2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

After sleeping on it, I still am torn between the 2 shafts..actually woke up in middle on night thinking about it. I am dropping alot of $ and I want to make sure I get it right and unfortunately I can only go off of a monitor. When I did the optimizer again yesterday it gave me 3 choices again starting with a xp115 soft stepped, nippon 1150 S, and KBS tour R hard stepped. Here are my concerns with each shaft...the Modus 105S..being 105g am I going to over power it when I get my summer swing in or is it going to help me in the long run. I have an upright swing and hit the ball high but I do have a good tempo, on the monitor with a 6i my club head speed was averaging 86. For the Px Lz 5.5 I am wondering if I was able to the weight diff immediately and I will also be putting midsize grips on that will just add to the heaviness of the shaft which overall will increase OEM club weight by 22g. The pro said to go with what ever feels the best and he said he liked the LZ better striclty off the numbers cause they averaged 3 yards more and spin rate was a little lower. I am propbably looking into this too much

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So for the sake of testing and giving you all the information that is needed to make the most informed decision in regards to club head and shaft, I went ahead an ordered a set of 6-PW JPX forged with Modus 105S. Between those and the full set of the HM I am confident I can come back with some feed back. If it wasn't for you all, I would not have done this..... :blush2:

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

Ok. Just left the shop. Hit a bunch of balls and at end of the day the Modus 105s felt better than the LZ 5.5. So that's what was ordered

I think you will be happy with your pick! I love the Modus 105S. Allows me to sing smoother and maintain optimal performance.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

Any of you guys having issues with distance control from your Hot Metal irons?

I played this morning and flew over two different greens.

These irons do help mishits but when I nut the shot dead center in the middle of the face it flies farther than I'm expecting.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

These irons do help mishits but when I nut the shot dead center in the middle of the face it flies farther than I'm expecting.

I wish I could tell you Ness, but we have a few inches of snow on the ground, and freezing rain coming down. No golf here for awhile unfortunately. It is driving me crazy...

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

I have had mine a little over 3 months and probably about 20-25 rounds. I notice an occasional shot that flies a club further that I expect, but I have always dismissed it assuming that I just hit that shot "in the screws". These are my favorite irons I have owned since my TA 845's from years ago.

Well, they are cast of a hot metal. Cast has hot spots. Hot metals have hotter spots. Combine those two and just when you're least expecting it, the ball launches from one of these hot spots and BAM...ball go far.

I kid, I kid! :)

What Is and What Should Never Be

Any iron is going to fly further when you hit it (on the screws.)

I agree

Yes, of course. But not by 10 yards. I flew an 8 iron 170 today which is way past my normal distance for that club. Had an extra long 9 iron today too.

Any iron is going to fly further when you hit it (on the screws.)

I agree

Yes, of course. But not by 10 yards. I flew an 8 iron 170 today which is way past my normal distance for that club. Had an extra long 9 iron today too.

Could there have been some water trapped between the face of the Club and the ball, maybe the properties of the clubhead are more susceptible to 'fliers' now and again in these circumstances......I don't know, just an idea?

Just ordered my Hot Metal's with Recoil 95's. For those of you who play the 95's, what do you guys play in your wedges? 95's? 110's? other?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Just ordered my Hot Metal's with Recoil 95's. For those of you who play the 95's, what do you guys play in your wedges? 95's? 110's? other?

I've got 95's in my irons and 110's in the wedges. The wedge swingweight is up at D5 too to provide a little more feeling of heft.

Could there have been some water trapped between the face of the Club and the ball, maybe the properties of the clubhead are more susceptible to 'fliers' now and again in these circumstances......I don't know, just an idea?

It was wet but I don't think this is the answer. I've been playing these same basic lofts going back to my G25 days, so I know how far my shots should fly, and I've never experienced these sort of anomalies until I recently started to play spring face irons.

Typically, I use the 9 iron up to 145 yards, 150 max. Yesterday I knocked the 9 over the green after lasering the flag, near the back, at 149. On another shot I lasered the flag at 160 and my 8 iron flew at least 10 yards over. I was surprised. I'm not some distance monster like many of the GolfWRX brethren.

Please understand, these two shots didn't ruin my round or anything. And there were at least two other shots where I hit the ball poorly and the club provided some much needed distance. It's just that if you are the type of guy that tends to hit the ball all over the face (like me), and you happen to nut one, the ball will fly FARTHER than you may be expecting. At least that's been my experience.

I've got 95's in my irons and 110's in the wedges. The wedge swingweight is up at D5 too to provide a little more feeling of heft.

It was wet but I don't think this is the answer. I've been playing these same basic lofts going back to my G25 days, so I know how far my shots should fly, and I've never experienced these sort of anomalies until I recently started to play spring face irons.

Typically, I use the 9 iron up to 145 yards, 150 max. Yesterday I knocked the 9 over the green after lasering the flag, near the back, at 149. On another shot I lasered the flag at 160 and my 8 iron flew at least 10 yards over. I was surprised. I'm not some distance monster like many of the GolfWRX brethren.

Please understand, these two shots didn't ruin my round or anything. And there were at least two other shots where I hit the ball poorly and the club provided some much needed distance. It's just that if you are the type of guy that tends to hit the ball all over the face (like me), and you happen to nut one, the ball will fly FARTHER than you may be expecting. At least that's been my experience.

I think Rick Shiels had one go like this in his test of the HM's if I remember rightly. It's almost impossible to prove that anything is culpable in these situations, much as it's almost impossible to dispel anything either I guess.

Tough to play with anything if it gets into your head whilst standing over the ball, with a little guy in your head saying 'is this the one that files over the Green?'

I can't help with any other suggestions other than the water on the face/ball theory I'm afraid Ness.

Same experience with JPX800s. Spring face penalizes you more when you flush your iron shot. Will be looking to get better distance dispersion from shorter irons as I'd rather be penalized for a bad strike and end up short versus going over on a great strike. Could be the case GI spring face irons still help reduce scoring in the shorter irons depending on how consistent your strike is.

Same experience with JPX800s. Spring face penalizes you more when you flush your iron shot. Will be looking to get better distance dispersion from shorter irons as I'd rather be penalized for a bad strike and end up short versus going over on a great strike. Could be the case GI spring face irons still help reduce scoring in the shorter irons depending on how consistent your strike is.

Could be I guess.

Personally I tried them again yesterday whilst doing some stuff with my Pro, and had the C-Taper Lite X flex in it, and whilst it was great fun to hit, it does really spring off the face, and I kinda feel a bit out of control with them if I'm being honest. It's not an unpleasant feeling off the face just very different for me, and I'm not sure if I could play them to be honest.

I had a dabble into GI clubs a couple of years ago with the G30 Irons, and these made me feel the same way. When I had a shorter iron in my hand, it was always there saying' how far is this thing gonna fly?' I only played with the G30's for about 1/2 season such was that disconcerted feeling. Also, down by the ball, the looks are just too large to my eye. I've tried to get over that feeling but when I put the Titleist 716CB's down by he ball, my whole psyche just smiles inside, and the results with the Titleist are suitably more consistent for some reason. Strange what goes on between our ears sometimes?

I'll try the 900 Forged again I think, to see if I can get on with them. If not, then I'll just get the Titleists I reckon!

I've noticed the same thing. Taking variability of contact into consideration, there seems to be a wider range of distance with the HMs than my G20s (PX 5.5) or MP62s (KBS Tour). I have the LZ 5.5 shafts and was expecting a little gain in distance, but that has not been the case.

Overall, there's a lot that I like about the 900s - better off tight lies, seem to have better face control - but, distance control has been lacking. Winter conditions could be partly to blame.

I didn't think Mizuno did shaft up charges.

I went to a 3rd party fitter, and got fit for a shaft that Mizuno doesn't carry. I probably would have been fine with LZ Tour or the Recoil 95. But I figured if I'm going to go spend the money on a fitting and try that many shafts, I might as well go with the one that I got the best.

I didn't think Mizuno did shaft up charges.

I went to a 3rd party fitter, and got fit for a shaft that Mizuno doesn't carry. I probably would have been fine with LZ Tour or the Recoil 95. But I figured if I'm going to go spend the money on a fitting and try that many shafts, I might as well go with the one that I got the best.

What shaft did you end up going with?

Took my new hot metals out today and....I have the shanks. I haven't hit a shank in over a year and didn't shank a single shot when getting fitted. Seemed to get better when backed away from the ball a little more but still only caught a few cleanly. Talk about a confidence killer.

Will hit them again on Friday.

Got mine in today, time i got back from golf shop it was nearly dark. Made a quick run to par 3 course before Valentines Dinner with the wife.

Hit 5 balls with the 9 iron, felt great. Cant wait to play more with them. Supposed to be 60 Friday and Saturday, gotta love Kentucky weather. Will get some time in with them this weekend.

Cobra King F6
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* AxivCore Black
Adams Super S 19* TM JetSpeed 4H
Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 5-GW Project X LZ
Cleveland RTX CB 56* & 60*
Cameron Newport 2

Ordered mine last Friday with the Modus 105 s flex. I went to test driver shafts and came out having to have the HM irons. I have been playing the original Callaway Apex irons with the Nippon 990 unifiex and thought I loved them..... until I hit the HM's! Tested the Steelhead and CF Apex, even with the Modus shaft and the HM just blew them away on the launch monitor and the range. Felt like a pured shot with my old MP 19's (left handed) that had the r300 Sensicore shaft, and that was a pure feel. Cant wait till the new irons arrive, but with a warm weekend coming it's going to be hard if they aren't here by then.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S