Apex Pro 16 with Nippon Modus3 120 Horrible Feel

oh-brian

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got fit and picked the clubs, what else are they suppose to do....lol,

Thats like me building someone's kitchen and installing everything they picked and then them saying I hate my kitchen build me a new one....haha......

You picked it you bought it, and maybe don't put so much trust in others people's preferences....puring is complete waste anyways...

I have heard this story time and time again and just don't understand how people can buy clubs after so much resesrch, then get fit and choose something only to hate it....some of my best clubs took a Lil while to get used too, and I know that when I change it might take a bit of time

But I didn't care for new apex or apex pro after one hit....thought last generation looked and felt better

I do have pro modus though and love this shaft...understand not everyone will but feel wise it's as smooth as they come

the modus 120 has a unique bend profile most have never used before with the soft middle soft butt and stiff tip. The shaft will probably only fit a smaller % of golfers. I swapped in modus 125 stiffs into my Z745s from s300 and the modus 125 are great. Somewhat similar to the s300 but feel lighter, much smoother no vibration and they feel less stiff but its prolly only a perception due to smoothness as there is no ball flight dispersion as a result of any flex issue. Ball flight is strong, penetrating and go high or low. I think the 125 shaft with its familiar bend profile will be much more suitable to the masses looking to try nippon

Soft butt, firm middle and firm tip. Not soft middle.

Tour120 is love hate. I don't prefer it. Feels clunky and dead as you say, too soft. I like to feel the shaft in my hands and the Tour120 I don't feel it. It's like I got some Novocaine in my arms when I swing those.

That said, you totally wasted your money SST pureing Nippons. You can insert them in any orientation and they will play 100% the exact same. SST pure in general is just a gimmick. I've been in multiple tour vans when the van tech's pretty much laugh at the SST Pure guy when he wants to pure their newest offerings. It's only done on tour for players repping SST Pure or for the few mental midgets that can't swing a club without that sticker on it.

Feel is a funny thing. Have a set of MP 69 irons with the Modus 120 built by Mizuno for me. They outperform anything I have tried since. Anyone who tries them always have questions about them. When I asked Nippon about the above chart at the PGA show in Orlando and asked if they considered Stenson an early releaser the rep smiled and said one word Marketing.

Now to feel, I have a set of MP 68 heads that I put the Modus 120 in and they don't even feel like cousins to the MP 69 set. My conclusion variation in the club head i.e. weight or perhaps manufacturing foundry can alter feel.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

Clubs were assembled by my fitter and built to D4. We are now going to D6.

This is a common tale. Golfer goes to fitting. Likes clubs. Golfer buys clubs. Golfer does not like clubs.

The obvious answer is that something changed. Either the golfer was swinging different during the fitting session, and was built a set for THAT session. Or, the set was not properly matched to the original fitting specifications. But the bottom line is that the set is NOT performing ideally.

These things happen, and If the fitter is committed to their customers, (even if the case is that you were not swinging like your normal game), the fitter should work with you to get it right.

Please continue to post what you learn.

3step

I always try out a fitted set several times over a few weeks before I pull the trigger. I have found that what is awesome one day feels like #@%@ the next. One day an MP-5 with xp-95 shaft felt awesome, then 2 days later that same combo sucks, but a mp-25 with KBS Tour 90 feels awesome. Over a few weeks of testing fittings you'll find the right one.

Personally I go one step further to quantify my fittings. I record all the trackman data and use a spread sheet in input all the details to make cross-comparisons on my computer. This takes the "feel" out of the equation and I can see where the numbers really are if they actually help. I also input the shot dispersion into a graph and create my own "impact area" (I use offline as x, and carry as y). Then I draw a circle and see what setup gives me a tighter radius. Of course all of that I do on my own, but it allows me to take the raw data of each test club and directly compare performance without the factor of "feel". Surprisingly this method has influenced what "feels" best, because if I wasn't likely a certain combo, but the performance was better, I found myself starting to like that combo.

