Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

I'm playing the Steelhead XR's and was checking out the Hot Metal's today. The HM's have a little more offset but it blends well into the hosel. The HM has a nicer head shape as judged from the playing position (my opinion). Head size wise the the Steelhead's are a tiny bit larger, but not much.

I'm on the lookout for a set of the HM's and it will be a cage match on which become my gamers. I like the tech in the heads. Before playing the Steelheads I was using some Bridgestone J15 Cast irons which were also made from the same/similar "chromoly material". The clubs felt a little clicky when playing with a hard ball but overall I liked those clubs. The finish was very durable too since they were chrome plated.

Found this nifty little description of the tech in the head in terms of forgiveness. Mizuno went after a wide sweetspot but not a huge head size. My only wish is that they had more bounce.

That is a great find, thank you!

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought a set off ebay. 5-PW with AMT shafts (which I'll pull). I've got Recoils and some Nippons in the garage that will get installed.

What do you guys think about the gap wedge? It's quite different from the other clubs in the set.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Bought a set off ebay. 5-PW with AMT shafts (which I'll pull). I've got Recoils and some Nippons in the garage that will get installed.

What do you guys think about the gap wedge? It's quite different from the other clubs in the set.

Nope, imho.That was my question as well when I needed a 50* to complement the juiced lofts of the HM...and in the end, Hicksta "influenced" me into a RTX3.0 50* Cavity Back (although the Muscle Back was good, the CB is more forgiving and hits mortar, after mortar, after mortar to the pin). Plus, its a D4.5 swing weight which is better feel for me than the D0 in the HM gap (I believe)

Note the CB is a wee tag bigger than the MB but its a much, much forgiving head.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

My home shop is offering $100 off when you spend $500 or more today for Black Friday. So that and trading my RSi1's in I can get out the door with the new hot metals for $550 (7-PW). I am just nervous that once I get them I will miss my RSi1's but really need to trade them in to justify the price.

Just curious ... did you pay $550 for 4 clubs AFTER trading in the RSi1s and the $100 discount?

Half the clubs, twice the fun!

Nope, imho.That was my question as well when I needed a 50* to complement the juiced lofts of the HM...and in the end, Hicksta "influenced" me into a RTX3.0 50* Cavity Back (although the Muscle Back was good, the CB is more forgiving and hits mortar, after mortar, after mortar to the pin). Plus, its a D4.5 swing weight which is better feel for me than the D0 in the HM gap (I believe)

Note the CB is a wee tag bigger than the MB but its a much, much forgiving head.

Use what works. I"ve got a 50-55-60 set of Ping Glide wedges which should take care of business.

I only had a 52 before the HM so that left a big gap between the PW and my 56, hence the 50*. Even now, the 50 to 56 is about at its limits but I rarely hit the 56 full shot, just close in work.

Your 50-55-60 sounds like a good combo

Snapped these marketing material while at Roger Dunn:

31209754426_9b40923c0a_b.jpg

30878038760_e0ae5a0e23_b.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pictures, didn't realize they were bad until I got home.

The ball speed off the face seems the most interesting, with the higher face impact improving above 100%...good for compressors, I guess.

My home shop is offering $100 off when you spend $500 or more today for Black Friday. So that and trading my RSi1's in I can get out the door with the new hot metals for $550 (7-PW). I am just nervous that once I get them I will miss my RSi1's but really need to trade them in to justify the price.

Just curious ... did you pay $550 for 4 clubs AFTER trading in the RSi1s and the $100 discount?

Yes that would have been correct. $550 out the door with the $100 discount and $200 for my set. That said, I haven't made the deal. I hit the hot metals again and I am not getting any more distance or accuracy over my current set.

Yes that would have been correct. $550 out the door with the $100 discount and $200 for my set. That said, I haven't made the deal. I hit the hot metals again and I am not getting any more distance or accuracy over my current set.

That sounds like a pretty bad deal. The clubs themselves sell for $112.50 each retail. Four clubs should be $450. With your $200 trade in that's $250.

I'll bet you can find any number of places glad to sell you four irons for 20% over retail and take your RS1's for free. It's a "deal" for the pro shop, not so much for you.

And at any rate, even if it were a smokin'-hot deal never get rid of clubs you like in the hopes that you will like the new ones better.

My own personal rule is never trade in a set of irons that hasn't been sitting in the closet at least a month, unused. It sucks to hate the new clubs and have no way of getting back to the set you like.

Received my HM's today. :D

Comparing them against my Steelhead XR's the HM's are smaller by a noticeable amount. They have more offset too.

I got a great deal on this set but I have to reshaft. I've got some Recoils that need a home so that's how I'm leaning.

Oh, and comparing my Glide 50* wedge against the PW and the they are the same length head. The shape is similar behind the ball too.

Received my HM's today. :D

Comparing them against my Steelhead XR's the HM's are smaller by a noticeable amount. They have more offset too.

I got a great deal on this set but I have to reshaft. I've got some Recoils that need a home so that's how I'm leaning.

Oh, and comparing my Glide 50* wedge against the PW and the they are the same length head. The shape is similar behind the ball too.

Ness,

Once you get the HM's reshafted, I'd like to know how they compare to the Steelhead XR's and the Ping G's you were hitting earlier in the year. I'm considering all 3 of these for next season. I find your opinion valuable.

Those pictures stirred a fond memory.

That little charcoal grey foam insert reminds me of the only Mizuno clubs I ever owned. Picked up a well-used set of [fill in the blank I don't recall MP-something] irons and the previous owner had thoughtfully re-packaged them in the original box, the foam insert, everything. And these were live five year old irons I paid $100-odd for. Mizuno owners probably tend to be more careful like that than some.

That's one set from my hard-core Club Ho days that I sometimes wish I'd given a better tryout to. Used them for nine holes the day I got them, one full round the next week then sold them on for barely enough to cover the shipping. I did that a lot during that period. Kind of nuts. Probably my favorite irons I've ever hit off tees on Par 3 holes. Felt and sounded great at contact, hit the ball high and straight, no idea why I didn't keep them a while.

I know one of you guys must've stripped the paint off these bad boys by now. Let's see um. These were completely off the radar until I stumbled upon a demo day. Would like to get somewhere with a little more time to compare to steelhead xr and Ping g. Although I'm leaning away from Ping right now as I'd like something a little smaller and cleaner looking.

I know one of you guys must've stripped the paint off these bad boys by now. Let's see um. These were completely off the radar until I stumbled upon a demo day. Would like to get somewhere with a little more time to compare to steelhead xr and Ping g. Although I'm leaning away from Ping right now as I'd like something a little smaller and cleaner looking.

Ping G is larger than the HM. More offset too.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ping G and glad I didn’t and got to try the HM instead. The HM’s are much nicer to look at with a nice feel at impact. Granted, they a have a "chunky" look to them but the head is notably smaller yet retains a large sweet spot. For me this is perfect.

Compared to what I am used to they were ridiculously forgiving. A smaller head helped keep my swing more focused whilst a larger sweet spot provided the required forgiveness. During the dynamic lie test with a 6i I hit 5 balls with some easily 1” away from the middle towards the heel and toe. Bizarrely all 5 shots remained straight and within 2-3 yards of each other, and the contact felt exactly the same. Averaged 204yds with range balls according to the trackman with dispersion that I had never seen with any other club/shaft combo.

My only concern is an obvious lack of feedback from off centre hits but at the moment I’m not sure I really care if the result is the same. I have other clubs such as MP33’s that I use for practice when I require more feedback.

I will report back once I get them on the course.

I disassembled my clubs last night. The epoxy broke down very easily. Mizuno (or their head maker) seems to adjust head weight by removing material at the bottom of the hosel because some heads seemed to have extra space below the shaft insertion stop and others don't. There was a fair bit of rust at the bottom of the hosel. That's not overly unusual for a carbon steel head but these seem to have more than usual though.

I didn't bother to weigh the heads but I did carefully check swingweight on each club before gluing them up and they turned out nicely without the need for any lead. I'm using some Recoil 110 F4's and targeting a low D swingweight. The hosel depth and the bottom of bore to ground dimension is conventional so these clubs are easy to reshaft. Thankfully, Mizuno has held onto build conventional length clubs up to this point which is nice compared to some other companies that use crazy long and light shafts, and funny weighted heads to match.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Ping G and glad I didn’t and got to try the HM instead. The HM’s are much nicer to look at with a nice feel at impact. Granted, they a have a "chunky" look to them but the head is notably smaller yet retains a large sweet spot. For me this is perfect.

Compared to what I am used to they were ridiculously forgiving. A smaller head helped keep my swing more focused whilst a larger sweet spot provided the required forgiveness. During the dynamic lie test with a 6i I hit 5 balls with some easily 1” away from the middle towards the heel and toe. Bizarrely all 5 shots remained straight and within 2-3 yards of each other, and the contact felt exactly the same. Averaged 204yds with range balls according to the trackman with dispersion that I had never seen with any other club/shaft combo.

My only concern is an obvious lack of feedback from off centre hits but at the moment I’m not sure I really care if the result is the same. I have other clubs such as MP33’s that I use for practice when I require more feedback.

I will report back once I get them on the course.

I actually had the G irons with XP95 shafts and I really wanted to like them but they just did not work for me. Ended up trading them in for the Hot Metals with the Recoil 95 shafts, so much better for me. Distance and dispersion is much better and the feel is amazing, very close to a forged iron... not an MP forged but more like a JPX-850f or Srixon Z-545 forged feel.

Anyone try these with the Project X LZ tour graphite against the recoils? LZ is lower torque and 90 grams.

I hit the LZ and the recoils along with some other light weight steel shaft back to back on a closed driving range with my gamer ball a Callaway Supersoft. To answer your question the LZ,s launched really high for me and I am a low ball hitter. I had my retail shops demo six iron so I could change shaft and keep hitting and I really liked the LZ allot but I was concerned with my shorter irons the LZ would balloon so I went with the recoils. I also lost a few shots left (I am left handed) with the LZ that I thought was a bit odd. Distance wise the recoils averaged about 3-4 yards further not a deal breaker by any means for the LZ. Feel wise for me the recoil just felt a touch nicer off the face to me. I cant quite describe the difference in feel between the two, maybe the recoil just felt a bit more stable to me even though the LZ is a lower torch shaft.

YMMV but the really high ball flight was awesome with a six iron but scared me off that it may be too high in the long run.

My only wish is that they had more bounce.

How about bending them 2 degrees weak? You'd have more bounce, normal lofts and maybe take off a smidge of offset. I'm considering these and if I were to get them I'd probably think about getting them a little weak. My i20 7 iron is 33 degrees and would be hesitant to move away from that.

Driver: Wishon 919thi 11* w/AXE 6 stiff
FW: Wishon 949mc 16.5* w/AXE FW Stiff
3-4 Hybrids: Wishon 775hs w/ S2S White Stiff
Irons: Miura CB-1008 w/Nippon Modus 105 S
Putter: Ping Ketsch Heavy 34" 2 degrees flat
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0

How about bending them 2 degrees weak? You'd have more bounce, normal lofts and maybe take off a smidge of offset. I'm considering these and if I were to get them I'd probably think about getting them a little weak. My i20 7 iron is 33 degrees and would be hesitant to move away from that.

You might want to call Mizuno and see what they have to say about the idea. Normally I'd say no issue, but that 4140 steel they use is HARD. After assembling my set I checked/adjusted loft and lie and adjusting loft was NOT easy. Fortunately most clubs were bang on the money so I didn't need to mess with them but one club needed a little tweaking and I really needed to lean on it to get just .75*. Interestingly, adjusting lie angle was much easier, sort of like a Ping. Not easy per say, but easier than loft.

You might want to call Mizuno and see what they have to say about the idea. Normally I'd say no issue, but that 4140 steel they use is HARD. After assembling my set I checked/adjusted loft and lie and adjusting loft was NOT easy. Fortunately most clubs were bang on the money so I didn't need to mess with them but one club needed a little tweaking and I really needed to lean on it to get just .75*. Interestingly, adjusting lie angle was much easier, sort of like a Ping. Not easy per say, but easier than loft.

This is not good, I intended to have mine bent 2 degrees weak upon receiving my new irons.