2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Do you hide and how do you do it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just get the right wife in the first place. No hiding needed.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='pdgolferman' timestamp='1433008033' post='11656518']
[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1433002497' post='11656188']
Just get the right wife in the first place. No hiding needed.
[/quote]

......my mate got lucky. His missus said she was up for wife swapping.....traded her in for 2-PW Tommy Armour 925's and a bag of mixed tees
[/quote]

Plastic, martini or natural?

I really don't spend a great deal of money on golf stuff, just an occasional clearance mail order driver or fairway wood. I sometimes don't mention that I bought it. But as I said, no great deal of cash spent, under $100. If she finds it, I tell her and show her the receipt.

No big deal. It would probably be a big deal if I bought a new kit, at full retail, though. She knows I'm too cheap to do something like that.

Mine does not say one thing about any of my purchases. Of course I do not buy any "big ticket" items. If she is in the thrifts if she spots something she may call me especially if it has Macgregor on it or she may even purchase it if she likes it or thinks I may like it. Her philosophy is it is only a couple of bucks If you do not like it sell it trade it or give it away. Of course It works 2 ways I do not say anything to her either about what she buys.
BTW Wriggles I am just like you Mr. El Cheapo we ought to start the El Cheapo Golfers Club oops we are already members we frequent the Classic Golf and Golfers forum of WRX

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Well I don't hide the clubs but I don't tell she who knows best every time I buy a club . Hell why invite a blue.
I am sure she would be shocked at the number of clubs in the cabinet in the garage . Its a big cabinet and I've resorted to getting golf club boxes from the pro shop and boxing mine ,dosen't look so bad.

No need to hide anything here. My wife is very supportive of my hobbies. Although, I think my guitar habit could tip her over the edge.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Clubs in boxes in the garage. Smuggling in under cover of darkness.

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1433078334' post='11660072']
Although, I think my guitar habit could tip her over the edge.
[/quote]

Shamelessly hijacking the thread, interested to hear about the guitar habit. I think I only have seven now, but five of those are varying makes and models of SGs. Somewhat fortunately, I play guitar left-handed and like SG juniors. If I was right-handed and had a slightly more vanilla preference, I think I would be in trouble.

Might be genetic as Grouville senior had a huge stamp collection and, more recently, started buying rugs. He speaks Arabic (long story) so was getting them straight from the Middle East. The first ones were lovely, but then started getting carried away to the point of each room being six or seven deep, some becoming out of bounds for his elderly labrador as he couldn't make the step up. Was wondering if anyone else in the world had ever considered an intervention for a loved one's two hundred dollar a day rug habit...

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1433079811' post='11660174']
Clubs in boxes in the garage. Smuggling in under cover of darkness.

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1433078334' post='11660072']
Although, I think my guitar habit could tip her over the edge.
[/quote]

Shamelessly hijacking the thread, interested to hear about the guitar habit. I think I only have seven now, but five of those are varying makes and models of SGs. Somewhat fortunately, I play guitar left-handed and like SG juniors. If I was right-handed and had a slightly more vanilla preference, I think I would be in trouble.

Might be genetic as Grouville senior had a huge stamp collection and, more recently, started buying rugs. He speaks Arabic (long story) so was getting them straight from the Middle East. The first ones were lovely, but then started getting carried away to the point of each room being six or seven deep, some becoming out of bounds for his elderly labrador as he couldn't make the step up. Was wondering if anyone else in the world had ever considered an intervention for a loved one's two hundred dollar a day rug habit...
[/quote]

I only started playing again in February after 25 years away and now have boxes showing up at the house almost daily. I 'only' have 4 now, but have a custom built telecaster coming in July.....

To wrap it back around to golf....I feel pretty content with my golf clubs....I may add a hickory one here or there, but I am not actively shopping thrift stores anymore.

As to your rug concern , maybe you can sell or donate a few when he's out of the house....

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1433083606' post='11660398']
The real trick is to offload the ones you don't really want so 'not too much clutter' builds up.
[/quote]

I think that is the secret as much as anything. When any hobby gets carried away it can make for some tense moments.

I've been fairly consistent over the past few years in unloading surplus clubs. You can only play one set at a time and once you have two sets plus a few rotational clubs, the rest can become clutter pretty quickly.

I've always admired folks that had nice collections of things that were tastefully displayed, but I was equally happy that I didn't own the collection. I've been through this now on several occasions with elderly relatives, most often upon death, where there was huge amounts of stuff to deal with. Both my wife and I agree that we want to do our best not to saddle our kids with the same sorts of messes. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from living life light. It's not about being cheap to the point of sacrificing desires; it's about being able to determine what's important and what is not. Lots of things are nice, but once the novelty wears off you discover that it's just taking up space.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I don't hide anything but I am discreet. Open any package and put everything away before she gets home from work. Just to avoid the false impression on her part that there's some kind of obsession.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

The worst thing I've discovered is using golf bags as storage for clubs. If anything, it makes the "collection" look worse than it is. I've just spent the afternoon fixing up storage hooks in the shed and probably stashed about 100 clubs out of the spare room, where they made it impossible to move. In the shed, they're fairly neat on the wall - it's not a display by any stretch, but nobody's going to fall over them and nothing's going to get damaged. They're no even taking up obtrusive space in the shed now. And once they're out of the house, I feel no compunction to consider disposing of any of them!

I'm going to dump a few bags though. No great affection for them. Strangely enough, I can apply the "you can only carry one at a time" logic to bags, but not sets...

If you can get them delivered when the wife is out, then that helps ... Trust me if you already have 500 clubs in a room then the untrained eye doesn't notice another 200, especially if they are all in golf bags. Saved myself at least 6 pairs of shoes that way :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Nope. Learned my lesson last year when I on-lined a set of irons. Took a couple of weeks before she realized that there were new clubs in my bag. She was p***ed that I didn't tell her. Now I just announce that I'm shopping for, just bought "x" club and she's cool with it. As she said....." Just don't be sneaky about it".

Furthermore, she has her own accumulation issues that can be referenced if needed.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fairy easily because I sell used clubs and do club work (regreip, reshaft, custom building) out of our enclosed "Florida Room."
There are always 8 or more sets of golf clubs back there as well as a crap load of individual woods, irons, wedges, and putters so if I want to keep something for the moment that I'm not playing I just don't offer it for sale. :taunt:
I do however only keep two sets out that I play, one vintage and one modern. I will try out something from the stash and if I love it I will replace one of the two sets and sell the one I'm replacing.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

[quote name='TimV' timestamp='1433968905' post='11727594']
Fairy easily because I sell used clubs and do club work (regreip, reshaft, custom building) out of our enclosed "Florida Room."
There are always 8 or more sets of golf clubs back there as well as a crap load of individual woods, irons, wedges, and putters so if I want to keep something for the moment that I'm not playing I just don't offer it for sale. :taunt:
I do however only keep two sets out that I play, one vintage and one modern. I will try out something from the stash and if I love it I will replace one of the two sets and sell the one I'm replacing.
[/quote]You do sort of like I do. I keep some stuff in the spare bedroom in the house and in that closet. Then there is the shop out back. Now it is small only 12x16. When that gets too crowded I load up the truck and go across the street to a rented storage unit which is 25x25. I have had that unit about 10 years now when my partner in the golf business and I rented it for the overflow. He passed away a few years back and I kept the unit but my wife helps me pay the $50 per month because she has some of her stuff in it too. I did sell and give away some stuff and cut back on my hoeing which is hard. I am having withdrawals because I have not been to Goodwill in a month now. She does not really even pay my stuff any attention

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 1 month later...

#1, Do not keep everything in one area. Spread it out, looks like less.

#2, when kept together and questions are asked...I rarely spend more than $30-$40 at a time, usually around $20 per set of (vintage) irons.

#3, new sticks are brought in under cover of darkness.

Wife is equally upset about the 6 or 7 saxophones I have in the basement. Her logic is valid, I can only play one (sax, irons) at a time.

[quote name='johnnydman' timestamp='1437161291' post='11968026']
#1, Do not keep everything in one area. Spread it out, looks like less.

#2, when kept together and questions are asked...I rarely spend more than $30-$40 at a time, usually around $20 per set of (vintage) irons.

#3, new sticks are brought in under cover of darkness.

Wife is equally upset about the 6 or 7 saxophones I have in the basement. Her logic is valid, I can only play one (sax, irons) at a time.
[/quote]

And she only has 2 feet, so why does she have 50 pairs of shoes, 75 bathing suits, 30 pairs of under garments and 3 full size closets full of clothes? Because she's a woman and needs all that...right!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS