2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I think I've said this like 30 times LOL, I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, ENJOY ALL OF YOUR POSTS :D

I read every single one, everytime since I've started hanging with the crew. I learn constantly from all of you. When some of my buddies come visit me here at home I tell them I now have a "Masters Degree" in Golf. The amount of information of all kinds I've absorbed from all of you is worth more than I could ever afford.

True confession, I really suck at typing or getting my thoughts out. If we were to ever actually hang out in person I'll make a lot more sense, I'll talk your ear off too LOL, and I'm always joking around :) So I reserve my thoughts on golf swing and other things many times because I'll lose my train of thought or my "point" before I'm even halfway through the first 2 sentences.

As a drummer I wanted to be a session guy, play every type of music. I'm like that with golf, I'll give everything some thought, try it out just so I can know if it works for me. The more I learn about the golf swing the better, I'll mix and match lots of things. I like to discuss all the technical aspects as I can shut that part of my brain off when I play golf now. I've learned how to do that. Surprisingly it was like drumming. Practice, and FULL understanding of what I'm trying to do = trust and execution during the "performance"

great discussion guys....I wont be posting too much for awhile,but i really enjoy your in depth discussions.

Ham Matt Reason Ninja and everyone else....thanks for the information and the "back-and-forth"...Good job

You home yet fella or still in the "horse-pital"?

I'm home now.....no big movements....no walking for 1st week.....now i am on a walking spree....lol tired already of sitting/laying around.....

its going to be a long haul from here on through august which is the tentative release date.....we'll get there...thanks for the thoughts guys.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Good to hear you're home Bill. Keep feeling better!

I thought of the perfect project for the Confessions crew today...

some of you may have noticed my 3:1 Tempo thread. Well, that Tour Tempo app comes with these music tracks that you can listen to before a round to get the Tempo stuck in your head. I was thinking the Confessions crew should write a real song to 24:8 tempo. We've got a drummer, several lyricists, and as I recall a guitar player or two. The Tour Tempo one is heavy on the keys, but I was just thinking if it was real jingle how much better it would stick around.

That being said, I listened to the track on the way to the course this morning and it was stuck in my head until I came home and watched some television.

I made the turn at -1, which is only my second nine under par and tied for my PR on 9 holes. I blew up carding a double on 10, 11, and 12, but finished the last 6 at one over to end at 6 over. The blow up streak wasn't all my fault I got a couple horrible breaks like a drive that plugged in a bunker lip. It was outside the bunker and I thought it deserved relief, but we were playing for small stakes and the other team said, "no, play it as it lies." It made me feel a little better about winning the match. :)

Good to hear you're home Bill. Keep feeling better!

I thought of the perfect project for the Confessions crew today...

some of you may have noticed my 3:1 Tempo thread. Well, that Tour Tempo app comes with these music tracks that you can listen to before a round to get the Tempo stuck in your head. I was thinking the Confessions crew should write a real song to 24:8 tempo. We've got a drummer, several lyricists, and as I recall a guitar player or two. The Tour Tempo one is heavy on the keys, but I was just thinking if it was real jingle how much better it would stick around.

That being said, I listened to the track on the way to the course this morning and it was stuck in my head until I came home and watched some television.

I made the turn at -1, which is only my second nine under par and tied for my PR on 9 holes. I blew up carding a double on 10, 11, and 12, but finished the last 6 at one over to end at 6 over. The blow up streak wasn't all my fault I got a couple horrible breaks like a drive that plugged in a bunker lip. It was outside the bunker and I thought it deserved relief, but we were playing for small stakes and the other team said, "no, play it as it lies." It made me feel a little better about winning the match. :)

The other team has it right....Play it as it lies. Your option was "Unplayable".

