2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Just to clear something up, because I've gotten a few questioning texts.

No, this guy was not whipping himself on purpose a la Opus Dei and the Dan Brown book. Did not seem religious or penance oriented at all.

This was like a dance, or martial arts, with a whip. He had at least four separate routines he was going through. I would assume that at some point he'd put them all together into one continuous performance.

I saw him catch a piece of whip in his face. He paused, lightly touched his cheek to see if it was bleeding, then immediately restart. Awesome.

I have no video or pictures, other than the images burned into my brain.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I want a whip. Always wanted a whip.

I had an axe when I was a kid.

Someday I'll have to regale ya'll about the time I hit a woodchuck with it. #Maine.

The same one you rolled a big rock on?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Had a lengthy break today after only having to do a portion of what I was scheduled to do and then heading back for a pick up route. Went to the Dick's Sporting Goods on the other side of Hagerstown. Immediately decided to go into the golf shop area. Saw that they have Titleist irons. They had the 714 CBs and MBs in 3-PW. For shiggles I asked if I could try the 7 iron on the MBs. The guy tapes it up with impact tape and lets me into the 'driving range'. First shot was a bit towards the toe. 7 out of the next 8 were at the middle. They felt really good. Removed the tape and replaced the club on the rack before moving to the XR16 fairway woods and bought myself a XR16 5 wood.

Damn those irons felt great, but I really don't want to have the poser bag. Might need to make the trip to golfsmith in a few weeks (get a few paychecks saved up) and do one more 'matchup' between my AP2s and the current offerings.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

I want a whip. Always wanted a whip.

I had an axe when I was a kid.

Someday I'll have to regale ya'll about the time I hit a woodchuck with it. #Maine.

Don't. Not to me, please.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

Just set up tomorrow's live leaderboard for me n Stix in the individual comp. Available to view via The Grint app. Not using the other one from last year which was garbage.

Leaderboard name-

POSH: This Time It's Personal

Password-

TheHive

Last year we both put up high 90s in the wind and sub-freezing temps in the WAGT tournament. Hoping to do better than that this go around.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

haha trying to play over Easter weekend was never in the cards, I am lucky to get the range time tomorrow morning

I am trying a wide range right now:

Odyssey Tank Cruiser V-Line @ 38" stock Super stroke

Ray Cook Blue Goose BG30 @ 35" stock midsize pistol grip

Ping Ally 3 (Face balanced) @ 34.5" SS Flatso 2.0

Scotty Newport Buttonback @ 34.5" built up baby T grip

I got a 38" super cruiser seventeen words in the name of it two ball putter earlier this year. I love it. I don't choke down on it like it is designed to be though. Instead I hold it at the end so I can stand up straighter and take stress off my back. Cabrera putted that way win he won the masters

Had a lengthy break today after only having to do a portion of what I was scheduled to do and then heading back for a pick up route. Went to the Dick's Sporting Goods on the other side of Hagerstown. Immediately decided to go into the golf shop area. Saw that they have Titleist irons. They had the 714 CBs and MBs in 3-PW. For shiggles I asked if I could try the 7 iron on the MBs. The guy tapes it up with impact tape and lets me into the 'driving range'. First shot was a bit towards the toe. 7 out of the next 8 were at the middle. They felt really good. Removed the tape and replaced the club on the rack before moving to the XR16 fairway woods and bought myself a XR16 5 wood.

Damn those irons felt great, but I really don't want to have the poser bag. Might need to make the trip to golfsmith in a few weeks (get a few paychecks saved up) and do one more 'matchup' between my AP2s and the current offerings.

Do my soul a favor and do not buy Titleist MBs.

I beg this of you.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Been up since 5:30. Dunno if this same thing happens to you guys before a tourney round. I am UP. Wide awake. Really could use another couple hours sleep, but there's no chance. Too excited. It's a good feeling -check that- it's a GREAT feeling to have this level of anticipation.

I don't know what the day will bring. Won't affect this moment either way tho.

Today's DCGT/WAGT Tourney script.

