2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

It was a really great day out there. I was fully prepared to slog through the rain, but it never showed. On the back 9 it got sunny and downright hot.

Brian and I had a really good match, it was cool to play with Scott again, and it was great to play with Phil. He made the course his biyatch.

In the match I started out hot. 1 over par through the first 4 holes, so I was up 3. But then I blew up on #5 and Brian worked his way back into the match, winning the next to holes. We tied 7 and 8 and I managed to hold him off.

If we had played an 18 hole match, he would have kicked my a**. He really turned it on on the back 9, and I crapped the bed in the middle section (8-13). I sort of righted the ship at the end, with a par and 4 bogies coming in.

My game continues to be a work in progress. Some good things coming out of the Monte outing. Irons and hybrids were pretty good. Putting is a bit better, but it wasn't really a problem before. Pitching is getting better, although still getting used to the Monte method. I had one bad sand shot, so I gotta work on that.

Driving was not very good. According to the scorecard (thanks Scott) I only hit 36% of the fairway. I had a pretty bad case of the slices. I only had one good drive of 250 yards that was still 40 yards behind Phil's 3 wood. Such is my lot in life. :)

That hip action we talked about will cause the biggest issues in the driver. One round of hitting 1/3 of the fairways is no biggie. Tour pros do that all the time.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

How about them Tar Heels! Men's and women's champs. :)

Don't you work for NIH? I'm going to make a wild assumption that you value academics and education? Aren't you embarrassed that your university has turned itself into a sham?

If you were channeling UNC you never beat Sully you just told everyone you did.

Any D1 school that hasn't had a big scandal involving shady academics to maintain the eligibility of their athletes is either just good at covering it up, or hasn't been looked into closely enough.

You're also fooling yourself if you think <insert alma mater you're proud of> hasn't covered up some kind of violent behaviors, sexual or otherwise. That's not just Baylor and Penn State.

The NCAA is a sham.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you rank the best days of your life, how many days until golf? And not like oh I played golf the day I got married I mean golf is the reason for the ranking

I was thinking about this. I guess I don't really rank "days" that much.

When I rank big "life events". . .going to college, moving out west, moving to Baltimore, accepting a job, playing golf, I put "golfing" up there pretty high. It occupies me physically, mentally, socially.

I've always had an active hobby. . .playing chess, racing my bike, used to run a lot, speed skating, crosswords, rollerblading, soccer, disc golf, etc etc. . .in THAT ranking, golf is tops. It's the best activity I've had for hanging out with my Dad, meeting new friends, bonding with my brother in law. . .I haven't met many people from "doing crosswords".

About the only day I think is really special is the day I met my wife. I don't care about my wedding day AT ALL, or graduations.

OK, put it this way. . .if you gave me the option of RELIVING a day, golf days would take 50 spots out of the top 100, easy. I'd almost say 75, but that would be pretty insulting to wife. My wedding day, or a graduation day wouldn't even get near the top 100. As a matter of fact, I find those days insanely annoying.

There are too many great random days, though, that you don't recall. Last Thursday, we got up, walked the dog, read, went for a perfect paddleboard on a glassy bay, made the beast with two backs, napped, went for a bike ride, went to the dog beach, ate our favorite pizza in the world, watched a good movie, went to sleep. It was pure relaxed bliss from sun-up to sun-down. Would anyone trade a day like that to sit through your graduation ceremony again?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

If you rank the best days of your life, how many days until golf? And not like oh I played golf the day I got married I mean golf is the reason for the ranking

I was thinking about this. I guess I don't really rank "days" that much.

When I rank big "life events". . .going to college, moving out west, moving to Baltimore, accepting a job, playing golf, I put "golfing" up there pretty high. It occupies me physically, mentally, socially.

I've always had an active hobby. . .playing chess, racing my bike, used to run a lot, speed skating, crosswords, rollerblading, soccer, disc golf, etc etc. . .in THAT ranking, golf is tops. It's the best activity I've had for hanging out with my Dad, meeting new friends, bonding with my brother in law. . .I haven't met many people from "doing crosswords".

About the only day I think is really special is the day I met my wife. I don't care about my wedding day AT ALL, or graduations.

OK, put it this way. . .if you gave me the option of RELIVING a day, golf days would take 50 spots out of the top 100, easy. I'd almost say 75, but that would be pretty insulting to wife. My wedding day, or a graduation day wouldn't even get near the top 100. As a matter of fact, I find those days insanely annoying.

There are too many great random days, though, that you don't recall. Last Thursday, we got up, walked the dog, read, went for a perfect paddleboard on a glassy bay, made the beast with two backs, napped, went for a bike ride, went to the dog beach, ate our favorite pizza in the world, watched a good movie, went to sleep. It was pure relaxed bliss from sun-up to sun-down. Would anyone trade a day like that to sit through your graduation ceremony again?

Chess is active? Crosswords? Good answer otherwise. For me, golf itself isn't even on the radar of best days. If you link it to the grander scheme of being a part of something relational, then yeah it has played a role in some great days.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

By "active hobby" I meant "active" in the sense of "presently occurring". Like an "active volcano".

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'll half buy your answer, city. Lots of ceremonial things are snooze fests for sure. I still put my wedding up there in a 3-way tie for first with the births of my children. The ceremony was short and sweet. We're both technically atheist, so there was no hour long mass to slog through. Other than that it was basically 2 straight days of celebrating with all our friends and family. It was an incredible time.

Beyond those top 3, the rest is totally a crap shoot.

Back to the golf days; I still can't pick a top 1, or 2, or 3. Some people might think it's a no-brainer to say "the day I shot <best round> was my best golf day" but I disagree. I don't think my best golf days were necessarily about playing my best golf. The RTJ day was surreal. All the superfriend gatherings are great golf days. Playing my FIL's member-guest is like being transported to a totally different life. So many

City, tell me everything you know about Will Shortz.

He has like an 1800 ELO in Ping Ping, last I knew.

My chess rating never got that high.

I had a pretty high "1 minute chess" rating on line.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I don't think I could come up with a top list of days. I'm more with city in that I could come up with some big events though. My wedding day would be toward the top, but like Fabb, it was a weekend party with friends and family (of which most I enjoy being around). Birth of the kids would be up there too. I went through undergrad graduation but it was a pain. I didn't go through graduation when I finished grad school and I don't regret that decision one bit. I think my top ten list would be well represented with motorcycle stuff...first track day, first time I drug a knee, etc. I loved riding and had a great time with the guys I rode with. While I love golf, I don't think any golf days would be in the top 50, maybe not top 100.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I'll half buy your answer, city. Lots of ceremonial things are snooze fests for sure. I still put my wedding up there in a 3-way tie for first with the births of my children. The ceremony was short and sweet. We're both technically atheist, so there was no hour long mass to slog through. Other than that it was basically 2 straight days of celebrating with all our friends and family. It was an incredible time.

Beyond those top 3, the rest is totally a crap shoot.

Back to the golf days; I still can't pick a top 1, or 2, or 3. Some people might think it's a no-brainer to say "the day I shot <best round> was my best golf day" but I disagree. I don't think my best golf days were necessarily about playing my best golf. The RTJ day was surreal. All the superfriend gatherings are great golf days. Playing my FIL's member-guest is like being transported to a totally different life. So many

The wedding day is just annoying to me. You sit around all day and can't really relax and "do something" because you have somewhere to be.

You need to get dressed up.

I eat food that I would never order in a restaurant.

You need to dance in front of people and get your picture taken endlessly.

On top of that, our wedding (at Aronomink, btw). . .most of the guests were my FIL's clients. This was good for a pocket full of cash, but I couldn't wait for it to be over and head to Banff. Every day in Banff was better than the wedding day.

There were some funny stories. On the way there, my best man goes, "Oh, I think I figured out a short cut".

He hadn't.

Then, he left the ring in the bathroom.

He forgot his speech.

He was sort of a mess until the drinking started.

I would have eloped in a second if it wasn't important to her -- and moreso her family.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City, tell me everything you know about Will Shortz.

He has like an 1800 ELO in Ping Ping, last I knew.

My chess rating never got that high.

I had a pretty high "1 minute chess" rating on line.

Will-Shortz-ping-pong-tmagArticle-v2.jpg

There was a time I thought i was a pretty good ping pong player. There were tables in the rec room at college, and basically no one could beat me. We had a table growing up.

So, I joined the club at college, which had some sweet-Word not allowed tables set up in the gym. I'd get beat by guys 21-0. No joke. There were Indian and Chinese guys there, and guys that actually practiced. I was. . .overmatched. . .to say the least. I got better in the club, but I never stuck with it long enough. I'd like to be able to play the game on the regular. Like golf, it's really fun when you start to develop some acumen, and are able to have a good match.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Don't you work for NIH? I'm going to make a wild assumption that you value academics and education? Aren't you embarrassed that your university has turned itself into a sham?

Any D1 school that hasn't had a big scandal involving shady academics to maintain the eligibility of their athletes is either just good at covering it up, or hasn't been looked into closely enough.

You're also fooling yourself if you think <insert alma mater you're proud of> hasn't covered up some kind of violent behaviors, sexual or otherwise. That's not just Baylor and Penn State.

The NCAA is a sham.

There are always levels.

The dynamics of organizations are also wildly different. No one high in the MD educational system is an ex MD football player. It's way way different than somewhere like FSU.

In the wake of Len Bias MD did not admit a number of very good basketball players. What UNC did is wildly different from anything that happens at MD or most schools. That is the worst academic fraud that has ever come to light ... By a lot.

