2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

That's what I'm saying. 4-5 yards further for me.

Do you happen to know how your spin compared? I actually spun the forged clubs slightly less, had a lower launch, and similar distance. If that carries through to the wedges that could explain a few extra yards.

I found this to be the case as well, and it makes total sense that it would be the reason for the extra yards.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have the 900F's I use the S5 wedges (SW and LW) and really like the feel of them especially around the green. They are a few yards longer than my last wedges but I would suggest you need to compare lofts and shaft length. The shaft profile (bend) will also have a bearing on the delivery loft and the forged head will have a softer feeling usually giving less distance when compared a cast head.

So I'm going to order a set of HM's after being fit into this club by 2 different fitters. However before I pull the trigger on them I had a few questions:

• I was fit for clubs 1/2" short in C-Taper Lite Reg Flex and I am a little concerned about the clubswingweight. I know that the 1/2" cut will drop the swingweight by 3 points. I was told by Mizuno that they couldn't keep the D2 weight and might be able to do D0-D1. I'm not sure if I should just choke down on standard length clubs or if I should just add some lead tape on the shorter clubs to bring the SW back up to D2
  • I am considering picking up the 4 iron and wanted to know people's feelings on the club. It would replace one of my hybrids and I would use it as a driving iron. Thinking of throwing in a graphite shaft in it. My 6 iron swingspeed is about 80 mph, but I'm not sure I have the swing speed for a 21* iron
  • Also considering pickup up the set Sand Wedge. Currently play Callaway MD3 54* wedge and wanted to know how the HM Sand Wedge compares. My main use for this club would be for short pitches and running chips.

My 900 HM's were fit at 1/4" short and when I checked the swing weight it was D2 spec-on on all clubs. Mizuno tolerances are very close; I suspect they will have no problem having your irons right at D2 or extremely close.

Stealth 10.5 Tour AD 6S
0311 Gen6  3 and 7 wood
BioCell 25* Hybrid
Srixon ZX5 5-PW Recoil 95 F3
Cleveland CG12 DSG 52*

Hi-Toe milled 58* ATV
Odyssey Stroke lab 10 S

Question for you long-time Mizuno guys...this many years after their introduction, I'm still playing the MX-23's, since nothing I've tried has persuaded me to move on. (Worked at GG for awhile, so I've tried a lot.) Now, however, the HM's have caught my attention, since my beloved 23's are starting to show their age. So, the question would be, for those of you familiar with both, what sort of performance differences would I encounter if I made the change? I know the standard technology is so much better now line of reasoning, but the 23's are some seriously good irons, so I'm looking for some real world experience.

Thanks.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Question for you long-time Mizuno guys...this many years after their introduction, I'm still playing the MX-23's, since nothing I've tried has persuaded me to move on. (Worked at GG for awhile, so I've tried a lot.) Now, however, the HM's have caught my attention, since my beloved 23's are starting to show their age. So, the question would be, for those of you familiar with both, what sort of performance differences would I encounter if I made the change? I know the standard technology is so much better now line of reasoning, but the 23's are some seriously good irons, so I'm looking for some real world experience.

Thanks.

I have been a Mizuno fanatic since the MX 20's and have owned 23's, 25's, 200's, 825 pro, MP 60's and JPX 900 HM.

The JPX Forged is the closer relative as I am sure you are aware.

The JPX Hot Metal should offer the following performance advantages (assuming they are advantages for you): Higher launch, higher ball speed, easier to play.

They won't feel as Mizuno pure as your MX 23's, they have a distinctive but superb feel all of their own.

If you go with them stick with the HM's up to PW then add a Forged GW. Great clubs and good value if you use short sets (6-GW) and need graphite as I do.

I've played different Mizunos -- MP59, MP54 and MP15. I would say the 900 HM let you get away with far more on a miss compared to any of those clubs, especially on any shot you catch low on the face. (A groove low is one I do a lot.) The cup face helps a lot there.

And just a much hotter face to me. Easy to get these up and they really go. I also love the 900 Forged, but hard to beat the HM. They do not swing like a GI club and they perforn.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Agree with DaveMac. JPX Forged are closer to the 23s than the HMs.

I'd go slow in replacing the 23s. Those were one of my favorite sets of irons. Played them until they were wore out.

Not sure how much slower I can go, since I've had the 23's for 12 or 13 years now.. :dntknw:

But your point is well made. Over the years I've read plenty of regrets from folks who have moved on from the 23's. So regardless of whether I pick up something new or not, I'll be hanging onto them in case I ever want to go back.

Also, I knew the Forged were a more direct descendent than the HM's, and I was initially thinking in that direction, but I kept running across so many positive reviews of the HM's that I couldn't help but be curious. The price point is certainly more attractive with the HM's, and the differences between the Forged and the HM's seem more nuanced that anything else.

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

Only have 2.5 rounds with them. So far, they are working great. Good feel and great distance. I have been pulling everything this year and once I figure that out, I think the irons are going to be the best.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I showed up at my course tonight to play a late 9 holes. Was midway through the 9 holes, and I noticed that my pro shop had put my new 900 HM SW and LW in my bag (they never told me the clubs had come in)! So I spent the last few holes putting the SW and LW through their paces. Very nice wedges--seemed to do everything I would want them to do--full shots, chips and pitches, and bunker shots with the LW. As I was fitted with XP 105 S300 shafts in my irons, I went with XP 115 S300 in the wedges, and those seemed like a good flow. Glad to have the set completed.

f2c72a12fad0b3a85875e0413bcd951f.jpg

09d161063ab627b3cc4885ca26e8a4bd.jpg

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Nice

Driver-Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Project X Evenflow White 65 X-Stiff
3W-Titleist TS3 15.75* w/Project X Evenflow white 65 X-Stiff
Mizuno MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron w/KBS C-Taper 130X (bent to 17.5*)
4-PW Mizuno MP-18 MBw/KBS C-Taper 130X
Mizuno T7 52/09 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Mizuno T7 56/10 w/KBS C-Taper 130X soft stepped
Bridgestone Tour B X

I'll have these in hand in the next week or so. Got them with the C-Taper lite in 110 S

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I showed up at my course tonight to play a late 9 holes. Was midway through the 9 holes, and I noticed that my pro shop had put my new 900 HM SW and LW in my bag (they never told me the clubs had come in)! So I spent the last few holes putting the SW and LW through their paces. Very nice wedges--seemed to do everything I would want them to do--full shots, chips and pitches, and bunker shots with the LW. As I was fitted with XP 105 S300 shafts in my irons, I went with XP 115 S300 in the wedges, and those seemed like a good flow. Glad to have the set completed.

f2c72a12fad0b3a85875e0413bcd951f.jpg

09d161063ab627b3cc4885ca26e8a4bd.jpg

A bump to ask, how are you liking the XP115 shaft in your HM wedges? It is one of the shafts I am looking at for a full set.

A bump to ask, how are you liking the XP115 shaft in your HM wedges? It is one of the shafts I am looking at for a full set.

Hi there, the XP115 shaft seems fine in the HM wedges. The XP 95/105/115 is a nice lineup. Obviously, you should ideally get fit, but if that is a profile/weight that appeals to you, the XP115 is a nice shaft. In full disclosure, my "game" is currently not fine, so I am benching my HM's for the time being and bringing my Karsten irons and Ping wedges back into play. It is very annoying, as I went all-in on the HM's with 4-GW and then SW and LW. But something is just not working for me right now with the HM's. Some combination of my swing and the clubs not meshing well.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Hi there, the XP115 shaft seems fine in the HM wedges. The XP 95/105/115 is a nice lineup. Obviously, you should ideally get fit, but if that is a profile/weight that appeals to you, the XP115 is a nice shaft. In full disclosure, my "game" is currently not fine, so I am benching my HM's for the time being and bringing my Karsten irons and Ping wedges back into play. It is very annoying, as I went all-in on the HM's with 4-GW and then SW and LW. But something is just not working for me right now with the HM's. Some combination of my swing and the clubs not meshing well.

Thanks for the update. Hang in there. As for the XP115, that is the weight range I love. Seems to fit me much better than lighter ones. Tried sub-100 grams and could not make consistent contact.

The forged gap wedge is working out well for me, glad I went that route. I absolutely love the Recoil shafts in these irons.

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Just purchased a set of these babies (6-GW) after a fitting. Can't wait to see how they peform on the course. On the monitor they were great and I have heard glowing reviews so I'm pretty pumped.

D- Cally Epic 10.5* Kiyoshi Purple 03
4W- Cally Steelhead 17 w/ Tensei Blue Reg.
3H-5H- Taylormade M2 w/ Recoil 95's
6i-GW- Mizuno JPX 900 w/ Recoil 95's
Putter- Cameron Del Mar "Smile"
Wedges- 52* and 58* Callaway Forged w/ Recoil 95's

I've moved my Hot Metals on, I really wanted it to work but it's not working out. I am back to my 2012 Anser irons with the KBS Tour 120 stiffs. First, I was fitted but the Modus 3 but in course play, it was too high launch for me, I literally lost a distance and high balls especially off my shorter irons like the 8. My missus was not as good on the Hot Metals, the Ansers were baby draws even on the bad swings, the HM would push or fade. I rarely hook either clubs.

Now the Modus were really sweet shafts, much better in the feel department than the KBS but, in the end, the pure result in dispersion and trajectory counts for my iron swing, the Anser is more accurate even if they are "old" irons. Yeah, I could have spent more money to upgrade to the Modus 120s but those shafts on the BST are gone quick and ebay is double the price. Plus there are rebuild costs as well so for now, its back to the ole irons. I believe the 120s are a paid option in Mizuno. Spec of Anser Hot metals are identifical for lie and length but HM are more juiced up lofts though.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

^ that's my one thing. At least once a round, somehow I'd always seem to get 1 or 2 fliers. The faces are super hot if you strike it dead nuts it seems, which made it tough to always feel confident I was hitting the right distance on good strikes. I had something like 125 into a pin, maybe a hint of a down hill lie, which is a 9i for me. Struck it well and my ball ends up around 140, over the green.

I think with the GI clubs, when you have different lies, especially from rough, you've got to be very careful and account for plenty of roll out. I ended up selling mine and moved back to an older set of GI's that have so far been much more consistent with distances. The feel though is not as nice as the HM's and the looks of the HM are potentially the nicest iron created, ever.

I've moved my Hot Metals on, I really wanted it to work but it's not working out. I am back to my 2012 Anser irons with the KBS Tour 120 stiffs. First, I was fitted but the Modus 3 but in course play, it was too high launch for me, I literally lost a distance and high balls especially off my shorter irons like the 8. My missus was not as good on the Hot Metals, the Ansers were baby draws even on the bad swings, the HM would push or fade. I rarely hook either clubs.

Now the Modus were really sweet shafts, much better in the feel department than the KBS but, in the end, the pure result in dispersion and trajectory counts for my iron swing, the Anser is more accurate even if they are "old" irons. Yeah, I could have spent more money to upgrade to the Modus 120s but those shafts on the BST are gone quick and ebay is double the price. Plus there are rebuild costs as well so for now, its back to the ole irons. I believe the 120s are a paid option in Mizuno. Spec of Anser Hot metals are identifical for lie and length but HM are more juiced up lofts though.

My HMs are KBS 120 stiff and they are marvelous

Gamed i3s for 20 years before upgrading so I understand and have great respect for the older ping clubs

These are going to be a collectors item in time I predict

If you haven't sold them - I'd probably give it another go

^ that's my one thing. At least once a round, somehow I'd always seem to get 1 or 2 fliers. The faces are super hot if you strike it dead nuts it seems, which made it tough to always feel confident I was hitting the right distance on good strikes. I had something like 125 into a pin, maybe a hint of a down hill lie, which is a 9i for me. Struck it well and my ball ends up around 140, over the green.

I think with the GI clubs, when you have different lies, especially from rough, you've got to be very careful and account for plenty of roll out. I ended up selling mine and moved back to an older set of GI's that have so far been much more consistent with distances. The feel though is not as nice as the HM's and the looks of the HM are potentially the nicest iron created, ever.

I've had a handful of 7 irons off the tee that damn near went 190 - just obliterated

Have not had an issue from the fairway though ( I'll club down 1 after playing for a few months )

I've adjusted accordingly and can live with being a little long on occasion

Really have to stress getting fit. I ordered a set using my fitting specs from when I first started playing golf - my beginner fitting from almost 2 years ago.

They arrived, gorgeous, but something didn't feel right about them. I decided to get fit again at a top local fitter. Ended up in a different shaft and lie angle, and it's night and day. Now I'm going to be taking a bath on a 6-PW set with KBS Tour 90s. Having the correct setup is worth it, but I won't make that mistake again. I knew my game had changed a lot in almost 2 years of playing, but I figured the specs would still be close enough. Never again.

I picked up 10 yards getting the right combo for me. :)

Titleist TSR4 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

Really have to stress getting fit. I ordered a set using my fitting specs from when I first started playing golf - my beginner fitting from almost 2 years ago.

They arrived, gorgeous, but something didn't feel right about them. I decided to get fit again at a top local fitter. Ended up in a different shaft and lie angle, and it's night and day. Now I'm going to be taking a bath on a 6-PW set with KBS Tour 90s. Having the correct setup is worth it, but I won't make that mistake again. I knew my game had changed a lot in almost 2 years of playing, but I figured the specs would still be close enough. Never again.

I picked up 10 yards getting the right combo for me. :)

Message me if you want to unload the kbs tour 90s you have.

I went in to my local Vans golf shop and did a "fitting" (I'll use that term loosely for now) for the 900 forged and HM. I tell the guy I want to get fitted into these clubs and he grabs a stock club from each, not the actual Mizuno fitting club and has me hit those. I tell him those are regular Flex shafts and I hit stiff and he acts all annoyed like asking the world of him (they are an authorized Mizuno dealer btw) and we finally start trying the heads on different shafts. He keeps trying to push me into the KBS tour shafts, which I don't mind because that's what I play now, but damnit I want to try them all. He wouldn't even entertain putting the Recoil shafts into the head. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience because I learned a whole lot of nothing. I need to find another dealer.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I went in to my local Vans golf shop and did a "fitting" (I'll use that term loosely for now) for the 900 forged and HM. I tell the guy I want to get fitted into these clubs and he grabs a stock club from each, not the actual Mizuno fitting club and has me hit those. I tell him those are regular Flex shafts and I hit stiff and he acts all annoyed like asking the world of him (they are an authorized Mizuno dealer btw) and we finally start trying the heads on different shafts. He keeps trying to push me into the KBS tour shafts, which I don't mind because that's what I play now, but damnit I want to try them all. He wouldn't even entertain putting the Recoil shafts into the head. Needless to say it wasn't a pleasant experience because I learned a whole lot of nothing. I need to find another dealer.

Sorry to hear you had a bad "fitting" experience. I had a similar situation with my last irons. However, today I had the opposite experience. I went to get fitted for irons with Ping, Mizuno or Callaway in mind. I went to Cool Clubs and had an OUTSTANDING EXPERIENCE. Long story short, ended up with JPX 900 HM with Steelfiber i70 shafts. Cant wait to get them. They also checked my current irons that were "fitted" for me as I mentioned above and realized how completely off everything was from length, lie, shaft frequency, etc. I am very excited to know I have pured, truly fitted irons coming my way. I hope everything works out for you!! Have a great weekend!

Gamed i3s for 20 years before upgrading so I understand and have great respect for the older ping clubs

Thanks for the encouragement but I have moved them on the bay. I've had 2 rounds with my Ansers and I have zero regrets with the decision, seems like the Anser is more forgiving and I am back to my baby draws and the worst shots are not as punishing either. I literally save about 5 strokes per round from my Anser mishits vs HM mishits. I play the same course all the time and my miss now is just not as bad or bad at all, pretty much tracking on target with baby fade (as versus my called shot of a baby draw). Combo of shaft and head, I guess.

Now I do miss the much prettier head of the Mizzys. Next time... all the best with your Hot Metals but keep those Pings, just in case after the honeymoon. Jus sayin' :)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Thanks for the encouragement but I have moved them on the bay. I've had 2 rounds with my Ansers and I have zero regrets with the decision, seems like the Anser is more forgiving and I am back to my baby draws and the worst shots are not as punishing either. I literally save about 5 strokes per round from the from my Anser mishits vs HM mishits. I play the same course all the time and my miss now is just not as bad or bad at all, pretty much tracking on target with baby fade (as versus my called shot of a baby draw). Combo of shaft and head, I guess.

Now I do miss the much prettier head of the Mizzys. Next time... all the best with your Hot Metals but keep those Pings, just in case after the honeymoon. Jus sayin' :)

If that was your first time with a Nippon, I'd say it was that far more than the clubs. I did not find the Modus felt better than KBS. Nippons are certainly trendy, I have yet to hit a Modus shaft I like. Balloon balls. I have not hit the 125 and I gather those are most like True Temper/KBS, so maybe I would like that one. I hated the 105/120/130. Super Peening Blue is the only Nippon shaft I've ever tried that I liked. Maybe it's just me, but in the wind Nippons fall well short of others.

For my swing, C Taper Lite and Project X both blow them away. I like solid feel and penetrating flight, not soft and floaty. The HMs hit the ball high as it is so I think a lower launch shaft fits me better with the spring-faced models. Your Ansers would match up better with the 900 Forged.