Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

I'm thinking of adding the rtx3 gap wedge myself...good to hear that it's working for you. I have the 54 and really like it. Now that my gap wedge rant is over, the rest of the HM set with the recoil 95s are awesome. Just hit them again at the range and these things go high and deep. Hopefully distance control isn't an issue in the course.

if you are going to the RTX3.0 take a close look between the muscle back and cavity back. the cb is slightly larger but, way, way, way more forgiving than the mb. I tried both and I am liking the cb much better thus far. Its definitely a major improvement over the HM Gap for sure as beautiful as the HM is, I gotta play what is more effective and works. Also, I noticed a 0.5 swing weight diff between the CB and MB when I measured mine so that may or may not translate to a better feel of the head for you. It's D4.5 for my 50* CB

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx for the info! I have the 54 RTX3 CB bc I play more full (or kind of full) shots with that and use the 58 around the greens. So I would def get the 50 in CB too. I still find the 54 CB to be fine around the greens though too. I may get the 50 CB with the graphite shaft so there won't be as much of a drop off in distance from the PW since it has a recoil in it. The recoil 95 shaft in the HMs are an awesome combo. I bought the XR steelheads too about 6 weeks ago but the HM feel 1000 times better IMO.

steelheads get delivered tomorrow, after 20+ years with Mizuno. XR SHs higher and straighter than hot metal ( for me) , and a lot more forgiving than the beautiful 53s I am leaving behind

Callaway Paradyn 9°
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping g400 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 923 hot metal HL 5-GW
Vokey 50-08 sm8
Vokey 56-08 sm9
Spider Tour 34”

I was comparing my XR irons to the new Hot Metals on the range yesterday & I would say that I hit the hot Metals just as far (except the gap wedge) but I seem to have a small fade in the longer irons with Hot Metals as opposed to the XR's. But what really bugged me is the gap wedge distance. It was easily 10 yards shorter than the XR gap wedge (it is 1 degree weaker) & also felt way too light in my hands. I have a 54 degree Mizuno S5 sand wedge that practically matched the Hot Metal gap wedge for distance at 90-95 yards & S5 wedge feels a little more solid. I may switch to the 50 degree S5 wedge to see if I can gain a few extra yards. Normally my XR gap wedge will go between 105-110 yards. Both PW's seem to go about the same distance though. I guess if anyone would ask me I would say I do not like the Hot Metal gap wedge very much. The rest of the set I really like.

Finally got my hot metals and what you described above is EXACTLY my experience with the gap wedge. My 54* just about goes as far as the HM gap wedge. Makes no sense. I stood at our short game area of the range and hit at least 20 shots with each club from about 100 yards. I don't get it.

I custom ordered the S5 50 degree wedge but I still haven't got it yet. Don't know why there is a distance loss with the HM 50 gap wedge but I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices. I might even buy the JPX 850 gap wedge.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I've been gaming these bad boys for the past 3 weeks and I absolutely love them. #4-GW, 105 Modus Shaft to be more specific. I'm a 9 hcp and I look forward to trending down.

I'm coming off the older JPX800 predecessors. I demo'd both forged and hot metals and what really sold me was that I could still shape my shots pretty easily and maintain my distance. GW-8 more "Forgy" and the rest aren't terribly thick for a GI Iron.

I've added some significant distance with these irons. With 7i specifically, I'm averaging about 175 carry. With short par 4's, I've been pulling 4i out with tons of confidence.

I really enjoy how "hot" the ball comes off the face. I wish I could provide a more technical review but all I can say is if you haven't tested these irons out, you should do so soon. You won't regret it.

Sagobro, agree about shaping shots and not losing distance. These are really fun to hit. The XR steelheads on the other hand are very functional and get the job done but I don't really enjoy them. They don't look as nice of feel as nice. And the HM are longer even with a heavier recoil shaft compared to the recoil in the Steelheads. Just my opinion/experience.

Another round with these today and very happy with them. Can't recommend the recoil 95s enough. Pretty nice no upcharge option from mizuno. Callaway was $40 per club upcharge for the 95s. I'm getting the same (if not better) distance from these with the 95 shaft than the 680 shaft in the steelheads. And this being a heavier shaft by 10 grams has also helped with control.

