2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Inspired by y'all, I tried chipping with a hybrid at the practice green today. It worked pretty well. It wasn't so good with the ball down in the rough or trying to go through too much rough. But otherwise I was very pleased with the results. The tip about feeling a putt one third the distance was pretty effective. I just might put it in play.

We lost PQ at Pine Ridge Saturday. If anyone is interested in that spot, let me know. 10:27 AM.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Windy mother out at Waverly yesterday. PQ and I vs. Halcyan and Sully.

And, right off the bat, I miss a 4 footer straight up the hill and just about lose my GD mind. Sick of playing in the wind. Sick of missing short putts. Didn't warm up well. And, I'm right to lose it. . .I played just fine the rest of the day. . .came in at 82 and that STROKE crosses my line. 5.3 differential = good. 6.2 differential = bad. It pi$$ed me off worse than shanking one OB on 13 and then sticking the next one to 15 feet from 240 yards. Absolutely unforgivable error. And then I did it again two holes later.

But, we halve 1 with bogeys anyway. Halve 2 with birdies. PQ rams in a 30 footer on 3 for bird. Halcyan wins 4 with par and 5 with bird. So we're -1. PQ and I par 6 FTW (E) and then we get to my MTN-inspired 7th.

7 pin is back, and probably 235, but dead into the wind. I decide to try to throw a cut driver in there. I hit the exact shot shape I'm looking for, but pushed it a little right. Golf gods rewarded my MTN-ness though, with a great lie, and I was able to toss it up there to about 8 feet and sink the putt to go +1.

Meanwhle, Halcyan has already hit 5/7 greens, but has 3 3-putts and 3 1-putts and a 2-putt. He birdies 8 ramming in a 15 footer FTW, and on 9 he hits a decent drive and still has about 240 in (did I mention it was windy?). Tops a 3w, then tosses in a wedge to a foot. Par is good FTW. We're -1, and -2 after 10.

I get it back to -1 with a nice 15 foot birdie on 12. PQ evens it with a par on 13 as Hal 3-putts (again).

Halve 14, then we get to 15. Pin is 190 from tips downwind, and I hit a great looking 5 iron that gets through the green. PQ does the same with an 8. Hal misses right, and then Sully steps up from the blue tees, 170-ish. Perfect looking draw coming in, hits short of the pin and starts rolling at the hole. And rolling. And rolling. It looks to the whole world like it's going it and d@mn if the thing didn't stop 2 inches DFC. Seriously. Less than 1 revolution from going in. Absolutely stellar shot. Although he said he toed it. I didn't think so. We're -1

Pause in the action : Sully's swing looks SO MUCH better than last year. Did a lot of work over the winter, obviously. Really compressing it better. He's basically lost the weak fade. He also hit some great chips (including a chip-in on 16 for par on his second ball) and nice putts.

We win 16 as PQ pars. E.

17 is a TOTAL sh1t show. Hal plays it as a 3-shotter. I decide to try to go for the green in 2 from a bad lie from 210 and dump one into the hazard. PQ is playing from the 16th hole, and Sully loses one into the hazard. Hal wins it with a one-putt bogey as PQ and I miss our 10 foot bogey putts by a total of about 2 inches.

It's over on 18 as Sully, with a stroke, makes his SECOND bird of the back side.

PQ puts up 79 finishing double bogey - bogey.

Halcyan and I are both 82 (he's maybe 81), but I do it with 26 putts and he does it with about 37 putts. I hit 3 greens. I think he hit 12, which was very impressive ball striking for those conditions from those tees. PQ hit 10 greens.

Lotta "coulda shoulda"'s from the round, but I missed two bunnies and took 3 penalty strokes and topped a drive on 8 that went about 50 yards. Made a couple nice putts, but that round could have been 3-4 shots better, EASY.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

It's over on 18 as Sully, with a stroke, makes his SECOND bird of the back side.

I had 9 strokes and made more real birdies (2) than net birdies (1, on the short #2 where I think everyone birdied for real?). Halcyan would have been fuming if he wasn't pissed at himself for the 3 putts :). Blew one OB on #16 and made an 8 on #17 to ruin another good back 9. Hitting the ball well but need to turn that in to scoring when it's not stuck close on the approach. E.g. on #1 I was on the hazard line, with the right line blocked by tree limbs, and I hit a great punch draw 7 iron that lands short of the green, rolls uphill and to the right and rolls along a ridge and gets blown off the green by the wind I think. Made bogie. Great golf shot, but didn't convert on it to make par.

On #8 (?):

City: "do you have any interest in seeing Batman v Superman?"

Me: "huh?"

City: "Do you have any interest in seeing Batman v Superman?"

Me: "Uh, in Baltimore? Where at?"

City: "No no no I'm not inviting you, just asking about the movie"

TOTAL tease.

I had 3 3 putts and 3 shanks. On 11, I hit driver 293 into wind, then cold topped a 5 iron from 210 and shanked the 100 yard approach. This after 3 putting 10. Total meltdown out there. Weak between the ears. Golf is hard.

Sully is getting good at the game. He wil be sub 10 this year according to my sun dial.

Halcyan struck the ball like a champion. His putting will come back.

City had three real bad shots. Played solid. Short game is on point. Per usual. Minus a couple early misses.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

lol@Sully. Should have said, "well, PQ, Halcyan and I are going after this round, but you're not invited."

I'm a DC-tease.

I was actually just wondering if "people" in general have interest in seeing that movie. It's such a difference between critics and movie-goer's right now. I find the difference in opinions interesting. And, I do want to see it.

Most of the "NEGATIVE" stuff I've heard -- dark, long, philosophical, weird, humorless, doesn't stick to comics -- aren't even negatives. They might be things some people don't like, but they're not inherently negative.

