Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

Ordered mine last Friday with the Modus 105 s flex. I went to test driver shafts and came out having to have the HM irons. I have been playing the original Callaway Apex irons with the Nippon 990 unifiex and thought I loved them..... until I hit the HM's! Tested the Steelhead and CF Apex, even with the Modus shaft and the HM just blew them away on the launch monitor and the range. Felt like a pured shot with my old MP 19's (left handed) that had the r300 Sensicore shaft, and that was a pure feel. Cant wait till the new irons arrive, but with a warm weekend coming it's going to be hard if they aren't here by then.

Irons showed up today! Friday order and Friday delivery..... Looks like Saturday's round will be a bit more interesting for me :miz: Gorgeous clubs and SW was a dead-on D2 on all clubs.

Question. Do most people get the same SW in every club? Shouldn't a SW be quite a bit more than say a 4 iron?

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60 degree day here in NJ, and while there was still some snow on the ground, the turf was very saturated, and the greens are closed, it was great to simply get out on the course again. Once again, these irons are truly the real deal. And the Modus Tour 105 shafts are terrific--so solid and smooth. Just a great pairing, and a total joy to play.

In the interest of full disclosure, I could not resist an order for a 5-PW set of Srizon Z565 irons, same Modus Tour 105 R shafts. So I will be able to put these two sets head to head starting in a few weeks, and may the best set win. In all honesty, if the Z565's can bring the same combination of power, feel and forgiveness that the 900 HM's seem to be bringing, they will be some set of irons. Should be fun though.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* Driver, Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 3 Super Hybrid, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red 80 6.0

Callaway Apex 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Taylormade Qi Irons 6-AW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Ordered mine last Friday with the Modus 105 s flex. I went to test driver shafts and came out having to have the HM irons. I have been playing the original Callaway Apex irons with the Nippon 990 unifiex and thought I loved them..... until I hit the HM's! Tested the Steelhead and CF Apex, even with the Modus shaft and the HM just blew them away on the launch monitor and the range. Felt like a pured shot with my old MP 19's (left handed) that had the r300 Sensicore shaft, and that was a pure feel. Cant wait till the new irons arrive, but with a warm weekend coming it's going to be hard if they aren't here by then.

Irons showed up today! Friday order and Friday delivery..... Looks like Saturday's round will be a bit more interesting for me :miz: Gorgeous clubs and SW was a dead-on D2 on all clubs.

Question. Do most people get the same SW in every club? Shouldn't a SW be quite a bit more than say a 4 iron?

Sorry, SW was referring to swing-weight, not sand wedge. My HM set is gap wedge thru 6 iron, so these should all be the same swing weight.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

Sorry, SW was referring to swing-weight, not sand wedge. My HM set is gap wedge thru 6 iron, so these should all be the same swing weight.

i know you meant swing weight. My 4-8 are different from my 9-SW

Does anybody have the NIppon pro 950 shafts in these. I'm finding the Modus 105s a little hard to load for my lazy swing.

Didn't hit them in these but those shafts are fantastic! Very smooth.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

Does anybody have the NIppon pro 950 shafts in these. I'm finding the Modus 105s a little hard to load for my lazy swing.

If you like 950's get them. The heads have nothing to do with what shafts you like.

Did you buy a set with the Modus and now want to trade? I know someone with a new set of 950 pulls that may do a swap with you.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Just my .02 cents, but don't write off the regular flex Modus Tour 105 without giving it a chance. I have been playing the regular flex in my 900 HM's for a few weeks now, and it is a terrific shaft. Very solid, stable and smooth.

IMHO, the Modus Tour 105 plays like, well, a tour quality shaft, but lightweight for those of us who like that. And the R, S and X flexes available in the 105 really do cater to different needs. I can vouch that the R flex is no whippy noodle. It may not be the stoutest shaft out there, but it is certainly not the softest shaft either.

Of course, go with what works best for you, but just thought I'd throw that out there. The 950 is a great shaft as well, but is obviously a different type of shaft.

If you like 950's get them. The heads have nothing to do with what shafts you like.

Did you buy a set with the Modus and now want to trade? I know someone with a new set of 950 pulls that may do a swap with you.

No just hitting them for many hours at different stores. I rotate stores so they don't get sick of me .

Just my .02 cents, but don't write off the regular flex Modus Tour 105 without giving it a chance. I have been playing the regular flex in my 900 HM's for a few weeks now, and it is a terrific shaft. Very solid, stable and smooth.

IMHO, the Modus Tour 105 plays like, well, a tour quality shaft, but lightweight for those of us who like that. And the R, S and X flexes available in the 105 really do cater to different needs. I can vouch that the R flex is no whippy noodle. It may not be the stoutest shaft out there, but it is certainly not the softest shaft either.

Of course, go with what works best for you, but just thought I'd throw that out there. The 950 is a great shaft as well, but is obviously a different type of shaft.

Your right the R flex is not a noodle. I think very strong players can use that shaft because of where it flexes, kinda in the middle of the shaft.

Any of you guys having issues with distance control from your Hot Metal irons?

I played this morning and flew over two different greens.

These irons do help mishits but when I nut the shot dead center in the middle of the face it flies farther than I'm expecting.

Could be that the club and shaft combo sometimes feels different than your previous set, which subconsciously causes a swing change that allows you to hit them further.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

Nessism, it's interesting you said it doesn't matter which shaft you use in any given head which I want to believe is true, but you always hear people say these stock shafts really work well with these heads and that ping is the best at matching shafts too their heads. Just always wondered what that actually means. It would take a lot of stress out of buying new irons if your favorite shaft worked well with any head you picked. What are you guys thoughts?

Nessism, it's interesting you said it doesn't matter which shaft you use in any given head which I want to believe is true, but you always hear people say these stock shafts really work well with these heads and that ping is the best at matching shafts too their heads. Just always wondered what that actually means. It would take a lot of stress out of buying new irons if your favorite shaft worked well with any head you picked. What are you guys thoughts?

Main thing with shafts is to find something that feels good to you. Both in terms of the weight and the feeling of flex in your hands. If the shaft feels good to you then you will put your best swing on the ball and that's what leads to good shot results. The shaft flex profile is a secondary consideration. Only guys that "load" the shaft heavily with a quick tempo and/or a late release will see much different in ball flight between different shafts. Personally, I don't see all that much variation in ball flight between different shafts but I'm relatively sensitive about shaft weight. Guys that put a lot of load on the shaft will see trajectory variation though. Each person is different.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

60 degree day here in NJ, and while there was still some snow on the ground, the turf was very saturated, and the greens are closed, it was great to simply get out on the course again. Once again, these irons are truly the real deal. And the Modus Tour 105 shafts are terrific--so solid and smooth. Just a great pairing, and a total joy to play.

In the interest of full disclosure, I could not resist an order for a 5-PW set of Srizon Z565 irons, same Modus Tour 105 R shafts. So I will be able to put these two sets head to head starting in a few weeks, and may the best set win. In all honesty, if the Z565's can bring the same combination of power, feel and forgiveness that the 900 HM's seem to be bringing, they will be some set of irons. Should be fun though.

I would love to hear your thoughts...I am trying to decide between these exact tow sets.

I would love to hear your thoughts...I am trying to decide between these exact tow sets.

I will report back on the Z565 vs 900 HM's, but it won't be for a bit. I don't even have the Z565's in hand yet. The 900 HM's will be coming with me on a golf trip in 2 weeks, so those will be their first real rounds. I've only been knocking the 900 HM's around on an empty, wet course with temporary greens for the past couple of weeks.

I only wish the gap wedge truly matched the set. I only use a gap wedge to fill a gap between SW and PW. I don't think this wedge could be just 10 yards short of the PW when its not the hot metal face.

I think I agree. I don't know why Mizuno felt they needed to get "cute" with the GW. These irons are really so good, all they needed to do was just make a logical extension of the PW, with a little heft to it but slightly slimmer, same material, and just be done with it.

In my course time over the past couple of weeks, the GW is the only club in the set that concerns me. I know there has been some chatter about the GW being short in terms of distance, which might be the case (I need real round action to see this), but my problem was simply not getting a good strike on it.

My goal with a GW is to be able to throw darts with it. Picture a Ping G-style U wedge. It may not be pretty, but it is effective. I am not convinced yet that the 900 HM GW will be that type of club, but we shall see.

My limited experience with my gap wedge in the Hot Metal set was 3 short pitches in one round (30-60 yards). There seemed to be sufficient spin to check the ball, and the distance felt 'right'. But, I am coming off of Callaway Apex and the gap wedges felt very similar. I rarely hit a full gap wedge anyway.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

I love the hm/true temper xp 115 combination. Little heavier than the modus 105 (imo it would have been nice if miz offered some of the heavier modus shafts for its irons and wedges. The 105s have become the one size fits all modus offering!), mid flight and very smooth. This is an under appreciated shaft.

My old XRs gap wedge was the exact same face technology as the pitching wedge. Felt the same, look the same and sound the same. It was also exactly 10 yards shorter than the PW so it filled the gap perfect. Wish we could get Mizuno to make a matching GW instead of this thing they came up with. Love the irons though got a set on order minus the gap wedge.

So Srixon built and delivered my set of Z565's quickly, and the set arrived today (along with some RTX-3 wedges). I will hopefully be able to get them out for some play this coming weekend. They are gorgeous. Here are some comparison shots of the Z565 and 900 HM 7 irons. They are similar in size, with the 900 HM's seemingly slightly bigger. Again, both sets with Modus Tour 105 R shafts.

e1cc70da99eca970b82561db6477e826.jpg

ec65e4b84703e3deaf9553c6df320dc5.jpg

5861d8d32fcac05d2c8ad4d3d034facf.jpg

a756fbc89c18dd531f317d2fd561a377.jpg

Just hit my new HM's last night for the first time. I think it was about time I went down from the PX's. I added 3-4mph per club and my control was much better. I think I might be in love. Can't wait for the season to start!

Driver: Callaway Epic Max - 10.5 Deg - GD Tour AD HD - 5S
4 Wood: Callaway Epic Speed - 16.5 Deg - GD Tour AD MT - 6S
Irons: Callaway Epic Forged - 4i-SW - Aerotech Steelfiber FC90-F4
Wedge:Fourteen RM-21 - 58/12 - Recoil 110 F4
Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black #7 - 33"
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x 
Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 or Four5[/font][/size][/b]

Anyone have experience with both these and the Calloway XR? Wondering what the differences are

I never got along with the Callaway XR, but that could have been a shaft thing, as I only played the stock 80g steel shaft. If I had the Modus 105 in the XR's like I have in the 900 HM's, who knows what I would have found. But as far as the total package, the 900 HM's with the Modus 105 are a significantly better fit for me compared to the XR's. I had dispersion issues with the XR's in the stock setup that I don't have with the 900 HM's. YMMV.

Playing a mixed set now, but with the 70+ weather pattern we are having in Ohio today I decided to take them for a spin! All I can say is WOW! My wife rode around with me for 9 early this morning before our Friday movie and lunch (we're only in our 30's but that makes us sound old!) Anyway she commented on about the 6th hole how it seemed some of my iron shots went high and the others took of like a rocket! I took that as mission accomplished on the combo front!

The Hot Metal 4 and 5 irons are a dream to hit! The flight path was something I have been searching for for a long time! Paired with the Modus 105 S I couldn't wait till I needed to use them again. Unfortunately it was only one time for each!

The forged play fantastic as well with a very soft feel at impact and high ball flight paired with the Modus 105S. The only negative today was a bit of ball rash on the toe of my "new" pitching wedge (caused by a downhill lie and some wet/muddy/rocky conditions). On the bright side, the first scratch has been made!!!

I'll report more as I get some additional time. Hope you all are still enjoying your Hot Metals!

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B