Longest Drive

ginger718

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So how does everyone measure exact yardages for 300+ yard drives?

GPS on cart/phone, Rangefinder, google earth after the round.

I'd lean toward Google Earth

Old school use the tee's you're playing from minus the yardage to the middle of the green. You get close enough for anyone who really cares.

Old school use the tee's you're playing from minus the yardage to the middle of the green. You get close enough for anyone who really cares.

Not even close in some instances, that's not any kind of reliable distance measuring method and I think the reason why so many are skeptical when they read some of the distances people claim.

Not even close in some instances, that's not any kind of reliable distance measuring method and I think the reason why so many are skeptical when they read some of the distances people claim.

I mean honestly man who cares. What is this some big **** measuring contest? This thread was supposed to be fun, I could careless about how down to the 10 yards people say they are. If they want to lie great from them, but golf is supposed to be a game of integrity. For me honestly I hit multiple drives over 300 yards in a round, and have hit countless over 330 before. It all comes down to the memorable ones at the end of the day. Stop taking this is serious, and have fun golf is a game.

So those for those of you who are butt hurt, and think people are really exaggerating the distance that they hit their so called "Longest Drive" ever. I had never previously done this, but I went on google earth today to kill sometime, and measured the numbers that I posted in here. The one I said I hit 390 turned out to be 387, the one that I said was 370 turned out to be 373. The one I said was 340 that I almost had a hole in one with was 365. Going off of that I went to my home course and looked at some of the long drives that I have remembered hitting there, and for the most part they were all longer than I would have estimated them to be. So I guess I sold myself short, and am not as much of a slouch as I thought I was...

So those for those of you who are butt hurt, and think people are really exaggerating the distance that they hit their so called "Longest Drive" ever. I had never previously done this, but I went on google earth today to kill sometime, and measured the numbers that I posted in here. The one I said I hit 390 turned out to be 387, the one that I said was 370 turned out to be 373. The one I said was 340 that I almost had a hole in one with was 365. Going off of that I went to my home course and looked at some of the long drives that I have remembered hitting there, and for the most part they were all longer than I would have estimated them to be. So I guess I sold myself short, and am not as much of a slouch as I thought I was...

So.. Not sure this was directed at me or not, but you started the GD topic... If you didn't care why start it? And if you're going to measure something, why not get it right? Some holes you can hit a 250 tee shot, and a 300 tee shot and have the same distance left to center... Talk smack all you want, this post was you're idea.

Why do short hitters seem to get so mad when someone claims they hit 300+ drives? Whenever I play with randos I almost always get asked how far I hit it. Then when I answer honestly and say between 290 and 310. They scoff. I then proceed to drive it somewhere between there.

I think its ridiculous because the rest of my game needs so much work, there aren't even any women playing with us when this happens. Maybe then I would understand the need to hit it further than the young guy on the tee box with them. Honestly I don't see why its so hard to believe. I'm 6'1" 175 lbs in good shape and have very long arms. My wing span is closer to like 6'4" I think. Its easy for me to generate club head speed with stats like that. I've been measured on trackman and flightscope multiple times with a 113 mph swing speed and carry distance around the 290 mark.

As for my longest drive. 340 yards. It was a flat fairway no wind dog leg left par 5. It was the middle of summer and the ground was hard. Club was a Titliest 913 D2. Ball was a Taylormade Lethal. I hit a draw. Measured by knowing the tee box happened to be on next to the yardage marker. My ball was relatively close to a yardage marker on the course and we did the math. At the time our range finder could only hit less than 300 yards, and we couldn't hit the group behind us with it. Just for reference on the weaknesses of my game and why people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch, it was a par 5 and I hit 5 iron onto the green about 20 feet from the hole and then 3 putted for a par. :stink:

I don't think anybody really cares it's just "doing the math" is not even close to an accurate way to measure. If you want accuracy go to a Remax driving grid. I bet 95% of the 300 yard hitters on WRX might sniff 300 1 out 50 drives if that. I for one don't have an accurate clue how far I hit my driver I just at know I'm not hitting long irons or woods into par 4s and hit a good number of par 5s in 2.

Why do short hitters seem to get so mad when someone claims they hit 300+ drives? Whenever I play with randos I almost always get asked how far I hit it. Then when I answer honestly and say between 290 and 310. They scoff. I then proceed to drive it somewhere between there.

I think its ridiculous because the rest of my game needs so much work, there aren't even any women playing with us when this happens. Maybe then I would understand the need to hit it further than the young guy on the tee box with them. Honestly I don't see why its so hard to believe. I'm 6'1" 175 lbs in good shape and have very long arms. My wing span is closer to like 6'4" I think. Its easy for me to generate club head speed with stats like that. I've been measured on trackman and flightscope multiple times with a 113 mph swing speed and carry distance around the 290 mark.

As for my longest drive. 340 yards. It was a flat fairway no wind dog leg left par 5. It was the middle of summer and the ground was hard. Club was a Titliest 913 D2. Ball was a Taylormade Lethal. I hit a draw. Measured by knowing the tee box happened to be on next to the yardage marker. My ball was relatively close to a yardage marker on the course and we did the math. At the time our range finder could only hit less than 300 yards, and we couldn't hit the group behind us with it. Just for reference on the weaknesses of my game and why people shouldn't get their panties in a bunch, it was a par 5 and I hit 5 iron onto the green about 20 feet from the hole and then 3 putted for a par. :stink:

you and me both!

