2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

I would be somewhat pleased, but mostly pissed if it really is just tendonitis. That is really all they could point to based on MRI and other physical evaluations up to my last visit in December. Doc said there could be small tears they weren't able to see on the MRI, but there really wasn't anything glaring. I hate the idea of it being something that requires me to get surgery, but I hate the idea of having a condition that is requiring life modifications I don't want to make at only 28 years old a whole lot more. I don't mean to break out into a "woe is me" routine here. It's just getting really f*cking old at this point. I thought I would (and still very well might be able to with some rest) make it through this season playing once a week until I had to re-evaluate.

I experienced several months of shoulder pain a couple of years ago that would fluctuate in severity from day to day. A trainer I knew here at UMD took a look and felt it was probably tendonitis (no MRI was done), suggesting time and rest. A few weeks later, with little change, I ran into a friend who noticed that I would wince at times while lifting my arm. He described very similar symptoms to mine that he had experienced a bit earlier. The first thing he asked me was how do I routinely sleep? Do I sleep with my arm extended above my head? A doctor suggested to him after several tests that revealed no apparent damage that the cause of his problem could be sleep position. This prompted me to consciously try to keep my arm down when going to sleep. A week of taking Aleve before bed and keeping my arm down worked wonders and within approximately 2 weeks all pain was gone. YMMV but it may be worth a try.

That's wild, Terp. I don't sleep with my arm above my head. I've tried changing sleeping position though, but it didn't change my symptoms. Even avoiding sleeping on it altogether doesn't seem to change anything.

lol, eagle. I ain't playing golf if it keeps feeling like this. I shouldn't have played last Thursday, but I'm suffering from short-sightedness and just wanting to be out there. I wanted to wait until late fall to consider any surgical options, but if I get to the point where I'm not playing anyway, I might as well consider it sooner.

Domes - see above response to Terp. Doesn't matter how I sleep. Also, we have a tempurpedic.

we're gonna need to setup video surveillance of your bedroom to confirm your sleeping position. i have insomnia so i am the perfect candidate for the first shift. DC wakes up when it's dark out so he can take over at 4am. send us a periscope link please.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I would be somewhat pleased, but mostly pissed if it really is just tendonitis. That is really all they could point to based on MRI and other physical evaluations up to my last visit in December. Doc said there could be small tears they weren't able to see on the MRI, but there really wasn't anything glaring. I hate the idea of it being something that requires me to get surgery, but I hate the idea of having a condition that is requiring life modifications I don't want to make at only 28 years old a whole lot more. I don't mean to break out into a "woe is me" routine here. It's just getting really f*cking old at this point. I thought I would (and still very well might be able to with some rest) make it through this season playing once a week until I had to re-evaluate.

I feel you. I have been in the same position for 20 years -- pain in my shoulder that comes and goes for no apparent reason. Last saw the doctors 2 years ago, and much like you, they did an MRI and surmised there could be something they couldnt see. My ortho thought he saw torn labrum, the doc who did the MRI didn't. We decided to see if the pain went away (which it always eventually does). It did, and has recurred a couple times since them.

I've had cortisone a number of times in both my knees and my shoulder. In my knees it has worked like a charm. In my shoulder, the pain always comes back (which makes me think there is more than tendonitis).

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

That's wild, Terp. I don't sleep with my arm above my head. I've tried changing sleeping position though, but it didn't change my symptoms. Even avoiding sleeping on it altogether doesn't seem to change anything.

lol, eagle. I ain't playing golf if it keeps feeling like this. I shouldn't have played last Thursday, but I'm suffering from short-sightedness and just wanting to be out there. I wanted to wait until late fall to consider any surgical options, but if I get to the point where I'm not playing anyway, I might as well consider it sooner.

Domes - see above response to Terp. Doesn't matter how I sleep. Also, we have a tempurpedic.

Also, I was thinking about the idea that a cortisone shot or therapy would be masking the problem. Won't it just bring down the inflammation until you decide on a scope? Why is that bad?

we're gonna need to setup video surveillance of your bedroom to confirm your sleeping position. i have insomnia so i am the perfect candidate for the first shift. DC wakes up when it's dark out so he can take over at 4am. send us a periscope link please.

