2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Longest Drive

ginger718

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1447459335' post='12596248']
Played a round in Bermuda when a hurricane was literally hours away. Only (stupid) person on the course. The good...I hit a drive well over 400 yards on a par 5 as it was straight downwind with 60+ MPH winds. The bad...on a 160 yard par 3 I hit driver...and didn't come remotely close to making the green. Straight into the teeth of the wind.
[/quote]

I LOVE Bermuda. What course?

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine was in a scramble this summer. Course was so unreal dried out that I didnt even want to play their for fear of damaging my clubs because it felt like you were swinging on concrete. I seriously cant describe enough how dry and hard it was. I was bouncing a golf ball on the fairway as I was waiting to hit, and it would bounce up waist high. On the long drive hole I swung as hard as I possible could and connected. The hole was 377. I found my ball like 10 yards over the back of the green. I didnt have any way to measure it, but I assume it was something near 400. Not realistic at all because of the course conditions, but it was sure cool, and their were a lot of laughs about it in the club house after!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1447380784' post='12592318']
Right at about 300 yrds down the muckin fiddle...... a bit of wind at my back, rock hard winter fairway. Remember now...I'm a little old lady! :taunt:
[/quote]

Old lady my a$$. I'll bet you were dancing down that fairway Kay. You would probably take my lunch money in a 3/3/3 nassau with junks. You shark...

- thug

This is the most WRXy thread on WRX! I love it!

I have no idea what my longest drive has been to be honest. My driver SS is around 102mph according to the GC2 at my local golf shop. A few months ago I was playing a course that had the GPS carts that told you exactly how far it was from your tee shot to where your ball came to rest, and there were a few holes that I just hit the ball as good as I ever hope to hit it. A few of those drives went 280yds (283 was the longest) and I'll take that all day every day. I only play the 6500yd tees at my home course anyway.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1447380784' post='12592318']
Right at about 300 yrds down the muckin fiddle...... a bit of wind at my back, rock hard winter fairway. Remember now...I'm a little old lady! :taunt:
[/quote]Oh Dear Lord, you just ruined my weekend, lol

My longest measured was 296yds, flat FW no wind, straight away.

Playing out west(AZ & NV) in June-August, I know quite a few though I don't count that because the fairways are like runways, and my mid-launch draw runs forever, lol, as would most of yours, so that doesn't count.

However I do believe that I had some in my younger persimmon days based on yardage left to the pin.

My longest measured in '12, was 284yds, ironically on a LD hole in a club event which won me the Cobra Long Tom driver(48" shaft, 440cc head, which is beautiful, but ooooh that shaft, lmao) pictured below. It was funny cuz my Bro(a long Baller who's longest measure is 394 straight away, no wind) and three other Guys were past me but in the first and second cuts. Only FW shots counted.

My ave for measured drives in '12 was 269 and I feel that I had quit a few longer than that 284 shot but no 300 drives.

I wish, lol.

However, it's like I said to my first round opponent in the 2012 14 club, 92 man Inter-Club Match Play Championship(which I won) when he asked me how far I hit the ball-

"Far enough"

Stay Well Kay and I wish You, Your Hubby and your Pooch a Blessed Holiday Season :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have no idea what my longest drive is, and in most cases I don't think people measure their drives properly. Just the other day I teed off on a 315 yard par 4 with my 19 degree hybrid. The hole is down hill dogleg right. The tee shot is over a pond with wetlands down the right side all the way to the green. The play is to the middle of the fairway to leave a simple wedge in.

I have no idea how the measure the hole, but last time I played the hole, I started it over the tree line down the right side and drew it bag landing just short of the green. Two thoughts:

- Most people get close to the green and round up. They would look at my shot and say that I hit over over 300 yards with a hybrid. The reality is that "just short" was still 15 yards short of the green. Add in the distance to the middle of the green and I was probably 30 yards from the hole.

- The second thing is that most people don't take into account how far their ball actually flies. I went online and measured my drive using google earth. Based on the line I took, the distance was around 225 yards.

My drive close to the front of the green on a par 4 with a hybrid went from being close to 315 yards, to almost 300 yards to 275 yards and finally to around 225 yards without taking into account the downhill, wind and any measuring errors.

Hit one 301 two weeks ago at Trump......

Got to the ball had 302 to pin.....

