2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rangefinder with slope - easy to make tournament legal

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this a while back, slope is a gimmick, because it all depends on your trajectory.

First image is a 0 elevation change. Let's say two players, one who hits a 9 iron into this green, and the other a 6 iron. Both fly the ball the same distance

Second image is is elevated green. Guy that hits the 6 iron will land well short of the guy with the 9 iron, because he's coming in flatter.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2892128]

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1441333729' post='12260856']I posted this a while back, slope is a gimmick, because it all depends on your trajectory.

First image is a 0 elevation change. Let's say two players, one who hits a 9 iron into this green, and the other a 6 iron. Both fly the ball the same distance

Second image is is elevated green. Guy that hits the 6 iron will land well short of the guy with the 9 iron, because he's coming in flatter.[/quote]
Larry, still not sure why you say the slope feature is a gimmick. Both golfers in your example would need more club (and 6 iron would roll out more in 2nd example than first). I get it that an extra 10 yards is going to mean different things for different golfers (i.e. - not simply one more club like with no elevation change), but doesn't it still help?

Note: I have not used a rangefinder w/slope. I know it's important to factor in when shooting arrows, but the the angles are much greater and there's much less trajectory to account for.

[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1441968870' post='12298216']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1441333729' post='12260856']I posted this a while back, slope is a gimmick, because it all depends on your trajectory.

Second image is is elevated green. Guy that hits the 6 iron will land well short of the guy with the 9 iron, because he's coming in flatter.[/quote]
Larry, still not sure why you say the slope feature is a gimmick. Both golfers in your example would need more club [size=5][b](and 6 iron would roll out more in 2nd example than first). [/b][/size]
[/quote]

If the 6 iron was descending at the exact same angle when it hits the green (and I don't know it that's true or not, but if it IS) why would it roll out farther than in the 1st example ?

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

It won't be descending at the same angle. There is a ratio (that is constantly changing) during the flight of a golf ball of forward movement to horizontal movement. The longer a ball stays in the air the more the ratio tilts towards horizontal movement (drop).

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

[quote name='RighttoLeft' timestamp='1442119656' post='12306520']
It won't be descending at the same angle. There is a ratio (that is constantly changing) during the flight of a golf ball of forward movement to horizontal movement. The longer a ball stays in the air the more the ratio tilts towards horizontal movement (drop).
[/quote]
[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1442151450' post='12307196']
Righttoleft nailed it. Said another way, the closer to the apex, the flatter the trajectory.
[/quote]

Fair enough. And I would agree.

But since the green is *usually* not [u]that[/u] much higher than the level of the fairway I'm not sure how much less of an angle the 6 iron would be when it hits the green,,,,,,,,,,

[quote name='swingslower' timestamp='1440480852' post='12203682']
Why would you not want one with slope? Playing different courses then the slope will be of good assistance? :-)
[/quote]

You read the posts about those rounds not counting for HC purposes, right ? Although in Sweden I'm not sure if that matters.

And a device that IS ABLE TO measure slope may not be allowed in a tournament even with faceplates (or whatever) that change the attributes from "slope" to "non-slope".

However,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may be wrong but I thought I read something not too long ago that IF the characteristics were changed e.g. by a "faceplate" of a different color (or something just as obvious ?) and the device was clearly set to "non-slope" that it would then be allowed ?!?!?!?!?! (<--- I may be totally wrong about this)

Somebody else know for sure ?

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1442160552' post='12307594']
Why would you not want one with slope? Playing different courses then the slope will be of good assistance? :-)
[/quote]

You read the posts about those rounds not counting for HC purposes, right ? Although in Sweden I'm not sure if that matters.

And a device that IS ABLE TO measure slope may not be allowed in a tournament even with faceplates (or whatever) that change the attributes from "slope" to "non-slope".

