2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

Thanks Stu!! I'll check the numbers and add a signature.

Same here on the wedges or irons for that matter, I think my swing and AOA have more to do with the spin than the actual grooves. And I'm with you on the texture milling on these new wedges. If anything I'm looking to control spin more than adding it. Nothing more frustrating than spinning one off the green after landing 4 feet from the hole. I mean, it's nice to be able to hold rock hard greens but when it's soft I really have to watch the spin. That's part of what I will really work on when I get back out there. Distance control, trajectory, and hop and stop shot with all wedges, from all distances.

I remember that Ping broomstick, when I first moved here to Guam in 96' I discovered the golf channel, they would always show the European Tour and I remember Sam Torrence using that model, and it does look like a Banana hahaha. You should paint it yellow LOL

When I have the chance I'm gonna make a bag tag like Ninja! I'll rock the OGA even when I go to these regional AM events LOL, of course I'll have to play buy R&A rules so I don't get DQ'ed though ;) but I will play with OGA spirit, do things MY way, and play MY game, screw everyone else :) . Anything is possible, even some dude from a small island working super hard and making it to the Asian Tour :D

EDIT: OK, hopefully no one has Member #3232, that's what I went with. My goal is to shoot a 64 next year, or a bogey free round.

Sounds like a plan, and a makeable one at that. :fan_1: All the best on your journey. :rockon:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

PJ, I suck royally hitting into an indoor screen off a crappy mat. Even if I compared results like this with a known club, I would still want to hit the new club outside off real turf.

A lot of that indoor monitor stuff is just to give the ignorant golfer the IMPRESSION that there is actual 'data' to prove the new 'technology' you are testing. The only problem is that none of the testing and 'data' collection actually follows any scientific and statistically valid comparison test. It's simply expected that the golfer be ignorant of the fact that the sim may not actually reflect a real world result...they should just "trust" it!!!

(SMH × a bazillion)

Mats, crappy or otherwise, greatly reduce (almost eliminate) slippage that you would have to consider when hitting off turf. That works in the retailer's favor only.

The rep always encourages the customer to hit it as hard as he can: "To get the feel of the club"....! That's a crock if I ever heard one. And why I always walk in with my current clubs...To compare side by side in identical conditions.

I can't handle the reps in those big brand stores. Just leave me alone and I will look at the numbers myself, as compared to my gamer club. Oh, and that FUGLY 'forgiving' club that you want me to try so bad...BTDT...so...GTFOH (please).

ROTFLMAO! I bet if you walked in a typical big box store with your clubs in hand most of them would not have any idea what a Miura is. Some of the idiots around here at the bag drops think they are some kind of clone club. And BTW Ninja you were right about my CB irons I could not feel a thing with them even if they are forged. Did a shaft change on the Muirfields and they are too stiff with the Tour Issue even soft tipped. So the old reliable rusty worn VIPs are back in the bag. Played 9 holes at my home course late today. It had gotten windy and cold and I pushed myself some. Played it from the tips which I have not done in a few years. I had 4 pars one birdie and the rest bogeys so I shot 39 (+3) which aint too bad for an old fat fart. Some interesting approach shots our #1 handicap hole a par 4 up the hill usually into the sea wind was tough today as in any day. I hit a good driver good 3 wood and a full PW to it. Our 8th hole which is a tough par 3 was playing at 205 today uphill with a stiff cross breeze. I busted the 3 wood in the a** still was short but hit a one hopper stop and drop and made par. My wife rode with me and said I need to push myself harder more often

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I can't handle the reps in those big brand stores. Just leave me alone and I will look at the numbers myself, as compared to my gamer club. Oh, and that FUGLY 'forgiving' club that you want me to try so bad...BTDT...so...GTFOH (please).