*sad face

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

i posted full details in an earlier thread but it was a little over 400. 60kmh downwind. 600 yards plus and I got home with an 8 iron from 190ish

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Not a big hitter, but I've hit the occasional drive in excess of 300 yards. Back in high school I used to comfortably swing in the low 110's (now I top out around 105-108). Longest one I've ever hit (w/o cart path help) was 363 yards. 513 yard par 5 playing a little downwind in harder summer conditions. Absolutely nutted it right down the left center of the fairway. As soon as I hit it I turned to my playing partners and said "Wow! That was LOOOOONNNNNGGGG!" They didn't fully grasp what I meant until they saw the ball laying adjacent to the 150 sprinkler head.

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1449243908' post='12679802']
I have no idea what my longest drive is, and in most cases I don't think people measure their drives properly. Just the other day I teed off on a 315 yard par 4 with my 19 degree hybrid. The hole is down hill dogleg right. The tee shot is over a pond with wetlands down the right side all the way to the green. The play is to the middle of the fairway to leave a simple wedge in.

I have no idea how the measure the hole, but last time I played the hole, I started it over the tree line down the right side and drew it bag landing just short of the green. Two thoughts:

- Most people get close to the green and round up. They would look at my shot and say that I hit over over 300 yards with a hybrid. The reality is that "just short" was still 15 yards short of the green. Add in the distance to the middle of the green and I was probably 30 yards from the hole.

- The second thing is that most people don't take into account how far their ball actually flies. I went online and measured my drive using google earth. Based on the line I took, the distance was around 225 yards.

My drive close to the front of the green on a par 4 with a hybrid went from being close to 315 yards, to almost 300 yards to 275 yards and finally to around 225 yards without taking into account the downhill, wind and any measuring errors.
[/quote]

Any distance not measured by a GPS should just be ignored. When most people track their shots using GPS for a couple of rounds, they are shocked at how short they are. This normally comes up when there is like a 230 forced carry and none of the 300+ hitters come close .

[quote name='JustTheTips' timestamp='1449260281' post='12681000']

[/quote]

Any distance not measured by a GPS should just be ignored. When most people track their shots using GPS for a couple of rounds, they are shocked at how short they are. This normally comes up when there is like a 230 forced carry and none of the 300+ hitters come close .
[/quote]

Haha. This is so true. I was paired with a couple of older guys recently and the one guy asks me if I mind playing the blue tees since his buddy is a big hitter who "drives it 300 yards." I said "Sure. I don't hit it quite that long, but I'll play them." Buddy gets to the first tee and hits a nice tee shot, probably about 255-260. I get up and hit it by him by about 20 yards. Then the next tee he hits another nice one and I really catch one with a nice draw and blow it way by him. Guy goes "Jesus. Must be nice to hit it 300 plus off every tee." Got to my ball and it was GPS measured at 282.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agree. Most folks have zero concept of how far 300 yards actually is. Just one example of many: I played with a guy who hit a pretty good drive. Middle of the fairway. As he's walking off he claims that it had to have gone at least 320. Cool. Fair enough. I've got my GPS to get his distance. He gets to his ball and is still claiming over 310. I bust out my dose of "B.S.-B-GONE" (upon request) and quietly inform him that it went about 253. I then congratulate him on hitting the fairway as I hadn't. This went on for a few holes until reality finally started setting in for this poor guy. You could hear the air quickly leaking out of his ego.

Also, lengths of the hole posted on signs and scorecards are rarely correct in my experience.

Mizuno STG 440 9.5*/ Cinnamon 75-X
Mizuno MP Metal Ti (JDM) 18*/ Blueboard ION 83x

MP 55 4-PW/MP 53 3i/Recoil 125 Prototype
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7 GRIPMASTER Roo Grips

Mizuno T11 50, 56,60/Recoil 125 Prototype
Mizuno T5 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny Cover
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+

[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1449263009' post='12681202']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Most folks have zero concept of how far 300 yards actually is.
[/quote]BINGO!!!

THIS is THE most accurate statement in this or any other driver/distance related thread, LMAO!!

I had a Gent join me one evening in '12 when I was out by myself hitting shots and jumping around the course. So he asks what tees I play as he rode up on my as I was walking onto the green.

