2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

If you're hitting balls how many drivers can you hit until it's either unproductive or making you worse (bad timing, swinging too hard, body won't move properly, you start "trying something", etc. )?

Trick question...you can always improve on something.

I would 100% disagree with this statement.

You def reach a point where you begin thrashing at balls and you are not improving on anything. I'm not sure what my limit is, but I have definitely reached it and know that everything after that is justifying the extra $4 I spent on a large bucket. I usually stop with the full swings and hit some half / 3/4 wedges.

It's natural for you to disagree but it is true that you can always improve on something.

Note that I never said how many swings or how long but everyone can always improve on something related to golf.

Specific answer, I would say a small bucket of just woods. 20-30 balls and I know when it won't be a good "driving" session. Hit the short game then come back to the driver and irons.

It's not natural for me to disagree? I disagree because it is an incorrect statement. It is a physical limit; your body is at a level of exhaustion that you can not perform correctly. You can not improve at that point.

Kent said it correctly. If you continue to try through the exhaustion, you are creating bad habits, memories, muscle memory, etc.

His question was about hitting driver. When do you stop improving? -as related to the driver. Not: when you get tired hitting driver, what do you do to continue improving at "something related to golf?"

Nike would disagree with you--

"Just do it"

Then Gatorade

"Quench your thirst"

My favorite

Trolling is fun!

However, if driver ain't working do you just go home? No you focus on something else.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Golf is a funny game. One day you got it, the next is a struggle. Been working on standing a little taller with the feet a little closer. Seem to be making better contact. Need to hit more GIR. Noticed I have not been doing that very well this year to date.

Funny, been working on the same things. Taller, less knee bend, a bit closer to the ball, narrower stance. i tend to get slouched and too wide, which causes reaching and tension. Suck age of club inside. Hit irons well sat, but driver was spotty. Can't have it all.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

If you're hitting balls how many drivers can you hit until it's either unproductive or making you worse (bad timing, swinging too hard, body won't move properly, you start "trying something", etc. )?

Why are you hitting a bunch of drivers in a row?

The answer to this question is to have at least 5 drivers in the bag.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

OK. You have my attention because I have pondered this thought.

While I think we have determined that you aren't a range rat, if someone handed you 100 balls, would you not hit the same club more than once in succession?

Isn't there a legitimate argument that benefit can be found from hitting the same club multiple times to tinker with swing thoughts, what you are focusing on, certain "moves"?

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

If I'm really working on something at the range, I never hit more than 2-3 balls with the same club. Whatever you're working on feels totally different from a short wedge through a driver.

On top of that, if you're hitting it bad with any club, you know after a couple swings. Go to a wedge or 9 iron and find it again. Then switch back.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

11kv6w.jpg

protos F4

11kv6w.jpg

29cb91a4e0ae63fe8563ee8bd04a7a97c17864459f26810950d7f44d637b056c.jpg

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

11kv6w.jpg

29cb91a4e0ae63fe8563ee8bd04a7a97c17864459f26810950d7f44d637b056c.jpg

200w.gif

protos F4

OK. You have my attention because I have pondered this thought.

While I think we have determined that you aren't a range rat, if someone handed you 100 balls, would you not hit the same club more than once in succession?

Isn't there a legitimate argument that benefit can be found from hitting the same club multiple times to tinker with swing thoughts, what you are focusing on, certain "moves"?

I'm not a range rat now because I don't have the time (or joint health at the moment) to be one. I'd love to practice if I could. I grooved my swing through lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of repetitions. I used to spend sun up to sun down at the golf course as a teenager.

I wasn't judging 2moreterps... yet. Just wondering what his purpose was for hitting so many drivers in a row. Was he working on a particular shot with the driver?

To your first question, it depends what I'm doing on the range. If I'm working on the swing, probably cycling through a few clubs working on whatever move or drill is the focus of that session. So yes, there certain times where I might be hitting the same club over and over. Even then, I like to cycle between drills and normal swings. If I'm on the range practicing "golf" though, you best believe I'm not banging drivers over and over until I'm tired.

Sometimes I think it's difficult not to hit driver over and over again. Spraying your tee ball all over the place is one of the more frustrating, demoralizing things that you can do on the course. When I picked up the game and couldn't find a fairway to save my life, all I did at the range was hit wedges and drivers. When I'm more comfortable with getting the ball in the general right direction, I don't gravitate towards the big stick on the range. The past few times I've gone, I'm mostly hitting short and mid irons, with only a few drivers in there. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing, just that it can be hard to avoid.

Of course, in hindsight, it might have made sense to groove a repeatable swing and just transition that to the driver. Oh well.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I like to hit 6 iron after 6 iron when working on my swing

For driver.. I like to act like I'm playing a hole and trying to follow a pre shot routine and hit a certain shot

That being said- haven't been to range since June last year

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

My biggest weakness is some combination of rythym, transition, etc. I feel like the best way to improve it is by hitting a million balls. Every time I hit a bunch of drivers in a row I feel like I've made it worse. Knowing that I shouldn't do it, I do it because I'm frustrated and being stubborn and REALLY making it worse.