ROTFLMAO! I bet if you walked in a typical big box store with your clubs in hand most of them would not have any idea what a Miura is. Some of the idiots around here at the bag drops think they are some kind of clone club. And BTW Ninja you were right about my CB irons I could not feel a thing with them even if they are forged. Did a shaft change on the Muirfields and they are too stiff with the Tour Issue even soft tipped. So the old reliable rusty worn VIPs are back in the bag. Played 9 holes at my home course late today. It had gotten windy and cold and I pushed myself some. Played it from the tips which I have not done in a few years. I had 4 pars one birdie and the rest bogeys so I shot 39 (+3) which aint too bad for an old fat fart. Some interesting approach shots our #1 handicap hole a par 4 up the hill usually into the sea wind was tough today as in any day. I hit a good driver good 3 wood and a full PW to it. Our 8th hole which is a tough par 3 was playing at 205 today uphill with a stiff cross breeze. I busted the 3 wood in the a** still was short but hit a one hopper stop and drop and made par. My wife rode with me and said I need to push myself harder more often

That is music to my ears about you ditching the CBs, GrandMaster BIG STU. I will give you your Bladeocrat card back. Welcome back to the light!

And that was a nice way to end a 39. I went 43-41 today. The baby blades were feeling lovely. My short game was just off a bit. I just kept missing some easy up and down chances.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

That is music to my ears about you ditching the CBs, GrandMaster BIG STU. I will give you your Bladeocrat card back. Welcome back to the light!

And that was a nice way to end a 39. I went 43-41 today. The baby blades were feeling lovely. My short game was just off a bit. I just kept missing some easy up and down chances.

Trust me it did not take but 9 holes. When I pull boners like that I always have one of my set of blades in the tool box of the truck. My buddy the Miura dealer and his running partner got me thinking in that direction on digging the CBs back out. Screw em I will play what I want from now on. If you go over to the grille you will find a story on what I did with the 2 iron on that round.

Trust me it did not take but 9 holes. When I pull boners like that I always have one of my set of blades in the tool box of the truck. My buddy the Miura dealer and his running partner got me thinking in that direction on digging the CBs back out. Screw em I will play what I want from now on. If you go over to the grille you will find a story on what I did with the 2 iron on that round.

ROFLMAO only nine holes! That is even more music. When you first posted that you were going to play the CBs, I knew it was just a matter of time before you would go back to blades.

This game is all about controlling spin. And to do that you need to control how much you compress the ball. And the best way for that is to have a surface that smashes into it that is as inflexible and unbending as possible. That way, all the variability in the compression forces is on the ball rather than on both the ball and clubface. When the clubface also has some variable bending characteristics, which is dictated by how it is shaped and its materials of construction, that will change how the ball spins because it won't have a consistent surface to compress against. So it is BEST that the clubface be as flat and unbending as possible at all possible points that impact can occur. And the only iron clubface that does this best is a blade's. There is no other design that will control ball spin better. This is a simple stick hit ball sport. All you need is a simple stick and a simple ball.

Registered Bladeocrat

This game is all about controlling spin having fun.

FIFY

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

FIFY

QOOC

Registered Bladeocrat

Weather has been too wet for golf around these parts. Our soils have too much organic duff and clay to take on this much water without getting too soggy for my enjoyment. Yesterday was the first day of decent weather in a week or more, so I hit the course. Didn't play very well, but I did have fun. Ended up going around for a 3rd nine in a cart after walking the first 2. Was probably a bit overboard for my body, but with the seldom found opportunities to play, I was okay with being a little sore afterwards. Been playing the MP-60's with the Steelfibers and think they will simply be the winter clubs. Considering going back to something like my junior setup of a 1,3,5 woods 4,6,8,PW, 60 and putter. No hybrids. Carry bag. Walking 9. Just like the old days.

Nice MJ! Get out there when you can, I'm absolutely chomping at the bit to get back out there. I swear the legal system is slower than molasses. At least it's 100% confirmed there will be golf in 2017. I still swing everyday, but I'm less obsessed with chasing the perfect swing. I use the ball between my arms to keep the arms and body synchronized, then I just swing without it. I'm mostly doing this just to stay loose, especially since the new workout regimen has added some noticeable muscle mass on the legs and back. Luckily, I'm pretty flexible naturally, but I'm not taking any chances so I stretch daily.

All the putts in my house break towards the liquor cabinet. Not sure what it's trying to tell me...