However,,,,,,,,,,,,, I may be wrong but I thought I read something not too long ago that IF the characteristics were changed e.g. by a "faceplate" of a different color (or something just as obvious ?) and the device was clearly set to "non-slope" that it would then be allowed ?!?!?!?!?! (<--- I may be totally wrong about this)

[/quote]
This is not just a face plate in a different colour, I am not sure exactly what they are doing it but when the non-conforming face plate is used the device cannot measure the slope (it is disabled by software I would guess) so it is legal!
They wouldn't go through this whole process if the non-slope version wouldn't be legal in tournament play (local rule admitting of course).

[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1442159797' post='12307562']
[/quote]
Righttoleft nailed it. Said another way, the closer to the apex, the flatter the trajectory.
[/quote]

But since the green is *usually* not [u]that[/u] much higher than the level of the fairway I'm not sure how much less of an angle the 6 iron would be when it hits the green,,,,,,,,,,
[/quote]

If it's not THAT much higher or lower, what's the point in slope then in the first place?

The difference in carry distance in my two examples is significant, and the same yardage with slope the range finder gives you doesn't really give you the effective playing yardage because of your trajectory. Put a front pin in my example, and the 6 iron player might end up in a front bunker, while the 9 iron player gets on the front edge of the green. Same yardage reported to both players, but the elevation affects one player more than another.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1442944571' post='12350990']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

If it's not THAT much higher or lower, what's the point in slope then in the first place?

The difference in carry distance in my two examples is significant, and the same yardage with slope the range finder gives you doesn't really give you the effective playing yardage because of your trajectory. Put a front pin in my example, and the 6 iron player might end up in a front bunker, while the 9 iron player gets on the front edge of the green. Same yardage reported to both players, but the elevation affects one player more than another.
[/quote]
But, using two different players is not the ideal example - how does it affect each player separately? Both would take more club.
Perhaps I'm confused as to what slope actually does. If a 150 yard shot (measured as if pin and ball were at the same elevation) was to a green 13 yards (40 ft) above the ball, line of sight would be 155 yards. Does the slope feature add to that? How much?

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Leupold 4xi. I recently played a new course that had an elevated tee box. According to my GPS watch and score card, 166 yards. According to my slope range finder, 143 yds. It played 143 yds. This is why I like a slope range finder. This was a two club difference.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

[quote name='ParHunter' timestamp='1442584220' post='12330500']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1442160552' post='12307594']
[/quote]

[/quote]
This is not just a face plate in a different colour, I am not sure exactly what they are doing it but when the non-conforming face plate is used the device cannot measure the slope (it is disabled by software I would guess) so it is legal!
They wouldn't go through this whole process if the non-slope version wouldn't be legal in tournament play (local rule admitting of course).
[/quote]

This is correct.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1441333729' post='12260856']
I posted this a while back, slope is a gimmick, because it all depends on your trajectory.

Second image is is elevated green. Guy that hits the 6 iron will land well short of the guy with the 9 iron, because he's coming in flatter.
[/quote]

And to try and shed a different light (without involving geometry) on whether slope is a "gimmick" or not. If you are hitting a shot to an elevated green it only depends what club YOU are hitting. An elevated green will mean you will need more club to LAND the ball the same yardage as you would normally if the green were not elevated. That's all you really need to know.
As a long time tour caddie i will tell you that slope is not a gimmick and the use of a rangefinder to calculate it during practice rounds is vital. If you were to show up at a tour event without slope on your rangefinder you may be looking for a new job shortly. Professional golfers rely solely on the information from such rangefinders.

All that being said, for the OP, the Bushnell Tour X is excellent in my opinion.

[quote name='CrabDaddy' timestamp='1442948574' post='12351372']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1442944571' post='12350990']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
But, using two different players is not the ideal example - how does it affect each player separately? Both would take more club.
Perhaps I'm confused as to what slope actually does. If a 150 yard shot (measured as if pin and ball were at the same elevation) was to a green 13 yards (40 ft) above the ball, line of sight would be 155 yards. Does the slope feature add to that? How much?
[/quote]

In addition to my previous post, to answer your question, i can confidently say that if your shot is 150 yards and there is 13 yards of elevation, a professional golfer would be playing the shot 163 yards, before taking wind and other factors into account. No need to over think it.

Hope that helps

A tourney I'm playing in specifically prohibits devices that have the ability to measure anything besides distance.

Prohibited even if the other measurements are not used or disabled. Things like slope (duh) but also wind speed, humidity, weather forecasts, and anything but distance.

Kind of strict.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

[quote name='swingslower' timestamp='1443860143' post='12404282']Anymore recommendations on good ones that has slope function but which I can remove when I play tournaments? =)[/quote]
Go with the Leopold gx 4i2. I've got one and you can't find a better range finder right now. Leopold has awesome customer service as well, they will take care of you if something breaks. It has interchangeable faceplates, yellow for slope and chrome for tournament play (which is legal under USGA rules so no worries). I use the slope feature for practice rounds to learn elevation changes for new courses, it's been a huge help. It's fairly expensive like all rangefinders but it's the best you can get IMO, I'll never go back to Bushnell.

• 4 weeks later...

You can't go wrong with either one. I have used both and find the bushnell easier to use overall.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1440369842' post='12195372']
... bear in mind that [b]you cannot use slope on rounds that you're posting[/b], tourney or not.
[/quote]

This makes absolutely no sense, though you're right that the Rules dictate it. Posting scores from rounds played with such a device works, if anything, to the disadvantage of the player. A player wishing to artificially inflate his handicap can claim to his committee that a low round "isn't legal" on the basis of using a slope-enabled rangefinder, thereby gaining competitive advantage on fellow members.

IMO, if someone is using a slope device for a round, that person should be obligated to report the score.

I've been using my rangefinder with slope to practice what "10 yards downhill" or "10 yards uphill" actually looks like.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='GWD' timestamp='1443965457' post='12408240']
A tourney I'm playing in specifically prohibits devices that have the ability to measure anything besides distance.

Prohibited even if the other measurements are not used or disabled. Things like slope (duh) but also wind speed, humidity, weather forecasts, and anything but distance.

Kind of strict.
[/quote]

When you replace the faceplate on a device like the Tour X it no longer has the ability to measure slope making it legal under the rules of golf. Note that is treated differently than a device where the player simply turns off the slope feature - those are not legal for tournament play. It is why the slope faceplate is red and the non-slope is black so that it is obvious which is in use.

I believe the other devices you mention such as wind speed and humidity are already illegal and I am not sure about weather forecasts - I have seen many players use a cell phone to check radar on the course.

[quote name='MaxBuck' timestamp='1446059719' post='12519496']
[quote name='highergr0und' timestamp='1440369842' post='12195372']
... bear in mind that [b]you cannot use slope on rounds that you're posting[/b], tourney or not.
[/quote]

This makes absolutely no sense, though you're right that the Rules dictate it. Posting scores from rounds played with such a device works, if anything, to the disadvantage of the player. A player wishing to artificially inflate his handicap can claim to his committee that a low round "isn't legal" on the basis of using a slope-enabled rangefinder, thereby gaining competitive advantage on fellow members.

IMO, if someone is using a slope device for a round, that person should be obligated to report the score.
[/quote]

Rather than try and distinguish between the rules that provide advantage and those that provide disadvantage, players are simply expected to post rounds that are played under all the rules.

Ive got a bushnell w/ slope. Im not sure what model though, lol. v3 maybe? I really like it. Havent the foggiest if its a gimmick or not, but if the thing tells me the distance is 155 and w/ slope its 164 Im taking an extra club. Conversely, if the flag is lasered at 135 and slope tells me its 126 Im taking 1 less. So, for me, it works, gimmick or not.

Darkspeed LS 10.5 -  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5