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

mdgboxx - you're right, it wasn't truly "impacted" or "plugged." At a really nice facility it was the type of turf that would be deemed "ground under repair" by the committee. If it were me, and the other team had asked for a ruling under match play rules, I would have granted a drop no closer to the hole, which would have been a drop back into the trap. It was a fairway bunker about 150 yards out, on the hardest hole on the golf course, so it wouldn't have been a huge advantage. I actually slammed it with a 5 wood and popped it about 35 yards up the fairway, so it didn't hurt me that badly. Rub of the green if you will.

mdgboxx - you're right, it wasn't truly "impacted" or "plugged." At a really nice facility it was the type of turf that would be deemed "ground under repair" by the committee. If it were me, and the other team had asked for a ruling under match play rules, I would have granted a drop no closer to the hole, which would have been a drop back into the trap. It was a fairway bunker about 150 yards out, on the hardest hole on the golf course, so it wouldn't have been a huge advantage. I actually slammed it with a 5 wood and popped it about 35 yards up the fairway, so it didn't hurt me that badly. Rub of the green if you will.

It would be 2 club lengths from where the ball lay, no closer to the hole, and not in a hazard.

Keeping the ball in a direct line to the hole, you may go backwards as far as you wish.

Play the ball from it's original location.

This is from off the top of my head....I could be so far out in left field, I'd be in a different zip code. :taunt:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Fired the same score again today, 35 on the back and 43 on the front. I had a 34 going on the back going into 18 but made bogey. Would have been my best score on 9 which is always exciting. It's official the front is harder than the back.

Had a lot of fun and hit a lot of bad shots and a handful of good ones. That's the name of the game.

Oh, and my Steelfiber pulls came in the mail today! Stoked to glue those into the old MP-60's!

Fired the same score again today, 35 on the back and 43 on the front. I had a 34 going on the back going into 18 but made bogey. Would have been my best score on 9 which is always exciting. It's official the front is harder than the back.

Had a lot of fun and hit a lot of bad shots and a handful of good ones. That's the name of the game.

Oh, and my Steelfiber pulls came in the mail today! Stoked to glue those into the old MP-60's!

Nice playing.

My 18 month swing overhaul is coming together. Too little play last year and a slow start to this season had me wondering if things would ever come together. Last two weeks I've played about 90 holes with a mix of 9s and 18s. Tired of shooting 42 and 43. With 4 or 5 par and 2 or 3 doubles. But sticking to playing and little range time. Had an aha yesterday. - been taking it away just a bit inside. Fixed it today in 9 with my wife. 38. Foot from an ace. 3 bogeys with a 9i, 7i, and 9i for my 2nd shot. Still not complete trust. Short game and putting is coming around. Continue to hit it long for me. 424 1st today was driver 9i to 15 feet from a back pin.

24/8 for me. Chris Ryan had a couple of recent vids that have helped. One on synchs up your swing and one on extension. The synch got my aha for the inside takeaway.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

MJ, I hope and am interested if those steelfibers and mp60s really help your golfer's elbow. That is a good and soft combo for sure.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

MC. Try this drill for shortening your swing. Dare you to get long with it! Gives me a great feel for where I want to be at the top of the swing. Unlike long swings of the past where I could see the clubhead out of my left eye on this drill at the top I see it out of my right (the grip end). Keep at the TT, too. It has taken me 18 months to really shorten my swing but I need to constantly monitor it cause it likes to creep back in.

[media=]

[/media]

Bonus Vid (this one really works the feel of your hips firing up thru impact). Do this and count the extra yards and fairways/greens hit.

[media=]

[/media]

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Cowboy Lassos Alleged Bike Thief in Wal-Mart Parking Lot

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cowboy-lassos-alleged-bike-thief-wal-mart-parking-lot-n590176

Self-described "cowboy" Robert Borba was at the store in Eagle Point, Oregon, to pick up some dog food when he heard a woman yell out that someone had stolen her bicycle from a rack. Borba, a champion bull rider, took off on his trusty steed to give chase and rounded himself up a suspect.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/cowboy-lassos-alleged-bike-thief-wal-mart-parking-lot-n590176

Self-described "cowboy" Robert Borba was at the store in Eagle Point, Oregon, to pick up some dog food when he heard a woman yell out that someone had stolen her bicycle from a rack. Borba, a champion bull rider, took off on his trusty steed to give chase and rounded himself up a suspect.

