Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that your guy was missing the sweet spot with the HM club.

Are you leaning on the HM Nessism?

I've hit both today and its very, very close, not much in it and frankly, I preferred the HM for its price point. However, it has a thicker top line though and while it didn't bother me, it may sway others. I will be getitng some HM next month or in November, gotta start saving the $$$

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

It seems that your guy was missing the sweet spot with the HM club.

Are you leaning on the HM Nessism?

I've hit both today and its very, very close, not much in it and frankly, I preferred the HM for its price point. However, it has a thicker top line though and while it didn't bother me, it may sway others. I will be getitng some HM next month or in November, gotta start saving the $$$

I'll be waiting until they hit the discount liquidators in a couple of years. They would have to knock my socks off to get me to pay retail (for any set).

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I hear yer. I have no intention to pay full retail either but I won't wait for the discount in 2 yrs time, my game will be different then so I intend to get them now and enjoy them while my game is good.

Plus, thru the usual WRX-whisper-whisper-you-wanna-deal-whisper channel aka DD, I ain't paying full retail either and the price is sweet, less than what I paid to re-shaft my G25 irons in the Recoil prototype...lol.

On the other side of the coin, my RSi2 irons that I have right now, I am starting to see the face-cave-in issue with the 8 iron, 6 and 4 irons that I intend to talk to TM customer service about.

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft

Mizuno claims the chromoly material is stronger than 17-4SS but what about rust resistance? My experience with chromoly bike frames is that the material rusts like carbon steel when exposed to the elements.

It's possible that after the plating wears off, these irons may show rust in the hitting area like a carbon steel blade.

Mizuno claims the chromoly material is stronger than 17-4SS but what about rust resistance? My experience with chromoly bike frames is that the material rusts like carbon steel when exposed to the elements.

It's possible that after the plating wears off, these irons may show rust in the hitting area like a carbon steel blade.

Yes, the "chromoly" will rust after the plating is worn away. The clubs will be more durable than your typical forged club though because the metal is harder so common bag chatter is greatly reduced.

Chrome plated clubs are sort of a jekyll and hyde thing; the chrome itself is very hard and durable so the clubs won't accumulate scuff and scratches the way a raw stainless steel club will, thus they look better in the short and medium terms. Longer term though, eventually, you will start to wear away the chrome and that's when the trouble starts.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

With short irons and wedges, you can wear off the plating pretty fast, especially if you hit a lot of shots out of sand. I would argue the clubs are still very playable after this happens since the plating is so thin it doesn't really affect the flatness of the face. The same thing has happened to my JPX825 5 iron with no detriment to function.

It's probably fine performance wise if this chromoly browns a little bit but your resale value will take a big hit.

Since this is a new material for an iron and the material is known to be more prone to rusting than 17-4, I think it's a little risky to buy these new.

I ordered my JPX 900 Hot Metal last Saturday, loved the way they felt. The forged felt great also, but I could really feel the mishits. I traded in my 714 AP1's so while I am waiting for UPS, I am playing a 6 year old set of Ping G15's. The past 3 rounds have been 80, 84 and 82. Three of the best rounds this year. Hopefully the Hot Metal will keep the good scores coming.

Ping G30 SF Tec, 10*
Ping G, 16*
Wilson Staff D200 19* and 22*
Adams A12OS 5 hybrid
Ping G15, 6-UW
Mizuno S5, 54/12
Callaway Sure Out 58
Odyssey 2 Ball
Kirkland 3 piece

I ordered my JPX 900 Hot Metal last Saturday, loved the way they felt. The forged felt great also, but I could really feel the mishits. I traded in my 714 AP1's so while I am waiting for UPS, I am playing a 6 year old set of Ping G15's. The past 3 rounds have been 80, 84 and 82. Three of the best rounds this year. Hopefully the Hot Metal will keep the good scores coming.

Thats a huge change in head size. Similar to when I jumped from G25s to the RSi2 heads, took a while to get use to it.

The Hot Metal is definitely HOT, I posted my sim numbers on this thread: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1380018-just-tried-jpx-900-series/page__st__120#entry14290394

I am trying really hard to justify the Forge head and like you, they are very close but the numbers just look so much better in the Hot Metal. Honestly, in a blind test, the Hot Metal felt like Forge to me as well, so, so, so ubber soft at impact.

I have a few weeks to decide since these are costly irons. GLW the new irons :)

Just made a leap of faith & bought these at GG. They were actually giving 50% trade enhancement too. Just can't beat it. Was hitting the 6 iron around 180 carry on their launch monitor. about 5 yards longer than my XR's.

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

• 2 weeks later...

For me the hot metal was better looking, felt better and sounded better than the SH also straighter snd a few yards longer. Mizuno had a quality feel, great club

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

What about the forgiveness?

I've hit both. I felt the HM was more forgiving because it's just a touch bigger than the Steelhead. The Steelhead is the most "blade" like GI iron I've had my hands on. I did get great numbers with the Steelheads, but I attribute that to the slightly stronger lofts.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I need to compare them with the Steelhead XR and my 825 's

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

For me the hot metal was better looking, felt better and sounded better than the SH also straighter snd a few yards longer. Mizuno had a quality feel, great club

The Steelheads are intriguing but its a Callaway and I like Callaways for their fairway woods, not exactly enamoured by their irons even their Apex line. One look and hit and I went "meh" but I am very surprised by how good these 900 series Mizzys are.

Not a Mizzy fan by a long shot, never even owned a single Mizuno club at all but how good looking are these 900 series and they flat out perform on the LM. Next week I am gonna order but I am really pondering full Hot Metals 4 to PW or combo with Forged.

Combo is more money, slightly smaller heads in the forged but the Hot Metals, eventhough classed as GI, are really a decent, decent size head (thank you Mizuno for not going stupid big like the G irons). Yeah, thicker top line in the Hot Metal and the 4 iron, I can see the sole.....but BFD and frankly with my experience with the G25s and the RSi2 irons sets I own and play and both are 2 totally, totally different world irons, I can play with any head. Hot Metal fits between the 2.

Frankly, when I don't hit it too sweet, I'll lean GI but these RSi2s are pretty forgiving...those slots work too.

I also pondered the Recoil 95 vs Modus3 105 and I own the Recoil Prototype 95. I would have jumped on the Recoil but the bag wear on the expensive Protos in my shorter irons have got me off them. I don't fancy sticking a tape around it to save the shaft. Yes, its real and its p*ssed me off about these UST shafts. I never had issues with chrome shafts like KBS. Modus3 it is and I might even throw that into my UDI 2 iron.

I've hit both. I felt the HM was more forgiving because it's just a touch bigger than the Steelhead. The Steelhead is the most "blade" like GI iron I've had my hands on. I did get great numbers with the Steelheads, but I attribute that to the slightly stronger lofts.

Thanks. That helps a lot. I need to compare them with the Steelhead XR and my 850 's

I've hit the 850's as well. In order of forgiveness:

HM>850's>SH

On looks for me it's:

HM>SH>>>>>850's

Thanks. That helps a lot. I need to compare them with the Steelhead XR and my 850 's

I've hit the 850's as well. In order of forgiveness:

HM>850's>SH

On looks for me it's:

HM>SH>>>>>850's

Thanks Ziggy.

So if you were in the market for new irons you would go for the 900 HM's? What is your HC if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks again. :)

^ sure. I get really bored and I live really close to a Golfsmith. I've hit basically every single club offered in the past 2 years except for some players blades because, to answer your question, my HC is around a 22-23.

I am actually in the market and I'm planning on either the HMs or the 2016 EZ's. Leaning HM but I'll buy which ever gives me better numbers. I'm actually going to Golfsmith tonight to get a final fitting. I was fit into EZ's with 1150GH shafts, but those shafts are no longer an OEM option from Mizzy. Since I have to test new shafts now, I figure I'd also test out the HM (again for the 3rd time..) directly against the EZ's.

I tested the HM's direct against the M2, RSI1 and the SH's, and the HM's looked the best by far, and also had the softest and best sound.

Hit the Project X 70 g 4.5 in R flex if you get a chance. Would appreciate your feedback. Because that is my preferred weight and flex.

Ok, I'm in for the Hot Metal...just placed an order with DD. A lot of pondering over the Forge, the combo or all Hot Metal. I am sure a lot of us WRXers will be in the same spot unless you are a Forge guy.

I figured the Hot Metal will sit between the RSi2 and my G25 in terms of head size but such a beautiful head in contrast to the other 2 irons.

The HM LM numbers are great and I like the Modus 3 105 a lot, better than the KBS 105 for feel, feedback and smoothness. There will be days I won't hit it well so the Hot Metal is perfect.

I think the final straw the tipped the decision towards the Hot Metal vs Forge was the size of the head. I have a Scor 51* gap wedge and while I like the strikes, something that niggles at me is the smaller head size of the Scor as compared to say a Vokey or RTX that I have in the same loft. While I am single digit, I prefer the slightly bigger heads than the Scor head. So I applied the same logic to the Forge vs Hot Metal. The RSi2 look fine for me but they are not the smallest head TM produces, the TP may or PSI that replaced it may be smaller. Size matters, for me, in the irons and I like to keep my cap and to do that, I need something forgiving & just the right size head that meets the expectation of my eyes.

Can't wait till it the set is delivered, looking forward to some buttery hits vs the more clicky RSi2.

FWIW I got refitted again yesterday, I hit the HM's and the EZ's, both heads with C Taper Lite stiff shafts, and Modus 105 stiff shafts.

I was completely wowed at the HM and modus combo. It was more accurate and literally 10 yards longer than the EZ with C taper lite, and about 5-6 yards longer than the EZ with the modus 105. The HM just feels... Hot. It's much softer feeling IMO than the EZ, but yet gives enough feedback to tell the ball is literally coming off the face faster. Another plus I suppose for some will be that the HM is a more compact size than the EZ. It's a touch thinner in the top line, has noticeably less offset, and has a shorter blade length. It reminds me a lot of the address view of the Apex CF 16's.

I'm totally in love with these, I'm placing my order today. If it matters, yesterday my swing speed was averaging around 85-86, I was hitting 6i's and my carry was averaging around 188-190. Hit off GC2 with those low spin Srixon balls, so take it with a grain.

I got stats of the C-Taper Lite 6 iron and its head to head with the Modus 3 105 for me. However, big difference in the shaft feel between the 2 and I felt I hit it better with the Modus. I have the same C-Taper in my UDI 2 iron so that may go Modus 3 as well if all bodes well.

Its really nice of Mizuno to offer all these shafts from LZ, Modus, C-Taper to Recoil for no upcharge. But I guess the higher than norm prices of these irons allows for it, I guess...

talking msrp, even off ebay the "authorised" dealers are charging that. you'll get 1 or 2 ebayer who will do 98 hm or 125 forged + 16 shipping. in the end, i went with my usual source, DD. Great price, no sale tax and free shipping...luv'em. Just got receipt and confirmation as I am typing this, shipping 10/13 and I ordered mine with the MCC4+ blue instead of the normal NDMC..that too is usually an up charge at other brands.

I'm very interested in the Hot Metal irons but was hoping one of you guys could do me a favor; could you please measure the blade length on the four or five iron.

I'm not thrown off by a thick top line but for some reason don't like a long blade length.

Thanks in advance.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9.5*
Taylormade M4 Tour 3wood
Nike VRS 18* & 21* Hybrids
TaylorMade P790 5-PW
TaylorMade Milled Grind 50..54..58
Scotty Cameron 009m
Bridgestone Tour Bx

talking msrp, even off ebay the "authorised" dealers are charging that. you'll get 1 or 2 ebayer who will do 98 hm or 125 forged + 16 shipping. in the end, i went with my usual source, DD. Great price, no sale tax and free shipping...luv'em. Just got receipt and confirmation as I am typing this, shipping 10/13 and I ordered mine with the MCC4+ blue instead of the normal NDMC..that too is usually an up charge at other brands.

Mine was free shipping and no sales tax off ebay. Same price as Golfsmith, but 1 week shipping as opposed to 3-4 weeks. I also got my Lamkin UTx wraps for no upcharge... so..

I'm very interested in the Hot Metal irons but was hoping one of you guys could do me a favor; could you please measure the blade length on the four or five iron.

I'm not thrown off by a thick top line but for some reason don't like a long blade length.

Thanks in advance.

Blade length isn't long, it's shorter than the EZ's and most other GI irons I've hit. It's comparable to the Steelheads. However, I only hit a 6i, not a 4 or 5i. It's comparable to the Apex too, if you've ever hit those. Maybe a touch longer.