2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Getting back to the range talk, I actually asked for my own benefit. Like Siegel, I find myself gravitating towards banging a lot of drivers at the range because (a) it costs me more strokes than any club in the bag and (b) there is nothing that ruins a round of golf more than hitting 3 from the tee and/or having no shot of getting the ball on the green in regulation (because of where you drove it). In other words, it is the biggest weakness in my game, so naturally it is what I try and focus my practice time on. I was just wondering if slipping in some other clubs for a few swings between drivers might help.

I'm planning on spending some 1 on 1 time with Monte when he is here in May (I cant do the full 3 day clinic) to try and figure out how much of it is a rhythm thing and how much is flawed mechanics independent of rhythm/transition.

Honestly, I like hitting a lot of driver on the range, too. It's the most important club in your bag, IMO.

The problem with hitting a lot of it is getting into bang bang bang bang bang mode.The groove is seductive, as grooves tend to be.

If you want to hit a lot of drivers, I think it's much better to go driver-wedge-driver-7I-driver-hybrid-driver-4I, etc etc etc. Just don't fall into that bang bang groove.

Or, at least go fade-hook-high-low, and really score yourself on whether you hit a narrow "fairway" or not. Picture holes you play, and pretend you're on them. When I hit driver at the range, I do a lot of "OK, I'm on hole 1 at Pine Ridge. I'm aiming 10 yards right of the trees." Or, "I'm on hole 1 at Worthington and I'm playing a draw off the right fairway bunker". That kind of thing.

But, just standing there focusing on your footwork, or your elbow, or your hips, or a feel in your hands. . .I do almost none of that, especially during active season.

jmo.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Golf Talk Tuesday : What is your primary chipping club, and your primary pitching club?

11lsou.jpg

I never get sick of "all the things".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

i can't stand submitting my garbage net differential from POSH towards the CCCP. going to try to get out tomorrow afternoon at needwood or blue mash or somewhere if workflow allows. i was telling domes that i felt like taking 2 weeks off after saturday, then woke up sunday itching to play.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Getting back to the range talk, I actually asked for my own benefit. Like Siegel, I find myself gravitating towards banging a lot of drivers at the range because (a) it costs me more strokes than any club in the bag and (b) there is nothing that ruins a round of golf more than hitting 3 from the tee and/or having no shot of getting the ball on the green in regulation (because of where you drove it). In other words, it is the biggest weakness in my game, so naturally it is what I try and focus my practice time on. I was just wondering if slipping in some other clubs for a few swings between drivers might help.

I'm planning on spending some 1 on 1 time with Monte when he is here in May (I cant do the full 3 day clinic) to try and figure out how much of it is a rhythm thing and how much is flawed mechanics independent of rhythm/transition.

Honestly, I like hitting a lot of driver on the range, too. It's the most important club in your bag, IMO.

The problem with hitting a lot of it is getting into bang bang bang bang bang mode.The groove is seductive, as grooves tend to be.

If you want to hit a lot of drivers, I think it's much better to go driver-wedge-driver-7I-driver-hybrid-driver-4I, etc etc etc. Just don't fall into that bang bang groove.

Or, at least go fade-hook-high-low, and really score yourself on whether you hit a narrow "fairway" or not. Picture holes you play, and pretend you're on them. When I hit driver at the range, I do a lot of "OK, I'm on hole 1 at Pine Ridge. I'm aiming 10 yards right of the trees." Or, "I'm on hole 1 at Worthington and I'm playing a draw off the right fairway bunker". That kind of thing.

But, just standing there focusing on your footwork, or your elbow, or your hips, or a feel in your hands. . .I do almost none of that, especially during active season.

jmo.

I like that.

It's usually always some flawed mechanics, not just that you can't swing a club with good rhythm. Your good and bad days just depend more on how your rhythm and timing are.

Agreed.

