I hit a greens keeper

I my defense, they weren't raking traps, they were pushing sand back up on the edges after a big rain, a process that takes considerable time. We had already watch several groups play through while we were on the adjacent holes, I don't make a habit of hitting when I think I can reach someone I felt like this was an extenuating circumstances. . I whistled because I can do it a lot louder than yelling fore. Finally, the trap was only a couple paces off the edge of the bunker.

I think another poster said it, but a whistle means "look over here". It is a good thing to do to get them to wave you up, but a bad thing to do with a ball heading for them. Fore means "take cover".

Now the funny thing I can never figure out is what to yell when a ball his heading off the course towards non-golfers as FORE means nothing to them.

SHARK!! Nobody likes f*****g sharks..

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP I would have done the same as you. I am so far against hitting near people its insane. I am always the guy in our group that refuses to hit if I think I can get even close to a person, as a golf ball in flight is a lethal projectile with killing force. However if you saw several groups play through, that was clearly what you had to do as well. I dont really understand some of the people on here saying you were wrong at all. If several groups all ready did so, and I saw that, I wouldnt think anything of it.

Aside from throwing the worker a few dollars, I am not sure what else you could have done, so you definitely handled that right. Especially if you went out of your way to find the person.

OP, don't lose sleep over it. Given the circumstances I cannot imagine what else you could have done. Glad the guy wasn't injured. And going to find him was actually above and beyond.

You may face the exact same situation in the future. Life is cyclic like that sometimes. Throws the same curve our way to see if we learned anything from the last time. Ask yourself this; when I face this situation again how am I going to deal with it? If your answer is drastically different from how things went - well you answered your own question from the first post.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

I also worked on the grounds crew through college and 2 summer in high school for a total of 6 summers on the busiest course in my area. Before I hit the shot I did everything that I would have expected someone to do before hitting my way when I was working.

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself but I truly do not want any of you thinking that I'm the guy who prances around the place like he owns the course. I truly believe that it was just an unfortunate ACCIDENT and wanted to know if everyone felt that I behaved in an appropriate way after the fact.

Wow.

So you accidentally hit a ball while someone was clearly standing in one of the possible landing areas. Did the club slip into your backswing or something and you felt you had to continue through?

It was unfortunate he got hit but it was no accident. Accidents can be prevented through common sense in most cases.

I also worked on the grounds crew through college and 2 summer in high school for a total of 6 summers on the busiest course in my area. Before I hit the shot I did everything that I would have expected someone to do before hitting my way when I was working.

I'm sorry to keep repeating myself but I truly do not want any of you thinking that I'm the guy who prances around the place like he owns the course. I truly believe that it was just an unfortunate ACCIDENT and wanted to know if everyone felt that I behaved in an appropriate way after the fact.

Wow.

So you accidentally hit a ball while someone was clearly standing in one of the possible landing areas. Did the club slip into your backswing or something and you felt you had to continue through?

It was unfortunate he got hit but it was no accident. Accidents can be prevented through common sense in most cases.

soooo im honestly curious here, not trying to be a jerk. But what would you have done different? The OP said they saw several groups play the hole with the crew there, so it seems the grounds crew was fine with that happening. If they were expecting everyone to just go, and were going to be there for a while, I dont see the alternative. I dont think waiting on the tee would have worked unless you wanted to back the whole course up. If it wasnt clearly the thing that people were still playing the whole before them, it would be different, but this seems pretty clear.

Wow.

:deadhorse:

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

When I played in Scotland for the first time, I was absolutely astounded by the confidence the greenkeepers there have in the ability of players to not hit a really bad shot. Time and time again, they signalled me to hit, when they were clearly in a place, in which a thinned, low screamer could easily hit them, not more than 70 yards away from the tee and not more than ten yards offline.

I think that one should hit, if they clearly signal that one should, but there were some cases in which I was not comfortable at all with that.

But what should one do, if the course is busy and they obviously pay attention and see that you want to hit, but simply stay in a spot, where they are in danger?

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

The OP added all the "extra details" when he saw he was getting hammered for his behavior and couldn't handle being in the wrong. The story changed.

By page 3 the story will be the greenskeeper drove up to him and said "I'm just going to be working over there, hit whenever you'd like sir" and then he got hit accidentally.

Since the story has completely changed, yes, after the greenskeeper drives up and tells you it's okay to hit whenever, then yes swing away by all means.

OP just can't own that he royally messed up and uncaringly put a worker in danger. That's fine if that's who he is. He wanted opinions. I opined that I would never do that. Apparently that answer is unacceptable so he added a few caveats to try to get the answer he'd like to hear. That's WRX.

The OP added all the "extra details" when he saw he was getting hammered for his behavior and couldn't handle being in the wrong. The story changed.

By page 3 the story will be the greenskeeper drove up to him and said "I'm just going to be working over there, hit whenever you'd like sir" and then he got hit accidentally.

Since the story has completely changed, yes, after the greenskeeper drives up and tells you it's okay to hit whenever, then yes swing away by all means.

OP just can't own that he royally messed up and uncaringly put a worker in danger. That's fine if that's who he is. He wanted opinions. I opined that I would never do that. Apparently that answer is unacceptable so he added a few caveats to try to get the answer he'd like to hear. That's WRX.

I don’t know Augster… Did the story change really?

I don’t know why, but I felt like your post is also very “wrx”, in the sense that it’s easy to judge someone for a few lines. If I may say so, after having read many of your messages for some time now, I believe that is not what the Augster I know would do. If you’re right, WooPig changed the story when he added details. You might be right, but the truth is that we don’t know anything about him and have no reason to doubt him.