I took the plunge today and traded my Callaway CF 16 irons in for a set of these with the Modus 105 S shafts. I have only hit them at the range and for 9 holes, but I will echo what others are saying. Forged feel with impressive distance so far. Directionally they did not disappoint either. I am most impressed with the forgiveness of the irons. Definitely excited to play Sat and Sun as we are having awesome weather right now here in TN.

I just ordered a set of the Hot Metals 5-PW with True Temper XP 115 shafts in them. Coming from the JPX 800's the Hot Metal sounded and felt my better off the face clean strikes they are not that much different then my current set maybe 3 yards per club but mis hits go much further. The forgiveness of the Hot Metals is almost like cheating. I passed on the wedges and went with Ping Glides as you can get good deals on the Glides right now as the 2.0 version is coming soon. I have read good reviews on the glides, so I am looking forward to hitting them. Keeping my old JPX series wedges for the time being as a back-up just in case I do not care for the glides.

I tried various shafts KBS Tour (my current shaft in my 800's) the c-taper lites the stock Nippon NS (came in second) but really like the True Temper XP's they loaded great, nice a smooth..I swing a 6 iron an average of 82 and I have a VERY fast tempo, I was getting an average of 170 carry off the 6 iron in the store which translated to the course on a 55 degree day. The XP's launched to ball a bit higher with a bit more spin which is welcome for me, I am a life long sweeper and hit the ball a little lower then average with below optimal spin. The store let me take the demo 6 iron with my shaft of choice to the course to pay a couple rounds with it. We are getting some bonus golf in here in Minneapolis the weather has been terrific and the courses are in great shape.

I always buy new irons in the fall when my swing is in pretty good shape now I can sit and dust off my new beautiful Hot Metals and watch the snow fly for the next few month until I can get back out in April...

Cheers to all...

Just picked up a set of Hot Metals off ebay for a price I couldn't pass up. I didn't bother testing them when I got fit for the JPX 900 Forged because I figured they would be like previous non forged versions of the JPX but I was wrong. These irons are long, I got them with the stock shaft (N.S. Pro Modus Reg) and I'm really impressed. I have to do some additional testing on the course but these irons are going to push the JPX Forged or Srixon 565's out of the away course bag.

These irons feel and sound like they are forged. Great irons!

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Oh my word..How did that happen?

Not sure. Visually I knew they were too upright, but not to that extent. The packing slip in the Mizuno box said standard lie. The head pro at Galaxy (he's been a pro for 20 years so not some inexperienced kid) measured them. Fortunately they were easy to bend. Cost me $32... not the end of the world, but annoying I had to spend money on their error. But not worth the time of mailing them back to Mizuno and waiting for them to be bent and mailed back to me.

Played with them again today....they are unreal. Way, way, way better performance and feel than the steelheads.

So glad to hear this, was deciding between the two and decided on the Hot Metals.

They get delivered on Thursday.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

I had my HM 4-PW for about a month now and for me, the jury is still out.

In my case, I am coming from the RSi2 background (3-PW) with the KBS 105 stiff shafts.

On the range, I am seeing some distance gains and I like the Modus3 feel, alot. May be 5 to 10 yard gain per club, especially with the longer club, the more the gain. On the full swing. Ball does go higher which is good where I live, Los Angeles where we have little wind. But would suck in a high wind state.

Accuracy, I would say the RSi2 is a little bit better. Those RSi2 slots do WORK but the face does cave in (which is the reason why I got the HM, no more slots). I've hit some bullets with the RSi2 when I had them. HM, not so as accurate or may be its just me - as the rounds I've had is not reflective of similar rounds with the RSi2. May be I am still getting use to it...

3/4 and 1/2 shots - no difference. Same club and same distance.Juiced lofts on the HM is not effecting these shots as much. I was hoping to down club on the 3/4 but in actual play, I think I need to go back to the same club as I did with the RSi2.

As I said, for me, the jury is still out...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I had my HM 4-PW for about a month now and for me, the jury is still out.

In my case, I am coming from the RSi2 background (3-PW) with the KBS 105 stiff shafts.

On the range, I am seeing some distance gains and I like the Modus3 feel, alot. May be 5 to 10 yard gain per club, especially with the longer club, the more the gain. On the full swing. Ball does go higher which is good where I live, Los Angeles where we have little wind. But would suck in a high wind state.

Accuracy, I would say the RSi2 is a little bit better. Those RSi2 slots do WORK but the face does cave in (which is the reason why I got the HM, no more slots). I've hit some bullets with the RSi2 when I had them. HM, not so as accurate or may be its just me - as the rounds I've had is not reflective of similar rounds with the RSi2. May be I am still getting use to it...

3/4 and 1/2 shots - no difference. Same club and same distance.Juiced lofts on the HM is not effecting these shots as much. I was hoping to down club on the 3/4 but in actual play, I think I need to go back to the same club as I did with the RSi2.

As I said, for me, the jury is still out...

I am currently gaming the RSI 1's and like them. I went and got fitted this past weekend and my fitting has changed over the last three years. The HM's are beautiful and I feel like they are callling my name!!!!

I was comparing my XR irons to the new Hot Metals on the range yesterday & I would say that I hit the hot Metals just as far (except the gap wedge) but I seem to have a small fade in the longer irons with Hot Metals as opposed to the XR's. But what really bugged me is the gap wedge distance. It was easily 10 yards shorter than the XR gap wedge (it is 1 degree weaker) & also felt way too light in my hands. I have a 54 degree Mizuno S5 sand wedge that practically matched the Hot Metal gap wedge for distance at 90-95 yards & S5 wedge feels a little more solid. I may switch to the 50 degree S5 wedge to see if I can gain a few extra yards. Normally my XR gap wedge will go between 105-110 yards. Both PW's seem to go about the same distance though. I guess if anyone would ask me I would say I do not like the Hot Metal gap wedge very much. The rest of the set I really like.

Did you compare the hot metals to the steelhead xr and did you compare the xr to the new steelheads?

I'm playing the Steelhead XR's and was checking out the Hot Metal's today. The HM's have a little more offset but it blends well into the hosel. The HM has a nicer head shape as judged from the playing position (my opinion). Head size wise the the Steelhead's are a tiny bit larger, but not much.

I'm on the lookout for a set of the HM's and it will be a cage match on which become my gamers. I like the tech in the heads. Before playing the Steelheads I was using some Bridgestone J15 Cast irons which were also made from the same/similar "chromoly material". The clubs felt a little clicky when playing with a hard ball but overall I liked those clubs. The finish was very durable too since they were chrome plated.

Found this nifty little description of the tech in the head in terms of forgiveness. Mizuno went after a wide sweetspot but not a huge head size. My only wish is that they had more bounce.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Did you compare the hot metals to the steelhead xr and did you compare the xr to the new steelheads?

This was a comparison of the Xr's to the Hot Metals

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

Changed my hot metal order to put recoil 95's in them. The shop I ordered them from let me take the demo 6 iron with the XP 115 shaft in it and I could not get it to perform. I had my old JPX 800 6 iron with me on the course last week along with the hot metal demo and my old 800 was 10 yards longer and straighter with KBS tours in them. The shop then let me take 5 different shafts to the range the XP 115, KBS Tour the Tour 90 KBS and project X graphite and the recoil 95s. The range was closed for the season but I know the course owner and they let me hit balls for 2 hours and I fell in love with the recoils. Felt great on my 53 year old body and the launch, distance and dispersion were all pretty good. Sure I would like to take aspects of each shaft and built the perfect beast but the recoils and the least amount of comprimise.I wish the recoils launched a touch higher like the KBS 90s but I will hit the 95's in the spring and maybe swap them out for the recoil 780es...I spoke to UST and they felt my average launch of 15 and spin in the low 5000's was not that off for a 6 iron and felt that would hold greens so we will see I have a long time to wait as winter is setting in now here in Minneapolis.