For me, it's about trying to figure out what I should be "thinking about" in order to maximize the likelihood that I get the ball in play. Should I be thinking about a smooth rhythm or should I be thinking about bringing the club back straight getting the club in the right position at the top.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

jmo.

I think this is what I should be doing.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

jmo.

I think this is what I should be doing.

I think it's helpful, and also helpful to score yourself on it. Like, really try to pull off 7/10 what you're trying to do. I like to hit between two flags on the range, and mix up fades and draws. When you're 5/8 and need to go 2/2 to get 7/10, it can really focus the mind.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

For Halcyan and Sully. . .

I want to pair up with PQ today, and -- to Halcyan -- probably again on Saturday. You are in for Saturday, right?

PQ and I need to start teaming up to get ready for MSGA fourball. He needs to start learning how to deal with my bullsh1t.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I want to pair up with PQ today, and -- to Halcyan -- probably again on Saturday. You are in for Saturday, right?

PQ and I need to start teaming up to get ready for MSGA fourball. He needs to start learning how to deal with my bullsh1t.

I've developed selective deafness. We good.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

i've mentioned this theory to you after tony and i played you guys at blue mash, but i think you two play best when you play *against* each other, rather than as a team. seems crazy i know. i just think you're both wired to be super-competitive with one another and that motivation brings out excellence.

i don't think PQ wants to hear your thoughts on what the read is, or what the wind is doing, or what club to hit. you might want to say it in a team scenario, but i don't think he wants to hear it.

you might play better getting info from him, but i also think it just might confuse you. singular purpose = singular results.

just one guys opinion. i've only played with you two together a couple times. halcyan might have a better view.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i've mentioned this theory to you after tony and i played you guys at blue mash, but i think you two play best when you play *against* each other, rather than as a team. seems crazy i know. i just think you're both wired to be super-competitive with one another and that motivation brings out excellence.

i don't think PQ wants to hear your thoughts on what the read is, or what the wind is doing, or what club to hit. you might want to say it in a team scenario, but i don't think he wants to hear it.

you might play better getting info from him, but i also think it just might confuse you. singular purpose = singular results.

just one guys opinion. i've only played with you two together a couple times. halcyan might have a better view.

I think we both ascribe to the "I'll ask you if I want any advice" method. We good.

Cameron Newport, 34"

58 degree for everything

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Eagle, isn't Blue Mash punching yesterday and today? Not sure punched greens will help any of our CCCP chances.

Unrelated, can anyone find/make me a OneTrueGod-Syracuse pic for my avatar.

going to try worthigton then. F it.

sidenote: sully's been working hard getting the #CCCP functional with online entry. we'll post in the thread with instructions. please make sure all your applicable rounds for this handicap period are posted on The Grint, and that the slope/course ratings are correct for those rounds. thanks.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I think we both ascribe to the "I'll ask you if I want any advice" method. We good.

I've seen really good teams that almost never speak to one another. There might be the occasional "I knew that putt went the other way" jab walking back to the cart, but very little outside of wife/kids talk. Then I've seen teams that discuss the direction the grass is growing in the rough and how that affects contact/flight/landing/club selection. Find your own sweet spot and go with it. Just make sure there are circles not squares on the card.

58 degree for everything

Mistake.

I tried to tell him.

Also, you're gonna hear that like 10 times from me today.

"Mistake".

I'm just saying when I pound one down the middle on 6 and have a wedge in, I want to see the driver in PQ's hands. If I'm right in front on 11 in 2, he's gotta be going for it and not be playing the "stroke play shot".

And vice-versa.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Brings up an interesting topic. I pretty much only discuss strategy with partners if one or both of us is in trouble. Other than that, I don't want or need advice on anything. There may be an occasional read on a putt, but that happens about once a round.

I'm always happy to give advice but only if solicited.

Just make par, b****.

I don't like to have my putts read, or read them for others.

I like getting a read on the wind and looking at front/middle/back and saying "this a 145 shot?"

PQ and I actually do a lot of that anyway, whether we're playing against or with each other.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Eagle, isn't Blue Mash punching yesterday and today? Not sure punched greens will help any of our CCCP chances.

Unrelated, can anyone find/make me a OneTrueGod-Syracuse pic for my avatar.

going to try worthigton then. F it.

sidenote: sully's been working hard getting the #CCCP functional with online entry. we'll post in the thread with instructions. please make sure all your applicable rounds for this handicap period are posted on The Grint, and that the slope/course ratings are correct for those rounds. thanks.

I'm planning on posting that 79 from Saturday.

Only thing is my index is incorrect on the grint (I'm going to use my actual index/CH as calculated from GHIN)

I played a set of combo tees that weren't on The Grint (I'm going to use the combo tee slope/rating)

PA is out of season still, so I'm not even posting that round to GHIN (S my B's)

Basically, my point is that everything associated with The Grint is incorrect, and I'm not fixing it. Ever. Not even if there's a fire.

Brings up an interesting topic. I pretty much only discuss strategy with partners if one or both of us is in trouble. Other than that, I don't want or need advice on anything. There may be an occasional read on a putt, but that happens about once a round.

I'm always happy to give advice but only if solicited.

Just make par, b****.

Likewise. I'm a crappy green reader, so I'm usually just looking for confirmation that I have the right general read.

In general, though, I play more of a thinking game than most of the guys I usually play with, so they don't have much help to offer me.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Maybe I'm in the minority here. When I'm out playing with a buddy or doing a scramble or something, I enjoy chatting about the round. How does the putt break, what kind of shot do you think should be played, can pull off a flop from this lie etcetc. You can even feel free to talk to my ball after I hit it, it really doesn't bother me

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

It's usually always some flawed mechanics, not just that you can't swing a club with good rhythm. Your good and bad days just depend more on how your rhythm and timing are.

I understand the

Golfer: “I hit the ball so well on the range why can’t I take it to the course??”

Instructor: “ you hit the ball well on the range because you can time your swing well enough to compensate for your flaws on the 7th – 16th ball”

But that doesn’t necessarily apply anymore once you’re a decent golfer. I’m not going to claim “perfect” mechanics (whatever that even means), but in my last two rounds I’ve lost one ball. I’m not a mechanical disaster. If my alignment/aim/rhythm are good I hit good shots. When they are off the repercussion is mechanical problems. So when I jerk the club away at the takeaway I lay it off. When I’m smooth and turn my body I don’t. The problem isn’t my mechanics it’s my alignment/aim/rhythm.

Changing from theoretical to practical: the implication is that for many players (me) it’s more important to make more your swing more consistent than it is to make it “better”. You get more consistent through repetitions with a focus on the target.

City and PQ will be fine teaming up in the fourball. It's fourball medal play, right? Just go out and post the lowest score you can. There's not even any "you play a stupid agressive shot and I'll be conservative" stuff, really. Just play your normal games.

For me, it's about trying to figure out what I should be "thinking about" in order to maximize the likelihood that I get the ball in play. Should I be thinking about a smooth rhythm or should I be thinking about bringing the club back straight getting the club in the right position at the top.

That's a tough one. When I'm on the range practicing my golf swing, I'm thinking about some particular mechanic I'm working on. If I'm practicing or playing golf, there's none of that. All about target. No swing thoughts. I think one thought is ok, but no more.

58 degree for everything

Mistake.

I tried to tell him.

Also, you're gonna hear that like 10 times from me today.

"Mistake".

I'm just saying when I pound one down the middle on 6 and have a wedge in, I want to see the driver in PQ's hands. If I'm right in front on 11 in 2, he's gotta be going for it and not be playing the "stroke play shot".

And vice-versa.

]

Thread war. There is ZERO chance I hit driver on 6. Ever. I have a better chance of birdie not using driver. Yeah, on 11 I am always going for the green, unless I go too far left off of the tee.

Cameron Newport, 34"