Here's the link. . .

200.gif

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Also, I was thinking about the idea that a cortisone shot or therapy would be masking the problem. Won't it just bring down the inflammation until you decide on a scope? Why is that bad?

I guess the thought is the inflammation and pain are there for a reason. Masking that might just give me more opportunity to hurt myself worse.

Another idea for you FAbb, check the ergonomics of your office or where ever you spend a lot of time. Improper keyboard, chair or armrest heights cause a lot of problems for folks. Thats all I got.

Definitely not in an ideal ergonomic setup here. I moved my mouse to my left hand at my work computers, because an entire day of having my shoulder externally rotated using the mouse was killing me. It certainly hurts less at the end of the day since doing that.

GTT:

I was playing in a scramble with a bunch of fraternity brothers from NOVA. They got together, drank some beer, played some poker, hit the golf ball a little. I signed up well in advance, and ended up still playing in it even though my youngest was at Hopkins with an infection in his main line. The joys of leukemia and having a central line. He was getting better in leaps and bounds every day, and while I was on the course I got a call that his infection had gone away and we could go home the next day. Also got a call from my mom who was watching our house. The letter with the PE exam results came in the mail. She opened it and told me I had passed. I nearly drove the 17th hole at Pleasant Valley after getting both bits of information within like 15 minutes. I was still jacked up so much that I did put it on the front of the 18th green.

GTT:

I was playing in a scramble with a bunch of fraternity brothers from NOVA. They got together, drank some beer, played some poker, hit the golf ball a little. I signed up well in advance, and ended up still playing in it even though my youngest was at Hopkins with an infection in his main line. The joys of leukemia and having a central line. He was getting better in leaps and bounds every day, and while I was on the course I got a call that his infection had gone away and we could go home the next day. Also got a call from my mom who was watching our house. The letter with the PE exam results came in the mail. She opened it and told me I had passed. I nearly drove the 17th hole at Pleasant Valley after getting both bits of information within like 15 minutes. I was still jacked up so much that I did put it on the front of the 18th green.

Now that's a best day/golf moment...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Fabb, go see an orthopedist who knows sports. Nothing good came from Dr. Google.

That said, you probably need to start with a few months of good physical therapy followed by a few years in a weight room. A cortisone shot masks the real problem, which in your case is likely due to your lack of anything resembling a muscle. People rarely need shoulder surgery.

I've had 4 broken collarbones, two other broken shoulder bones, every muscle and tendon tear you can get. I was stupidly racing a mountain bike down hills at 40 miles per hour in high school. Time and PT. Time and PT. Stop golfing if it hurts.

One of my best days was a broken collarbone/dislocated shoulder on a mountain bike ride. About 8 to 10 miles from the car. By myself. If you live through pain like that, the rest gets easier. Best days don't have to feel best at the time. They can be awful, but come with lessons learned.

Those are some crazy crashes, chem.

I've been seeing a guy that I think is solid.

I'm a lot stronger than I look, but I agree 1000x over about needing exercise. I did weight training 3-4x/week from sophmore year of high school, until about 3.5 years ago when my wife was pregnant with our first. That's a solid 10 years of consistent strength training. I guess it's no real surprise that issues have started popping up since I stopped though. I wish I had more free time, but that ain't happening. To this point, I've just prioritized family time, and golf over everything else. It's maybe going to take an injury like this to change that, because I just can't get myself to pool up my "me time" to hit the gym 3 days/week at this point.

The "stop golfing if it hurts" thing is kinda weird. It has to this point, really not bothered me to play golf. In fact, it often hurts the least when I'm golfing. It might hurt a little more than the normal level of pain for 1-2 days after, but no more so that doing shoulder and rotator cuff exercises do.

I dunno. I'll see the doc again Thursday, and work with him to find some way forward.

Thanks for listening to the tales of wispy fabb, superfriends.

back to the question that was sort of GTT-

the golf round that was nearest the best day of your life... what was so good about it?

How you played? Who you played with? Where you played?

It was a day two years ago, after a rough Capitol Cup and some struggling all around. I was going to take the weekend off (it was Memorial Day) but said "screw it," called in a favor with some people, and got an AM time at River Run for cheap. Things CLICKED. Three birdies, an eagle, and somewhere way south of 30 putts. The only putt I really missed that day was to par the 18th and shoot 72.

Unrelated: I took the day off today and had a great one going, until finishing 6-5-5 for a 78. The holes that normally kill my score I handled really well but I got sloppy at the end, only part of which I can blame on bonking in the heat. Course is in ridiculously good shape though.

Couldn't ever hit my putts hard enough on the slow greens to convert birdies, but had a solid striking day. I thinned two irons pretty badly and had a couple of overcooked left shots with my woods but it's looking pretty promising for the rest of the season.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Not that this necessarily happened to you today, goose, but that kind of finish is so common. You hear tons of stories of people stumbling into the clubhouse when they have a good round going. It happened to me at the last red rag challenge something vicious. You also hear plenty of stories of people coming in strong after blowing up early. Once the expectation of putting up a good round is either established or removed, it changes things. It's one of the toughest mental things in golf to know you're doing well, and keep it going. This game.

Ouch.

before i self-censored it, the initial version had you caressing city's groin area, and the bubble had very different text. so, it could have been worse.

meant to mention this earlier, but THIS THING and THIS really helped me. psychosomatic cures? maybe. i know you said you've used resistance bands in the past. so have i. this isn't that. one of the exercises for the first one is kinda like swinging a big green dild0 around. it's hilarious. i laughed at myself doing it, so that was always a good thing. the second one kinda hurt, but i felt better after the 2nd session. never went back for a 3rd.

get better soon.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Not that this necessarily happened to you today, goose, but that kind of finish is so common. You hear tons of stories of people stumbling into the clubhouse when they have a good round going. It happened to me at the last red rag challenge something vicious. You also hear plenty of stories of people coming in strong after blowing up early. Once the expectation of putting up a good round is either established or removed, it changes things. It's one of the toughest mental things in golf to know you're doing well, and keep it going. This game.

Yeah, little bit of that no doubt. There were a couple of mental errors coming in and I got too aggressive on 17.

That being said, my best rounds in the last few years always had me birdieing a couple holes in the stretch. And I finally started playing better when I was down in a couple matches. When you're there consistently, it's easy to keep your head in it!

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Hive approved irons maybe changing soon...#ApexCF16

protos F4

Played at Oak Creek with MTN today. It was my "Memorial Day" after working through the weekend. Glad we got out, the weather was perfect and the course is in nice shape.

MTN hit some great balls and some less than stellar. I blamed it on the jet lag from his Boston shenanigans he decided he needs to practice or at least warm up after not playing for two weeks. Played a slice with the driver most of the day which lead to some lost balls and question marks. Putted well, especially from long distance. Lipped out two 30+ footers for bird.

I played well after remembering my Florida fix with the driver. First round in a while that I actually played better physically than mentally. Made some stupid decisions and swings. Still nice to hit the ball well. Put a new project putter I refinished in play and it was a thing of beauty. Had one 3 putt which was entirely my fault for not realizing just how far down hill it was, lipped out the come backer. Made a few mid range putts for bird / par that just never left the cup. Left a bunch of putts DCS too. Selling the extras. 1 day, I am committed... maybe...

I got the wild hair after the rain gear talk about 50 pages back. I found a FootJoy short sleeve pullover on eBay. It was listed as a wind shirt and no one bid. $25 and 3 days later it arrived. Brand new FootJoy DryJoy Tour XP rain jacket. NOICE!!

Putter Refinish:

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Hive approved irons maybe changing soon...#ApexCF16

What are you playing now again? Pings? Gotta get the company widgets before anyone notices :)

When's your next demo in MoCo?

A mixed bag of apex, apex pro, XR os, and some eye 2s.

My irons are being built and hopefully shipping out soon.

Don't know, have to check the schedule.

Crofton, Old South, Woodmore but those are closer to me.

Fox hollow 25 June (no clue what county)

protos F4