2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

competing with vintage gear

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say I can be timid playing the hogans though, but that's because they're blades. I'm not one that should be playing blades lol.

A couple of considerations to ponder as you move forward. One may get along better with one set of classic irons than with another. Wilsons are a brand that I can't seem to hit very well (rather sharp leading edge?). Moved on from those. Be sure to take care of the fitting requirements, make sure they're reasonably setup for you. For me, that's shaft extensions. Most classic clubs are significantly to short. Install grips that are of your preference. Lie adjustments if needed. Take care of some of the basics. Maybe a shaft change at some future point, on clubs that you feel have real potential.

I too was "timid" when beginning to venture down the classic blade path (not very long ago). Didn't want to "appear the fool" if I was to have a bad playing round while using them. "Look at that yo-yo trying to play blades!" sort of thing. Initially, only used them while playing solo. That way no one would see my ineptitude. With some practice and familiarity, discovered that I could actually hit them decently. Gradually began using them in public as the confidence grew, playing decently with them. Relatively speaking, as I'm just an average capability golfer. Certainly no worse than with the modern CB set. Also, I primarily use the 6i up as the lower irons can still be a handful and not ready for prime time. Don't know if they will ever be. No matter, I have other clubs that are used for the 160+ yard distances.

Had to work at removing the doubt inherent with the "am I good enough to play blades?" thinking. Once you hit a few pured shots with a nice set of classic blades, the sensation of the "feel" with correct execution, one begins to remove the self doubt implicit in the endeavor. Yes, I CAN do this. I have it within my capabilities to have the correct swing, the correct ball contact, to make the correct shot. All that is left is to execute. Nothing like a little behavioral positive reinforcement conditioning. And decent swing mechanics. Just happen to think that one needs to remove the "Am I good enough?" thinking. A self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing.

Then there are those days when, for a variety of reasons (excuses), blades can be a handful. I just revert back to playing the boring CB's. But sorta use to playing with a variety of different clubs, don't get to set in my ways with just one flavor of clubs. Never changing it up. Maybe not most golfers preferred methodology. But we all have multiple sets of this and that, that we enjoy playing. Have to remain flexible. Lastly, you're playing Hogans. As a very novice aficionado, tell myself that I will play these with some degree of aplomb. They're Hogan's damn it, they deserve to played as well as possible. And there is something intrinsically satisfying with the idea that on any given day, you're likely the only one on the course playing with a set of Hogan (or insert clubs of choice) classic blades.

Figure if I can do it, anyone with a little practice can. My long winded .02 on the subject. Good luck. Keep us updated.

P.S. You're in SC. At least you have the opportunity to go out and play mediocre golf with blades. I can't. No complaining allowed.

< "Wadda 'ya mean these clubs aren't conforming? Bugger off and mind your own business." >

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Alan, sounds like "winter as usual" in Chi-town. I would be overcome with cabin fever by now. A beautiful city with so much to offer just too darn "wintery" for me.

Had lots of time before we teed off yesterday, tee times pushed back again after arriving at the course, to mosey around and peek in most of the other participants bags.

Zero blades, zero "woods"

This was 80 guys of "most of our" generation, that you know cut their golfing teeth on blades and wood. And some really solid sticks among them. I am beginning to wonder if we are that much in the minority with the reverence we pay to the purity and nostalgia for the game.

I did see what I believe to have been a set of eye2's, but I couldn't get close enough to make a positive ID.

COLD WEATHER GOLF #####!!!

Wirh respect to the intention of the thread, no one questioned the conforming nature of my clubs.

I will say I can be timid playing the hogans though, but that's because they're blades. I'm not one that should be playing blades lol.

A couple of considerations to ponder as you move forward. One may get along better with one set of classic irons than with another. Wilsons are a brand that I can't seem to hit very well (rather sharp leading edge?). Moved on from those. Be sure to take care of the fitting requirements, make sure they're reasonably setup for you. For me, that's shaft extensions. Most classic clubs are significantly to short. Install grips that are of your preference. Lie adjustments if needed. Take care of some of the basics. Maybe a shaft change at some future point, on clubs that you feel have real potential.

