2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

Debating on a set of 5-PW 900 HMs or the Cobra F7 One lengths. Currently playing the Nike Vapor Fly Pros but just not meshing well with it for some reason.

Can't go wrong with either. I will say tho, the F7's are "larger" looking to my eye than the HM's. In fact I'm honestly debating about switching back to my Hot Metals this spring over my players irons for a little bit of added forgiveness and stability.

I figured the F7 would be larger than the HM's just from watching online reviews of them, but I'm actually looking forward to getting a set that's just more forgiving and will go straighter. I wish more places would have more than just the 5, 7, and PW irons for the single lengths, but most places around me just have those to test out. But most reviews of the HM have been very good so I owe it to at least try them out before choosing the one-length route.

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debating on a set of 5-PW 900 HMs or the Cobra F7 One lengths. Currently playing the Nike Vapor Fly Pros but just not meshing well with it for some reason.

Can't go wrong with either. I will say tho, the F7's are "larger" looking to my eye than the HM's. In fact I'm honestly debating about switching back to my Hot Metals this spring over my players irons for a little bit of added forgiveness and stability.

I see that you have mp 54's listed in your sig. How do the HM's compare to those? I'm currently playing mp 54's as well but continue to wonder if the HM's would be a better club for me.

If you are going to even think about buying the One Length's, you truly need to test an entire set. The 1 main gripe I've seen about Cobra OL are that the short irons fly a bit too high and the long irons fly a bit too low.

Do you know of any retailers that allow you to test a set out? I went to Cobra's website and they have a "Try One Length Irons" search and all it does is show retailers and big box stores that sell Cobra clubs. I called one of the places and they have never even heard of demoing an entire set.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

I've been trying to really pay attention to my shot distance to try to pinpoint the issue I've been having with distance control. A couple of things I'm pretty sure about at this point are 1) I don't get as much spin as I'd like because shots are rolling out farther than expected and 2) the HM's are forgiving and long. Number 2 conclusion comes after picking up a set of Miura PP-9003 irons over the weekend from a friend and noticing a number of shots coming up short of target. I expected the distances to be shorter with these clubs but not quite so much. The approach shots are sticking a little better with the Miura's though so that caught my attention as well.

My swing has shallowed out more than it used to be and I don't take as much of a divot as previous so maybe that's contributing to the lowish spin. I think these HM's are low spin clubs overall though. At least that's what I'm thinking at this time. More to come...

As others have suggested, the problem may be the low spin on contact a little higher on the face. When I was fit for the Hot Metals, the fitter saw two shots out of 20-25 where the spin dropped several thousand RPMs and I had 5-8 yards of additional carry (plus more roll) beyond my good strikes. I had the same issue with the CF 16s and the Steelhead Pros. I'm not a real high spin player and I've come to the conclusion that the hot faced irons are not a good match for my swing.

I've been trying to really pay attention to my shot distance to try to pinpoint the issue I've been having with distance control. A couple of things I'm pretty sure about at this point are 1) I don't get as much spin as I'd like because shots are rolling out farther than expected and 2) the HM's are forgiving and long. Number 2 conclusion comes after picking up a set of Miura PP-9003 irons over the weekend from a friend and noticing a number of shots coming up short of target. I expected the distances to be shorter with these clubs but not quite so much. The approach shots are sticking a little better with the Miura's though so that caught my attention as well.

My swing has shallowed out more than it used to be and I don't take as much of a divot as previous so maybe that's contributing to the lowish spin. I think these HM's are low spin clubs overall though. At least that's what I'm thinking at this time. More to come...

A shallow swing will deliver more spin when the ball reaches the target rather than less. A steep swing may create more spin initially but most of it is lost when the ball reaches the target. Shaft and ball choice have a more significant impact on spin.

As others have suggested, the problem may be the low spin on contact a little higher on the face. When I was fit for the Hot Metals, the fitter saw two shots out of 20-25 where the spin dropped several thousand RPMs and I had 5-8 yards of additional carry (plus more roll) beyond my good strikes. I had the same issue with the CF 16s and the Steelhead Pros. I'm not a real high spin player and I've come to the conclusion that the hot faced irons are not a good match for my swing.

Several thousand RPM is a lot. My miss is generally low on the face rather than high so haven't encountered this issue yet. I'll play around with hitting balls of tee's to see if I can replicate it.

The only issue I have with the HM's is how easy the finish on the heads is coming off and some rust spots that have appeared on the face.

I see that you have mp 54's listed in your sig. How do the HM's compare to those? I'm currently playing mp 54's as well but continue to wonder if the HM's would be a better club for me.

The 2 main differences between them are that the mp54's are thinner looking (overall blade length to me personally, isn't much different), and feel softer, which is the main reason I got them. Also working the ball with the 54's is much easier to do (could be good or bad) for me than with the HM's. Distance is generally more steady with the 54's too, every now and then my HMs would randomly seem to go an extra 5-10 yards, almost like there's a tiny "extra" sweet spot that really makes the ball jump off.

Overall though I don't see the differences as being huge. I think a single digit guy could game the HM's easily unless he plays courses with lots of trees and things that over hang greens and you need to cut/draw the ball in quite often.

If you are going to even think about buying the One Length's, you truly need to test an entire set. The 1 main gripe I've seen about Cobra OL are that the short irons fly a bit too high and the long irons fly a bit too low.

Do you know of any retailers that allow you to test a set out? I went to Cobra's website and they have a "Try One Length Irons" search and all it does is show retailers and big box stores that sell Cobra clubs. I called one of the places and they have never even heard of demoing an entire set.

Not that I know of, but just hitting a 7i isn't going to cut it. Bare min you'd want to hit 5, 7, 9 and if you were going to use them, the wedges too. The complaints seemed to be like... the PW/GW flew insanely high with lots of spin (faster swing speeds with higher loft) and things like 4i/5i flew massively low with too little of spin (slower swing speed, less spin) than a typical set.

FWIW I believe some youtubers have tested whole sets and have kiiiiinddd of proven the Wishon One's are a bit better at fixing this issue. If I were to get one lengths, I probably wouldn't go with the Cobras. But the feel of them were very nice I must say.

I went to play at a course nearby, the Ponds at Battle Creek in Minnesota, and they had a demo set to try. You should call Cobra to ask about courses that represent the brand.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Not that I know of, but just hitting a 7i isn't going to cut it. Bare min you'd want to hit 5, 7, 9 and if you were going to use them, the wedges too. The complaints seemed to be like... the PW/GW flew insanely high with lots of spin (faster swing speeds with higher loft) and things like 4i/5i flew massively low with too little of spin (slower swing speed, less spin) than a typical set.

FWIW I believe some youtubers have tested whole sets and have kiiiiinddd of proven the Wishon One's are a bit better at fixing this issue. If I were to get one lengths, I probably wouldn't go with the Cobras. But the feel of them were very nice I must say.

I thought about the Wishon's but honestly, I wasn't a fan of the sound they made. I'm going to see what else is around in terms of demo days and even manufacturers. I'm wondering if other OEMs like Titleist or Mizuno will come out with their own single length irons in the near future?

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

I thought about the Wishon's but honestly, I wasn't a fan of the sound they made. I'm going to see what else is around in terms of demo days and even manufacturers. I'm wondering if other OEMs like Titleist or Mizuno will come out with their own single length irons in the near future?

Suppliers will make whatever the market dictates. If it looks like guys are going out and buying lots of One Length's/Wishon Ones, then other companies will make them. I think Cobra did it simply because Bryson demanded it, and they are the "cool" company that makes funky colors and takes a few risks.

Personally, I don't see it happening simply because many people look to what's on tour as their, "well so and so uses it, so I should be using that, too!". As far as I know only Bryson is using them and he's not winning... So the popularity isn't really going to pick up. I don't see manufacturers taking the time and money to engineer and design one length irons if there's no real market demand for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got fitted for the jpx 900 HM's. I was planning on getting either the 17 m2's or m1''s or the steelheads but the HM's did the best for me. Ended up ordering them 5-Gw 2* upright with kbs tour 90s.

Anyone know if you can order the 3 or 4 irons individually from mizuno in case I want to to go with the rest irons when the mailman comes with my irons?

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Just got fitted for the jpx 900 HM's. I was planning on getting either the 17 m2's or m1''s or the steelheads but the HM's did the best for me. Ended up ordering them 5-Gw 2* upright with kbs tour 90s.

Anyone know if you can order the 3 or 4 irons individually from mizuno in case I want to to go with the rest irons when the mailman comes with my irons?

You can get the 4 iron...but they don't make a 3 for the HM set. Wish they did.

[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Ping G 400 LST 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 3&5 Fairway Woods Graphite Design AD DI[/size]
[size=2]Ping G400 19* Hybrid Stock Shaft[/size]
[size=2]Ping G 400 4-PW NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105's[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Titleist SM6 52/12 and 58/12[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/size][/i][/color]
[color=#ff0000][i][size=2]Bridgestone B330RX or B330S[/size][/i][/color]

Has anyone noticed the hot metal version with yellow lettering of "JPX 900" and numbering?

When I was fitted it was this type of head but I notice most just white and blue lettering

I actually dug the extra detail of yellow on the heads

Not sure if they released a new version or if those were specifically for fitters/pros

The yellow ones are the B weight heads for +1/2" and longer shafts. They're about 8 grams lighter and 2* upright. The white heads are the A heads, standard weight and lie.

2017 M1 460 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange or M1 440 10.5* HZRDUS T1100
2016 M1 3HL PXv Tour or SLDR Mini 16* 8M3
Adams Red 20* Altus Tour
JPX 900 Forged 4, 5 and Tour 6-PW Super Peening Blue
MP-T7 50*, 55* Super Peening Blue
MP-S5 60* DG TI Onyx
Ghost Tour Black Daytona

i had 900 HMs, then went to 900 forged. then went back to HMs. distance is the same for me on the forged, but the look of the HMs isnt that much different, plus the added forgiveness always helps! c taper 900 lites for me.

• Mizuno STZ 220 Driver
  • Mizuno STX 220 3w
  • Mizuno STX 220 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • Mizuno T22 Copper Wedges
  • Mizuno/Timeless Putters
  • Titleist Pro V1 Ball

Got fitted for the 4 thru 9 HM, and went T7 on the wedges. This is going to be a long 2 weeks of waiting

Never know..I got fitted for mine saturday, kbs tour 90s stiff 2* upright.Shop ordered them. Guess what was sitting on the porch when I got home?

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

I hit the HM with recoil 95s very well at a fitting - but hit 105-110g steel slightly better because it smoothed my transition (shaft optimizer put me in KBS X). I can't really play a 130g shaft without getting exhausted and need recoil due to injuries. Mizuno absolutely does not carry the recoil 110.

Here's my idea: I play +1/2" which I suppose means Mizuno would switch to the lighter B wt. (yellow in the fitting cart) heads.

Maybe I could order +1/2" but with standard weight heads. I could counterbalance back to normal D-2 swingweight with lead tape under grip or just below and effectively end up with a club that plays more like a 110g shaft. Am I missing anything?

I've done this on another set I play now (lead tape on head and just below the grip to offset too-light shaft) and liked how they came out.

Is the final verdict on GW and SW distances positive? I saw earlier threads expressing concerns.

Close to ordering these so thanks for inputs.

I hit the HM with recoil 95s very well at a fitting - but hit 105-110g steel slightly better because it smoothed my transition (shaft optimizer put me in KBS X). I can't really play a 130g shaft without getting exhausted and need recoil due to injuries. Mizuno absolutely does not carry the recoil 110.

Here's my idea: I play +1/2" which I suppose means Mizuno would switch to the lighter B wt. (yellow in the fitting cart) heads.

Maybe I could order +1/2" but with standard weight heads. I could counterbalance back to normal D-2 swingweight with lead tape under grip or just below and effectively end up with a club that plays more like a 110g shaft. Am I missing anything?

I've done this on another set I play now (lead tape on head and just below the grip to offset too-light shaft) and liked how they came out.

Is the final verdict on GW and SW distances positive? I saw earlier threads expressing concerns.

I don't know about this sort of monkey business. Does Mizuno offer any graphite shafts in the 110 range such as Steelfibers?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I don't know about this sort of monkey business. Does Mizuno offer any graphite shafts in the 110 range such as Steelfibers?

Nope. I called them.

Best they can do for me is recoil 95g plus standard head vs the usual 8g lighter B head for overlength. All that plus my usual 7g heavier midsize gripe hopefully adds enough heft to help.

Any updates on GW and SW performance? Are distance gaps making sense? The more recent posts sounded positive vs earlier reports.

What is up with the Mizuno web site it is not showing any of the shaft options available for the Hot Metals? Am I missing something?

I still can't find the custom shafts offered for the HM on the site...Frustrated.

The following shafts are available and all at No Charge

XP95,105,115

DG & DGAMT

Nippon 95 & Modus 105

PX & PXLZ

KBS90 & Tour, CTaper , C-Taper Lite

Graphite

Recoil 95

PXLZ & LZ Tour