I don't think anybody really cares it's just "doing the math" is not even close to an accurate way to measure. If you want accuracy go to a Remax driving grid. I bet 95% of the 300 yard hitters on WRX might sniff 300 1 out 50 drives if that. I for one don't have an accurate clue how far I hit my driver I just at know I'm not hitting long irons or woods into par 4s and hit a good number of par 5s in 2.

that may be so, but GPS and Google Earth are pretty accurate. So are Trackman and GC2. I find my GC2 carry numbers and my observed carry on the course are essentially congruent. Mega big drives always involve some rollout, wind, etc, so obviously that is all over the map. For a not very good, but highish swing speed player like myself, there is also the 1 in 5 or 10 pure a the driven snow sweetspot contact that can make one or two drive a round go a chunk farther. Per GC2, i can vary 10mph+ of ball speed (and have variable launch conditions) on swings that look the same to the untrained eye and are within 1mph in measured speed. I'd think that the rare freaky long drive would be likely to be a phenomenon most often (albeit still occasionally) seen in players like Barnacle and myself.

However, if you'd like to put your money where your mouth is, I'd be very willing to bet a large sum that I can knock 2 or more out of 50 past 300 on a Remax grid in calm conditions at sea level.

How does track man know how far a ball rolled?

I have no idea if they claim to follow the ball on the ground with radar; that seems unlikely, but I suppose it's possible because it's moving and you'd get a doppler signature. I didn't think Trackman or GC2's accuracy, if used properly, for carry were in dispute. I was talking about carry with those two, as I thought was evident in my post.

However, if you'd like to put your money where your mouth is, I'd be very willing to bet a large sum that I can knock 2 or more out of 50 past 300 on a Remax grid in calm conditions at sea level.

I'll take that bet as well.

It was an honest question, I haven't been on a track man. I wasn't sure if it was all carry, if it calculated roll based on spin, trajectory, etc and applied some sort of standard turf condition.

I'm with butch Harmon on the launch monitor data - the eyes are better tools.

Radars calculate roll based on spin and launch conditions. The carry distance will be pretty much dead on accurate, roll is estimated though.

I don't now the exact yardages of these 2 shots but they were LONGGGGGGG.

The first hole at my course is a reachable par 5, and a good drive will put you about 220 out, a GREAT drive about 195.. and I'm one of the longer hitters at the course.

I really lean into one after warming up on the range and it was a low shot compared to most of my drives so I thought I was screwed. The ball just never came down and I was 130 in. How did I gain 65 yards with pretty much 0 wind? I'll never know.

Identical situation happened to me 18 holes later on our par 4 18th. It was a par 5 converted to a par 4 where the longest shot I had hit was to 150 in. Little tailwind, and I have this beautiful fluent swing that day and I lean into it and again it was lower than usual but it was CRUISING... i was 80 yards in.

I broke physics that day.

[u][b]Golf Ball Whacker Guy[/b][/u]
Titleist 913D2 10*
Titleist 913F 15*
Titleist 913H 21*
MacGregor Jack Nicklaus Muirfield Original 3-9
Vokey SM5 48* 52* 56*
Never Compromise Dinero Exec

• 1 month later...

This one wasn't in the fairway, we have this course that bounds a freeway near where i live, and it basically doglegs at the freeway with a huge 100ft net to stop balls going onto the freeway.. The dog leg is about 250 yards and i thought I will aim for the net and my fade will bring it back down the fairway, if it goes straight the net will save me.... oops. I hit a massive high draw. It cleared the net on the full and bounced across 8 lanes of freeway, when we drove home i saw my ball at rest on the side of the road about 1 mile up the road... so you could say about 1 mile...

hitting a fairway around 410 yards, reasonably strong tail wind, hard firm fairway on a 550 yard par 5, ball was at rest in the 140 yard marker in the sprinkler head. My normal drives are around 285-300 in calm flat conditions.

Driver: Callaway GBB Speeder Evo 2 665 X flex
Fairway: Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Irons: Apex Pro 3-PW
Wedges: Mack Daddy 2 50/54, TMag TP EF grind 60
Putter: Odyssey Protype #2 Black

I'm gonna preface this with the fact that I tried to compete in long drives a little bit a few years ago. We were playing a two man best ball. It was myself and a buddy that's on tour versus two scratch golfers. We get to a long dogleg left par four. Water down the whole left side of the fairway and large trees to the left of the hazard. The tour guy (my partner) ends up in the water so I pull my 3 iron to put one down the fairway. He said, "Don't be a p***y and take it over the trees with your driver." So I do just that and swing out of my shoes. I caught it and started over the trees with a baby draw. It had to carry about 375 on the line I was on and ended up 12' from the pin. On a line, it was probably about 420yds at sea level.

Edit: if anyone knows how to attach an image, I have a GoogleEarth image showing the shot, but I'm not exactly experienced on this forum.

Driver: Cobra F8+ 8*, Tensei Pro Blue, X-flex
1 iron: Mizuno MP-H5
3 Iron: Srixon U65
Irons: Cleveland 588cb 4-P, Preceision Rifle 6.5, 2*up
Wedges: RTX 3- 50*, 54* and 60*
Putter: EvnRoll 5, 35", 0*, 74*

Back in my younger days (early 30s) I hit a 301 metre driver measured on markers, flat hole now wind. Absolutely crushed it with my orginal gbb with a pro force 75 stiff. Flew about 280 metres then rolled out. Not sure what my ss was back then but on that shot I'm guessing well over 115. Back then a regular good dreams ve would have been around the 265-275 metre mark. Man I was a gorilla back in the day haha.