I too was "timid" when beginning to venture down the classic blade path (not very long ago). Didn't want to "appear the fool" if I was to have a bad playing round while using them. "Look at that yo-yo trying to play blades!" sort of thing. Initially, only used them while playing solo. That way no one would see my ineptitude. With some practice and familiarity, discovered that I could actually hit them decently. Gradually began using them in public as the confidence grew, playing decently with them. Relatively speaking, as I'm just an average capability golfer. Certainly no worse than with the modern CB set. Also, I primarily use the 6i up as the lower irons can still be a handful and not ready for prime time. Don't know if they will ever be. No matter, I have other clubs that are used for the 160+ yard distances.

Had to work at removing the doubt inherent with the "am I good enough to play blades?" thinking. Once you hit a few pured shots with a nice set of classic blades, the sensation of the "feel" with correct execution, one begins to remove the self doubt implicit in the endeavor. Yes, I CAN do this. I have it within my capabilities to have the correct swing, the correct ball contact, to make the correct shot. All that is left is to execute. Nothing like a little behavioral positive reinforcement conditioning. And decent swing mechanics. Just happen to think that one needs to remove the "Am I good enough?" thinking. A self-fulfilling prophecy sort of thing.

Then there are those days when, for a variety of reasons (excuses), blades can be a handful. I just revert back to playing the boring CB's. But sorta use to playing with a variety of different clubs, don't get to set in my ways with just one flavor of clubs. Never changing it up. Maybe not most golfers preferred methodology. But we all have multiple sets of this and that, that we enjoy playing. Have to remain flexible. Lastly, you're playing Hogans. As a very novice aficionado, tell myself that I will play these with some degree of aplomb. They're Hogan's damn it, they deserve to played as well as possible. And there is something intrinsically satisfying with the idea that on any given day, you're likely the only one on the course playing with a set of Hogan classic blades.

Figure if I can do it, anyone with a little practice can. My long winded .02 on the subject. Good luck. Keep us updated.

P.S. You're in SC. At least you have the opportunity to go out and play mediocre golf with blades. I can't. No complaining allowed.

< "Wadda 'ya mean these clubs aren't conforming? Bugger off and mind your own business." >

Ha, thanks for your 2 cents. All points well considered!

[OT]After watching a couple of hours of the Pro-Am from Pebble Beach last night I have come to the conclusion that it is far more important how you swing than what you play. Perhaps it's all the years of watching professional swings on TV, particularly the modern cookie cutter variety that created such a contrast to many of the amateurs. I recall thinking to myself as one noted celebrity swung away that I wouldn't be caught dead with that contorted move on camera! And his handicap is what? If they said 30 I would have believed them more! The poor fellow in question must be great around the greens and with the flat stick.

(I can only imagine how horrible my swing looks even though it feels like a fluid motion. :huh: )

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The word that comes to mind is VANITY.

I suppose you're right, Randy. "Look at me! I get to hobb knob and rub elbows with the rich, famous and powerful while you sit at home in the depth of winter wishing you were here..."

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Thanks Randy. A BZ from you is like getting 10 "likes". LOL. Good luck for day two of your Senior shootout.

Weather? Sh***y! 10* with periodic snow squalls. Playing at golf seems a long way off for the moment.

Sco, watched a little of the golf last evening. This one fellow (noted ESPN anchor) had a pitiful swing. Clubs that were to short requiring him to bend over excessively, a swing that he repeatedly bailed out with. Announcers mentioned that he was a 15 hdcp. (IIRC). No way in h*** was that a 15 capper swing. Could go to the local public, pick 10 fellows at random, and 9 would have a more functional swing.

But.....far be it from me to be overly critical. He's playing golf on TV, where its warm, at Pebble, and I'm not. There's a reason why I don't like watching myself on video. In my mind, have a swing like Freddie Couples. Ignorance is bliss.

We are talking about the same guy, Doug. It looked as though his clubs were 3" too short and 3° too flat!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Ok I did some research on another thread with another guy from SC who is playing some CGA events. the reason some of our older irons are not on the conforming list is because they have never been submitted for testing. If they have not been tested and approved then they are not on the conforming list. In other words they are not approved. . Most of the clubs we play if checked would conform unless they were certain Pings. Now I was told that an individual could send their clubs to be checked to the USGA for free you just have to pay the postage up there and back.