I always try out a fitted set several times over a few weeks before I pull the trigger. I have found that what is awesome one day feels like #@%@ the next. One day an MP-5 with xp-95 shaft felt awesome, then 2 days later that same combo sucks, but a mp-25 with KBS Tour 90 feels awesome. Over a few weeks of testing fittings you'll find the right one.

Personally I go one step further to quantify my fittings. I record all the trackman data and use a spread sheet in input all the details to make cross-comparisons on my computer. This takes the "feel" out of the equation and I can see where the numbers really are if they actually help. I also input the shot dispersion into a graph and create my own "impact area" (I use offline as x, and carry as y). Then I draw a circle and see what setup gives me a tighter radius. Of course all of that I do on my own, but it allows me to take the raw data of each test club and directly compare performance without the factor of "feel". Surprisingly this method has influenced what "feels" best, because if I wasn't likely a certain combo, but the performance was better, I found myself starting to like that combo.

Thanks for a good response...unlike those who chose to be jerks. My intent was not to b**** about the fitter or the decision I made. I was curious in other people's experience with the shaft or combo. What I will tell you is the the data supported my purchase and that was reaffirmed yesterday as we added some weight to the head. My guess is that as the weather warms up and as I play more, I will like the clubs more and more. The trajectory is really good and the clubs are very straight....I might be able to handle a less responsive feel if that continues to be the case. Cheers!

Finally hit mine. Not good for me. I've played shafts at this weight so it wasn't that. The shafts just felt too stiff. I've played Nippon 1150, c taper lites stiff and they felt more responsive for me

Titleist TSR2 Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2+ Tour AD DI
Titleist TSR2 18 Speeder 757 Evo V

Mizuno Max Hybrid 22

Titleist T350 5-7

Titleist T200 8-48
Ping s159 54,60
Scotty Cameron Jet Setter NP2

I have been playing the Nippon NS Pro Modus Tour 120 in my OnOff Kuro irons and the feel is fantastic for my taste. The ball flight and spin characteristics match my swing well. My buddy just bought the same Irons you bought and he went with the NS Pro Modus Tour 120 after hitting mine and he likes them.

I will say the Callaway Apex CF 16 is a much different head design with the 360 face Cup in the 3-7 iron and special face plate on the shorter irons. These clubs are crazy long too with the strong lofts and tech. I'll ask him how they feel compared to his other forged irons. ( Mizuno, Ping Anser, Hogans )

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

Did your fitter remove the silkscreen on the shafts?

If so that would seriously damage tradenin value?

He did remove the silk screening and I have thought about the fact that could impact the value. I have the PURING report for each shaft, so it was my hope that providing these might help retain some of the value and prove that they are Nippon Modus 120s. IDK......

i have the 120s hard stepped once in some 745's. Do they feel amazing. No. But its what I got fit for and the performance is good.

It is a little bit disappointing that they feel the way they do, but i'm going to stick with them. I prefer getting close to or making the ball do what I want, than having perfect feeling irons that don't cooperate.

Have same set up with my PXG's. My spin with 7iron is 6800 but coming from the 745's and the Aerotech i95 Stiff's I have lost about a half club distance wise on these? My spin with a 7I in the Aerotech's was around 5800? What did you play before the 120's? How is the spin for you? Thanks....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

i have the 120s hard stepped once in some 745's. Do they feel amazing. No. But its what I got fit for and the performance is good.

It is a little bit disappointing that they feel the way they do, but i'm going to stick with them. I prefer getting close to or making the ball do what I want, than having perfect feeling irons that don't cooperate.

Have same set up with my PXG's. My spin with 7iron is 6800 but coming from the 745's and the Aerotech i95 Stiff's I have lost about a half club distance wise on these? My spin with a 7I in the Aerotech's was around 5800? What did you play before the 120's? How is the spin for you? Thanks....

My spin is around 5,000 with a 6 iron...this is about 350 RPMs more than my MP-53s with KBS Tour.