I do not believe that MD would at all levels work to cover up what happened at PSU. I don't think most schools would. After the Baylor thing perhaps I am a bit naive though. That is bad bad stuff that happened down there in Waco. How does anyone adult with a conscience participate in that?

Top 3 days:

1.) First time I inserted and did 4 quick pumps

2.) Time I peed a kidney stone the size of a pinky nail

3.) That one time I rubbed one out

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

1.) First time I inserted and did 4 2 quick pumps

Fixed. Strike through doesn't show up very well on the number 4, apparently.

Also.

It really was like 2.5, but I round up. That was a great night.

My face:

1311947803699.jpg

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

days:

1) First day in Bandon

2) Second time I ate mushrooms

3) First time I ate mushrooms

I think mixing number 2 and 1 would be fun. There's always a next time.

Cameron Newport, 34"

UNC should get the death penalty for basketball and football based on just the facts of what happened over the last 5-10 years there. Now- it will never happen because UNC basketball is too important to the NCAA and the CB$ tourney contract.

I don't believe that all schools cheat. In fact I know not all schools cheat. It really comes down to the surrounding fans and boosters for how much a school is able to get away with or how far they can push the limits.

BAMA looks clean right now but thats bc no one at the school is doing anything. they have plently of "rogue" boosters who will gladly give a recruit or current player money

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

The NCAA is a sham.

There are always levels.

The dynamics of organizations are also wildly different. No one high in the MD educational system is an ex MD football player. It's way way different than somewhere like FSU.

In the wake of Len Bias MD did not admit a number of very good basketball players. What UNC did is wildly different from anything that happens at MD or most schools. That is the worst academic fraud that has ever come to light ... By a lot.

I do not believe that MD would at all levels work to cover up what happened at PSU. I don't think most schools would. After the Baylor thing perhaps I am a bit naive though. That is bad bad stuff that happened down there in Waco. How does anyone adult with a conscience participate in that?

Money is the answer to your last question, and I think you'd be shocked to learn of the crap MD or any other major conference college has covered up or allowed athletes to get away with. It happens everywhere all of the time. There are degrees of severity, sure, but college athletics is largely disgusting. Well, the NCAA certainly is.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I do work at NIH and one of the things I'm most proud of is my doctorate from UNC. The academic scandals at Carolina are extremely embarrassing. But it was a few rogue people in one department (Af-Am studies) including that department chair. I don't believe that it diminishes my degree in computer science. If you feel otherwise you are welcome to review or criticize the research I have done at UNC or since then.

The only thing that I can take a bit of solace in is that no other school would have investigated such a situation to the extent that UNC has. Most big time athletic programs would have completely swept it under the rug. First there was a report commissioned by the former Governor of North Carolina and then an independent report by a former DoJ official. Do you think Alabama or Penn State do anything more than shrug?

Forget the NCAA rules violations about money, recruiting, etc. I couldn't care less about any of that. I couldn't care less about the UNC thing, either. Those kids aren't there to get a degree. It's not like they handed out engineering degrees or something. I'm not saying it's right, but I can't get all bent out of shape about it. The entire system is jacked up. It's beyond fixing.

It's the covering up of abhorrent criminal behavior that really gets me. I 100% believe that happens everywhere. Maybe not to the extent of some of the high profile stuff that has come out in recent years, but I think it happens. Maybe that's cynical, but that's how I feel.

Pro sports aren't any better, IMO. In fact, it might be worse. The guys doing this stuff don't magically change when they go from college to professional sports. They're still the same old dirt bags, with big piles of money to help protect them instead of an institution.

The NCAA is a sham.

There are always levels.

Of course you don't believe that. They're "your guys".

Is there some reason to believe that people who occupy the administrative halls of the place you went have higher morals than the people who occupy the administrative halls of the place you didn't go?

Sorry in advance for the following statement -- this isn't about you, personally -- but I really believe that it's that kind of blind devotion (and I chose both those words carefully) that allowed the PSU thing to happen. You (WE) should be MORE critical and doubting of your (OUR) institutions, not less. They have too much power, too much money and too much to protect. And that goes for colleges, churches, police departments, etc.

Even looking at THDC's response. . .

But it was a few rogue people in one department (Af-Am studies) including that department chair.

The only thing that I can take a bit of solace in is that no other school would have investigated such a situation to the extent that UNC has.

Do you know how insane that sounds? Sorry DaveChen, but the worship of the athletics at a University like that IS THE REASON that these kinds of things happen. Your ability to "write it off" like it's a few bad apples is the problem.

You think if athletics at a university were just some kind of club-level meaningless thing that a school would have allowed pedophilia to go on for 40 years, or created entire departments to funnel athletes through, or create systems where students can take exams OVER THE PHONE (this happens), or cover up systematic campus rapes. You guys need to wake up. It's the institution of college athletics that let's this stuff propogate.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green