He didn’t need to post anything, to begin with. If he did, it very well could be because he feels bad for having hit this guy and he wanted to know if he managed the situation correctly AFTER the accident. Give the guy a break and the benefit of the doubt ;)

You say that it was not an accident since it could have been prevented. Many accidents could have been prevented but they are still accidents anyway… Of course I agree with you in that this particular accident could / should have been avoided, but I also believe that he didn't mean to hit anyone, so it sounds like an accident to me.

As I said in post 23, I believe that hitting in the direction where a worker could be hit is wrong, but you have to be there in order to understand the circumstances and why he hit… Why shouldn’t we believe him? I also believe that after the accident he did all he could do and he handled that part correctly…

I’m sorry for all this; it’s just that what you wrote sounded a little too hard, IMHO. Maybe I’m just getting old LOL.

All the best to you gentlemen!

They were edging sand trap, I whistled as loud as I can but one of the walked right into it on the fly, solid strike to the shoulder.

By the time we got down there they have moved on so I tracked him down to shake his hand that appologize (very nice guy, said it was part of the job) but I said I was sorry again and be went back to business.

Did I do the right thing? What you you do?

You did the right thing but gave him the wrong title. ;)

Originally courses were the 'green'. The bit with the flag is a 'putting green'. This guy is a Green Keeper. He doesn't just look after the (putting) greens, he looks after the whole course.

They were edging sand trap, I whistled as loud as I can but one of the walked right into it on the fly, solid strike to the shoulder.

By the time we got down there they have moved on so I tracked him down to shake his hand that appologize (very nice guy, said it was part of the job) but I said I was sorry again and be went back to business.

Did I do the right thing? What you you do?

You did the right thing but gave him the wrong title. ;)

Originally courses were the 'green'. The bit with the flag is a 'putting green'. This guy is a Green Keeper. He doesn't just look after the (putting) greens, he looks after the whole course.

So you worked 6 summers on a course yet feel you need validation of your actions ...... Aw never mind

That's interesting..."greenskeeper" (one word) seems to be the more commonly used term here in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenskeeper

http://work.chron.com/average-salary-greenskeeper-4972.html

Webster dictionary agrees with you:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/greenkeeper

That's interesting..."greenskeeper" (one word) seems to be the more commonly used term here in the US.

Unless you count the term used in the Rules of Golf!

I should have added that the job title was originally 'Keeper of the Green'.

http://www.bigga.org...ns/greenkeeper/

http://www.the-gtc.co.uk/

And you should also have mentioned that Water Hazards were originally called, "watter or wattery filth" per Rule 5. :derisive:

http://www.scottishgolfhistory.org/origin-of-golf-terms/rules-of-golf/

What changed in my story? I tried to keep is short and sweet in the beginning, I added the details as I thought was necessary. Since I forgot to mention it earlier, I was wearing blue pants and a gray shirt, I also had on a gray pullover on because it was a little cool. I was playing with my neighbor and two gentlemen that I did not know. Oh!, almost forgot, we played from the white tee and it was cart path only that day.

Seriously though, if I felt the need to make up a story to make myself look better on a thread that I started, couldn't I have just not started the thread in the first place? After all, none of you knew about the ACCIDENT before I told you about it.

So you worked 6 summers on a course yet feel you need validation of your actions ...... Aw never mind

Yes, I worked 6 summers on a golf course, Isabella in Hot Springs Village. I was just asking if anyone would have done anything differently.

What changed in my story? I tried to keep is short and sweet in the beginning, I added the details as I thought was necessary. Since I forgot to mention it earlier, I was wearing blue pants and a gray shirt, I also had on a gray pullover on because it was a little cool. I was playing with my neighbor and two gentlemen that I did not know. Oh!, almost forgot, we played from the white tee and it was cart path only that day.

Seriously though, if I felt the need to make up a story to make myself look better on a thread that I started, couldn't I have just not started the thread in the first place? After all, none of you knew about the ACCIDENT before I told you about it.

Yes, I worked 6 summers on a golf course, Isabella in Hot Springs Village. I was just asking if anyone would have done anything differently.

OP, some members get off by stirring the pot. Don't validate those post by replying. Just ignore them. Not worth your time.

But why the white instead of the blue tees? And do find that gray is a slimming color? : )

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

@WooPig:

You did nothing wrong. Had a similar experience while on vacation in FL, but I wasn't mean and didn't hit them like you :). The guys were working on a fairway bunker, doing some major work. It was obvious that they were setup for a while with the equipment they had. When we get to the tee box they glance back and us and then put their heads down and keep working. It was obvious they weren't stopping, so we swing away.

Medic is spot on with his commentary. I'm also very curious as to why the white tees and choice of clothing :)

One of my "Tour" pro friends told me that pairing a gray shirt with a white belt and hat virtually guarantees two holes one in match play caused by sheer intimidation (I find it hard to believe that no one on WRX knew that)...

As for the tees, is it too late to change the story to make myself sound cooler? ?

Its obvious some WRX members come to the forums for an opportunity to berate others for the sole purpose of self validation. These poor saps probably can't get a word in at home and have no say in their own houses, hence the need to go on-and-on about trivial matters.

I work at a course OP, and I can tell you for a fact that the maintenance guys wave players through all the time when they are mowing around bunkers, using string trimmers, or working on certain areas of the course.

If they had to stop and move out of the way of every group on the course as they came through, it would take them forever to complete even the simplest of tasks.

I've asked a few of them before about waving golfers through when they are working, and if they are worried about getting hit, and they all said pretty much the same thing - the chances of getting hit are extremely small, and its something they accept as part of the job.

Hell, I've seen players hit into maintenance workers on the course, yell fore, and the maintenance crew never even looks up or stops what they are doing.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime