2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Scrounging Grips

tlhorsh

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've been reading about our scrounging tendencies, have any of you guys bought up thrift store clubs for the grips. And if so how do you generally remove them.

BUSTED! Yep you caught me. I do it all the time and I also buy thrift store clubs for shafts too especially the UST Pro Force Gold 65s which they do not make any more. Generally I try first to get them off with air. If that does not work I have a tool I made where I run solvent through the collar and push the tool around until it gets loose then I throw the air to it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

They would have to be pretty nice grips for me to want to put in that kind of effort. I suppose if I needed to fill in a set... Shafts, on the other hand, I scrounge all the time.

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

As I've been reading about our scrounging tendencies, have any of you guys bought up thrift store clubs for the grips. And if so how do you generally remove them.

BUSTED! Yep you caught me. I do it all the time and I also buy thrift store clubs for shafts too especially the UST Pro Force Gold 65s which they do not make any more. Generally I try first to get them off with air. If that does not work I have a tool I made where I run solvent through the collar and push the tool around until it gets loose then I throw the air to it.

Stu...do you blow air into hole at end of the grip. Tried that a couple times and grip didn't even budge

Of course, we're scroungers. If they're in good shape, why not. Same goes for shafts. Picked-ed up a fairway clone wood with a like new TTDG Sensicore R300 shaft and Lamkin grip for $2 recently. For inventory purposes. Only need to find 8 more of those wonderful GP "Crown" Classic cord grips for a set. And GP Tour Velvets are tricky, have a tendency to tear when removing.

For grip removal, get one of these. Grips go on and off all the time "fiddling" with golf clubs. Easy, peasy on everything but Winns. But who wants to salvage those anyways.

http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_VGGR

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella - is that tool genuinely easy on removing old grips? I have tried to bodge up something similar with a long barbeque skewer to separate the grip from the shaft and squirting lots of solvent. It's doable, but in my experience it's such a PITA I would only do it now to salvage a particular grip to match the rest of a set.

Foolishly, I fitted a nice new set of hogan cord grips to a set of irons that I don't actually like so much and have hardly used. I'd like to remove them for a more favoured set - but cannot face the removal job.Those were probably the last grips I fitted using double sided tape. All grips now fitted in my shed now go on with single sided masking tape and air - a little harder to fit, but much, much easier to remove.

B-S, old(er) grips can be a PITA using anything. Hardened tape, grips. But I'm not really looking to salvage/remove those anyways. But I find the tool quite adequate for removing grips that are of a more recent install. Never have used air. The compressor I have is a beast, stays in the garage. The Mrs. will not let me bring it into the basement where my bench is. Since I've always used double sided tape an solvent, continue to do so out of habit. Lip it under the end of the grip, a liberal dose of solvent, slid it down and around, and the grip slides off. Thinking maybe using a specific tool would make the job easier than a "bodgered" one. Needs to be flat, thin in depth, with a bit of spring tension in the length for working around the grip. Would think that those BH grips could be removed without major difficulty if they have not been on the clubs for a long period of time. Removed some BH grips (not cords) from my Apexs last year just because I wanted to save them for posterity. Not a big deal.

As mentioned above, some grips are easier to remove than others. Favored grips tend to be Lamkins in general (especially the all rubber Perma Wraps for classic clubs). They seem to be especially easy to remove. A little stretch to the grip without tearing. Like we all do, an evaluation of the grip condition needs to be performed. Is it worth salvaging? With classic clubs, generally the answer is no. Since I'm reconditioning, adding extensions, etc. may as well install fresh grips. Especially on players.

Fella - is that tool genuinely easy on removing old grips? I have tried to bodge up something similar with a long barbeque skewer to separate the grip from the shaft and squirting lots of solvent. It's doable, but in my experience it's such a PITA I would only do it now to salvage a particular grip to match the rest of a set.

Foolishly, I fitted a nice new set of hogan cord grips to a set of irons that I don't actually like so much and have hardly used. I'd like to remove them for a more favoured set - but cannot face the removal job.Those were probably the last grips I fitted using double sided tape. All grips now fitted in my shed now go on with single sided masking tape and air - a little harder to fit, but much, much easier to remove.

It's not that hard to remove solvent affixed grips with air, though sometimes stubborn ones don't cooperate. The key is to use something that keeps the grips from ballooning with the air pressure. I use a 12" length of 1 1/4" pvc plumbing pipe, shaft clamp and bench vise. Slide the pipe over the grip leaving the top inch or so exposed. Using about 60 psi or so and a trigger type regulator(some suggest at this point a small squirt of grip solvent in the vent hole at this point) hold the pipe in the last 3 fingers of the free hand and work the end of the grip with the thumb and index finger- the grip will inflate inside the pipe and let go with a loud pop. Maintain a bit of air pressure and pull/twist and off it should come.

Caveat- grips must be better quality in good condition. Sometimes, despite the precautions, bubbles will appear or bits of tape will remain in the grips, especially if they've been on a long time. You'll know after the first grip if air will work or not- if so, it's generally a quick, mess free, and easy way to pull grips.

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"

LOL big time with that one JG. Just this morning, while looking for something (it's here somewhere). What is all this golf crap that occupies the workbench? Where did it all come from? Clubs laying around everywhere, always in the way or falling over. Had a "domino effect" collapse of four bags of clubs that were standing nearby as I was rummaging for what I was looking for. Really need to have a purging. I'm serious!!

If I were to restore some vintage clubs to play with, I wouldn't waste my time with older vintage, or used grips.

I loved some of the leather, and rubber grips from the old days, but the grips out there today are just incredible.

Guys who prefer the basic "Tour Wraps" are lucky. Give em a wash every now and then, and you can play them for years.

I've never had problems removing grips with this. You have to be patient though so not to rip them. A lot of solvent. Just use a catch bowl and you can reuse the solvent

These tools are good and very simple to use , i have just removed 3 grips that i have saved in the last hour . It really has saved me some money in the short time i have owned it i think i paid £30 for mine.

Only need to find 8 more of those wonderful GP "Crown" Classic cord grips for a set. And GP Tour Velvets are tricky, have a tendency to tear when removing.

Let me check my garage. I used to have an entire case of what I believe is that grip you speak of. They have been indoors all their lives, but that only means that they were not sunburnt. The ones I have, IIRC, will need collars at the bottoms, as they are not finished on that end.

LaMont in AZ

Stu...do you blow air into hole at end of the grip. Tried that a couple times and grip didn't even budge

If the grip has been put on "wet" in other words with 2 way tape and solvent air will not release it. If that is the case you have to shoot it with solvent or use a slide tool and solvent to get it off

I've never had problems removing grips with this. You have to be patient though so not to rip them. A lot of solvent. Just use a catch bowl and you can reuse the solvent

That is what I use when the air will not work but I made my own with a piece of steel wire a little stronger than a wire coat hanger and I flattened the end to help keep me from punching a hole in the grip

When I remove grips I do as stu does basically. I take the small tube on wd40 and stick it down the grip hole and give about 2 seconds worth of spray. Then I use an air nozzle chuck like you would use to inflate a beach ball or pool floaty etc etc. I set my compressor regulator to about 60 psi max and just hold the trigger and twist at the butt end until I feel it start to give a little. Then I place an 1-1/4" chrome tail piece extension over the grip. Fill her up with air and it'll force the wd40 around and pop the grip off pretty easily. I used to do all this without the tail piece but had more than a few grips explode on my. I've used this trick on Winn grips as well and I can save just about any grip now. However, I have found that if the grip is not pliable anymore or the rubber is hard and cracked, she ain't coming off in one piece. To combat this I've had pretty good luck soaking the grip in a bucket of soapy water for a few hours then letting it sun dry, repeating until the grip starts to feel pliable again. Doesn't always work and won't guarantee if you need to save seven grips that you'll get all seven off though.

I have used the coat hangar method as well but with my impatience I gave up after a few struggles lol

I'm a cheap scavenger. I, like STU, also look for those UST Pro Force shafts, but I'll look for good grips too. I use the same methods everyone else has said and to me it isn't a waste of time anyways. I'm just sitting over a work bench watching college football instead of on the couch watching college football.

Lamkin is always running specials on grips. I would check out their website because I picked up a set of grips for only $29 bucks, and it was much easier than saving my golf pride multicompounds.

WITB:
Driver: Srixon 745 9.5* Diamana Ion Blue X
4 Wood: Taylormade Aeroburner 16.5* White Tie X
5 Wood: Nike SQ 2 Tour (w/Project X 6.0)
Utility: Srixon 745U 23* Project X 6.0
Irons: 5 - PW Srixon 745 Project X 6.0
Wedges: Cleveland 588 (50*,54*,58*)
Putter: Odyssey Versa Works 33"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks to everyone who recommended the blade style grip remover. I got the Golfworks version and it works a treat. I had been wary, as I have tried in the past to improvise something along the same principle using a flat metal barbecue skewer, which did not work especially well.

Armed with the proper tool for the job, in what seemed like no time at all I removed 9 pristine hogan full cord grips. Next rainy day, I also have a pristine set of Lamkins to free up.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever had a problem re-using salvaged grips? I've got one of the blade grip removal tools, and it works great - but I've tried regripping a club twice with one of my salvaged grips and both times it's stayed a bit loose at the butt end. Any thoughts or ideas?

Couple of possibilities come to mind: a), the grips you removed were a bit tired and had lost some elasticity. b) Your salvaged grips had a larger core size than the new shafts. c) Could be a combination of a and b.

All I can think of. You could always try again and build up the butt section with some masking tape the second time around.

Good luck

Callaway Razr Fit 11.5*   Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 65R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider copper cobalt 35"

Has anyone ever had a problem re-using salvaged grips? I've got one of the blade grip removal tools, and it works great - but I've tried regripping a club twice with one of my salvaged grips and both times it's stayed a bit loose at the butt end. Any thoughts or ideas?

Couple of possibilities come to mind: a), the grips you removed were a bit tired and had lost some elasticity. b) Your salvaged grips had a larger core size than the new shafts. c) Could be a combination of a and b.

All I can think of. You could always try again and build up the butt section with some masking tape the second time around.

Good luck

Thanks! Grips are pretty new GP Tour Wraps that have only been on the clubs that I originally fitted them for about 18 months, so shouldn't be a problem there I guess.

As for (b), I fitted new GP TWs to the other clubs in the set and they fitted fine - though the club I am having the problem with has lost the shaft band so I guess it's possible the shaft might be different to the rest of the set.

And yes, building up the butt end a little bit was the next thing I was going to try :-)

I did wonder if I had made the butt end of the salvaged grip a bit slack in taking it off, but as I say, the grip is pretty new. Ah well. Now, where's that masking tape...

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck

Thanks! Grips are pretty new GP Tour Wraps that have only been on the clubs that I originally fitted them for about 18 months, so shouldn't be a problem there I guess.

As for (b), I fitted new GP TWs to the other clubs in the set and they fitted fine - though the club I am having the problem with has lost the shaft band so I guess it's possible the shaft might be different to the rest of the set.

And yes, building up the butt end a little bit was the next thing I was going to try :-)

I did wonder if I had made the butt end of the salvaged grip a bit slack in taking it off, but as I say, the grip is pretty new. Ah well. Now, where's that masking tape...

On GP TWs my experience has been if it has had too much air shot to it in the past it will stretch some. I never use over 35 PSI but as others have said if it is hogged out some you can use a little extra tape under the butt end. As much as I experiment with wedges I have sever of those grips that have been on and off many times in the past with no problems