2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tips on Building Clubhead speed?

300_Straight

Just wondering if you guys have any tips on generating more clubhead speed? I bought these WAG (Weighted Agility Gloves) from Draztek and am going to start using them to improve wrist strength. They feel awkward, but could theoretically help with swing speed. I'm generally around the 108-115mph area with the driver (according to Golfsmith) with a smash factor averaging around 1.45, but would ultimately like to improve to 125-130mph. Real world numbers I usually drive around ~300 give or take with the occasional 265 mishit. I'm pretty flexible and am continuing to stretch, which is a great thing to have because I'm not a big guy (5'9 160). I was wondering if you guys had any more tips for generating clubhead speed. Thanks!

Try Karate, Grasshopper.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me I prefer longer stretches without much resistence, rest between is important ,,at my age I need a day-off after SS training ,,When I give up Long Drive which my be soon I don't see myself ever doing SS training again,,I see no benefit it ,in t regards of the time ,effort and potential for injury with the few extra yards you get out of it, basic fitness training will keep you body in tune for golf,,

• 3 weeks later...

Physical strength in arms and shoulders means very little to club head speed. Face it, a driver weighs about 280-320 grams, or ounces and not pounds, You will not build club head speed by adding mass to your arms/shoulders. You want to decrease your body's moment of inertia, to minimize the effort to put it in motion. Concentrate on strengthening your core, and reducing your body mass as much as possible for extremities away from your core. Strengthen your foundation (legs) to handle the faster rotation. Lowering your body mass will increase your rotational speed by lowering the effort required to do so. It will also increase flexibility which is very important.

Keep your forearm strength up for hitting through rough. Other than that, don't spend hours building muscles.

Have you seen Joe Miller ?.......Guy is a beast!.....LOL..........You are right though!!.....

The faster the swing the greater the forces acting on different parts of the body. Have any studies been performed in which measurements were been done on these forces at different stages of the swing, e.g. downswing (acceleration), through the ball, follow through (slowing down)? and for different types of swing, e.g. long driver, tour pro?

For me I prefer longer stretches without much resistence, rest between is important ,,at my age I need a day-off after SS training ,,When I give up Long Drive which my be soon I don't see myself ever doing SS training again,,I see no benefit it ,in t regards of the time ,effort and potential for injury with the few extra yards you get out of it, basic fitness training will keep you body in tune for golf,,

There are so many SS training exercises to choose from. Which ones in particular do you not intend to do again? Are there any SS exercises that you might continue because of the "low potential" for injury?

Flat out swinging as hard as can go, is something I don't recommand,,with heavy and light weighted club ,,,now I do 3 sets of 6 from both sides baseball standing ,baseball kneeing, golf swing full 100% ,,,,This is strickly to learn the body to go fast beyond what it already knows, As per exercises ,balance type exercises are good, many types to look up. Medacine ball throws are good , I like them because your body feels the weight through the whole series of stretch and release it doesn't get away from the movement that my cause the snap jerk that cause some serious stress,,,and also when were talking real swing speed training ,, what is your target CHS ?

Flat out swinging as hard as can go, is something I don't recommand,,with heavy and light weighted club ,,,now I do 3 sets of 6 from both sides baseball standing ,baseball kneeing, golf swing full 100% ,,,,This is strickly to learn the body to go fast beyond what it already knows, As per exercises ,balance type exercises are good, many types to look up. Medacine ball throws are good , I like them because your body feels the weight through the whole series of stretch and release it doesn't get away from the movement that my cause the snap jerk that cause some serious stress,,,and also when were talking real swing speed training ,, what is your target CHS ?

My target CHS is relatively low, initially 110mph. I am 65, suffering from old sports injuries to hip and left arm/shoulder. My left side is slowing things down. I have this month started with isometric exercises once a week, and daily swinging a shaft left, right and both hands to get used to speed, and a relaxed and loose bucket of balls a day. I am easing into the training, not in a hurry, and when in doubt doing a little less rather than a little more.

true 110 CHS is still fast ,,don't believe all the claims of high 120 CHS ,,its easy done with those little speed radars but when your on the tee,over the ball,,,that 120 is more like 110,,,,One thing I see a lot esapcially for us older gents is starting the downswing with quick arms and hands and then no body rotation around the spine, and then you see a quick stoppage on the follow through,,,,,at the top of backswing before you pull the trigger start you weight transfer first and then the arms,,this will promote follow through and generate more CHS

• 2 weeks later...

true 110 CHS is still fast ,,don't believe all the claims of high 120 CHS ,,its easy done with those little speed radars but when your on the tee,over the ball,,,that 120 is more like 110,,,,One thing I see a lot esapcially for us older gents is starting the downswing with quick arms and hands and then no body rotation around the spine, and then you see a quick stoppage on the follow through,,,,,at the top of backswing before you pull the trigger start you weight transfer first and then the arms,,this will promote follow through and generate more CHS

You scored a 10 on that one!............110 is fine..........