Official 2016 Capitol Cup Trucker

Alial Fital Polo

Big Swoosh Nike Belt

Oakley Take Pants

Adidas socks (not pictured)

Asics Gel-Ace Pros

image.jpg

Am I self-aware enough to know that this is completely ludicrous to be like this? Yes and no. If I ever stop getting UP for tourneys, even at this small, lower level, then I'll have lost something.

Also, I know the shoes clash, but they're the cleanest ones I had and not everything in life has to be matchy-matchy.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I have been up the last half hour debating if it will warm up enough for shorts or not as this will make a difference in the shoe selection.

You're not the only one.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Played Potomac Shores yesterday.

Good news: the bunkers didn’t have moguls in them so no rules discussion needed. Chipped better but not spectacular. I’ll take it after last weekend’s disaster. Had a couple of solid drives, including one that went 270. Unfortunately, the slope of the fairway kept it from running in closer. 2h was mostly solid. Cranked one 245 downhill and a couple of others around 220+ (not downhill). Only had one let down with it when I hit short on 18. I made up for that by blasting a 200 yd 4h over the practice green attached to the 18th.

Bad news: I hit in a few bunkers and lost about eight strokes since while they looked nice, I couldn’t use the sand to lift the ball over the bunkers…a little too compact and tall (I even played backwards out of one since I didn’t think I’d get out going forward). Lost another three strokes when I overshot the Par 3 15th and put the ball into the woods.

Greens were fast (and a little beat up in places) which caused a couple to run even though they were barely touched. Resulted in five three jacks. Then, I played too defensive on some holes others and dropped a couple of strokes there. I didn't use green-saving ball mark tool given to me at BR. Hope I didn’t contribute to brown spots.

I thought the course was nice but no holes that wowed me or pissed me off. I can’t imagine what the surrounding area will look like when they finish building the ton of homes currently laid out. Lots of roll out on the fairway. We gained yards of many of them, which was great, but this also caused problems with balls running through—once when my ball ran so long that it went through a bunker, the rough and proceeded to roll onto the cart path and then backwards off the other side behind a tree. Cost me two strokes. When I’m hitting the 2h 220+ on multiple shots, you know something’s up. Knowing the course a little better (and being below the hole on some greens) definitely would’ve saved me as my score wasn’t a true indicator of how I played.

Not a fan of the practice green behind right behind the flagstick on 18—it’s inviting trouble. Carts were allowed on fairways today (except on 18), so that worked out. Also not a fan of no turn through the clubhouse. I wanted to get a hot dog but they made up for it by having Sierra Nevada in the beer cart. Rain let loose around the 10th hole for a couple of holes but it wasn’t too terrible.

Was nice riding out in the first group, although a bit odd at 9:30. Played with two brothers. It was fun playing with them but their gimmes were a little longer than normal (like 4-5 ft. Round was a little slow (4:30) because there was a lot of measuring going on (not by me and, unfortunately, not by the fourth who joined us on the 10th), usually with marginal effect. Still, though, a good day away from work. Unfortunately Saturday’s here and it’s time for the Honey-do list.

Btw, they do have an app which has a lot of features, including a rangefinder. Didn't check it out too often but did verify what my watch was giving me.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

Been up since 5:30. Dunno if this same thing happens to you guys before a tourney round. I am UP. Wide awake. Really could use another couple hours sleep, but there's no chance. Too excited. It's a good feeling -check that- it's a GREAT feeling to have this level of anticipation.

I don't know what the day will bring. Won't affect this moment either way tho.

Today's DCGT/WAGT Tourney script.

Official 2016 Capitol Cup Trucker

Alial Fital Polo

Big Swoosh Nike Belt

Oakley Take Pants

Adidas socks (not pictured)

Asics Gel-Ace Pros

image.jpg

Am I self-aware enough to know that this is completely ludicrous to be like this? Yes and no. If I ever stop getting UP for tourneys, even at this small, lower level, then I'll have lost something.

Also, I know the shoes clash, but they're the cleanest ones I had and not everything in life has to be matchy-matchy.

I'm up everyday before this time so I'm not too excited either way but I always feel good knowing that I'm going out to play and have some fun rather than work in the office, yard and house.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

back to goals for the year. my opinion is that goals without a plan are meaningless. so instead of goals I've laid out a plan. instead of solely focusing on a weakness I'm focusing on everything, with an emphasis that ALL my practice is some type of competition with myself.

