Ireland trip, travel questions

I'm heading to Ireland for a week and I'm looking for some travel advice. I'll be staying in the center of Dublin and will be playing Portmarnock and The Island. If I have time I will try and play elsewhere around Dublin.

Will I need to rent a car or will taxis be able to take me to the courses outside of the city center? The courses are both 30 minutes from where I'll be staying.

Anyone use ShipSticks? Anyone trust Aer Lingus with their clubs?

I'm hoping someone has done a similar trip and can give me some tips.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could never drive on the wrong side of the road. No way I'd hire (rent) a car there.

I hear people say that all of the time but it honestly take about 1 min to get used to doing it that way and then it is just as natural as the right side. I've done it a bunch and never had an issue and what I've witnessed is good drivers in the US are good drivers on the other side.

Yeah that might be an issue, but I'd figured it out. Hardest part would be shifting with the left hand!

That takes about another 30 seconds if you already know how to drive a stick. If you don't, well, yeah, no chance. You can rent automatics though.

Driving isn't a major issue. You will have no problems.

You will enjoy both of those courses. I think The Island is one of the world's great sleeper courses. High up on my list of favorite links courses.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

More advice:

1. If you rent a car you can easily get to RCD

2. Even if you don't get there play Baltray over Portmarnock

3. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't imagine a bigger waste of cash than club shipping services. I've used both Ryan Air and Aer Lingus without any issue

4. I've taken golf trips to Ireland ranging from 2 days to 3+ weeks over the course of the last 16 years. Occasionally I have just flown over for a weekend when I've been working in the UK and other times it has been a large organized trip with bunches of other players. Always fun, highly recommended. I love Dublin but love the rest of Ireland far more. Dublin feels like any other city of similar size while the rest of Ireland is special. If you have time, see more than Dublin for sure.

More advice:

3. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I can't imagine a bigger waste of cash than club shipping services. I've used both Ryan Air and Aer Lingus without any issue

4. I've taken golf trips to Ireland ranging from 2 days to 3+ weeks over the course of the last 16 years. Occasionally I have just flown over for a weekend when I've been working in the UK and other times it has been a large organized trip with bunches of other players. Always fun, highly recommended. I love Dublin but love the rest of Ireland far more. Dublin feels like any other city of similar size while the rest of Ireland is special. If you have time, see more than Dublin for sure.

Yes get a car and go play RCD instead of Portmarnock. RCD is just incredible. One of my favorite courses in the world.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

The thing that gives me pause about renting a car is that you are staying in central Dublin. I have driven in several countries on the left side, but I wouldn't have wanted to start out in a city center.

Interesting, I think it is easier to learn in the city because you're always following someone.

That said, DUB is a decent drive (20-40 min depending on traffic) to the city center so you'll have time to practice. It is pretty fun to watch scared US people try to get out of the rental car lot at DUB if yo're waiting in line :)

Also, if you do rent at DUB make sure to pay the toll online. I forgot once and remember regretting that.

Driving isn't a major issue. You will have no problems.

You will enjoy both of those courses. I think The Island is one of the world's great sleeper courses. High up on my list of favorite links courses.

I had never even heard of The Island but the club pro from Portmarnock recommended it. Based on the website and elsewhere online it looks incredible.

More advice:

If I do rent a car then I would make the trip to RCD guaranteed. Trying to figure that out by transit was impossible. I was looking into the Baltray but was recommended to Portmarnock by a friend - I'll have to investigate before I book any tee times. I wish I could get down to Lahinch or Ballybunion but I don't really have the time.

I'm headed over next week... Did Scotland three years ago... You'll adjust quickly to the cars if you just try it.

I'm flying in to Dublin, playing K Club, then RCD, might go play at Corballis Links before RCD so I get the feel of the links turf and style of play..... Then heading west to Killarney, Ballybunion, and Lahinch.... Will try to mix in a few value courses when family time allows....

Good luck and have fun

I'm headed over next week... Did Scotland three years ago... You'll adjust quickly to the cars if you just try it.

I'm flying in to Dublin, playing K Club, then RCD, might go play at Corballis Links before RCD so I get the feel of the links turf and style of play..... Then heading west to Killarney, Ballybunion, and Lahinch.... Will try to mix in a few value courses when family time allows....

Good luck and have fun

Are you playing Tralee or Dooks? Both are good and more reasonable than many. I also liked Waterville as much as the other courses on the southwest swing.

Good luck and have fun

Are you playing Tralee or Dooks?

No... Well, maybe... I don't know.... I want to but it may not work and I don't want to reserve a time and have to pay in advance... So I'm keeping some flexibility in the schedule....

Good luck and have fun

Are you playing Tralee or Dooks?

No... Well, maybe... I don't know.... I want to but it may not work and I don't want to reserve a time and have to pay in advance... So I'm keeping some flexibility in the schedule....

Tralee is very close to Ballybunion, and you may have some latitude getting a teetime there.

I put my clubs in a club glove last bag outer carrier on Aer Lingus and had no problems whatsoever. As long as you have a good outer carrier you'll be fine....Pack two pairs waterproof shoes, rain gloves, and a rain suit/hat. It rains quite a bit off and on. It rained so hard a few times i had to take insoles out of the waterproof golf shoes and stuff newspaper pages in shoe to absorb moisture overnight.

I made the trip to Dublin for some fly fishing/golf this time last year

I played RCD, Portmarnock, and Carton House (was one of the places we fished and not too expensive so we decided to play it as well)

we did everything by Taxi and it wasn't too bad at all. I'd Definitely echo others sentiments to pack a rain suit and expect it to be windy.

[color=#0000ff]PING G410+ [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS T1100 Tour Issue 6.5 75g[/color]
[color=#0000FF]PING G410 LST 3W [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS T1100 6.5 85g[/color]
[color=#A9A9A9]Titleist 818H1 2H [/color][color=#ff0000]Fujikura Atmos HB Black Tour Spec 9X[/color]
[color=#A9A9A9]Titleist U510 4i [/color][color=#ff0000]Project X HZRDUS Black Hybrid Tour Issue 6.5 105g[/color]
[color=#808080]Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 5-PW [/color][color=#ff0000]X100 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 50* F Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]X100 Tour Issue USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* M Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]S400 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#000000]Vokey SM6 Jet Black 58* K Grind [/color][color=#ff0000]S400 Tour Issue [/color][color=#FF0000]USA Ryder Cup Edition[/color]
[color=#0000CD]Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 35" w/ Super Stroke 2.0 USA Ryder Cup Grip[/color]

My dad is currently over there for work for a few months and he said they are having a very rare weather pattern. There were some showers this week but it has not rained much in the past month and a half. Some sort of dry arctic weather pattern. I booked my trip for June 14-20 so hopefully can get 3 rounds in.

I do intend on bringing a full rain suit and a bunch of gloves (I hate rain gloves so I'll use leather until its soaked, then swap). I ended up deciding to go by taxi only so I booked Portmarnock (the 16th) & The Island (the 17th). Might get a round in somewhere cheaper when I land - maybe Carton House or Malahide - if I'm not crushed by the red eye.

• 1 month later...

Just to round out this thread....

I played Portmarnock (all 27), The Island (favorite course I've played, plain and simple), and St. Anne's (bargain and a testy track with the winds). Unfortunately, I had to use rentals at Portmarnock since Aer Lingus decided to leave my bag in Boston, however I was able to get them in time for the remainder of the trip (as well as spending a fortune on new rain gear and shoes since those were in the bag as well!!!).

Portmarnock had an aura about it that is difficult to put into words; you could almost feel the history as you played the course. The Championship 18 was excellent, and it was a true links test. The Yellow 9 (holes 19-27) were very challenging, and using the rental driver (913d2, stock D+) I struggled mightily and could keep the ball out of the knee deep fescue. The true 18 however was the right combination of difficult, fair, and impressive - the par 3 15th truly is one of the great one shotters around. Shot an 80 from the 7100 yard tees to start the trip (probably shot around a 55 on the yellow... gave up keeping score there after the 2nd hole haha).

Luckily, I got to the play the Island 2 days before the Open Qualifier. I had a nice conversation with the head Greenskeeper before the Pro arrived and he said the course was 100% ready for the qualifier, including the rough, green speed, and pin locations. The pro told me to play from the blue dots spraypainted on the tee box if I wanted to play it as it would be played in the qualifier, so of course I didn't pass that up.

I played well, and luckily was hitting excellent pitches and sank putts from all over the place. I shot another 80 that day and after some post-round reflection determined the course was very generous to me that day. Every time I thought I hit a horrible shot, I ended up being saved by a generous lie or kick. Luckiest round I think I've ever played! The dunes, the mounds, and pot bunkers were just awe inspiring and I would definitely rank the Island as my favorite course I've played on (not that I've played many great courses).

I decided to play a final round on Monday before my afternoon flight. I wanted to get on Royal Dublin since it was relatively close to the airport and a renowned course. Unfortunately Jack Nicklaus had rented the hole place out so that didn't happen. Instead I stayed on Bull Island and played St. Anne's for a meager 50 Euro (bargain of the trip!). My tee time was before the pro shop actually opened, so the groundscrew let me go off and told me to just pay later (very nice people in Ireland!). The course was in good, though not fantastic, shape and certainly worth the 50 Euro. Shot an 81 here due to some crazy winds, missed putts, and dashy ball striking.

All in all it was a great trip, spent some time in Dublin with my Father drinking plenty of Guinness and Smithwick's (his work apartment is a whopping 20 yards from the Temple Bar district) and played some great links.