2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

You have turned pro and must decide...

McCann1

Which company do you go on staff with? Your options are stay with Titleist, or venture to Callaway or Taylormade. Which company and why?

What clubs do you hit better? You seem to be very focused on just the woods which is interesting to me being that you are a pro. Your woods make up such a small amount of your entire round/game that I wouldn't think that would be the sticking point to one company or another.

Regardless, pick the company that you hit the best with and enjoy the most. I had this dilemma in another sport and I choose the company that I had the brightest future with at the time and was going to treat me the best and it was the best decision of my life! The reason why I picked that way was because the equipment was so similar that it was a wash on which one to use. I could play and win with either of them. To this day they still send me things and I don't even play that sport anymore!

Good luck on your venture, hopefully we will see a post of you getting a tour status at some point in time!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By definition, 'if you just turned pro' ... you have no choice of equipment companies. Driver maybe, not even sure if they're still doing that. But overall, You're just another guy that's paying entry fees.

You just got to whatever level with the clubs you have, no reason to discard current bag for a few bucks and have 14 new variables in your lineup.

How are you on tour and no one is paying you to play their clubs? I call phony on the no money. And BTW, I'd play whomever payed me the most. Only on WRX do people think it matters. They're just golf clubs. A guy with a tour quality move can play with anything. It's like flavors of ice cream. Some guys just like chocolate. If somebody pays him big bucks to eat vanilla, you think he eats vanilla?

I don't think you know much about being on staff with a company. There are different levels. Guys with status on major tours get some comp for using a certain brand. Everyone else gets free stuff and that's it. Or if they really feel bad for you they'll just charge like 40% off wholesale or something.

Correct although there are some contracts for non status players that give them some money to play their clubs as well as incentives built into the contract if player gets world ranking points or gets status on web, euro or pga tour.

You did not mention Nike in your choices, have you considered Nike?

Hey Agatha, I hope Matt's season has been going well so far. I've been keeping track of him. And at the moment Nike has not been in consideration. Just Callaway, Titleist, and Taylormade because I have a contact that I can go to right now and say okay you guys are what I want to use. I don't have that with Nike.

Which company do you go on staff with? Your options are stay with Titleist, or venture to Callaway or Taylormade. Which company and why?

What clubs do you hit better? You seem to be very focused on just the woods which is interesting to me being that you are a pro. Your woods make up such a small amount of your entire round/game that I wouldn't think that would be the sticking point to one company or another.

Regardless, pick the company that you hit the best with and enjoy the most. I had this dilemma in another sport and I choose the company that I had the brightest future with at the time and was going to treat me the best and it was the best decision of my life! The reason why I picked that way was because the equipment was so similar that it was a wash on which one to use. I could play and win with either of them. To this day they still send me things and I don't even play that sport anymore!

Good luck on your venture, hopefully we will see a post of you getting a tour status at some point in time!

Hey Dan I appreciate the good luck. One of my buddies just got full status until the first reshuffle on the Mackenzie tour in his first attempt so I'm lagging behind! Just because of schedule conflicts I wasn't able to attempt Q school this spring but I'll be there for Web qual in the fall.

As for my interest in finding good woods.. wedging, putting, and really just my short game in general is the strong point in my game. My struggles come with getting the ball where I want to off of the tee, especially in crosswinds. I figure part of that is my club setup( my woods have always had more spin than the desired amount) even with driver I'm still getting out just over 300 yards. I could be nitpicking but like a lot of guys I'm trying to find something else even if it's a tiny bit better. I hope that clarifies why I'm considering a different brand because of the woods

I believe Titleist only "staffs" players who have already had a win on tour.

That can't be true. Titleist has a page on their website with all the guys on staff from all the major tours. Not all of them, many of them in fact, don't have wins. In my situation, I was placed on product support as a junior and amateur golfer and since turning pro my old rep forwards my info to the developmental tour rep and then I can continue to grow a relationship with them and any other reps as I move up in status.

Hey Dan I appreciate the good luck. One of my buddies just got full status until the first reshuffle on the Mackenzie tour in his first attempt so I'm lagging behind! Just because of schedule conflicts I wasn't able to attempt Q school this spring but I'll be there for Web qual in the fall.

As for my interest in finding good woods.. wedging, putting, and really just my short game in general is the strong point in my game. My struggles come with getting the ball where I want to off of the tee, especially in crosswinds. I figure part of that is my club setup( my woods have always had more spin than the desired amount) even with driver I'm still getting out just over 300 yards. I could be nitpicking but like a lot of guys I'm trying to find something else even if it's a tiny bit better. I hope that clarifies why I'm considering a different brand because of the woods

Makes sense to me. I wish you the best of luck. Finding a driver is a pain. I think I went through 10 shafts before finding what I liked the most. I'm sure at the end of the day whatever you pick will be the right choice if you put in enough blood, sweat and tears into your game.

How are you on tour and no one is paying you to play their clubs? I call phony on the no money. And BTW, I'd play whomever payed me the most. Only on WRX do people think it matters. They're just golf clubs. A guy with a tour quality move can play with anything. It's like flavors of ice cream. Some guys just like chocolate. If somebody pays him big bucks to eat vanilla, you think he eats vanilla?

I don't think you know much about being on staff with a company. There are different levels. Guys with status on major tours get some comp for using a certain brand. Everyone else gets free stuff and that's it. Or if they really feel bad for you they'll just charge like 40% off wholesale or something.

Correct although there are some contracts for non status players that give them some money to play their clubs as well as incentives built into the contract if player gets world ranking points or gets status on web, euro or pga tour.

You did not mention Nike in your choices, have you considered Nike?

Hey Agatha, I hope Matt's season has been going well so far. I've been keeping track of him. And at the moment Nike has not been in consideration. Just Callaway, Titleist, and Taylormade because I have a contact that I can go to right now and say okay you guys are what I want to use. I don't have that with Nike.

Well I think its best to stay with what works for you if there are not financial offers currently, loyalty also goes a long way in this business. Ask your contacts what is possible for you to perhaps earn with solid performance. If changing is not a big deal to you and one of those 3 are willing to give you a contract, even if it just an incentives contract then perhaps you should consider changing but if not, stay with what got you were you are now. Thats my 2 cents.

I know you said that no money was involved, but that's where I would still lean to because their equipment is roughly similar and if I want something in particular, I can probably get it customized to what I want.

Since I use Edel wedges and their Torque Balanced Putter, I would probably lean towards Callaway with their PM Grind wedge and Toe Up putter (I honestly believe that Phil is a big fan of Edel and gets Callaway to take their wedge and putter concepts). I played 1 round with their driver a year ago (I use a Wishon driver) and it wasn't bad. They seem to be very willing to help their Tour players with customization. Just as long as I can get an ole Innovate or Die staff bag, we're good.

RH