Macgregor VIPs

I'm in the market for a new set of irons. I was going to all out on a custom set of Mizuno MP-4s, but a session at the range alongside my set of Mizuno MS-11 (TP-11 in Europe) made me reconsider. However, I find I am hitting the MS-11s higher than I really want, and I think this is due to the soft shaft (Brunswick 5.5). So now I'm thinking of either getting another old set of MS-11s (leaving what I like alone) and reshafting the new set to fit my swing, or keeping my MS-11s as is, and getting a set of Macgregor VIPs (Nineties remake probably) and reshafting them to fit my specs. OK, so why the Macs all of a sudden? Well, I think they make some of the prettiest irons around, and I've had a bit of a soft spot for them since Curtis Strange won a couple of US Opens with them back in the late Eighties.

Couple of Questions, then.

Are they as good as they look (yes, I know this is a bad question).

And:

Are the shafts with the older, 60s original version pinned? In fact, even with the newer 80/90s version, can the shafts be easily swapped out?

Any help is appreciated. Especially opinions on how good these irons were/are.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catchy-

Try before you buy, and

The shaft is everything.

The MacGregor Split Level soles came out with some VIP models. Some came with the 1 Stiff Flex shaft.

Try before you dis them.

I'll be buying off Yahoo Auction in Japan, so unfortunately I won't have the chance to try them. What I'll probably do is try them with whatever shaft they have, then put my preferred shaft in the PW or 7i (or both) to try it out, and if that works reshaft the whole set that way.

Catchy,

I have a set of split soles and Nicklaus Muirfield VIP's.

I'd be willing to pass either of them along to you for shipping plus $20.00

Let me know,

Kurt

Thank you, that's a very kind offer, and the Nicklaus Muirfields are very much what I'm looking at. However, the shipping costs to Japan are likely to exceed the price I can buy them at here. I'll have a look into shipping costs, but I suspect a full iron set will cost well over $100, and probably over $200, whereas if I get lucky on the auction site here I can get a 2-PW set for around $100~$150.

Catchy the regular VIPs and the remakes are great clubs just look at my signature and what I play. Like OSR said the split soles are crap and so are the Syncrolite heads. Now the Muirfields are close to the VIPs in fact I have a rechromed set now that my next big project is to reshaft since they have S-400s in them and i do not have enough lead left in this old pencil to hi them. IMHO any good Mac heads regardless of the heads with the exception of the 2 sets I mentioned are worth messing with even if you have to reshaft. Now remember those old Macs are made of a harder steel so you will not get as buttery of a feel as anything JDM but they have a great feel of their own and hit pure

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I should add, are there any Macgregor blades I should avoid?

Not interested in their modern offerings, and only interested in their blades.

Not to be a smart aleck but that crap Golfsmith calls Macgregor aint a Macgregor at least in my eyes

Catchy the regular VIPs and the remakes are great clubs just look at my signature and what I play. Like OSR said the split soles are crap and so are the Syncrolite heads. Now the Muirfields are close to the VIPs in fact I have a rechromed set now that my next big project is to reshaft since they have S-400s in them and i do not have enough lead left in this old pencil to hi them. IMHO any good Mac heads regardless of the heads with the exception of the 2 sets I mentioned are worth messing with even if you have to reshaft. Now remember those old Macs are made of a harder steel so you will not get as buttery of a feel as anything JDM but they have a great feel of their own and hit pure

Thanks for the advice and information, BIG STU. I'm looking at the Japanese auctions sites, so there's probably fewer options than Stateside, but there seem to be a few sets of VIPs (remakes), a few anniversary sets, which may be Japan-issue only (and are being sold here for eye-watering sums), and the occasional Muirfield set. Then there's all the Golfsmith MacGregor crap, but I'm not interested in that.

You wouldn't go wrong with a set of Muirfields, but I wouldn't let the pinned hosels of a set of VIPs put you off. There's good advice on here about dealing with the pins, and I've successfully reshafted pinned Hogans just following that guidance. With a bit of care, those pins can be driven out and the shafts saved. If you don't care about saving the original shafts, then I imagine the job is completely straightforward.

One more question, I take it that the original VIPs (1967?) have pinned heads, right? As I want to have them reshafted, I will be better off avoiding pinned heads.

Yep they do but like Birly said the pins are no issue

To be honest, the drilling out the shaft may be difficult. I certainly don't have the tools to do it, and my local golf shop has said before that they can't do it (with a set of pinned Hogans). Anyway, the set I am looking at isn't pinned apparently, so no problem there. I'm not entirely sure what it is I am getting; I've won the auction, so I should get the clubs in a few days. They are VIPS with red crowns on the face at the end of the scoring lines, and the ferrules have three bands on them (five in a way: silver, red, silver, red, silver). I thought the crowns were only on the 67/68 original model, and not the 80s reissue.

what does 'pinned' mean?

It means it has a drift pin through the hosel through the shaft. Back in the day epoxy and glue was not as good as it is now so they did this. If you are perfectly restoring a set then one may drill and install new pins. If one is not concerned with being original and playing them then modern epoxy works great without the pins

If you do replace pinned shafts and go to the trouble of drilling the new shafts to accept a pin, use brass. A brass pin really look snazzy I think. :)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

So, I won the auction, and I now have a set of MacGregor VIPs 2i-SW. I hit the PW, 7i, and 2i today at the range. The feel is great, but I really don't like DG s300 shafts! I was planning on getting them reshafted anyway, so it's not a problem. Not sure about distances compared to my other irons. The lofts are obviously weaker (49* PW, and the 7i is 37*, I think), and the shafts are also shorter. I think with the right shafts these will go a bit further, and then I just have to play a half club to a club more.

However, I still don't know exactly what I have. Here's a couple of pictures, including one of the ferrule and serial number. The 2i has a longer serial number (it's not part of the original set, which the buyer mentioned in the description of the set).

You can also see quite a bit of offset in the PW, which surprised me. Special design for the Japanese market?

So, I won the auction, and I now have a set of MacGregor VIPs 2i-SW. I hit the PW, 7i, and 2i today at the range. The feel is great, but I really don't like DG s300 shafts! I was planning on getting them reshafted anyway, so it's not a problem. Not sure about distances compared to my other irons. The lofts are obviously weaker (49* PW, and the 7i is 37*, I think), and the shafts are also shorter. I think with the right shafts these will go a bit further, and then I just have to play a half club to a club more.

However, I still don't know exactly what I have. Here's a couple of pictures, including one of the ferrule and serial number. The 2i has a longer serial number (it's not part of the original set, which the buyer mentioned in the description of the set).

You can also see quite a bit of offset in the PW, which surprised me. Special design for the Japanese market?

Bro, you can strengthen those lofts 3-4° easy. I took my MT 7i from 37° to 33° and all the irons the same and the bounce was inconsequential. My distance difference between there and my Mizzy 68's is maybe 3-4yds and 6-7yds on my Staff 59's.

All the Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Just got these custom Tourneys from an incredibly kind Gent from Va.

Yep, with Oakmont logo and the ferreles are in their club colors.

Thank you :)

Maddie just brought em to me. You made my week!!

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Not a Mac fan but those clubs are real purty. If you insist on bending the lofts, Richard gives it the okey dokey. Me, I'd just club up, and avoid a strong loft bend on them. With a 2i-SW, playing with original lofts puts you at a modern 3i-GW (likely) though probably with a higher CoG on the irons. Regardless, I'd be happy to play that set as configured, once you get a shaft more to your liking in them.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Apologies, as Maddie informed me that I was wrong on the bend and the lofts on the MTs. As she bends my irons for me she said that she did 3° on the MT's, making my 7i 34° and the others accordingly. Though the modern irons can go to 4°, she recommends no more than 3° on the vintage.

It's like I have my own human fact check and she loves me and cooks dinner for me too, HaHa.

Have a nice evening/day Gents :)

All the Best,

RP

Bro, you can strengthen those lofts 3-4° easy. I took my MT 7i from 37° to 33° and all the irons the same and the bounce was inconsequential. My distance difference between there and my Mizzy 68's is maybe 3-4yds and 6-7yds on my Staff 59's.

All the Best,

RP

Not a Mac fan but those clubs are real purty. If you insist on bending the lofts, Richard gives it the okey dokey. Me, I'd just club up, and avoid a strong loft bend on them. With a 2i-SW, playing with original lofts puts you at a modern 3i-GW (likely) though probably with a higher CoG on the irons. Regardless, I'd be happy to play that set as configured, once you get a shaft more to your liking in them.

I'm going to see what sort of shaft I like first, before I do anything with the lofts. Like Scooter says, I'm quite happy to play the PW as a modern gap wedge, so I can have the PW at 49* (or even bend it to 50*, which will increase bounce), and then probably go 54* and 58*, or just play the PW and SW from the set.

Nice set of Tourneys, RIchard :pimp:

I feel obliged to chime in on bending old clubs for loft....

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. Bending a 7 iron designed to be 38° just so it matches up with a more modern 7 iron loft is silly. The club number is merely a designation of convenience, it has nothing to do with the physics of the golf shot. This stronger iron loft concept is why we have 44° and 43° pitching wedges.

Think in terms of the loft of the club, not the number or letter stamped on the sole. A 38° iron will always be a 38° iron, regardless of whether it say 7, 8, or 9 stamped on it.

If the number on the bottom is of such importance, keep the 8 iron at 42°, fill in the "8" with solder and stamp "9" or "PW" on the sole. Or use tape to cover it and write on the tape with a sharpie. :)

Off soapbox....

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I feel obliged to chime in on bending old clubs for loft....

Personally, I think it's a terrible idea. Bending a 7 iron designed to be 38° just so it matches up with a more modern 7 iron loft is silly. The club number is merely a designation of convenience, it has nothing to do with the physics of the golf shot. This stronger iron loft concept is why we have 44° and 43° pitching wedges.

Think in terms of the loft of the club, not the number or letter stamped on the sole. A 38° iron will always be a 38° iron, regardless of whether it say 7, 8, or 9 stamped on it.

If the number on the bottom is of such importance, keep the 8 iron at 42°, fill in the "8" with solder and stamp "9" or "PW" on the sole. Or use tape to cover it and write on the tape with a sharpie. :)

Off soapbox....

HALLELUYAH!!! Preach it Brother!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.