I said "blacks," and he said, "me too. I'm a 16 handicap but my driving is the best part of my game. I ave a shade under 300," LMAO

I swear on Pete's grave, LMAO

So I said, "wow, that's great," ran a 6' putt, grabbed my ball and walked to the next tee, which was a par 3.

So, FF to the next hole, a vanilla 392yd straight away Par 4.

As I took the last hole with a 3 to his 5, I had honors, however I asked him if he'd like to hit off first.

He laughed and said, "sure, and I'll put a little pressure on ya."

So, he steps up, swings, and actually hit a decent ball that started right then curved back and ran for 10-15 yards, putting him about 240-245 out.

I stepped up, swung, and my ball too started off right of center then curved and fell slightly left of center fairway, about 260-265 out, leaving me about 125 to the pin(I didn't have a range finder)-

So he says, "Holy s***, that's 300+, easy," LMAO

I just said "nah, not even close," and walked to my cart.

So, we get to his ball and like I said, 240-245 tops, and he said, "Richard, that is every bit of 305-310 because I'm at 280-285," LMAO.

I said, "Bro I'm 260-265 out with about 125 left to the flag. I do not hit a 300yd ball."

So we played two more holes, same results, him swearing he was hitting it "280-290(it fell from "just under 300," LMAO)" and me at "300-320," LMAO

So we ride up to the club house and I see my Bro, Greg, on the practice tee, and as I said Greg not only is a Player(+2.8 and got his first Club this year) but he also competed in LD comps locally and qualified a few years for the regionals in the PINNACLE LD Comp.

So, I ask my man to take a walk with me down to the tee and we walk down to the far end where Greg was hitting short irons.

I pull his driver and walk over and he looks at me and I said, "please tee one up."

He sees the guy behind me and bends over, plants the tee, steps into address, throws a few wraggles in and BOOM, LMAO

It sounds like a gun shot and the ball takes off and then hit that "rise" that you long ballers know what I'm talkin about, and it sailed over the tree line, 310 yards away, and yea, it's measured and Greg and three other Guys are not supposed to hit more than 10 drivers, LMAO, cuz the trees and woods are thick, clearing the trees by probably 20 yards when it fell.

I turned around and said "THAT is 300+ yards," and again, on Pete's grave, the guy just looks at me and says "Holy S***!!," LMAO

So yea Bro, the vast vast majority have ZERO concept how far 300 yards is, lol.

Nice Post :)

Have a great weekend!

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1449265636' post='12681394']
[quote name='driverwedge' timestamp='1449263009' post='12681202']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Most folks have zero concept of how far 300 yards actually is.
[/quote]BINGO!!!

THIS is THE most accurate statement in this or any other driver/distance related thread, LMAO!!

I had a Gent join me one evening in '12 when I was out by myself hitting shots and jumping around the course. So he asks what tees I play as he rode up on my as I was walking onto the green.

I said "blacks," and he said, "me too. I'm a 16 handicap but my driving is the best part of my game. I ave a shade under 300," LMAO

I swear on Pete's grave, LMAO

So I said, "wow, that's great," ran a 6' putt, grabbed my ball and walked to the next tee, which was a par 3.

So, FF to the next hole, a vanilla 392yd straight away Par 4.

As I took the last hole with a 3 to his 5, I had honors, however I asked him if he'd like to hit off first.

He laughed and said, "sure, and I'll put a little pressure on ya."

So, he steps up, swings, and actually hit a decent ball that started right then curved back and ran for 10-15 yards, putting him about 240-245 out.

I stepped up, swung, and my ball too statred off right of center then curved and fell slightly left of center fairway, about 260-265 out, leaving me about 125 to the pin(I didn't have a range finder)-

So he says, "Holy s***, that's 300+, easy," LMAO

I just said "nah, not even close," and walked to my cart.

So, we get to his ball and like I said, 240-245 tops, and he said, "Richard, that is every bit of 305-310 because I'm at 280-285," LMAO.

I said, "Bro I'm 260-265 out with about 125 left to the flag. I do not hit a 300yd ball."

So we played two more holes, same results, him swearing he was hitting it "280-290(it fell from "just under 300," LMAO)" and me at "300-320," LMAO

So we ride up to the club house and I see my Bro, Greg, on the practice tee, and as I said Greg not only is a Player(+2.8 and got his first Club this year) but he also competed in LD comps locally and qualified a few years for the regionals in the PINNACLE LD Comp.

So, I ask my man to take a walk with me down to the tee and we walk down to the far end where Greg was hitting short irons.

I pull his driver and walk over and he looks at me and I said, "please tee one up."

He sees the guy behind me and bends over, plants the tee, steps into address, throws a few wraggles in and BOOM, LMAO

It sounds like a gun shot and the ball takes off and then hit that "rise" that you long ballers know what I'm talkin about, and it sailed over the tree line, 310 yards away, and yea, it's measured and Greg and three other Guys are not supposed to hit more than 10 drivers, LMAO, cuz the trees and woods are thick, clearing the trees by probably 20 yards when it fell.

I turned around and said "THAT is 300+ yards," and again, on Pete's grave, the guy just looks at me and says "Holy S***!!," LMAO

So yea Bro, the vast vast majority have ZERO concept how far 300 yards is, lol.

Nice Post :)

Have a great weekend!

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Im not huge at all.........

But i used to do many playing lessons where the pupil; in previous weeks would tell me they hit it 285, 300, 275 etc

Almost all said absolutely nothing after i knocked it 50 yards past them every hole on the course. (And in the UK, on average with our weather i probably average 260 if im lucky).

They clearly realised i wasnt "Bubba Watson" and their stories of 300 yards etc were just that:..........stories !

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

302 slightly downhill with a good bounce. Both Garmin and Game golf recorded the same figure. It was a good strike and a good portion of luck at the same time. A more realistic distance is 250 for me.

Callaway Mavrik 9*, Kuro Kage Black 60gr Stiff..
Callaway Rogue 3 wood.
Titleist U510 3 iron.
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 5 - PW.
Vokey SM7, 50F, 54S, 58D.
Scotty Cameron Futura X5.

Mine was at the Raven in Phoenix 14-15 yrs ago. Ninth hole is like 525 or so...hit a solid drive but pulled it left into desert I thought. Hit a provisional and went searching...couldn't find it so went and played provisional. As I came to provisional ball that was short of the gree, there was another ball in the center of the fairway literally sitting on a plate that said "55yds" .... Yes my original drive....480 yds. WTF? Anyway pretty clear it had hit the path a few times as it was scuffed up...and I couldn't play it my buddy reminded me as we had a little game going. At the tenth tee, the group ahead of us told us they "heard" it hit what sounded like a rock and then saw it bounding down the cart path past them and rolling into the fairway. Anyway, "longest" drive ever and I had to pick it up

353 measured by gps. It was like 30 mph tail wind, the fairway was concrete, and it was also down sloped. It was a par five and I had an 8 iron in from 180, again 30 mph tail wind. I managed to hit the 8 past the green, chipped on, and made the putt for birdie.

Titleist 910 D3 Aldila Rogue Silver 60x
Titleist 915f Aldila Rogue Black 80x
Titleist 712u 2 iron
Titleist AP2 712 DGS300
Ping Karsten TR Anser 5
Vokey SM5 52 56 60

in my 20s and 30s there was a fairly flat 310-yd par 4 on my home course which i could consistently reach around the green or on or even go over on occasiona---with the persimmon heads and steel shafts available at the time...

..am 70 now and my good drives occasionally go a little over 200 yards!!

and that's why i stick to courses 6000 yds or less!!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

The honesty in this thread is refreshing. As far as my normal playing group goes I'm one of the longer drivers. And that's around 280. A good friend who weighs 80 pounds less drives it further, regularly. Have I hit 300+, sure, down wind, down hill. And there are only a handful per year.

When you step back and realize, that today's golfers are TRAINED athletes hitting it around 300, how in the world could most of the WRX'ers on here claim they do the same?

[quote name='mike_dmt' timestamp='1449878437' post='12709400']The honesty in this thread is refreshing. As far as my normal playing group goes I'm one of the longer drivers. And that's around 280. A good friend who weighs 80 pounds less drives it further, regularly. Have I hit 300+, sure, down wind, down hill. And there are only a handful per year.

When you step back and realize, that today's golfers are TRAINED athletes hitting it around 300, how in the world could most of the WRX'ers on here claim they do the same?[/quote]

Because you don't have to be a trained athlete do do so (trust me).