I bet you don't see much of that in the city, bsc. Lol.

http://www.nbcnews.c...ing-lot-n590176

What a place Oregon is just a complete dichotomy

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Glk, I've seen some stuff by Chris before. Thanks for posting these.

I've worked with TT. I did a few of the drills and some short swings to get used to the tempo buzzing in my ears. The 24:8 fit after a few swings. 27:9 was slow and 21:7 was fast. The thing is, 24:8 felt right on and I hit the ball solid with it but it made my swing longer. My driver started appearing out of my peripheral again while I was waiting for the second tone. Lol.

I was hoping that the TT app would help correct some of this. When I'm working at the range, I'm concentrating on just stopping my my arms when my shoulders stop. I still have some overrun. The big thing is with my wrist set. When I set my wrists at the top...or what feels like a wrist set is actually my lead arm bending some. Trying to keep my lead arm straight introduces unwanted tension.

I'm hitting the ball solid. Most of my mistakes when I play are short game based because I've spent over a year trying to fix this fault. I think it's time to sharpen up the wedge game and play the swing I have. It repeats. I can work the ball if I need to. If I make a mistake on a full swing I can tie into a mental error. I'll still spend some time trying to get wider in the BS but I'm no longer going to focus all my attention on it. It'll come in increments.

Unfortunately, this is our version of a cowboy

Late wirist set usually long swing. Early set is hard too unless ur named Willet. Like to get it set between p2 and p3. Ryan drills sets wrist early but the key to me is th shoulder turn - with the wrists and arms preset that turn gives a feel for top of swing. I do the drill then look to get the same feel with my swing. I have even done it as a practice swing. As you say focusing on one thing only can be counter productive. I usually rotate on a few things. Setup. Takeaway. Or transition. Really like Monte advice on short swings. Really did it t the range a lot. I am fighting two things. Sucking it inside and long swing. My gremlins for decades. Right now inside is my bigger issue. I start thinning them or pulling tee shots.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Late wirist set usually long swing. Early set is hard too unless ur named Willet. Like to get it set between p2 and p3. Ryan drills sets wrist early but the key to me is th shoulder turn - with the wrists and arms preset that turn gives a feel for top of swing. I do the drill then look to get the same feel with my swing. I have even done it as a practice swing. As you say focusing on one thing only can be counter productive. I usually rotate on a few things. Setup. Takeaway. Or transition. Really like Monte advice on short swings. Really did it t the range a lot. I am fighting two things. Sucking it inside and long swing. My gremlins for decades. Right now inside is my bigger issue. I start thinning them or pulling tee shots.

Unfortunately, my backswing stops when the trail arm folds 45*. That's as far as it goes and I've built everything else off of that. It's not bad with the wedges so, it's it is creeping in.

My best swings happen, and this is where my full swing practice is, when my lead shoulder works down and the hands feel like they're going more up. The in part of it for depth isn't an issue. I can get deep. The downswing is about getting my trail shoulder out to the ball with my head staying back. This is tricky for me. If the lower body doesn't work right, I hit it a little heavy. This where my lower body and bad arm swing need to compensate for each other. If my lead knee turns towards the target and my knees seperate slightly...I'm good. Then, the hips can turn as fast they want. If something goes haywire, I stall push or stall flip hook.

It's been good recently. I can even hit 3w off the turf as long as all this ^^^crap happens. But, 3w wood off the deck is the bane of my golf existence when it doesnt.

Unfortunately, my backswing stops when the trail arm folds 45*. That's as far as it goes and I've built everything else off of that. It's not bad with the wedges so, it's it is creeping in.

My best swings happen, and this is where my full swing practice is, when my lead shoulder works down and the hands feel like they're going more up. The in part of it for depth isn't an issue. I can get deep. The downswing is about getting my trail shoulder out to the ball with my head staying back. This is tricky for me. If the lower body doesn't work right, I hit it a little heavy. This where my lower body and bad arm swing need to compensate for each other. If my lead knee turns towards the target and my knees seperate slightly...I'm good. Then, the hips can turn as fast they want. If something goes haywire, I stall push or stall flip hook.

