2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

Does anyone have the HM in the Modus 120 shaft?

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered mine last Friday with the Modus 105 s flex. I went to test driver shafts and came out having to have the HM irons. I have been playing the original Callaway Apex irons with the Nippon 990 unifiex and thought I loved them..... until I hit the HM's! Tested the Steelhead and CF Apex, even with the Modus shaft and the HM just blew them away on the launch monitor and the range. Felt like a pured shot with my old MP 19's (left handed) that had the r300 Sensicore shaft, and that was a pure feel. Cant wait till the new irons arrive, but with a warm weekend coming it's going to be hard if they aren't here by then.

Ordered mine on a Tuesday and they were here the next Tuesday. Pretty quick turn around time.

Cobra King F6
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* AxivCore Black
Adams Super S 19* TM JetSpeed 4H
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW Project X LZ
Cleveland RTX CB 56* & 60*
Cameron Newport 2

Okay guys, here goes my fitting results from todays Mizuno Fitting at my Club.

First of all we did the Mizuno DNA optimizer. Results were 89mph 4,3,3,4.

Tried the MP25's with C-Taper Stiff (no likey)

Then the JPX900 Forged with KBS Tour X flex soft stepped. That's better, shaft feel was so much better, but LA was only 13.4* on average, so a bit low launch.

Right, then the Fitter puts the Hot Metal #6 Iron in my hand, same KBS Tour X SS. Jeeeeeeez! LA was up to 16.6*, 5200rpm spin rate, and ball speeds averaged 123.8mph! This thing is just cheating, ball after ball going high and straight.

I was more than happy to order the full 4-PW in the Hot Metal, but the Fitter still liked the Forged for me in the shorter Irons, so went and ordered JPX900 Hot Metal 4-6 and 7-PW Forged, but the Forged Irons 1* weak.

Can I just say to Ness on here, that I had one shot with the Hot Metal that flew 202y!! That damn flier, but it had 3200rpm of backspin!! After that shot the Fitter made sure the balls were nice and dry, result, no more fliers after that. It didn't put me off, just what I found today with one shot going a bit crazy on me.

Then the JPX900 Forged with KBS Tour X flex soft stepped. That's better, shaft feel was so much better, but LA was only 13.4* on average, so a bit low launch.

Right, then the Fitter puts the Hot Metal #6 Iron in my hand, same KBS Tour X SS. Jeeeeeeez! LA was up to 16.6*, 5200rpm spin rate, and ball speeds averaged 123.8mph! This thing is just cheating, ball after ball going high and straight.

I was more than happy to order the full 4-PW in the Hot Metal, but the Fitter still liked the Forged for me in the shorter Irons, so went and ordered JPX900 Hot Metal 4-6 and 7-PW Forged, but the Forged Irons 1* weak.

Can I just say to Ness on here, that I had one shot with the Hot Metal that flew 202y!! That damn flier, but it had 3200rpm of backspin!! After that shot the Fitter made sure the balls were nice and dry, result, no more fliers after that. It didn't put me off, just what I found today with one shot going a bit crazy on me.

Nice setup man! I went all HM and after a few ranges sessions and one round out of town I ordered the 6-PW in the forged. I am going to run 4/5HM and 6-PW forged. Curious why you went 1* weak with the lofts matching? For spin or launch? I must say I have never been so excited for a golf season!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

Nice setup man! I went all HM and after a few ranges sessions and one round out of town I ordered the 6-PW in the forged. I am going to run 4/5HM and 6-PW forged. Curious why you went 1* weak with the lofts matching? For spin or launch? I must say I have never been so excited for a golf season!

Not for the spin as much as the launch. We thought that the extra bit of spin won't hurt me as much as the lower launch angle would, hence why we went with 1* weak on the Forged. The extra low CG of the HM really works great for me, but as you don't get that same CG on the Forged, we thought it needed that bit of extra 'help'. As I said, I was a whisker away, and told the Fitter that I would have been more than happy to go with all HM, but also respected the Fitters recommendation of the Combo set too. So that's the way we went. :taunt:

Not for the spin as much as the launch. We thought that the extra bit of spin won't hurt me as much as the lower launch angle would, hence why we went with 1* weak on the Forged. The extra low CG of the HM really works great for me, but as you don't get that same CG on the Forged, we thought it needed that bit of extra 'help'. As I said, I was a whisker away, and told the Fitter that I would have been more than happy to go with all HM, but also respected the Fitters recommendation of the Combo set too. So that's the way we went. :taunt:

Awesome man! Enjoy when they get in. Mine were ordered Monday and I have heard that Mizuno has been pretty quick lately on this side of pond!

Bettinardi Queen B

Awesome man! Enjoy when they get in. Mine were ordered Monday and I have heard that Mizuno has been pretty quick lately on this side of pond!

I think so yes. Between 1-2 weeks I think. Is that the timescale you've been quoted too? From what I've read on a few threads I think this seems to be about the norm both sides of the pond?

Well, I'll be doing the same as you in two weeks, The DNA Optimizer was impressive for the short time i was there...Fitting for the Shaft First, than the Irons. I know what I want for Mizuno Irons will be curious what is chosen the the Optimizer

Ironically, I had to ask to hit the KBS Tour X SS, because it wasn't even on the first page of recommendations! And yet, the fitter said that had he been using last years software then it would have been! So just shows, don't always blindly go with what the recommendations come up with. If you have an instinct or gut feeling about something that isn't a recommendation, still ask to hit it. It certainly worked for me. :taunt:

Ironically, I had to ask to hit the KBS Tour X SS, because it wasn't even on the first page of recommendations! And yet, the fitter said that had he been using last years software then it would have been! So just shows, don't always blindly go with what the recommendations come up with. If you have an instinct or gut feeling about something that isn't a recommendation, still ask to hit it. It certainly worked for me. :taunt:

The Fitter I'm meeting with is in the Top 100 by Golf Digest for Fitters in the USA...Updated Equipment and a Great Reputation with Golf Digest...

Well, I'll be doing the same as you in two weeks, The DNA Optimizer was impressive for the short time i was there...Fitting for the Shaft First, than the Irons. I know what I want for Mizuno Irons will be curious what is chosen the the Optimizer

That's about right! I'm just jealous I don't get to play my set with the new JPX S ball!! Those look NICE!

Bettinardi Queen B

Mine are gettin shipped as we speak, just had em pyt together at a shop since mizuno doenst carry the 120s. I can let u know how it is

Yes please! if you can tell us the swingweight, that you be great as well (presuming std length) thank you :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Mine are gettin shipped as we speak, just had em pyt together at a shop since mizuno doenst carry the 120s. I can let u know how it is

Yes please! if you can tell us the swingweight, that you be great as well (presuming std length) thank you :)

they are 1/2" long

D6 SW

Am I being neurotic about this. So I ordered my set of HM and requested I have NDMC grips in midsize so I called mizuno up and they said that the clubs have shipped out already and have reg grips put on with wraps to get them to midsize. I assumed that they had the blue grips in midsize but this is what they did. Am I being crazy because I am bothered by this. I have never played with a built up grip. Always bought and put on midsize. What happens now down the line when I take these off and put midsize on. The SW is gonna be f****d up. I am kind of pissed

Am I being neurotic about this. So I ordered my set of HM and requested I have NDMC grips in midsize so I called mizuno up and they said that the clubs have shipped out already and have reg grips put on with wraps to get them to midsize. I assumed that they had the blue grips in midsize but this is what they did. Am I being crazy because I am bothered by this. I have never played with a built up grip. Always bought and put on midsize. What happens now down the line when I take these off and put midsize on. The SW is gonna be f****d up. I am kind of pissed

If you ordered Midsize and they offer them, then thats what you should be getting. Swingweight because of grip is not something you should concern yourself with though. My concern would be that a regular grip built up will feel different then a midsize grip (built up grips tend to become stiffer). My other concern is quite simple. THATS NOT WHAT YOU ORDERED!!!! Did you order from a local dealer?

Bettinardi Queen B

Yea. I ordered from a local place

I've had this happen to me. In my case, Cobra was out of the midsize grip, and there would have been a multi-week wait to get it. They suggested building up the other grip with tape. They did ask me if that was ok first though. I figure I can always re-grip it if needed (especially since I play Pure grips and they weren't available to order).

Hmm...I ordered through Discount Dan...I asked for the MCC mid-size and the only thing (and was told at the time I ordered) was Mizuno only had them in the black and white...which what I got.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

I wish I knew this as well, if it was black and white I would not have cared. Mizuno said that it goes back to the store cause they put on the form that I wanted the blue grips in midsize so since they do not carry them they are just following the order. I hate to be a pain in the a** about this but this was my first time ordering something custom and I already have a bad taste in my mouth. Should have just done what I always do and gone to flea bay buy them cheaper and make the changes from there..grips and lie angle..

I wish I knew this as well, if it was black and white I would not have cared. Mizuno said that it goes back to the store cause they put on the form that I wanted the blue grips in midsize so since they do not carry them they are just following the order. I hate to be a pain in the a** about this but this was my first time ordering something custom and I already have a bad taste in my mouth. Should have just done what I always do and gone to flea bay buy them cheaper and make the changes from there..grips and lie angle..

If it was ordered from Mizuno by the store like this I am inclined to say the onus falls on the store to make it right. Explain your concerns and their lack of communication and have them replace the grips to the correct ones on their dime. At least that's what I would do. If they have issue with it don't do business with them again. I don't think this is mizuno though. They were just fulfilling the order as entered. Your dealer should know what's avaible!

For instance I install my own grips so I always order "grips uninstalled" mizuno doesn't like sending grips other than factory uninstalled just a policy they have my dealer let me know this before ordering and we situated it before hand.

Anyway problem lays with the dealer!

Bettinardi Queen B

I usually do my own grips as well but this was my first set Ive ever ordered from a company. Anyways I am going to wait until they come in and when I inspect them at the store I will point out that I ordered NDMC in midsize not std built up to midsize. Ultimately I woujld like the clubs shipped backed to mizuno for a regrip and SW measurment to get to D2. I dont want to burn my relationship with the store but this is not what I ordered. Cant wait for this conversation. Not sure how they are going to handle it.

My only wish is that they had more bounce.

How about bending them 2 degrees weak? You'd have more bounce, normal lofts and maybe take off a smidge of offset. I'm considering these and if I were to get them I'd probably think about getting them a little weak. My i20 7 iron is 33 degrees and would be hesitant to move away from that.

exactly.....seems to fix a lot of issues....especially the really low spin numbers I have been seeing from people....I would just bend em as I am seriously thinking about these......

My buddy just got the 900 HM and I was using them in our last round.....very nice club and I usually play muscleback or small players cb's....been playing j15 mb lately....

They really cleaned up short irons in jpx line....they used to look horrid

Very very nice set of irons....but yeah lofts need to be weakened...

I usually do my own grips as well but this was my first set Ive ever ordered from a company. Anyways I am going to wait until they come in and when I inspect them at the store I will point out that I ordered NDMC in midsize not std built up to midsize. Ultimately I woujld like the clubs shipped backed to mizuno for a regrip and SW measurment to get to D2. I dont want to burn my relationship with the store but this is not what I ordered. Cant wait for this conversation. Not sure how they are going to handle it.

that's gonna be a problem....midsized grips are 10 grams heavier in NDMC....swing weights are gonna be light when this set is regripped.....they might have to build you another set.....

And don't be too upset....you would be surprised if you knew how many sets get screwed up thru custom order......it happens a lot so....mizuno ships fast so that's good

My only wish is that they had more bounce.

How about bending them 2 degrees weak? You'd have more bounce, normal lofts and maybe take off a smidge of offset. I'm considering these and if I were to get them I'd probably think about getting them a little weak. My i20 7 iron is 33 degrees and would be hesitant to move away from that.

exactly.....seems to fix a lot of issues....especially the really low spin numbers I have been seeing from people....I would just bend em as I am seriously thinking about these......

My buddy just got the 900 HM and I was using them in our last round.....very nice club and I usually play muscleback or small players cb's....been playing j15 mb lately....

They really cleaned up short irons in jpx line....they used to look horrid

Very very nice set of irons....but yeah lofts need to be weakened...

I would normally agree 100%, as the biggest issue I find is the lack of spin with stronger lofted Irons. However, at my fitting I was still spinning the HM 6iron at 5200rpm. Which for a iron of this genre is perfectly acceptable. And for me, they launch pretty high too, so any weakening of the lofts would only increase that peak height with a higher LA and more spin.

Having said that, everyone is different, so if someone is struggling a bit to launch them with enough spin and bounce is a touch on the low side, then I suppose weakening the lofts is the way to go.

Just received my 6-PW forged. Spent some time on the range today and let's just say 6-GW HOT Metals are listed on the BST if anyone is interested!

Bettinardi Queen B

that's gonna be a problem....midsized grips are 10 grams heavier in NDMC....swing weights are gonna be light when this set is regripped.....they might have to build you another set.....

And don't be too upset....you would be surprised if you knew how many sets get screwed up thru custom order......it happens a lot so....mizuno ships fast so that's good

Clubs have not even come in yet so I am guessing tomorrow at the store. Just hope store works with me cause Mizuno is putting the blame on them...always something

Ordered mine last Friday with the Modus 105 s flex. I went to test driver shafts and came out having to have the HM irons. I have been playing the original Callaway Apex irons with the Nippon 990 unifiex and thought I loved them..... until I hit the HM's! Tested the Steelhead and CF Apex, even with the Modus shaft and the HM just blew them away on the launch monitor and the range. Felt like a pured shot with my old MP 19's (left handed) that had the r300 Sensicore shaft, and that was a pure feel. Cant wait till the new irons arrive, but with a warm weekend coming it's going to be hard if they aren't here by then.

Irons showed up today! Friday order and Friday delivery..... Looks like Saturday's round will be a bit more interesting for me :miz: Gorgeous clubs and SW was a dead-on D2 on all clubs.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

Irons showed up today! Friday order and Friday delivery..... Looks like Saturday's round will be a bit more interesting for me :miz: Gorgeous clubs and SW was a dead-on D2 on all clubs.

Placed an order for mine on Monday got here this morning! Can't play but will hit the range this weekend forsure!

Bettinardi Queen B