I for one scrapped plans to play CGA events and getting my Amateur status back. I decided to draw my line in the sand so to speak. I am like Fella on that aspect in that I will play what I damn well want to! If someone does not want to play with me because of my clubs fine go on down the road and pound sand. that is one of the reasons I have in my signature Outlaw Golf Association and will not be renewing my USGA membership after 20+ years. As far as the bunch I play with no one gives two hoots what someone plays.

To add to the can of worms I found out like if say a set was approved by model say if you have a current 1015 set that if an individual set is checked some clubs within that set may not be legal. to get a perspective on this check out Bladehunter's thread in WITB. It can get complicated and yes we have the almighty USGA to blame

Sorry got off on a rage but to answer the original question I played Mini tour events up until 2010 with the same set of VIPs I have in my bag now. I also played Persimmon until around 01 or 02 on the minis. I think I was the last persimmon man standing.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Ok I did some research on another thread with another guy from SC who is playing some CGA events. the reason some of our older irons are not on the conforming list is because they have never been submitted for testing. If they have not been tested and approved then they are not on the conforming list. In other words they are not approved. . Most of the clubs we play if checked would conform unless they were certain Pings. Now I was told that an individual could send their clubs to be checked to the USGA for free you just have to pay the postage up there and back.

I for one scrapped plans to play CGA events and getting my Amateur status back. I decided to draw my line in the sand so to speak. I am like Fella on that aspect in that I will play what I damn well want to! If someone does not want to play with me because of my clubs fine go on down the road and pound sand. that is one of the reasons I have in my signature Outlaw Golf Association and will not be renewing my USGA membership after 20+ years. As far as the bunch I play with no one gives two hoots what someone plays.

To add to the can of worms I found out like if say a set was approved by model say if you have a current 1015 set that if an individual set is checked some clubs within that set may not be legal. to get a perspective on this check out Bladehunter's thread in WITB. It can get complicated and yes we have the almighty USGA to blame

Sorry got off on a rage but to answer the original question I played Mini tour events up until 2010 with the same set of VIPs I have in my bag now. I also played Persimmon until around 01 or 02 on the minis. I think I was the last persimmon man standing.

The thing that amuses me .. is that the MacGregor 1025CM 7-PW are shown as allowed until 2024 (as long as the groove rule condition is not mandated in whatever Comp it is) and yet apparently the same irons of the 1025M set are not ... which are the same bloody clubs LOL (CMs have the cavity C's up to 6, and the muscleback M's from 7-PW).

Stupid rule anyway. Surely the real "intent" here was to "prohibit an unfair advantage from the club design" ? Maybe the lack of conforming classic irons in these lists is in itself a tacit admission that the old stuff we like is better kit LOL. Who'd have thought ! :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

What I love is that the explicit intent of the groove rule was to restore groove volumes to what we would all recognise as "traditional" or old fashioned v-groove profiles. And yet, we have a situation whereby clubs that were designed to those specs first time around are not formally approved.

I do still hope that before 2024 comes around, the governing bodies will junk the implementation of the rule for any level of play below the professional tours and possibly the very highest level of amateur competition.

It would be a tragedy, as well as a farce, if classic irons were legislated out of play.

Doug,

Had a brief thawing out period where it shot up to 45 this afternoon, but expecting another dip below freezing tomorrow evening.

The Joe Powells may well be the sweetest woods I have ever had the pleasure of striking a ball with. When used consistent with the manner in which they are intended they produce a very fine result. Alas I was lacking in the consistency department 50% of the time with the driver yesterday. Due to the nature of the course, short, tight, and exposed, ( a number of holes hold views of the Intercostal Waterway) I should have went 2 iron off all tees with the exception of the 3 pars.

What I love is that the explicit intent of the groove rule was to restore groove volumes to what we would all recognise as "traditional" or old fashioned v-groove profiles. And yet, we have a situation whereby clubs that were designed to those specs first time around are not formally approved.

I do still hope that before 2024 comes around, the governing bodies will junk the implementation of the rule for any level of play below the professional tours and possibly the very highest level of amateur competition.

It would be a tragedy, as well as a farce, if classic irons were legislated out of play.

Trust me the USGA does not give two hoots. The only thing they are interested in is their pocketbook. Not "betterment and protection of the game" as they say but betterment and protection of their bottom line which is a crying shame and I am darn sure the founding fathers of the USGA never meant for it to turn out that way

Thanks Randy. A BZ from you is like getting 10 "likes". LOL. Good luck for day two of your Senior shootout.

Weather? Sh***y! 10* with periodic snow squalls. Playing at golf seems a long way off for the moment.

Sco, watched a little of the golf last evening. This one fellow (noted ESPN anchor) had a pitiful swing. Clubs that were to short requiring him to bend over excessively, a swing that he repeatedly bailed out with. Announcers mentioned that he was a 15 hdcp. (IIRC). No way in h*** was that a 15 capper swing. Could go to the local public, pick 10 fellows at random, and 9 would have a more functional swing.

But.....far be it from me to be overly critical. He's playing golf on TV, where its warm, at Pebble, and I'm not. There's a reason why I don't like watching myself on video. In my mind, have a swing like Freddie Couples. Ignorance is bliss.

That made me chuckle! I know my swing is short and a little quick, so in my mind I'm nick price......ignorance is bliss ha ha

All I remember was it's a line in a poem by some old English guy. Used the Googles to jog the memory. Could also apply to golf and sometimes the discussions on WRX.

The last stanza:

To each his sufferings: all are men,

Condemn'd alike to groan—

The tender for another's pain,

Th' unfeeling for his own.

Yet, ah! why should they know their fate,

Since sorrow never comes too late,

And happiness too swiftly flies?

Thought would destroy their Paradise.

No more;—where ignorance is bliss,

'Tis folly to be wise.

"Ode on a Distant Prospect of Eton College" - Thomas Gray (1742)

The highbrow moment for the day.

If one is a little leery of playing vintage in competition, but would like to dip toes in the water, so to speak, I would suggest a scramble or best ball. This works especially well when someone in your group is a bomber. If this is the case then the persimmons work well in that the shorter length and heavier weight keeps the ball in play on the times when your group's Bubba hits it crooked, and since birdies are the order of the day, then all you need for your no offset, easy to aim, vintage irons is to stiff it a few times and then everybody is happy. I don't think this works in a charity event where you just show up and play in a blind draw, that would feel weird, but at your home club where you more or less know everybody, it's a great way to get started.

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

If one is a little leery of playing vintage in competition, but would like to dip toes in the water, so to speak, I would suggest a scramble or best ball. This works especially well when someone in your group is a bomber. If this is the case then the persimmons work well in that the shorter length and heavier weight keeps the ball in play on the times when your group's Bubba hits it crooked, and since birdies are the order of the day, then all you need for your no offset, easy to aim, vintage irons is to stiff it a few times and then everybody is happy. I don't think this works in a charity event where you just show up and play in a blind draw, that would feel weird, but at your home club where you more or less know everybody, it's a great way to get started.

Actually on a simular line On certain courses when playing metal woods and it is a shorter tighter course I will pull my metal 3 wood out and put my old Penna driver in. With age my swing speed has went down a lot and I hit it straighter than I ever did before and can hit it a little further than my 3 wood off a tee. As far as what you said about a blind draw in a charity scramble I would not worry one iota what anyone thinks period. Screw em if they dont like what I hit they can go on up the road for all I care and pound sand. Never ever let anyone intimidate you on you choice of gear you want to play and certainly you should not feel weird about your choices of what you want to play

I went back and looked at my history playing CVGA tournaments(cvga is a regional golf association in Wisconsin)and my first few I played what I would call vintage.

Callaway Steelhead 10° steel stiff

TaylorMade Bubble Burner 3w stiff

Riviera something 7w stiff

767 tour series 5-pw

Affinity sw

Hog putter

I remember I was new to tournament golf other than high school and everyone had r7 drivers ft3s everything new and I felt dumb with all my old gear. I shot a 92 though on a tough course and won 5th flight and started to realize that older equipment was still good equipment. Now days I play a sunday set with older clubs while keeping up with technology in my longer clubs. I treated myself this year with a new 3w but to me it's classic. Clean lines and zeo adjustability. I see no need for a driver as the Jetspeed 3w is longer than my old drivers.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I went back and looked at my history playing CVGA tournaments(cvga is a regional golf association in Wisconsin)and my first few I played what I would call vintage.