I also ask because I think there is a physical component to it. I read that before Rory starting working out he couldn't hit more than 10 drivers in a row. I saw City post a couple weeks ago that he had a driver range session. That amazed me.

I posted a couple days ago about my plan and a part of it is that I don't want to make myself worse with practice. I have a bad habit of doing that when I get frustrated and impatient.

My biggest weakness is some combination of rythym, transition, etc. I feel like the best way to improve it is by hitting a million balls. Every time I hit a bunch of drivers in a row I feel like I've made it worse. Knowing that I shouldn't do it, I do it because I'm frustrated and being stubborn and REALLY making it worse.

I also ask because I think there is a physical component to it. I read that before Rory starting working out he couldn't hit more than 10 drivers in a row. I saw City post a couple weeks ago that he had a driver range session. That amazed me.

I posted a couple days ago about my plan and a part of it is that I don't want to make myself worse with practice. I have a bad habit of doing that when I get frustrated and impatient.

Any lessons or another set of eyes to see what's going on.

protos F4

This Jason Day interview is great. He smarted off to his coaches at private school! He drank alcohol. He got in a fight or two. Thug life.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Can't be the same person, I like Eagle! Actually, I don't mind Jason Day, but his story doesn't sway me at all. He was a bratty kid with an alcoholic father. Lots of kids like that who turn out to be great people, not just a top golfer. The media's fascination with his story says more about the folks who get the opportunities to play golf from a young age with top instruction than it does about any uniquely elevated resilience that J Day may or may not possess. Dude can play golf. No doubt.

Cameron Newport, 34"

Your biggest weakness is probably something in your swing that makes it dependent on your rhythm, transition, energy level that day, etc - not necessarily that you need to improve one or more of those things. I know mine is. My release has gotten too flippy. On a good day, I square the face well. On a bad day, I don't. No amount of beating balls over and over without changing anything is gonna fix that very much.

MTN and I played our match today in the steady 20mph, gusts up to 35mph winds at Hobbits.

3) Big hook for me, Matt puts his ball well right into Greg territory. Matt takes a couple to get to the green, I blow one over the back. 3 putt. Matt gets a stroke. AS

That was pretty far right! I must have liked it over there because I hit both drives within 5 yards of each other.

I think thread hero davechen might take offense at this guy's screen name.

THDC.png

You don't know how mad I got when I found out there was another Dave Chen at NIH. Now there are 6 according to the directory.

This mad..

200w.gif

protos F4

Best convo from Saturday after the round:

Puppet: why are you handing me the scorecards? You think I'm good at math just because I'm Asian?

Me: Yes.

Everyone: <giggling>

Puppet: typical.

Me: also, you are wearing GLASSES.

Me: nothing wrong with being a positive racial stereotype. I won a math contest in high school.

DC: a math contest? Those things actually exist? How does that work?

Me: yes. It was in an auditorium. Math problems were put on a screen and you had a limited amount of time to solve the problem. We only had 3 on my team versus teams of four... And we won.

DC: that sounds just crazy enough to be true.

Bangass: have I mentioned my hot pianist Russian girlfriend recently? Because I have one. She's hot. She's Russian. I haven't yet told her why I'm playing in a season-long contest called the CCCP.

Puppet: here's the results. DC and I did very well.

Stix: Imma double check that. <points out three errors>

It was like this for 45 minutes. I didn't even include the cheering for/against the golfers who came up 18. Simply fantastic.

FYI: the next DCGT event is on April 23 at Bristow Manor. Sign up at www.dcgolftour.com

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Stix: Imma double check that. <points out three errors>

Hey, I told Stix to check it, I didn't trust my attention to detail after the beer and wings.

Plus, you forgot the *edited* convo.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Me: nothing wrong with being a positive racial stereotype. I won a math contest in high school.

DC: a math contest? Those things actually exist? How does that work?

I know it's a little racist and stereotypical, but it's a lot better than most stereotypes and racism, that's for sure. Better than being a hot headed drunk at least. I only fulfill about half of that Irish stereotype.

For the record, I finished 2nd place in a math competition once. I also had better math SATs than any Asian kid in my school. Caveat: I lived in white suburbia without any Asian kids who could show me up. I'm now trying to be serious and can't think of any in ~400 kids in my high school class.

"Asian F"...

I thought that crossed the line of what we can post with that. :)

I do remember DC muttering, "yet another hilarious line that I can never say."

Btw, you're wrong DC. You can say those things. Just not around mixed company who don't know if you're being serious or just taking the p!ss.

I mean, how many glitter beard pics can I post before you lash out? :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5