2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Last rounds with my parents

I have thought about the last rounds I played with my folks. My dad wasn't really interested in golf, I think he played to keep mom happy or quiet about it? I was around 5 when they started playing. This was in Wilmington,DE. The company my dad worked for had a Country Club. Mom played quit a bit and they would occasionally play together on the weekends. My folks split up abound 77 or so and my dad moved back to Seattle his home town. I moved out to Seattle in 11/78. For some reason in the spring of 1980 I was getting the golf bug again since I hadn't played since leaving the East coast. I talked dad into going out. He took me to Foster golf links in Tukwilla,Wa. It was nice to get out and play with dad. I didn't know it was the last round we would play together,at the time it was just a quick 9 holes. I still go to Foster several times a year and think of dad when playing. Dad passed away in 84 from cancer.

In 86 my mom moved from DE. to Chicago, her home town. She ended up getting an apartment 2 blocks from Wrigley field. She was a big motor sports fan. She would get tickets for the Indy 500 every year and I would fly in and she and I would drive down to Indy for the race. Around 91 or so I would take a couple extra days and get an extra day with mom and actually got her back out on the course for a round. We played at Sydney R. Marovitz Golf Course that is due east from Wrigley on Lake Michigan. She had a bad knee and couldn't do much walking. She had fun and complained she needed new grips. That was in 92 or so. we made our pilgrimage to Indy from 86- 93. I think she went to the 500 in 94. I made one trip that year for the first Brickyard 400. As it was with dad it wasn't special at the time with mom, just fun to get her out and play. She was more of an influence with me and golf. She passed away in 2011.

I still here her in my head every round " Don't even think of looking at that putt until your ball mark is fixed!"

Just some memories I thought I would share and encourage others with similar ones to share if so inclined.

Jimmy Bucher

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for sharing!

My parents didn't play so I have no such memories to call upon. While I'm not that old yet, mortality does slip into my thoughts from time-to-time as friends and family members are lost.

[indent=1][i]I used to think that it would be liberating to know when I was going to die. Turns out it's not![/i][/indent]

A health scare earlier in the year brought that possibility into focus and makes me reflect upon the rare rounds of golf I get to play with my sons. You never know and these things can visit you in unexpected ways.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thank you for sharing. I still have both of my folks. Mom doesn't play golf. Dad dabbles once or twice a year. However, I always enjoy our time on the course. It's great that you have such fond memories associated with golf.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Nice post. My parents are long deceased, but I wish I had played more with my Dad. I'm playing today with my son and so, my Dad will be on my mind after reading this.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Great post jb. I remember caddying for my dad as a kid and it was just the greatest. I used to play with my buddies using his Hogan's and try to imitate his swing. As I got older we had so many great times on the course with me and my brothers, some incredible matches that we still talk about to this day. He's 87 and after 2 strokes can't really play but he still likes to come with me to the course and hit some putts and have a beer, it's father son time I always look forward to and I'll never forget. He used to have a book he would write notes in after his rounds, practice sessions and lessons, I would love to find it. He was and will always be my hero.

Cobra F9
Cobra SZ 14.5*
Ping G400 19*
Mizuno MP 53 KBS Tour 4-PW
Ping Glide 2.0 50*
Cleveland RTX 3 54* 58*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

• 3 weeks later...

I can remember the last round with the old man. He had long since retired and moved to Eastern North Carolina. Now he had not played in about 10 years. Step Mom called me and said he wanted to play but did not want to ask me. Historically we never got along on the course always argued especially in a money match with his money. She stated you know you do not know how long he will be with us he was 83 at the time. So I agreed. We set a date. Now remember I was on my game at the time playing the minis and working at a course and of course playing money matches. She called a couple of weeks prior to confirm I would be there because I lived 200 miles away. She said he has been hitting balls since in the field beside the house and paying one of your cousin's kids to pick the balls up.
So I came down to play--- She called me off to the side and told me 'to take it easy on him and don't beat him too bad he still has his pride you know" Got to looking at his stuff and he historically kept clubs he had played a while in bad condition. Yep true to tradition the grips were rotted and he did not have any good balls. I went to town to a big box store and got him some grips and the stuff to put them on with and a dozen new titleist balls.
We went to a course that a friend of his also a old retired pro ran. Nothing exotic or fancy just an country working mans muni type course. I played from the tips and he from the reds. We did not argue on bit. Now I did take it easy on him like I promised did not beat him too bad. Not a cross word all day. When we started to his home he chewed me out mad as hell. "What are you doing letting up on me for?" I said I did not play my best. He did not buy it he knew I was dogging it on him. He informed me then and there that we had a rematch the next day and I better not dog it on him. Went home and chewed Step Moms butt out for putting me up to dogging it. Went out the next day and uncorked it on him shot a 65 on this simple course and beat the crap out of him. Put a smile on his face. He had wanted to get me mad all along and have me uncork on him and he said so. Got to his house that night and asked if he wanted his clubs in his car or the house. He said neither keep them in your car besides you have wanted those irons all your life and this is the last round of golf I will ever play. He died the following May and this was in October.
Epiptath; I used his bag for years which was his last staff bag a Red Ram Staff bag. And you guessed it the CF-4000s in my classic set was the set. I restored his driver and do not hit it but I do hit the irons. His last putter was an old Ottey mallet head and I have it still. He did not carry his wedges the last day he told me he did not need them anyhow that he had given them to a friend of his when he retired. I do know the original CF wedge with that set was long gone because he had hung on to it through several other sets and it was worn slap out. I do know when he retired he was playing those CFs and had an Hogan Equalizer and another long played wedge of his a cheap Kroyden "Big Daddy" thick soled sand wedge that as I recall was slap worn out. Later on after he passed I found a stash of stuff in his closet including the Mac mini staff I use now with the vintage set. I told step Mom I guess he held out on me until the last on clubs. She said contrary to what I thought he had forgotten that stuff was in the closet. I also found a Zebra putter he used briefly when he was with Ram and yes I still have it. The mini staff Mac she told me he had sold to a customer in the 80s and one of the zippers was messed up and he had simply exchanged it for the guy and evidently he forgot to call the Mac rep and get it a replacement warranty on it. I can remember when I pulled it out of the closet in the box she somehow remembered the story on it. funny it still had the warranty papers in it to return to the company. And yes to this day it still has a messed up zipper.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Thanks for sharing STU!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I, too, have wonderfully fond memories of playing with both my mother and my father. My father had played since he was a kid and was quick to take me along from about the age of 11. I was away most of my adult life so we didn't play together frequently. Our last round was a warm Saturday afternoon just a week before he expired. I remember every shot . . . it was only 15 years ago. :)

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

[quote name='jbucher' timestamp='1444575601' post='12441654']
I have thought about the last rounds I played with my folks. My dad wasn't really interested in golf, I think he played to keep mom happy or quiet about it? I was around 5 when they started playing. This was in Wilmington,DE. The company my dad worked for had a Country Club. Mom played quit a bit and they would occasionally play together on the weekends. My folks split up abound 77 or so and my dad moved back to Seattle his home town. I moved out to Seattle in 11/78. For some reason in the spring of 1980 I was getting the golf bug again since I hadn't played since leaving the East coast. I talked dad into going out. He took me to Foster golf links in Tukwilla,Wa. It was nice to get out and play with dad. I didn't know it was the last round we would play together,at the time it was just a quick 9 holes. I still go to Foster several times a year and think of dad when playing. Dad passed away in 84 from cancer.
In 86 my mom moved from DE. to Chicago, her home town. She ended up getting an apartment 2 blocks from Wrigley field. She was a big motor sports fan. She would get tickets for the Indy 500 every year and I would fly in and she and I would drive down to Indy for the race. Around 91 or so I would take a couple extra days and get an extra day with mom and actually got her back out on the course for a round. We played at Sydney R. Marovitz Golf Course that is due east from Wrigley on Lake Michigan. She had a bad knee and couldn't do much walking. She had fun and complained she needed new grips. That was in 92 or so. we made our pilgrimage to Indy from 86- 93. I think she went to the 500 in 94. I made one trip that year for the first Brickyard 400. As it was with dad it wasn't special at the time with mom, just fun to get her out and play. She was more of an influence with me and golf. She passed away in 2011.
I still here her in my head every round " Don't even think of looking at that putt until your ball mark is fixed!"
Just some memories I thought I would share and encourage others with similar ones to share if so inclined.
Jimmy Bucher
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing - Max

"One Day At a Time"