1) i've started every practice session by having 10 consecutive two putts (making a long putt gives me one immunity three putt)

2) i'm practicing my short game by chipping AND putting vs. just hitting chips mindlessly (3 balls * 7 shots or less, must do that 8 times. a 6 shoter counts as two)

3) i'm practicing my short irons by starting at a yardage (call it 80 yards) and hitting x number of shots consecutively onto the green, and moving back in 10-15 yard increments.

I'm alternating between 1+2 and 1+3. even if i chip well one day if that's next on the practice regime it's what i'm practicing. i haven't figured out how i'm applying the same "make my practice real and pressure filled" concept to my tee shot practice.

I'm exceptionally frustrated by my start to the year. i need to just chill out and enjoy myself. i'm frustrated. last two rounds from the tips i've had 40 on a very difficult front nine which should set me for something in the 70s because the back is definitely easier. i've just sort of melted down. the crazy wind every time i play isn't helping my mindset. i should just accept that my scores aren't going to be my best in really difficult conditions but instead i'm getting frustrated by the bogies adding up.

back to goals for the year. my opinion is that goals without a plan are meaningless. so instead of goals I've laid out a plan. instead of solely focusing on a weakness I'm focusing on everything, with an emphasis that ALL my practice is some type of competition with myself.

1) i've started every practice session by having 10 consecutive two putts (making a long putt gives me one immunity three putt)

2) i'm practicing my short game by chipping AND putting vs. just hitting chips mindlessly (3 balls * 7 shots or less, must do that 8 times. a 6 shoter counts as two)

3) i'm practicing my short irons by starting at a yardage (call it 80 yards) and hitting x number of shots consecutively onto the green, and moving back in 10-15 yard increments.

I'm alternating between 1+2 and 1+3. even if i chip well one day if that's next on the practice regime it's what i'm practicing. i haven't figured out how i'm applying the same "make my practice real and pressure filled" concept to my tee shot practice.

I'm exceptionally frustrated by my start to the year. i need to just chill out and enjoy myself. i'm frustrated. last two rounds from the tips i've had 40 on a very difficult front nine which should set me for something in the 70s because the back is definitely easier. i've just sort of melted down. the crazy wind every time i play isn't helping my mindset. i should just accept that my scores aren't going to be my best in really difficult conditions but instead i'm getting frustrated by the bogies adding up.

Sounds like you have a good plan. When you do your chipping practice, maybe hit a handful at once and make a note of where your misses are with chips.You may find that you hit certain shots around the green better with a different wedge!

My big thing personally is to dedicate more time this year to bunker practice. I almost neglected it completely last year and had some major sand jitters. Lost a couple strokes per round just from bad bunker play.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I've been looking at short game stuff to do too. I've been so focused on just being able to hit the stupid ball that I ignored some short game work.

I've hit the ball pretty well the last 5 rounds, and here's what Game Golf says I'm losing vs a Scratch player (based on Strokes Gained):

Off the tee: 3.0

Approach: 2.2

Short Game: 5.6

Putting: 3.6

And putting includes a big fat 42 putts at Bulle Rock, so that category is a bit inflated. Basically, Game Golf says I could drop 2-3 shots if I just got my short game to the level of my other stats, never mind making it a strength. I didn't think my short game was that bad, but I know it wasn't good. It's basically what Game Golf says a 25 handicap is doing in their short game. Still a tiny bit skeptical on that number since Game Golf doesn't know where the pin is, but I mostly believe it.

I'll normally hit chips and putts for 30 minutes when I go to the range, but I never have a plan. Need to get something going like 2moreTerps.

Not thoroughly at all. I typically only move the pin if it's very wrong. Maybe I just need to keep better track of that as I play so I can move it post-round. Haven't taken the effort to do so yet because I've kind of thought that the GPS isn't accurate enough for it to really matter. GPS accuracy is more like 10 feet ,so I've wavered between keeping better track and just ignoring the short stuff entirely.

I do know that I'm not stuffing anything close on my short game. Very few inside 3 feet. A lot of the up and downs I'm making recently are from 5-6 foot putts.

Not thoroughly at all. I typically only move the pin if it's very wrong. Maybe I just need to keep better track of that as I play so I can move it post-round. Haven't taken the effort to do so yet because I've kind of thought that the GPS isn't accurate enough for it to really matter. GPS accuracy is more like 10 feet ,so I've wavered between keeping better track and just ignoring the short stuff entirely.

I do know that I'm not stuffing anything close on my short game. Very few inside 3 feet. A lot of the up and downs I'm making recently are from 5-6 foot putts.

Sully - I know I keep asking this question, but I am curious of your continued experience with Game Golf. Still enjoying it? Any additional insights based on the data collected so far?

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Still liking the Game Golf. Super easy to use and provides a lot of good information.

The biggest thing I've gotten out of it is a real appreciation for how far I actually hit the ball, and what sort of dispersion I have on that distance. Last handful of rounds I've been taking more club and have been pin high or long more often than short. I've been thinking differently about front or back pins and what sort of leave I give myself. Front pins I'm taking more club and if I flush it I'm in the back, and back pins I'm trying to play the flushed distance and if I come up short I'm in the front or middle.

That's something I could have (and should have) learned without Game Golf, since I was always coming up short, but for some reason it never sunk in. I was always focusing on my flushed distance that I hit it on the range off of a mat.

Currently a member at Waverly. Thinking of switching to Hobbit's. Thoughts? Fabb? City? It is a bit cheaper and slightly closer to home and work. I've never played it, but I only hear good things. JJ, Halcyan, City, Fabb... I think all of you should join too ?

Cameron Newport, 34"

Currently a member at Waverly. Thinking of switching to Hobbit's. Thoughts? Fabb? City? It is a bit cheaper and slightly closer to home and work. I've never played it, but I only hear good things. JJ, Halcyan, City, Fabb... I think all of you should join too ?

It's easier than waverly, but not a pushover. It's also long enough to still test somebody with your length. I really enjoy the course. Lots of replay value. Go out and play a Monday golfnow time, or just ask them for a preview round. I've got the membership directors info if you want an intro. I hear there are some players out there as well.

Sounds like you have a good plan. When you do your chipping practice, maybe hit a handful at once and make a note of where your misses are with chips.You may find that you hit certain shots around the green better with a different wedge!

i used to play all my shots with my LW but i've been working on keeping the ball lower when i can. I'm definitely trying different wedges.

I've been looking at short game stuff to do too. I've been so focused on just being able to hit the stupid ball that I ignored some short game work.

the difference between short game and long game practice is that i feel like most people's long game practice (mine often included) isn't actually doing anything to help them. It's sort of the reverse with the short game. All practice is effective. Certainly we can all maximize that time, but generally any time spent on the short game is making you better

Fabb was telling me the details of joining CA and it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all

I would say that it's my favorite course so far I've played in the area.

Have you been to Waverly? Can you come out Tuesday at 3p? We have 3 peeps right now. Should be 37 walking until 1 April. 44 with cart.

As it is, Waverly is great because City, Halcyan and myself play regularly almost weekly matches out there. So, I'd probably switch only if I had a regular game to get into. That is the critical factor when joining somewhere.

Fabb, I will get out on a Monday. Or just play a preview round, but I'd want to do it with someone I know versus a rando. Hint, hint, wink, wink.

Life is hard....

Cameron Newport, 34"

Fabb was telling me the details of joining CA and it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all

Have you been to Waverly? Can you come out Tuesday at 3p? We have 3 peeps right now. Should be 37 walking until 1 April. 44 with cart.

As it is, Waverly is great because City, Halcyan and myself play regularly almost weekly matches out there. So, I'd probably switch only if I had a regular game to get into. That is the critical factor when joining somewhere.

Fabb, I will get out on a Monday. Or just play a preview round, but I'd want to do it with someone I know versus a rando. Hint, hint, wink, wink.

Life is hard....

I'm planing on playing there Monday the 18th if you wanna join

Life is hard....

I'm planing on playing there Monday the 18th if you wanna join

I will be in Myrtle that week.

Cameron Newport, 34"