Callaway Steelhead 10° steel stiff

TaylorMade Bubble Burner 3w stiff

Riviera something 7w stiff

767 tour series 5-pw

Affinity sw

Hog putter

I remember I was new to tournament golf other than high school and everyone had r7 drivers ft3s everything new and I felt dumb with all my old gear. I shot a 92 though on a tough course and won 5th flight and started to realize that older equipment was still good equipment. Now days I play a sunday set with older clubs while keeping up with technology in my longer clubs. I treated myself this year with a new 3w but to me it's classic. Clean lines and zeo adjustability. I see no need for a driver as the Jetspeed 3w is longer than my old drivers.

Exactly that is why I messed around specing a shaft for and building an old Bertha S2H2 5 wood yesterday. It had an old Memphis 10 in it with original grip. It was in the scrrap pile at work and had a cover on it. I do not think in it's life it had been hit much. I could hit it with the M-10 but not the distance and trajectory I wanted. I put an Adams Aldila regular flex in it that came from a lefty Adams 3 wood I got at Goodwill. My buddy asked me why in the heck I was messing with that thing for since I have the "ugly duckling" which is an old Adams GT 5 wood that I can smoke? I told him you never know this may be better and I like old Cally woods anyhow. Experiments like that help my constant learning curve. Besides the looks are priceless when you flat out smoke one with what some folks deem obsolete antique equipment

My favorite clubs have 1956 leather 'reminder' grips. I'm disqualified for that reason.

I still can't understand how a grip can be banned, but Millenium Falcon shaped drivers aren't?

Yep I have a pristine Wilson forged Sarazen sand wedge that has that grip and the grip is pristine. I hit that old wedge pretty good like it is and it goes in and out on the vintage rotation. the only problem with me on that grip is the fact I manulipate the club in my hands and with that flat spot at 11:00 it makes it difficult for me. But that grip is so nice and I have kept it up the 3 years or so I have had it I am not going to take it off

Exactly that is why I messed around specing a shaft for and building an old Bertha S2H2 5 wood yesterday. It had an old Memphis 10 in it with original grip. It was in the scrrap pile at work and had a cover on it. I do not think in it's life it had been hit much. I could hit it with the M-10 but not the distance and trajectory I wanted. I put an Adams Aldila regular flex in it that came from a lefty Adams 3 wood I got at Goodwill. My buddy asked me why in the heck I was messing with that thing for since I have the "ugly duckling" which is an old Adams GT 5 wood that I can smoke? I told him you never know this may be better and I like old Cally woods anyhow. Experiments like that help my constant learning curve. Besides the looks are priceless when you flat out smoke one with what some folks deem obsolete antique equipment

Big Stu, coincidence. Just picked up an old Cally S2H2 Heavenwood Big Bertha 7W last week. Never have played Cally before in any form or fashion. But this one caught my eye for $5.00. Has a GD YS-6+ ® shaft in it. One I rather like in my 983K. It's a not very good homebrew install. Not sure if it's tipped right and is about 1" to long. Even for me. But I'll give it a go once the weather cooperates, see what it feels like, before I start messing with it. If I don't care for it, I'll reshaft for the Mrs. and install the shaft in something else.

Also, another BH Sand Iron for $2.00. Still like them, buy them when they're in good shape, play them. Saves me the trouble of swapping SW between bags. As you said, gotta love "obsolete" equipment!!!

Stu, would you happen to have a tip to graphic measurement for an uncut GD YS-6+ in your workshop?

^^ Fella do not have the exact numbers on it. If the 983 is a bore through it should be around the same stiffness. Usually with a bore thru shaft you do not tip them much if any at all because the bore thru will make the tip stiffer. If the 983 is not a bore thru then it will be tipped some

I had a GD YS 6+ in a Tmag vsteel 3w at one point that was a beast. That's when I started ditching driver and just using a 3w. Man why the h*ll did I get rid of some of the stuff I once had I'll never know. Oh yeah I do, always looking for a better game. Realized the clubs were fine. It was the guy swinging them that needed work.

150PSP System-Witb

Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum 20*

Cobra Baffler XL 6 Hybrid 

Mazel Chipper PW

Heavy Putter Light Weight Q2

Bridgestone e6 Ball

I was watching Shells Wonderfull World Golf today on dvd. It was the Hogan - Snead match in 63 ( so all vintage). They played Huston CC from the tips at 7056 yds. Hogan shot -4, Snead -1. Groove your swing and you can compete with any of the new clubs. The only difference I saw was they could not get to the longer par 5s in 2. But their short games were so money they birdied, especially Hogan. I would take him against anyone 150 in.