2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

BIG STU, you are going to take a minor hit in the workability and feel department with those CBs. And every now and then you are going to nuke one like that 4i.

Actually I can work them pretty good because they are soft as a Mizuno and do feel buttery. I know this sounds odd but they have always felt as soft as my MP-33s used to. they actually feel softer than any Macgregor iron but Macs were not known for their soft feel. I actually don't work the ball as good as I used to because my hands do not work as good as they used to and the ball has changed so much. For some reason with that set I have always nuked that 4 iron even when the lofts were jacked. Actually when I was checking them last night and had my cheater glasses on I was beginning to see wear marks in the sweet spot on the PW , 9 and 8 iron of course in the developement stages i hit a lot of balls with those 3 irons and in the shaft stages the shafts were changed out in those 3 clubs the most.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

That tournament just made you realize you have game. Plus after feeling tournament pressure a casual round feels sooo much easier. I say just keep it going, don't overthink it and keep your killer instinct, go win it!

No worries, it's pretty damn expensive to fly anywhere from here, except the Philippines. I'll DEFINITELY be coming out. Could be March, but most definitely June/July next year. My whole family is going out to Seattle I think so I might tag along then. Chambers was fun, I wish I could go play it now. You should give it a whirl, fun course!

I had been working the tempo so hard and it came together over the tournament. I think of it like a crucible, you come out work hardened. Saludos to all!

That tournament just made you realize you have game. Plus after feeling tournament pressure a casual round feels sooo much easier. I say just keep it going, don't overthink it and keep your killer instinct, go win it!

No worries, it's pretty damn expensive to fly anywhere from here, except the Philippines. I'll DEFINITELY be coming out. Could be March, but most definitely June/July next year. My whole family is going out to Seattle I think so I might tag along then. Chambers was fun, I wish I could go play it now. You should give it a whirl, fun course!

My brother played Chambers last week. He said it was much greener than the US Open and in very nice condition. He played in a scramble T and they went -15 and only left 2 shots out there. It was only good enough for 3rd. Scramble scoring is suspect but can be a good time once in a while.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

My brother played Chambers last week. He said it was much greener than the US Open and in very nice condition. He played in a scramble T and they went -15 and only left 2 shots out there. It was only good enough for 3rd. Scramble scoring is suspect but can be a good time once in a while.

Awesome! When I played in 2010 it was nice and green too, I thought it was a great course. I've never played anything like it, plus the courses I play here have TINY TINY greens, those greens where like 8 times larger than what I'm used to. Can't wait to play it again someday!

-15 is some fancy shooting scramble wise, especially there!! Yeah, I've seen people cheat or try to. I'd then proceed to count all their shots for them out loud, they then agree :D

Confession time: I am finally stepping out of my comfort zone and signing up for The club championship at the course I play at/MA part time member of. I am doing the net division as there's no way I could even remotely come close in the gross, but feel like this will really help me break into the next level of my game as I am a very competitive person and I think all it needed lately to really push me is some actual competition. It is a two day event starting on the 24th, I'm going to try and get some good rounds in before hand. Lately my chipping and putting have been phenomenal. Haven't been hitting a lot of greens, but I've been averaging 28 pots the last six rounds due to chip in close or having Great distance control on my like puts lately. Any advice from anybody?

Forever Changing at this point.......

Confession time: I am finally stepping out of my comfort zone and signing up for The club championship at the course I play at/MA part time member of. I am doing the net division as there's no way I could even remotely come close in the gross, but feel like this will really help me break into the next level of my game as I am a very competitive person and I think all it needed lately to really push me is some actual competition. It is a two day event starting on the 24th, I'm going to try and get some good rounds in before hand. Lately my chipping and putting have been phenomenal. Haven't been hitting a lot of greens, but I've been averaging 28 pots the last six rounds due to chip in close or having Great distance control on my like puts lately. Any advice from anybody?

Awesome!! And hope all is well out your way Brother!

My advice, don't overthink your game. Stick to your routine AT ALL TIMES. Play smart, a good game plan will help, so when you get out and play the course for your practice rounds take notes of clubs hit on par 3's, also I find if there is a hole where I'm uncomfortable off the tee I'll stay there (if no one is behind me) and hit multiple tee shots just to get comfortable. Also, don't take score when playing your practice rounds, focus on the game plan and studying the course.

Remember everyone gets nervous. Sometimes when I'm nervous I'll take a look around and soak everything in, enjoy nature, smell the grass, stuff like that. Golf is just golf, the nerves come from the brain building the situation up. Most important factor is HAVE FUN! I'm sure this tournament will be the beginning of many :)

The thread title says it all; I was playing this afternoon with a couple of friends and hit a weird sounding and dead feeling knuckle ball with my driver on the third hole about 200 yards. Split right down the centreline of the sole from the point at which the cup face would have been welded on. Not exploding, but cracked nonetheless! Even a guy with an 85 mph swing speed can break a driver now the way they build them! :huh:

Ending up hitting 3W off the tee the rest of the day and had one of my better driving rounds all season! Guess there's no hurry to replace the lame dog... :glare:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

My advice, don't overthink your game. Stick to your routine AT ALL TIMES. Play smart, a good game plan will help, so when you get out and play the course for your practice rounds take notes of clubs hit on par 3's, also I find if there is a hole where I'm uncomfortable off the tee I'll stay there (if no one is behind me) and hit multiple tee shots just to get comfortable. Also, don't take score when playing your practice rounds, focus on the game plan and studying the course.

Remember everyone gets nervous. Sometimes when I'm nervous I'll take a look around and soak everything in, enjoy nature, smell the grass, stuff like that. Golf is just golf, the nerves come from the brain building the situation up. Most important factor is HAVE FUN! I'm sure this tournament will be the beginning of many :)

Hey man ya things have been good. Just working a lot and trying to get out to hit a bit.

Game plan I think I have down. I know this course almost like the back of my hand. I almost never have to pull my rangefinder out on par 3 or on most approaches on the par 4s. I like the idea of going to the holes that I tend to have issues with on the tee box. Two come into mind immediately haha. One thing I know I have to work on though is tee box selection. Most of rounds out there are fun and just hanging out and we hit drivers on most holes just because when in reality there's 3-4 holes I can hit my 3 iron and be around 150-170 out.

I'm not expecting nerves to be too problematic because I do like pressure but I have never been in a situation where it would come up during golf. Im just happy my strengths are putting and wedges inside 50 yards. I hope to get 2 or so rounds in before next Saturday just to work on random things.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes.

The thread title says it all; I was playing this afternoon with a couple of friends and hit a weird sounding and dead feeling knuckle ball with my driver on the third hole about 200 yards. Split right down the centreline of the sole from the point at which the cup face would have been welded on. Not exploding, but cracked nonetheless! Even a guy with an 85 mph swing speed can break a driver now the way they build them! :huh:

Ending up hitting 3W off the tee the rest of the day and had one of my better driving rounds all season! Guess there's no hurry to replace the lame dog... :glare:

Dang that sucks!! Hopefully you can send it in and get a new one, if it's a Callaway they might give you a brand new one.

Glad the 3 wood ended up being great off the tee, perhaps you could look into shortening your driver while it's down, of course assuming you play yours at 45" or longer. I'm thinking of playing mine at 44.5, haven't decided yet. :)

Welcome back, all who dared to visit us again recently.

scomac2002, a chair has automatically been assigned to you.

The rest of you have to have noticed, that your's has not been moved away from the table.

It's been a while (too long) since I started a post with: TOOL(ed)!!!! :yahoo:

IMHO, our Confessions Thread has taken a Major Blow, when it was hit with a senseless mutiny. :search:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Hey man ya things have been good. Just working a lot and trying to get out to hit a bit.

Game plan I think I have down. I know this course almost like the back of my hand. I almost never have to pull my rangefinder out on par 3 or on most approaches on the par 4s. I like the idea of going to the holes that I tend to have issues with on the tee box. Two come into mind immediately haha. One thing I know I have to work on though is tee box selection. Most of rounds out there are fun and just hanging out and we hit drivers on most holes just because when in reality there's 3-4 holes I can hit my 3 iron and be around 150-170 out.

I'm not expecting nerves to be too problematic because I do like pressure but I have never been in a situation where it would come up during golf. Im just happy my strengths are putting and wedges inside 50 yards. I hope to get 2 or so rounds in before next Saturday just to work on random things.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes.

That's great you know the course, so then I would definitely focus on the trouble tee shots. Fairways or at least a playable tee shots or very important, so I say hit something that your comfortable with for sure.

I'm sure you'll be just fine Bro! And glad things are all good out your way too!

Good luck Papa J!

Welcome scomac.

Mutiny is as Mutiny does. No one was ever obligated to post here. If they don't want to be involved so be it. I'd rather focus on those that remain than lament those that have moved on.

Papa, go in with little expectation. Be aware of tension and stay loose. Hope you have a good experience. Warning you might find yourself even more addicted to this great game.

Good luck Papa J!

Welcome scomac.

Mutiny is as Mutiny does. No one was ever obligated to post here. If they don't want to be involved so be it. I'd rather focus on those that remain than lament those that have moved on.

Papa, go in with little expectation. Be aware of tension and stay loose. Hope you have a good experience. Warning you might find yourself even more addicted to this great game.

I'm sure that's exactly what will happen haha

Dang that sucks!! Hopefully you can send it in and get a new one, if it's a Callaway they might give you a brand new one.

Glad the 3 wood ended up being great off the tee, perhaps you could look into shortening your driver while it's down, of course assuming you play yours at 45" or longer. I'm thinking of playing mine at 44.5, haven't decided yet. :)

As fate would have it the implement in question is indeed a Callaway product; Diablo Octane to be precise. Mind you that is several model years along so I wouldn't hold out hope for a replacement, but I suppose nothing ventured...

I've always gotten along pretty well with a 3W off the tee. My current one plays at about 44" I think. I have no idea why they sell them that long other than a blatant attempt at juicing distance. If I put it beside my original Callaway Big Bertha War bird driver from the 90's they look like pretty much the same club. Same length and same footprint. At any rate, considering I hit the 3W basically the same distance as my driver I'll finish the season with it as my primary tee club.

Funny thing is that the way I got a hold of my current 3W was as a warranty replacement from Cobra for my previous 3W that had a cracked head, pretty much the same as what the driver is now. I guess I had better run with your suggestion PH! ;)

BTW, thanks for the welcome gentlemen. Happy to be aboard!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Papa. In town for some restaurant week feasts. With weather report you should get out and take advantage. Could break the course record!

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

As fate would have it the implement in question is indeed a Callaway product; Diablo Octane to be precise. Mind you that is several model years along so I wouldn't hold out hope for a replacement, but I suppose nothing ventured...

I've always gotten along pretty well with a 3W off the tee. My current one plays at about 44" I think. I have no idea why they sell them that long other than a blatant attempt at juicing distance. If I put it beside my original Callaway Big Bertha War bird driver from the 90's they look like pretty much the same club. Same length and same footprint. At any rate, considering I hit the 3W basically the same distance as my driver I'll finish the season with it as my primary tee club.

Funny thing is that the way I got a hold of my current 3W was as a warranty replacement from Cobra for my previous 3W that had a cracked head, pretty much the same as what the driver is now. I guess I had better run with your suggestion PH! ;)

It's worth a shot with Callaway, they have excellent customer service!

Also, forgot to say "welcome aboard" haha!

I remember my Callaway Great Big Bertha, I had a 9* with a "strong" flex shaft on it. I loved that club. I also agree that driver playing lengths have become somewhat ridiculous. My new driver, a Callaway 815 is 45.5" long, I knew something was off when I got it. I'm definitely cutting it down, same with the 3 wood.

