hit three decent shots in a row to get a GIR. But for many people here, it just means you get to screw up your drive or second shot and still have a good chance of a GIR.

Kent, what were the par 5s like with the persimmon woods and feathery balls?

How about that time you hit a nice low iron into the green that rolled up perfectly for eagle? #17 oak creek

How about a perfectly hit 3i from 255 at Northwest to 10ft for an eagle putt? Didn't say the putt went in.

I might look into the CB's or go back to AP2's. Never found Mizuno irons to my liking.

Three words: Buttery F'n Blades

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Anyone wanna go in on this? I'd be good for 1 or 2 dozen but no more than that. I have about 5 dozen balls right now. Let me know.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1542626-10-dozen-srixon-z-star-tour-yellow-golf-balls-225-shipped/

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

You are playing the Steelhead XRs right now, right? They can do everything the AP2s and CBs can do only easier and with more fun.

I guarantee the Steelheads are a lot friendlier to come back to after a 3 week break than the Other two would be!

Easiest to hit irons I have ever used. Not real sexy, and a little chunky (man that sounds familiar!), but they work. Easy/peasy

Anyone wanna go in on this? I'd be good for 1 or 2 dozen but no more than that. I have about 5 dozen balls right now. Let me know.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1542626-10-dozen-srixon-z-star-tour-yellow-golf-balls-225-shipped/

Pretty good deal. These look like ge newest version. I just stocked up on a ton of the previous version. Fell in love with this ball after the RBG ammo box deal earlier in the year

MACHINE Damascus M4

I want a set of those new Mizuno MP 18s. Damn they're hawt.

"In terms of materials, Mizuno went back to its roots with the MP-18. The irons are forged from 1025E Pure Select Mild Carbon, a switch from the 1025 Boron the company was using in some of its MP irons in recent years. Boron was used because it is stronger than Mizuno’s 1025E carbon steel, allowing engineers to thin out structures within the irons for added distance and forgiveness. “That’s just not MP,” as one Mizuno representative put it."

They used to be forged carbon, then boron because it was strong, now they're going back because "we need people to buy something different from what they own even if it's the same as what they owned 2 cycles ago" "that's just not MP".

They're just making sh1t up at this point.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Negative, AP1's are in the bag now. Easier to hit than the Steelhead XR's to me.

Hoop: Don't you know it...

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

How about that time you hit a nice low iron into the green that rolled up perfectly for eagle? #17 oak creek

How about a perfectly hit 3i from 255 at Northwest to 10ft for an eagle putt? Didn't say the putt went in.

shot so good we made an infographic of the reactions.

255-3i-to-8ft.png

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

http://www.golfwrx.c...ls-225-shipped/

Pretty good deal. These look like ge newest version. I just stocked up on a ton of the previous version. Fell in love with this ball after the RBG ammo box deal earlier in the year

Good, 'cause I ain't playing those crappy Top Flights if we get teamed up in the 7s again.

giphy.gif

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

city, if you want some yellow zstars, i got some. less than $22.50/duzz fo sho.

same ball that you played in the gloaming at little bennett at the end of the solstice.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Plus each dozen purchased comes with one free can of golferAIDS, a DCGT coupon, and a voucher for a free round on a golfboard at any course in the DMV region.

Three words: Buttery F'n Blades

Any thoughts on the MP18 SC? Think i've gotta go for some forgiveness...

Actually playing the 900 Forged right now- love them. Can't comment on the MP-18 SC besides the fact that they look great on YouTube.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

If you don't mind #5,6,7,8 Hurricane Golf on eBay has the previous version in yellow for $20/doz and you won't get GolferAIDs from them.

MACHINE Damascus M4

same ball that you played in the gloaming at little bennett at the end of the solstice.

I'm OK for now. If anyone was interested, I'd go in with them, but if not, no biggie.

Trade you a $20 for a DUZZIE at BM next week.

I actually need to take stock of my balls. I've got like a derzen in the hatch, some balls in my locker, unopened balls in my bag, some balls in the living room, some balls in the basement, and some balls in the "staging area" which is in between the basement and the living room and is composed of either stuff I intended to bring up from the basement, but didn't want to leave in the living room, or stuff that was in the living room that I put in the staging area with the intent of bringing to the basement.

Oh, and balls in the shoe closet up stairs.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you don't mind #5,6,7,8 Hurricane Golf on eBay has the previous version in yellow for $20/doz and you won't get GolferAIDs from them.

when you look at your recent scorecards, those numbers should look familiar to you.

very familiar.

and i'm not selling for $20. i'm selling at cost. which was $15. shipped.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Good, 'cause I ain't playing those crappy Top Flights if we get teamed up in the 7s again.

giphy.gif

I think those Top Flites captured the spirit of the event and the course better than any premium ball ever could

G'Pow is a Top Flite hitting-CareBear Onesie Wearing-Microwave Cheeseburger with Homemade Chili eating-old school type of course that will change a pin location specifically for several groups of golfers because some guy asked them to.

MACHINE Damascus M4

when you look at your recent scorecards, those numbers should look familiar to you.

very familiar.

Now that was well played my friend. Very well played.

MACHINE Damascus M4

I'm OK for now. If anyone was interested, I'd go in with them, but if not, no biggie.

Trade you a $20 for a DUZZIE at BM next week.

I actually need to take stock of my balls. I've got like a derzen in the hatch, some balls in my locker, unopened balls in my bag, some balls in the living room, some balls in the basement, and some balls in the "staging area" which is in between the basement and the living room and is composed of either stuff I intended to bring up from the basement, but didn't want to leave in the living room, or stuff that was in the living room that I put in the staging area with the intent of bringing to the basement.

Oh, and balls in the shoe closet up stairs.

giphy.gif

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee