2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Double City-navel reflection FTW.

That's knows as Beautegard's Pit.

You should list items for sale with tummy pit shots. Too hot in here.

It's quite cavernous.

domes and city should have a cavernous depth of belly button contest. winner is determined by who pulls the most grunge out of there.

my money's on domes.

Depends on how many carbs I've eaten in the last 5 or 6 days.

Seriously, if you cut out carbs, you lose the gut. like, in a week. It's all water, but f*** you it's gone.

Then it comes back.

So I ordered a new rangefinder. Anyone interested in a cheap/project one?

My Medalist is still fully functional, but needs a new battery door cover (unless you want to duct tape it) that Bushnell can send. Friend clearance pricing.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

davechen took unsolicited video of me when I wasn't aware? I'm not sure if that's creepy or awesome. Back swing looks much improved on that video. Looks like I'm still doing my old transition move and screwing it up there though.

Played my match with CFree at Northwest this morning. Halved on the front 9 playing straight up. Good match that went back and forth. In retrospect I would have won with the 1 stroke I could have negotiated, but getting a single stroke is stupid. Plus the stroke is on the 1st par 5 which isn't all that tough.

1) He's behind the trees on the right and I'm 130 out in the fairway. He punches under the trees, I shove my shot 10 yards right of the green, turrible. He ends up hitting a nice 80 yard shot to ~15 feet and sinking that for par while I missed my ~10 footer and made bogie. +1 CFree

2) Both out in the fairway, he goes left side of the green while I'm just short. After his putt and my chip, I'm at about 10 feet and he is at 8. I sunk and he missed. All square.

3) Both short and in the fairway, I pound 5 iron to the back of the green and 2 putt to go 1up.

4) CFree makes a nice shot to the front of the green and makes an easy two putt for par. I was right and made a nice chip to get on the green but definite 2 putt territory. All square.

5) I 3 putted and made double from just short of the green. CFree 1 up.

6) We both bomb balls out in the fairway, then shove our fairway woods right and in to stupid spots. Both make doubles. Sad. Still 1up CFree

7) We both make nice shots to 20 feet and 2 putt for our pars. Still 1up CFree.

8) I bomb a drive and hit 4-wood just short of the front of the green. Chip on and 2 putt for par. CFree is in the right rough, hits it up the left fairway, and hits a nice approach on the green. But he missed a ~3 footer for par. All square.

9) I hit it to the back of the green above the hole, and CFree hits it just off the green with a sweet shot from the fairway bunker. I effing 3 putted from above the hole and he chipped on and 2 putter. Both bogies. Match halved.

He probably wants that putt back on 8. I want that putt back on 9. We both ended up shooting 43, just went back and forth on different holes.

6) We both bomb balls out in the fairway, then shove our fairway woods right and in to stupid spots. Both make doubles. Sad.

this line got me snuckling. thanks for sharing the play by play.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

6) We both bomb balls out in the fairway, then shove our fairway woods right and in to stupid spots. Both make doubles. Sad.

I don't know just how bad the first guy's fairway wood was. But, if I'm playing a match and my enemy stymies himself like that, the FW goes innie, and the 7 iron comes outie.

iow, tsk tsk on the second guy.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

at a guess:

driver off: 2, 5 & 6

4w off: 1, 3, 9

hybrid off: 8

have you tried using foot spray to check on driver face contact location?

We played the whites, which may change what you were thinking.

Driver: 5, 6, 8

4-wood: 1, 2, 9

7-wood: 3

No foot spray, but I can usually see the mark at the range. Typically closer to the toe. You can see my driver swing that THDC posted though, so there isn't much mystery to it. I'm standing out of it and getting steep.

I don't know just how bad the first guy's fairway wood was. But, if I'm playing a match and my enemy stymies himself like that, the FW goes innie, and the 7 iron comes outie.

Definitely. That was me. I thought he was in the right rough when he was really in the fairway bunker, and as soon as I saw him there I knew I screwed up. Definitely a bad move on my part. I still had 60 yards in from the rough after my shot, but the angle was absolutely terrible. I also couldn't see the pin position from where I was, which would have changed things. It was way in the back, so missing right is deadly. Should have hit a shorter shot to the left side of the fairway.

156h5n.jpg

In that vein, I'm hoping we hit some situations today where the right play against one guy is the wrong play against the other guy.

I mean, the majority of match play, you just play the "stroke play" shot anyway. But, not all the time.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Loaded my round up on game golf. Think it's time to get a driver fitting.

Shots off the tee

4-wood: 238, 231, 251

Driver: 223, 242, 227

That first one I hit with driver was a poor shot, but the other two were pretty solid off the face. Felt like I crushed it on the last one that was 227.

I usually suffer from the same issue, where my 3/4 wood goes further than my driver. Main reason for my less than average distance with driver was I was catching everything on the heel, which are way more punishing than toe shots imo. I remember I went to use the Callaway LM at Golfdom and I was hitting it so far on the heel (even hosel'd one) that I was averaging 180 yards of distance, 50 yards right, and 10000 rpm of backspin.

Not much of a fitter or anything, but what loft are you playing in the driver? Do you think more loft would help out and get more carry? Seems like when you hit down with the 4-wood, you're getting much better launch/spin numbers than the driver. Part of that could be location of strike or it could be the driver.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

for guys who like to geek out on numbers:

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/distance-study.pdf

seen first on golfwrx on this post:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1342998-ra-usga-release-18-page-paper-on-driving-distance-in-pro-golf/

the gist:

since the massive ball improvements in the early 2000s, driving distance has essentially stabilized with continued regulation.

lots of pretty graphs in there to drill down on. discussion of the use of 2 holes to determine driver distance measurements methodology. interesting if you are into that kind of thing.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

http://www.usga.org/...tance-study.pdf

http://www.golfwrx.c...ce-in-pro-golf/

the gist:

since the massive ball improvements in the early 2000s, driving distance has essentially stabilized with continued regulation.

lots of pretty graphs in there to drill down on. discussion of the use of 2 holes to determine driver distance measurements methodology. interesting if you are into that kind of thing.

Some additional observations:

• On all tours,the collective sum of all driver and ball improvements over the years have resulted in about a two stroke average drop.
  • The multi-layer ball had a greater impact then the titanium driver for distance.
  • There was little to no improvement, in fact some regression when oversized drivers (non-Ti) were released
  • The Web.com tour consistently averages longer in driving distance. To be expected, you have a lot of "freak" athletes and guys fresh out of college on that tour.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

the gist:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if the PGA/USGA and the R&A create different guidelines for equipment for tour pros and amateurs, where the limit of .830 COR can be exceeded in drivers and fairways at the amateur level, would you buy that equipment? Or would you stick with or adhere to the guidelines for tour players?

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Titleist Vokey 54*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

I'm sure this has been asked before, but if the PGA/USGA and the R&A create different guidelines for equipment for tour pros and amateurs, where the limit of .830 COR can be exceeded in drivers and fairways at the amateur level, would you buy that equipment? Or would you stick with or adhere to the guidelines for tour players?

I'd play the amateur equipment. Kinda like the aluminum bat vs wooden bat?

the gist:

3ee787e9446201f2d159d8e10eab041f838cbb0c78e4f94090af5d2d6ea9547f.jpg

Not much of a fitter or anything, but what loft are you playing in the driver? Do you think more loft would help out and get more carry? Seems like when you hit down with the 4-wood, you're getting much better launch/spin numbers than the driver. Part of that could be location of strike or it could be the driver.

Have a 12* R15, and it's actually turned up a bit. Been toying with it a little going up and down on the loft. The ball looks and feels nice, but I get up there and it's just 20 yards short of where I would expect a crushed ball to be. The one I hit today on #8 was as good as I can hit it and it was 230. My 4-wood shots that were less than perfect were that distance, and I've hit some 7-woods in the 220 range the last few days.

In fact, here are my woods off the tee the last 3 rounds on Game Golf. Limiting it to that because that's since the Monte clinic, and I haven't had the 4-wood back in play for much longer than that. Edit: the longest drive is one that actually hit the cart path, so toss that one out even.

Also,

I heard Fabb telling PQ that he was keeping his arms too stiff before he swung last weekend, and have repeated that to myself a bunch of times since then. It really does work to have your arms relaxed at address.

Everybody try it. Thank Fabb later.

PQ just looked like his arms were super rigid, locked into place, extended to the max. I thought having them a little softer at address and in the takeaway would just start the swing off a little better. Keeping the arms super rigid like that can lead to kind of a push away with the arms to start the swing. I know, because I was guilty of that prior to my lesson earlier this year. Now that he's shot two consecutive rounds under 75, I will claim full credit for the resurgence of his game

good question. i'd go with the tour player stuff.

if people want to be 20 more yards down the fairway, they can do it right now with their current equipment...

just move up a tee box.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

good question. i'd go with the tour player stuff.

if people want to be 20 more yards down the fairway, they can do it right now with their current equipment...

just move up a tee box.

Completely agree. Driving distance doesn't seem to be most people's issue - its keeping it in the fairway.

Sully did you take a look at the MGS link that I sent you on where to put the driver weights? Summary - Sully and I both have two weights in the front track and - I think - we've had the same problem in the past month(s) of hitting shots that feel great but go nowhere. The article - claimed - that putting the two weights in the front track is going to be the lowest spin option but also might give you the shorter distance at slower swing speeds - IE me. It recommended putting both weights in the back of the back track.

I will not claim to know if that makes any sense or not but I legitimately had taken driver out of the bag completely for this very problem - might hit the range tonight and try this. Worth a shot.

Edit - Claims:

Both weights in front track - lower, more forward CG / lower launch and spin / less forgiving / harder to square

Both weights in back track - maximum forgiveness / higher launch / easier to square

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Now that he's shot two consecutive rounds under 75, I will claim full credit for the resurgence of his game

Nice try, but no. We all know he was shooting so well because I was playing with him those two rounds. Must be my bubbly personality and optimism rubbing off on him. I'm going to have to start charging him a fee to play with him and follow him around in tournaments.

Now that he's shot two consecutive rounds under 75, I will claim full credit for the resurgence of his game

Nice try, but no. We all know he was shooting so well because I was playing with him those two rounds. Must be my bubbly personality and optimism rubbing off on him. I'm going to have to start charging him a fee to play with him and follow him around in tournaments.

Sully did you take a look at the MGS link that I sent you on where to put the driver weights? Summary - Sully and I both have two weights in the front track and - I think - we've had the same problem in the past month(s) of hitting shots that feel great but go nowhere. The article - claimed - that putting the two weights in the front track is going to be the lowest spin option but also might give you the shorter distance at slower swing speeds - IE me. It recommended putting both weights in the back of the back track.

I will not claim to know if that makes any sense or not but I legitimately had taken driver out of the bag completely for this very problem - might hit the range tonight and try this. Worth a shot.

I did see that, thanks. Unfortunately nothing I can do on that with the R15 since it has no rear track.

The R15 is already a "low foward CG" club, or at least it's marketed that way on the headcover. I put that extra weight in the track to adjust the swing weight after chopping some length off the butt of the shaft. That would change the "low forward" CG to even lower and more forward. Maybe I made the club worse by doing that. But the club doesn't feel good during the swing if I take that extra weight off. Maybe I can take the weight off and add some lead tape to the back of the head?

One thing is that my fairway woods feel really good. Not sure if it's the swing weight or total weight or what, but I really like how they feel during the swing. My old X-Hot kind of felt like that too, which had a heavier shaft in it. Maybe I need to go back to something like that.

In other words, I have no clue what I need to do, which is why I'll probably do a fitting. Been meaning to for awhile, but my swing was so jacked up that I knew it was a waste of time. Now that it's trending in the right direction I can probably do it without any issue.

Also,

I heard Fabb telling PQ that he was keeping his arms too stiff before he swung last weekend, and have repeated that to myself a bunch of times since then. It really does work to have your arms relaxed at address.

Everybody try it. Thank Fabb later.

He was talking covertly about my dingus, ya dingus.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"