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

I've got to reevaluate and make some new goals. Putting is vexing me. The more I putt the worse I get. Although I think I 3 putt less. That last round I had a few higher pressure putts, one on 18 and one on 9, that I drained from distance. Gotta take what you can get!

I'd take it. Heck, I'd call that a good day putting!

We should have a little Clubhouse competition -- Who's the worst putter? I know that I would be right in the thick of it! :rolleyes:

Speaking of myself, I think that most of it is between my ears. I've tried every Fancy Dan style of putter with alignment aids galore and it does no good, or at least no better. There maybe a honeymoon period, but that never lasts long. I really think less is better -- see the line; roll ball down the line -- the rest just clutters up the mind's eye.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

scomac2002, I'd be tough competition. I think I'm getting to a better place about it, though.

A couple of thoughts.... (worth less than a penny)

First, I can't stand being accused of slow play. Even if it's relatively unfounded. So, I match my pace to the course conditions. Sometimes that means speeding up my routine over putts. I don't feel like it negatively effects my natural routine and I slide right back into it on a slower day or in a tournament, but I do think I make less putts. So, I can't compromise my method and then be disappointed in results.

Also, I'm starting to figure out that keeping them on line is a process. Some days I start out with perfect timing and form and roll them straight, some days it takes some work on the putting green, sometimes I putt poorly for the first few holes and then improve and vice versa, so although I practice putting a lot it's about managing my stroke on the course. I'm starting to zone in on the timing and tempo of the stroke. I've got to be able to focus on distance on mid to long putts and know it's going to be close to the line and then really be able to roll it to my spot on mid length and in putts.

Here's a one hole synopsis of my game at the moment....

I play a few holes and get sandwiched between two groups as a single, so I wait on the group behind a twosome and basically force myself on them. They turn out to be great guys and we have a nice round together. They're playing from the "senior" tees, so I move up a box. That allows me to reach the 472 yard par 5 16th hole sometimes in regulation. I hit two relatively good shots and find myself about 75 feet from the pin. Downhill putt with a couple of breaks in it that's about six paces from a "false back" that slides off quickly to a collection area. Yup. Run the putt by the hole it catches the down slope and runs about 6 feet off the green. Probably should have gone back for the wedge, but already frustrated by the first putt, and considering it's a casual "practice" round I try and putt it back up the slope to the hole. Leave it about 12 feet short as all the speed gets eaten up by the rough. Drain the 12 footer for par. "Nice par" the fellas say. Nearly a 4 putt, seemingly easy birdie turned into an adventurous par.

FIFY

QOOC

Urban Dictionary hasn't yet defined QOOC......So, ????????

All the putts in my house break towards the liquor cabinet. Not sure what it's trying to tell me...

Only way to be sure, is to open the cabinet doors. How do they say?.......Be the ball???

FIFY

QOOC

Urban Dictionary hasn't yet defined QOOC......So, ????????

Quoted Out Of Context.

Registered Bladeocrat

Heading to the Rose City on Sunday for a couple days worth of new hire orientation. Officially a Federal drone effective today @ noon.

Got another set of VIPs coming in the mail this week. A great fellow Wrxer from the classic side PMed me Friday and asked if I wanted them for free. He sent pics and they are just like mine. Sent him my info and he sent them off today along with some specs on how he had them set up. Will absolutely do something with them.

Now DeNinja is going to jerk my Bladeocrat card (again) for this but after selling one of my sets of Infiniti TS-10 forged CBs ( I kept the original R&D set that was custom ground for me) I messed around and bought a set of pristine stock old T-Bag TM-200 irons cheap. Hit them at my other friends shop and did some impressive numbers on his launch monitor. I thought they were jacking around with me so I took those darn things to the range and man they hit good. They hit like my old MP-33s only higher and further. I did my research on them tonight and absolutely can not believe they are NOT forged and did the loft and lie specs and they are not but 2* stronger than the Macs. May play them tomorrow in a small match but rest assured the VIPs will be in the tool box of the truck. I do not play or practice as much as I used to so my ball striking is off some

Heading to the Rose City on Sunday for a couple days worth of new hire orientation. Officially a Federal drone effective today @ noon.