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i am new here , but i thought i would chime in on a couple suggestions. I am baseball player by nature but I currently hold a CSCS designation and I have trained professional hockey players and baseball players for four years. Over speed training can be effective as it elicits a response through your neuro-muscular system involving greater fibre recruitment during the exercise. We use over speed cables to make athletes run faster then they actually can to help increase sprinting speed, so same principle. The swing is such a all out explosive movement, so performing exercises utilizing a slow eccentric phase with and explosive concentric phase will greater activate your SSC and fast twitch muscle fibers. Med ball tosses in all planes are very effective ( vertical, horizontal from each side) as well as med ball slams as they are all explosive movements. Box push-ups, box jumps, single and double leg standing long jumps are all options as well. An isometric hold does not utilize the SSC so in the case of your golf swing would it increase club head speed probably not but its good to have all around conditioning of your body.

To add to the above, I've been doing heavy wood choppers using the cable machine for a few months now and I've seen a fairly noticeable change in my distance on drives. Now, is that because I am swinging faster? Who knows, maybe contact/form is just getting better from lessons.

I also do planks and side planks which are overall good for the core, but after explosive movements.

• 1 month later...

Everyone is going to laugh at this but, I have been hauling hay, tossing square bails from the ground into the trailer. If you really look at the biomechanics behind the motion and all the muscle groups involved, its one of the best ways to build power into a golf swing. The rotation of the hips and the upward arc and push off with the lower body are ideal for a powerful swing.

• 4 weeks later...

Track man is like 10mph slower than gc2 keep that in mind. On track man I'm 105 on gc2 and those little swingspeed radar blue and white deals I'm 113-118. Big difference

GC2 doesn't measure CHS - only ball speed - unless it has the added HMT Unit with face stickers, in which case, it's probably more accurate than Trackman. Swing Speed Radar is not accurate at all.

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if you guys have any tips on generating more clubhead speed? I bought these WAG (Weighted Agility Gloves) from Draztek and am going to start using them to improve wrist strength. They feel awkward, but could theoretically help with swing speed. I'm generally around the 108-115mph area with the driver (according to Golfsmith) with a smash factor averaging around 1.45, but would ultimately like to improve to 125-130mph. Real world numbers I usually drive around ~300 give or take with the occasional 265 mishit. I'm pretty flexible and am continuing to stretch, which is a great thing to have because I'm not a big guy (5'9 160). I was wondering if you guys had any more tips for generating clubhead speed. Thanks!

I think clubhead speed has lots to do with natural ability. I have been playing for over 50 years. I was at my best in the 90's. I was a gym rat and a forestry worker. 5' 10" 210 lbs and I got up to 114 tops. I think the average tour speed is 115-120 , 95-105 on the LPGA. One tip I can give you is work on flexibility. I am 68 years old now 140 lbs and can carry my driver up to 250 in good weather, if I jump out of my shoes 265, which might not seem like much , but I am an old guy. I stand in a mirror every day with a sawed off shaft and practice turning as far as I can without loosening my grip or letting my right knee break down, which really loads up my right leg and lower back muscles. It's like shooting a bow and arrow. Pull the string back further, let go of the string and the arrow goes farther.

• 4 weeks later...

Best way I increase my swing speed is to take two irons together swing as hard as I can 10 times then take one club and flip it grip side down and swing it as fast as I can 10 times. My swing speed is around 117 and ball speed at 170

Overspeed is probably better than heavy club swinging. Yes it is good to perform some contrast training, but if we are talking about improvement of raw clubhead speed then swinging a shaft without a head at max speed in sets of say 5x5 with a good recovery in between sets is a great exercise. Increase fast twitch potential and should help build a better release into your swing if you aim to make the most noise at or just after where impact would be

Outside of actual swinging, I have found squat jumps, single leg jumps, and medicine ball throws to be best for building 'golf speed'

• 2 weeks later...

Power cleans, deadlift, lots of dynamic core work... modifications are essential with these. Single leg RDLs and Bulgarians are a great way to build strength and fire your stabilizers. I second the previous calls for med ball work, but that should only happen after you have a solid base. just my two pennies.

Titleist TSi3 8.25* / Ventus Black 6TX

Titleist 915 FD 17.5* / Tensei CK Pro White 80TX

Titleist T100 3i-P / Tour Issue X7

Vokey Raw SM9 50F, 56F, 60M / Tour Issue X7

Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Proto

Titleist Pro - V1x

Power cleans, deadlift, lots of dynamic core work... modifications are essential with these. Single leg RDLs and Bulgarians are a great way to build strength and fire your stabilizers. I second the previous calls for med ball work, but that should only happen after you have a solid base. just my two pennies.

Medicine balls are good for all ages and abilities.. In Track & Field I've seen kids as young as 8 years old use light ones, they will help in building the base you talk about