Now, I have heard the plotting is sort of convoluted, too many plot lines, could have lost about 30 minutes. . .those are getting more into "this is why it's a bad movie" territory, but they don't seem to be bothering too many people going to see it. Interested in seeing the retention percentages after this weekend's box.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

On 11, I hit driver 293 into wind,

Did you happen to measure on #16? That was a lot longer than 293. GameGolf put my 2nd tee ball at 279 (downwind and I caught the downslope). You were 20 yards past, and your tee box was 20 yards back, so it was somewhere ~320ish. Just did the Blue Golf Tour google maps clicking and says about the same as that estimate. You were far enough right where you didn't have a downslope to catch. You probably landed it in to an upslope actually.

Did you happen to measure on #16? That was a lot longer than 293. GameGolf put my 2nd tee ball at 279 (downwind and I caught the downslope). You were 20 yards past, and your tee box was 20 yards back, so it was somewhere ~320ish. Just did the Blue Golf Tour google maps clicking and says about the same as that estimate. You were far enough right where you didn't have a downslope to catch. You probably landed it in to an upslope actually.

No, but my pop up on 1 went less than 100 yards. Stupid game.

Cameron Newport, 34"

PQ was 293 into the wind. I was 230 hitting it as well as I could. Doesn't seem right. Anyway good game out there yesterday. Enjoyed meeting Sully. Solid game with a great birdie/net eagle on 18 to go 2 up.

lol@Sully. Should have said, "well, PQ, Halcyan and I are going after this round, but you're not invited."

I'm a DC-tease.

I was actually just wondering if "people" in general have interest in seeing that movie. It's such a difference between critics and movie-goer's right now. I find the difference in opinions interesting. And, I do want to see it.

Most of the "NEGATIVE" stuff I've heard -- dark, long, philosophical, weird, humorless, doesn't stick to comics -- aren't even negatives. They might be things some people don't like, but they're not inherently negative.

Now, I have heard the plotting is sort of convoluted, too many plot lines, could have lost about 30 minutes. . .those are getting more into "this is why it's a bad movie" territory, but they don't seem to be bothering too many people going to see it. Interested in seeing the retention percentages after this weekend's box.

City - interesting question. I've essentially reached my threshold on comic book movies. Unless I hear it is 'GREAT', I'm probably just as likely to wait for the Netflix/HBO release. I also didn't love the first Superman movie. Thing is, I love going to the movies and see a ton in theaters, but between avengers, xmen, superman, batman, antman, I just feel like I've seen ALL the superhero movies.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

He probably hit that 320, but there's a turbo slot there, and it was down wind. 293 into the wind on 11 was INSANE.

For reference, I thought I hit a really good drive there. It was solid, center face, slight draw, not too high, middle of the fairway. It was 215. And, I'm hitting the ball 250-ish lately. Sully's drive was pretty solid. Slight fade, good traj. It went 190.

That's all measured by GPS, btw. Not subtraction from hole yardages.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

#CCCP is almost ready to launch. Teaser pic of the current state of the leaderboard for the first period, based on scores posted on the Grint. If you guys have scores that do not have a hole-by-hole score on the Grint, they do not provide an automatic course handicap and differential. If you want those to be included you have to enter hole-by-hole or calculate the differential and course HC yourself.

Props to siegel, who I think was the only person with a negative net differential at Bulle Rock. He's definitely getting some bonus points for that which should take him in to 1st place.

#CCCP is almost ready to launch. Teaser pic of the current state of the leaderboard for the first period, based on scores posted on the Grint. If you guys have scores that do not have a hole-by-hole score on the Grint, they do not provide an automatic course handicap and differential. If you want those to be included you have to enter hole-by-hole or calculate the differential and course HC yourself.

Props to siegel, who I think was the only person with a negative net differential at Bulle Rock. He's definitely getting some bonus points for that which should take him in to 1st place.

Damn Sully, looks sweet!

Anyone get that email from Worthington today?

$20 off rounds before 3 b/w April 1st and 14th. http://www.worthingtonmanor.com/spring-has-sprung

Flying Dog happy hour special.

New Pin Placement System

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

$20 off rounds before 3 b/w April 1st and 14th. http://www.worthingt...ring-has-sprung

New Pin Placement System

Yes, but it says UP TO 20 off. I wonder if it's less on weekends? I was going to call and ask for the deets.

Cameron Newport, 34"

$20 off rounds before 3 b/w April 1st and 14th. http://www.worthingt...ring-has-sprung

New Pin Placement System

Interesting - I took the WM online survey about their food service a month or two ago and made a suggestion that they serve Flying Dog, since it's about 6 miles away and 100 times better than the beer they were serving.

So you can thank me for the happy hour special.

Also on the WM website - Eagle's not the only one with chodes...

Bridgestone Ball Fitting

March 30, 2016

Ever wondering if the golf ball you are playing is the correct ball for you? The answer can be found on Saturday, May 14, 2016 when the ever-popular Bridgestone Ball Fitting returns to Worthington Manor. The fitting session is fun, takes just minutes, can improve your game, is FREE and Bridgestone will give you a 2-pack of their golf balls just for participating. Just show up between the hours of 9 am to 2 pm to get tested.

Thank you for stopping at the top 20.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Thank you for stopping at the top 20.

I'm not grint-buddies w/ you, so couldn't add your scores :)

Just found out I'm playing in a school club tourney at Cross Creek next weekend. Any useful info I should know? Never been there before

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

New Pin Placement System

Yes, but it says UP TO 20 off. I wonder if it's less on weekends? I was going to call and ask for the deets.

Just click the link I provided.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green