It's been good recently. I can even hit 3w off the turf as long as all this ^^^crap happens. But, 3w wood off the deck is the bane of my golf existence when it doesnt.

Should u wander this way. U can try ur swing on Holston.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Thank you, sir. I was in that area 10 years ago. Rented a cabin in the mountains between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.....at the top of the mountain.lol. It was a little scary driving up there. I'm used to land that's flat. It's beautiful there. If I head back that way I'll let you know.

Thank you, sir. I was in that area 10 years ago. Rented a cabin in the mountains between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.....at the top of the mountain.lol. It was a little scary driving up there. I'm used to land that's flat. It's beautiful there. If I head back that way I'll let you know.

We're on a hill that is far from scary but we looked a one house on top a hill. Single lane, paved, snake. Great view but passing a tuck on the wa down was no fun. Owner said they only had to walk up once the previous winter - not a good sales pitch. We cancelled all further mountain home showing on the spot.

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

Unfortunately, this is our version of a cowboy

I confess that I have seen the Naked Cowboy live in NYC and that there are things I wish that I could unsee.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

http://www.nbcnews.c...ing-lot-n590176

This happened right down the road from where I played golf all last year about 15 minutes from my house. The Wal-Mart is on the main highway, but there are horse properties nearby. Too funny.

We bought a car today from a guy who was the assistant pro at the club I play now and he told us the story. Hard to believe, but obviously happened, too good to make up.

It has been a crazy weekend, starting with a guy in our game (the group right behind us) making a Hole-in-one on Friday.

Man now you guys have me wondering if my tempo is too slow LOL

The longer I sit in this house, the more I pick apart my swing, the more I want everything to be textbook. It's a slippery slope.

The good news, I have improved my set up position, no more crowding the ball. I have shortened my backswing somewhat successfully. I have cured my inside, forearm rolling takeaway. But for the life of me I can't get my hips to work properly. I think I'm gonna have to do butt to wall drills everyday for the rest of the year or something. I mean, I don't have a huge EE problem, it's slight. I just don't understand why I can't get it.

Now that I've said all of that, I have absolutely no idea how this will translate to actually hitting golf balls. Hopefully sometime in the next 10 years I'll know LOL

GLK, great videos! Two of my favorite drills. As a matter of fact those are the 2 drills I will do over and over when I get back out on the range. Especially the second one, my coach used to make me hit a large bucket doing just that one drill, I used to hate it, but it really made by ball striking awesome. I should probably be doing those everyday, I'll start tonight.

The longer I sit in this house, the more I pick apart my swing, the more I want everything to be textbook. It's a slippery slope.

The good news, I have improved my set up position, no more crowding the ball. I have shortened my backswing somewhat successfully. I have cured my inside, forearm rolling takeaway. But for the life of me I can't get my hips to work properly. I think I'm gonna have to do butt to wall drills everyday for the rest of the year or something. I mean, I don't have a huge EE problem, it's slight. I just don't understand why I can't get it.

Now that I've said all of that, I have absolutely no idea how this will translate to actually hitting golf balls. Hopefully sometime in the next 10 years I'll know LOL

Your tempo is superb. Do NOT mess with that inside your swing. If you do I'm renting a submarine and will infiltrate your island and hunt you down. lol I'm the guy who counted down your tempo frame by frame and its perfect!

As goes your knees and belly - so goes your hips. I relate to wall drill stuggles - did me no good other than to add unwanted tension. (which may leave you doubting your gorgeous tempo). The way to a golfers hips is through his knees and belly! LOL

Your tempo is superb. Do NOT mess with that inside your swing. If you do I'm renting a submarine and will infiltrate your island and hunt you down. lol I'm the guy who counted down your tempo frame by frame and its perfect!

As goes your knees and belly - so goes your hips. I relate to wall drill stuggles - did me no good other than to add unwanted tension. (which may leave you doubting your gorgeous tempo). The way to a golfers hips is through his knees and belly! LOL

Thank you Reasy!

Yeah the wall drill doesn't seem to translate to the actual swing for some reason, for me. Basket drill or should I say shoe box drill is what I need!