Papa. In town for some restaurant week feasts. With weather report you should get out and take advantage. Could break the course record!

I am headed out tomorrow morning sometime before 10 o'clock as long as the rain stays away. Let me know if you want to join

Edit: haha just looked to see that we are expected 3-5" of rain from now until tomorrow...... and I just got the reference. sorry i am slow this morning

It's worth a shot with Callaway, they have excellent customer service!

Also, forgot to say "welcome aboard" haha!

I remember my Callaway Great Big Bertha, I had a 9* with a "strong" flex shaft on it. I loved that club. I also agree that driver playing lengths have become somewhat ridiculous. My new driver, a Callaway 815 is 45.5" long, I knew something was off when I got it. I'm definitely cutting it down, same with the 3 wood.

Welcome welcome!

I have also heard plenty of stories where people sent in generations old drivers after cracking during normal play and Calliway sending them a newer model. Doesn't mean it always happen, but it's definitely worth a shot.

LMAO this is the first literal exploding head post! I use a 43.5" 13* 3w as my driver. I prefer it over a 460cc driver.

And Papa J, competitive golf is FUN!!! The adrenaline rush of the added pressure, as Pow-wowian Hammah stated, makes you feel alive!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Glad I could help out with keeping the thread on topic! :lol:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

BIG STU, the grind is going to play different with 3 more degrees of loft and bounce.

3 degrees of bounce is a bunch in the long irons. Did you ever try the 2 and 3? They might have had negative at plus 3.

It only goes to 4 iron but it actually improved the bounce for me before I had a tendency to dig those irons especially the short irons. Since the set does not have a 2 and 3 iron I put the 7 wood back in. Since I got that Adams 3 wood I can hit it high or low

I am headed out tomorrow morning sometime before 10 o'clock as long as the rain stays away. Let me know if you want to join

Edit: haha just looked to see that we are expected 3-5" of rain from now until tomorrow...... and I just got the reference. sorry i am slow this morning

Yep we have a wannabe Tropical storm brewing off the coast of Jacksonville Florida as I type. We are supposed to get about the same amount of rain as you guys

Ya stu apparently fall is a piss poor time for golf here in the low country the past two years

You poor southern golfers get to play golf year round but sometimes it rains. Oh boo-hoo. If rain constitutes a piss poor time to play golf then that is over 50% of all golf in the Pacific northwest.

Registered Bladeocrat

Ya stu apparently fall is a piss poor time for golf here in the low country the past two years

You poor southern golfers get to play golf year round but sometimes it rains. Oh boo-hoo. If rain constitutes a piss poor time to play golf then that is over 50% of all golf in the Pacific northwest.

haha Playing in the rain isn't bad. It's when it rains so much and it floods that the courses have to shut down. Shoot, playing in some weather is fun for the most part. Also, I hate cart path only..... I would walk, but most wont let you here unless you're a member :(

haha Playing in the rain isn't bad. It's when it rains so much and it floods that the courses have to shut down. Shoot, playing in some weather is fun for the most part. Also, I hate cart path only..... I would walk, but most wont let you here unless you're a member :(

The majority of the courses out here get flooded/soggy during the peak of winter. There are only about three courses around Portland that are truly playable when the rain gets really bad. It sucks for sure but I will take it over living where you can't play due to snow. I do like the variety that weather brings to golf, but when it is a constant thing to play round after round in the rain, after a while it gets to you. Also I'm not a fan of courses where carts are mandatory, and then when it is cart path only it really sucks. Might as well allow walking when it gets to that point.

Registered Bladeocrat

We got 6 inches of rain here in 24 hours according to a wunderground station about a long drive from my chucktown townhouse. Recall last October we received 26 inches in three days. And hermine came thru a week or so ago and dumped on chucktown too. There is rain then there is rain. Last fall and winter chucktown was on the receiving end of 40+ inches of rain about 5 months. Already at 10 for September. Hope no repeat of last year.

Papa did you actually play this am? I figured it to still be raining but looks like Julia decided to move more north and out to sea than predicted.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified