MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

For the record, I had full confidence JJ was gonna blast over the hill on 9. He got into the speed slot, and was a good 70 yards past me and domes... and we hit good drives. Big boy blast. The second shot was pretty great as well. Must have landed 10-15ft from the stick, but didn't have a chance of holding those rock hard greens. Left a nearly impossible chip from behind the green to a middle-right pin. JJ has a great swing. Really efficient. He hits it solid, and far, without swinging the club back any further than absolutely necessary.

Couple more tidbits.

Dat wind doe. Holy sh1t. Honestly the most difficult wind I've ever played in. It "died down" to maybe 15mph on rare occasions, and that's about as calm as it got. When it was blowing harder, the ball was literally wobbling around on the tee when you were getting ready to hit. My ball almost blew off the tee at least twice. Wind like that really exposes bad shots and directional mishits.

Domes and I got totally F'ed on back to back holes in fairway bunkers. He was in a sasquatch print in the fairway bunker on 13. I got into what I can only describe as "line in the sand" in the fairway trap on 15. Like somebody took their club and drew a letter C in the sand, then just left it there. The ball was about 3/4 below the level of the surface. I tomahawk chopped a 9 iron from 100 yards that landed on the front middle of the green and ran through. The absolute best shot I could possibly hit.

I couldn't get club on the ball from a garbage "winter lie" on 4 (ball in a dead spot with a tall, healthy clump of grass directly behind it) about 6 inches off the fairway. Advanced it maybe 40 yards, and proceeded to pure a "knockdown" 8 iron that went a grand total of 100 yards. I've never in all my golfing life seen a ball climb into the wind like that shot did. It was absolutely incredible.

Can't overstate how good I feel about the direction my ballstriking is moving after that lesson. I really need to commit to practicing the motion, because it's showing great promise already. With a wedge or short iron, everything is dead on line. I even feel better about knocking down shots with those clubs already, since hitting those shots is the primary thing I was given to work on. I think the worst shot I hit with a wedge was one I left about 15 feet right, perfect distance, just off the right of the green on 16. Couple others went a little long of my intended target, but were just on a rope at the stick. Lots of good longer iron shots as well.

I'm buying a ~20 degree hybrid and putting a recoil in it. The DI might need to be relegated to specialty duty. I don't know what it is, but I've just lost all mojo with that club. It's great for hitting off the tee when I need a bullet, but I've been hitting it like an absolute turd for a while now. Chunked it both times it came out of the bag yesterday. Plus, we were having this conversation yesterday about how you really need a ~210-215 club that can hold greens once you start tipping it out more places. It's just a distance that comes up on par 3s all the time. My 4 iron doesn't go that far, and the DI goes too far, and low.

Domes is looking good to hit those goals this year. Ballstriking was pretty damn consistent yesterday. The t** driver shaft is working well for him. He was smacking it out there further than I feel like I've seen previously, and with a lovely traj. I predict he'll be back in the mid singles at some point this year.

City needs a shot of mojo. He's just a little down on himself right now, but I know his game is right on the edge of clicking. I jokingly suggested replacing his morning kettlebell swings with some d1ck swings to get the mojo flowing, but seriously suggested a little tune-up lesson. I really think having a good set of eyes reinforce that he's got a lot of great stuff going on and maybe just tweak a little here will set him right back into plummeting handicap mode. He's still hitting tons of great shots. City, TW, and I are all "close" right now :).

Funniest of many funny moments on the deck after. Domes, JJ, and I all got hot dogs (I wasn't kidding when I said sales were going to skyrocket with thread hero davechen's endorsement) after the round. We're sizing each others dogs up, and somebody (maybe Domes) says to city, "you didn't get a hot dog?" to which is response was "nah, <wife's name> picked up some bread and ham so I'm waiting until I get home to eat." Hilarity ensued, with many jokes about him holding out for such an amazing sounding meal, and with city trying to explain how this was fancy, artisanal bread and ham.

This is the shot that resulted in the throw and stomp, which was not quite caught on camera. It was just a gorgeous view, with the sun setting. Also cool standing on that green, looking at how much higher points on the course like 5 green were.

cItqUL9.jpg

It was a fun day, but I'm infuriated with my game right now, and I just want to get a round in where I can see my ball flight and get some scoring done.

It was just really tough. Hole 2, wind is in and from the right. I start a ball towards the right rough, and by the time it comes down, it's going dead-left into the fairway bunker. I'm trying to play a 7 iron with a ball a foot below my feet and dump it in the lip.

Hole 8, Abb hits a nice shot, but Domes and JJ come up 30 yards short, so I take one extra, and just rip it through the green so I'm on a vertical side-hill in cabbage.

Hit a beautiful drive on 14 and trying to fade a wedge in, and just float it out to the right, wind catches it and I miss a green from 110 middle of fairway. Hit a nice chip and then pretty sure that the putt got moved by the wind and I miss a quarter-inch left.

It was just crap like that all day. Never felt like you could get going.

I had a nice birdie on 15, which put us 1 up on the back, and dormie on the 18 and then on 16, I hit an all right drive, topped a 3 iron, hooked a 5 iron, chunked a wedge, and than hit a wedge to a foot for a gimme double. JJ hit a beauty in from about 200 on that hole.

17 was playing about 220 and domes hit a hybrid that we saw hit the green near the pin. We weren't sure it stayed on but it did. It was shot of the day. None of the rest of us even got close to the green. Then he missed a 2 footer for par while JJ ran in about a 8 footer with a ton of break. Very nice putt there.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Round recap, this time with no annoying hashtags! #fuhashtags

Went out to Rapidan Golf Club (at Somerset Plantation) yesterday. This was my second time ever on this course. When I first moved to this area, this course was closed...and remained closed until a couple of years ago. It's a weird course - the front 9 (which was the back 9 when it first opened) is more like a links course while the back 9 (which was the front 9 originally) is a typical housing development course. They don't have a range but do have a putting green. In all reality, it's a dog track. But it's cheap and not as crowded as Meadows Farm so I am trying to add it to my rotation.

I get there and there isn't a lot of cars in the parking lot so I'm thinking I may get around quickly. This would prove to not be the case.

1 - Tee off and pull it slightly into the left rough. I then proceed to pull hook my 54* into the forest. Hello double!

2 - A short par 3 which I proceeded to butcher by missing the green and then chunking two chips.

3 - 551 yd par 5. Pulled drive slightly left but still good. Proceed to hit a high hook with my 7 iron and miss the green left. Chip on, 3-putt. If you have a 7 iron in your hand for your second shot on a par 5 (and you are going for the green), you should NEVER bogey the hole!

4 - short par 4 that I misplayed due to not knowing the course. Had to take a drop but stuck it close and 1-putted. Bogey.

5 - par 4 where I left my wedge approach short. Bogey.

6 - roll up and see 252 yds on the sign so I assume it's a short par 4. I mean there is a fairway before the green. Hit 7 iron to middle of fairway. On the drive to my ball, realize the hole is a par 3. F me! Got rattled and messed up the approach. Double.

7 - par 4 where I hit my drive into a group of old men. Had no idea they were there. Turns out I would be waiting on them the rest of the round on every shot. Enter poor mental game and my inability to hold it together while waiting. Anyway, rolled up, apologized, stuck my approach to about 6', made bird.

8 - shorter par 5 with two different creeks splitting the fairway. Found both creeks. Triple.

9 - dogleg par 4 that plays up hill. Decide to hit 3w off tee. Huge mistake. Chop out of woods, fat my iron, miss approach, triple.

10 - downhill (and downwind) 492 yd par 5. Drive to left half of fairway, 7 iron on fringe, use putter but leave it short, 3-putt. Bogey. Again, you should NEVER make bogey when you have 7 iron in your hand on your second shot on a par 5!

11 - par 4, middle of fairway, too long on approach, chip on, 2-putt for bogey.

12 - first bad drive of the day...pulled it left and got an unlucky bounce into the wood. Proceed to butcher the hole. Double.

13 - the old guys behind me finally caught up. I asked them to join me. I hit a high hook into the woods. One guys says "whoa, heck of a slice you got there". I had no response. Totally butchered hole. Triple.

14 - killed drive. Turns out I should have hit hybrid or fairway. Punched out of trees, short game fails me again. Leave with double.

15 - par 3 that should have been easy but I made it hard. Double.

16 - 402 yd par 4 that was playing into the wind, which was pretty fierce by this time. Killed the drive but went nowhere. 5 iron on the green and 2-putt for par.

17 - short par 3 that I stuck to 8'. 2-putt for par.

18 - 484 yd par 5. That's to hard fairways and being downwind, drive ended up just to the left of 150 yd marker. Proceed to pull hook my approach and miss 30 yds left. Flop shot over the bunkers to get on in regulation, proceed to 3-putt. Bogey. If you should NEVER make bogey when having a 7 iron in your hand on a par 5 approach, then you should NEVER EVER make bogey when having a 9 iron in your hand on a par 5 approach.

So yeah, absolutely horrible round (51/48=99) with way too many penalties (7). I lost a lot of balls. It was nice to get out and play though. I really need to get irons figured out. I have no idea where they are going. This iron change is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

SO. MANY. RECAPS. YES!!!!

luv it. very jealous of the guys who got to play yesterday. thanks for letting me live vicariously through you all this am.

t** vs DT match today at Glenndale

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

T.I.T wins by default when DT cancels at the last minute.

It's okay buddy...it's okay.

We both agreed to play the Glenndale tourney, if he can get off.

protos F4

Two beef sticks are coming out? Sweet. I'll bring the cheese and dessert.

Dessert is a brownie btw.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Two beef sticks are coming out? Sweet. I'll bring the cheese and dessert.

Dessert is a brownie btw.

<Shudders>

If he can't, I'll sign up for the single portion of it.

protos F4

It's the little things in life really:

One of the things about the range for me is that I can, on occasion, get into the "zone". Kinda like basketball, you just know you're going to make a good swing and have good result. Anyway, after a few, I got into the "zone"- really feeling like the ball was going to go just where I aimed, felt like my hips were really getting through the ball, and had a great tempo. Was really concentrating on my tempo and stance, but the results were fantastic!

Anyway, a lefty sets up a few stalls down from me, to my right, so I could see his swing. Around 20-21 yrs old, peacocked out, total golf bro. One of us, one of us. After he stretches out, he grabs driver, cranks one out there. I follow his shot, and its decent. Then I notice he's looking at me, smug look on his face. Definite "Beat that!" look.

OH NO YOU DIDN'T.

His drive was decent, and I' m not the longest guy in the world, but it was on. Put away the 7 iron I was practicing with and grab the big dog. Take a practice swing, saying to myself just keep doing what you're doing, don't try to rush it or kill it.

Pure it. Just a little baby draw to it. If I had to guess, 250 out- but it was probably 10 yards past his. Look back at him with the raised eyebrows. Put driver away and went back to 7 iron.

He spent the entire rest of hit time hitting his small bucket of balls with his driver. He never hit one as good as his first, the rest became hooks because he was swinging so hard. He left fuming.

Flawless victory to his silent challenge!

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

More importantly, what did JJ hit off the tee on 1,2,7,10,11 12 and 14?

From the tips, with insane wind - driver, driver, driver, driver, driver, driver, driver. As did the rest of us.

I bet. How much do you think was the wind vs the tips? Tips vs blues is another 500 yards, plus you probably can't cut the corner on some of those dog legs, right? I can't picture myself playing the tips there any time soon (ever), so this is mostly morbid curiosity.

More importantly, what did JJ hit off the tee on 1,2,7,10,11 12 and 14?

From the tips, with insane wind - driver, driver, driver, driver, driver, driver, driver. As did the rest of us.

I bet. How much do you think was the wind vs the tips? Tips vs blues is another 500 yards, plus you probably can't cut the corner on some of those dog legs, right? I can't picture myself playing the tips there any time soon (ever), so this is mostly morbid curiosity.

Probably more tips than wind, but it was both. I missed a fair number of fairways because I took lines that just weren't good from the tips. I mean, it's easily 30-50 yards on a bunch of holes. I bunkered myself on 1 and 2 after hitting what I thought were good drives, but clearly on lines I couldn't take from the tips with some hurt wind. I probably couldn't take them without the wind. The extra yardage on those holes makes those bunkers too far to carry for me.

One thing I don't like about the tips is that it takes some of the fun out of the short 4s like 7, 11, and 14. You go from being able to get one around the green with a good shot and favorable wind do having absolutely zero chance of doing that by stepping from the blues back to the tips. I really like to have at least 1 short 4 in a round.

The nice thing is that the 5s don't necessarily become unreachable monsters by moving back. You'd have to be a big boy to reach 9 or 12, but 5 and 18 are still reachable with a couple decent pokes.

I'm buying a ~20 degree hybrid and putting a recoil in it.

FAbb - what you thinking here? Enjoying hearing the thought process when around this area of the bag. I must have 8 clubs at home that I've attempted to put into this spot. Currently rocking that 7 wood for life.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

So glad I took off today. The Maryland game hurt, but I felt much better after staying up 45 minutes later to watch Grayson Allen pout after Duke lost. As soon as this small weather cell moves through I'm getting out for 18.

It'd be nice to have better shooting efficiency than the bar that Terps set last night.

FAbb - what you thinking here? Enjoying hearing the thought process when around this area of the bag. I must have 8 clubs at home that I've attempted to put int his spot. Currently rocking that 7 wood for life.

Cobra has a new Baffler coming out?

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

FAbb - what you thinking here? Enjoying hearing the thought process when around this area of the bag. I must have 8 clubs at home that I've attempted to put int his spot. Currently rocking that 7 wood for life.

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven Wood

SEVEN WOOD

Make it happen FAbb.

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven Wood

SEVEN WOOD

Make it happen FAbb.

If there is anyone FAbb should be basing his club setup on, its definitely the two of us.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven wood

Seven Wood

SEVEN WOOD

Make it happen FAbb.

19* g30 hybrid at BR for 58 bucks..........................

Titleist TSR2 8*

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Vokey 54*

Vokey 60*

MySpider Tour X 

Like you, this slot has been a bit of a carousel for me. I thought the DI was the answer, but time in the bag is disproving that theory, especially since I've really settled in to having the XR 4 wood.

As I mentioned briefly in my post, I'm just finding the DI doesn't cut it when playing courses from further back. I need to be able to pop one out there 210-220 that can hold a green. Too many times I've needed that distance on a par 3, and just didn't feel comfortable with anything. That's too short for the 4 wood, but too long for my 4 iron. The DI just flies too low. It probably flies 210-220 on a full swing, and on a laser traj. Trying to knock it down rarely turns out well, and just makes it come in even hotter.

Top contender right now is a Callaway 815 20 degree. Cut it to 39.5" and probably crank it to 21 or 22 degrees. I'd like to throw a recoil 95 F4 in it as well.

Jason Day is a drama queen.

Fabb. I had the 712u 2 iron, vr blade 2 iron and 19 hybrid. Settled on a 19 5 wood cut down an inch. I know you have the 4 wood though, so a hybrid probably makes more sense.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Has anyone else noticed that the "Euro Tour" feed on twitter is showing "this video not available in your country".

Can someone fix the god d@mned world please? WTF is going on?

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I snuck out this morning for a quick 9 on the back side of Falls Road before work. I was going along pretty well, but fell apart on the end for a 10 over 45.

http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/85-33060929-33061027

#10 good drive, but it rolled to the right rough (hard to hold that fairway); great 7 iron from the rough to the back of the green, 2 putt for par

#11 good 8 iron to the middle of the green (flag back), 2 putt par

#12 great drive (244 yards), 5 iron that faded just off, chip, to 8 feet, 2 putt bogie

#13 good drive, hybrid that went left into the junk, 2 chips, 3 putts. yuck, triple.

#14 duff 4 hybrid into the right trap. great sand to ~7 feet. 2 putt bogie

#15 pull drive left, epic punched 5 iron under the trees to just short, chip, putt for par.

#16 meh drive, good 3H, good PW to pin high, 20 foot 3 putt bogie.

#17 bad drive right into hazard, drop, iron, chip, 2 putt for double

#18 bad drive right, punch 7 iron to advance the ball, duff, chip, 2 putt double.