Well at least I know my tax dollars are paying a good person's salary now

Technically all the Californians who use too much electricity charging their plug-in hybrids will pay my wages. But I will try my best to be one of the good ones. :)

Technically all the Californians who use too much electricity charging their plug-in hybrids will pay my wages. But I will try my best to be one of the good ones. :)

Congrats Master Dan!! Now you can treat me when I come to play golf with you guys :to_become_senile: I kid, good luck on the new digs jive turkey (cool)

Got another set of VIPs coming in the mail this week. A great fellow Wrxer from the classic side PMed me Friday and asked if I wanted them for free. He sent pics and they are just like mine. Sent him my info and he sent them off today along with some specs on how he had them set up. Will absolutely do something with them.

Now DeNinja is going to jerk my Bladeocrat card (again) for this but after selling one of my sets of Infiniti TS-10 forged CBs ( I kept the original R&D set that was custom ground for me) I messed around and bought a set of pristine stock old T-Bag TM-200 irons cheap. Hit them at my other friends shop and did some impressive numbers on his launch monitor. I thought they were jacking around with me so I took those darn things to the range and man they hit good. They hit like my old MP-33s only higher and further. I did my research on them tonight and absolutely can not believe they are NOT forged and did the loft and lie specs and they are not but 2* stronger than the Macs. May play them tomorrow in a small match but rest assured the VIPs will be in the tool box of the truck. I do not play or practice as much as I used to so my ball striking is off some

I will keep your card safe as long as you keep a set of blades in the tool box. 2* of loft is significant!

I bet you would get even better results on the monitors and course with a set of baby blades and the shaft of your choice. The BB compact head compresses the ball consistently and the clubface control is so easy. I have switched to my Retro TBs for the off season and I am losing half a club with them as compared to my baby blades. They have Rifle 5.0s and the BBs have NS Pro 950s R-flex. Lofts are identical. It may just be the swingweight difference but I still think the head size and design plays into things.. The Retros are D3 and the BBs are D1.5. When I step on the Retros and load them hard, they go just as far, but with a smooth swing, the BBs go the farthest.

Shot 45-38 yesterday with the Retros and that kind of shooting has been my whole season in a nutshell. I could never put back to back sub 40 nines together. And I shot more nines under 40 this season too. Here's a pic of the Retros:

And BTW the more technically that I am trusting my swing, the more I am just feeling it. All of my physics analysis of the swing over the last two years and learning on the confessions threads has been paying off. I can at last relate my feel swing to my mechanical one. Now I just focus on making my actions consistent. You are right, though. You gotta just feel the swing. There is no room or time in your head for mechanics in the midst of it.

Registered Bladeocrat

I will keep your card safe as long as you keep a set of blades in the tool box. 2* of loft is significant!

I bet you would get even better results on the monitors and course with a set of baby blades and the shaft of your choice. The BB compact head compresses the ball consistently and the clubface control is so easy. I have switched to my Retro TBs for the off season and I am losing half a club with them as compared to my baby blades. They have Rifle 5.0s and the BBs have NS Pro 950s R-flex. Lofts are identical. It may just be the swingweight difference but I still think the head size and design plays into things.. The Retros are D3 and the BBs are D1.5. When I step on the Retros and load them hard, they go just as far, but with a smooth swing, the BBs go the farthest.

Shot 45-38 yesterday with the Retros and that kind of shooting has been my whole season in a nutshell. I could never put back to back sub 40 nines together. And I shot more nines under 40 this season too. Here's a pic of the Retros:

And BTW the more technically that I am trusting my swing, the more I am just feeling it. All of my physics analysis of the swing over the last two years and learning on the confessions threads has been paying off. I can at last relate my feel swing to my mechanical one. Now I just focus on making my actions consistent. You are right, though. You gotta just feel the swing. There is no room or time in your head for mechanics in the midst of it.

I love the retros they remind me of the VIPs. Those 200s I can not believe they are NOT forged Actually I thought they were. I had hit my buddy's Miura CB 1s the other night and man did they feel good. I got a heck of a deal on the 200s and they are pristine looks like they have been in a closet forever. I also thought that they were some of the sets rumored to have been Miura forged, When I did my research on the computer last night I found out they were not forged at all and they were made in 01-02. Believe it or not I can work the ball with them and they have incredible feel. those things are stupid easy to hit and do not have hot faces. I am working on a deal to possibly change jobs after the first of the year and if the deal goes through I may be back in the golf business again full time. That will give me more time to practice and play.

I love the retros they remind me of the VIPs. Those 200s I can not believe they are NOT forged Actually I thought they were. I had hit my buddy's Miura CB 1s the other night and man did they feel good. I got a heck of a deal on the 200s and they are pristine looks like they have been in a closet forever. I also thought that they were some of the sets rumored to have been Miura forged, When I did my research on the computer last night I found out they were not forged at all and they were made in 01-02. Believe it or not I can work the ball with them and they have incredible feel. those things are stupid easy to hit and do not have hot faces. I am working on a deal to possibly change jobs after the first of the year and if the deal goes through I may be back in the golf business again full time. That will give me more time to practice and play.

I just looked at some tm-200 pics. The Miura cb57 muscle is similar. That vertical muscle inside the cavity is what makes it workable and gives it a solid feel. It is sort of like a bridge that spans the face from top to bottom. And then the cavity makes it feel stupid easy to hit. Also the cavity and that vertical muscle is what makes the face "hot". All the "hot" face is doing is taking off spin (all other things equal). Instead of the ball compressing against a solid muscle, that vertical muscle in the tm-200 flexes just a little more than a blade muscle. This takes off ball spin, making it seem "hot" (not to mention the extra 2* of JACKED loft). A design like that is going to hit the ball farther than a 2* less lofted blade, but it still won't feel as precise and also it won't be as precise as a blade when you absolutely need to hit the perfect shot.

The only real issue with the design is the wider sole.

Let me know when you want your card back.

Registered Bladeocrat

I've been shopping irons lately. I might buy a set of Bridgestone J15's. Just purchased 10 DG S200 wedge shafts... don't ask me why !?!

I'm going to build a set of S200 irons, but I don't know that I needed 10 wedge shafts, :)

They averaged out to be $2 a piece after shipping, so what the hell. I figure I can use them in putters or whatever else if need be. I have that whole set of R300 pulls right now, I should probably get rid of them to somebody who would use them.

I'd like to just go order a set of AP2's with whatever shaft a good clubfitter puts me in, but the budget is too tight for that at the moment. Maybe in the spring. I should consolidate and sell off all my extra junk and see how much money I've got. When I got access to that Trackman last spring I fit myself in the C Tape Lite in Stiff, but there wasn't an S200 to try. I think I might just be a True Temper Dynamic Gold kind of guy.

Congratulations dan360,

Am I to read "a permanent, lifetime, Government Job"? :yess:

Hybrid plug-ins are still considered "new" to the market. :good:

Matt J I have hit both extensively and there is nothing the AP2 does better than the mp60. mp60 >> AP2.

Registered Bladeocrat

Like saving 15% with Geico---"Everybody knows that"! :fan_1:

We've been trying to tell you for years. :rofl:

Jk'ing

I love the retros they remind me of the VIPs. Those 200s I can not believe they are NOT forged Actually I thought they were. I had hit my buddy's Miura CB 1s the other night and man did they feel good. I got a heck of a deal on the 200s and they are pristine looks like they have been in a closet forever. I also thought that they were some of the sets rumored to have been Miura forged, When I did my research on the computer last night I found out they were not forged at all and they were made in 01-02. Believe it or not I can work the ball with them and they have incredible feel. those things are stupid easy to hit and do not have hot faces.I am working on a deal to possibly change jobs after the first of the year and if the deal goes through I may be back in the golf business again full time. That will give me more time to practice and play.

I've been openly bragging about this, ever since I got my Ping S-58 set in 2007. :taunt: