2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Degenerate Golf Gamblers Anonymous

Gamble Gamble

Not a good tourney so far for me. I have several lineups out there in different contests but mostly the $4 and I didn't get a single 6/6 thanks to Molinari and Hideki.

On a bittersweet note I had a few lineups in the .25c contest and wouldn't you know it boom my best lineup. Sitting at 381 points @19th place winning a whooping 12$ lol if the same lineup were in the 4$ contest I'd be sitting $200 and a few off the big money.

Lots of golf left I suppose

Probably a bad idea knowing how I can get with gambling, not so much in the throwing gobs of money away, but spending hours upon hours of research... I just signed up for a Bovada account to put bets in on golf.

With doing hardly any research, and going from the hip just for fun to test the waters, I put a few bucks in each of the following:

To Win:

Mickelson - +1200

Campbell - +7500

Weekley - +8000

Jones - +8000

Villegas - +12500

Top 10:

Petterson - +2000

Looks pretty atrocious for most weeks, but it's such a weak field that I figure one of the lower odds players will probably end up with the win.

I like the feel of this event -- from a gambling perspective -- much better than the Memorial; anyone here using GolfStrat to compare players? it seems easy on DK this week to put stars in play, so I'm leaning toward a low-owned balanced lineup and will avoid DJ, Philly Mick and the top end...looking at last couple of years results, we have Gomez, Owen, Jones, Koepka, Mickelson, Noh, M Thompson last year and the previous year Crane, Merritt, Every, Petterson, Simpson, Hahn, Harman ... doesn't seem like it's necessarily the "bombers" track that many are playing it up to be

What's sticking in my head is someone will have a 5 footer miss and have 15 coming back so off the top of your heads who are some passive putters?

I recall from the masters Charlie Hoffman said he learned from Phil that his secret is don't be scared to make it as Charlie left a lot short so will Charley be aggressive or passive?

I think the key this week is conservative players so by first glance mid priced guys I like bill haas and for some reason I like Marc leishman he has been showing up at majors lately.

Also using the strokes gained statistic Jamie Donaldson could be a steal.

What's sticking in my head is someone will have a 5 footer miss and have 15 coming back so off the top of your heads who are some passive putters?

I recall from the masters Charlie Hoffman said he learned from Phil that his secret is don't be scared to make it as Charlie left a lot short so will Charley be aggressive or passive?

I think the key this week is conservative players so by first glance mid priced guys I like bill haas and for some reason I like Marc leishman he has been showing up at majors lately.

Also using the strokes gained statistic Jamie Donaldson could be a steal.

depends a little on your strategy and type of contest...Kuchar is probably going to be the highest owned player in many DK games, so if you're trying to climb up in a tourney format, you might wanna roll the dice and avoid him, but if you're in a cash game, you'd probably want him...from a strict golf performance standpoint, of the 3, i'd go with Kuch and then Reed; Kuch also has a much higher birdie % rate than Grace, and birdies this week will be in short supply

Goosen has been selected as a "sleeper" by almost every pundit out there this week, and at his low salary he will be heavily owned, especially in stars and scrubs lineups...i'm going to avoid him in all my lineups for those reasons as well as the fact that in 2007 he shot 76-77 here for MC

If you're looking for a similar sleeper you could give Glover a shot. He keeps it in the fairway and has past success at the US Open. I don't think alot of people will be on him.

it is really easy to build lineups this week, and there are some odd low salaries (like charl at 7500 and kuch at 8400)...golfstrat has kuch as #4 on their power rankings, but DK has him way down their salary list; i'm thinking with low 60 and ties for the cut (vs low 70 on regular tour event) and with birdies being so scarce, you'll have to get 6 guys through the cut to have any chance to cash cause you'll need the placement bonus points...I think in 07 there were only EIGHT rounds under par on this course, which is just insane compared to a normal tour event; bubba finished T5 and never broke par in a round!

Chalk be damned, I'm in heavy in on Kuch, Grace, Horschel and Goosen. I play cash mostly, so ownership isn't that important.

Also playing Kuch in one and done. He keeps popping in all the right stat categories.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I have kuch in 50% of my lineups...the guy I took a heavy stand on is Koepka...seems like he knows how to play US Open setups, his form is hot and his price is silly cheap

Good call. I'm all over him in my work pool because I don't think alot of those guys don't even know who he is.

from what I've been reading, bogey avoidance was the stat with the closest correlation to success the last time the U.S. Open was held at Oakmont. Here are the top players for 2016 in bogey avoidance:

Wilkinson, Mickelson and Kuchar were 10-12 btw.

Does this make Rickie a good contrarian play in GPP's?

I might put together a lineup based on this for fun and see what happens.

Seems that the key to the Milli maker is getting a guy or two that isn't chalk to place well. I think there will be a lot of "popular" American golfers on majority of lineups leaving out some good international players that people who do their homework will roster. But it's hard to roster someone you have never really watched play........

from what I've been reading, bogey avoidance was the stat with the closest correlation to success the last time the U.S. Open was held at Oakmont. Here are the top players for 2016 in bogey avoidance:

those guys are getting murdered right now.

the most important factor is mental fortitude

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

those guys are getting murdered right now.

the most important factor is mental fortitude

Too bad there isn't a stat for that :)