Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

Thanks for the encouragement but I have moved them on the bay. I've had 2 rounds with my Ansers and I have zero regrets with the decision, seems like the Anser is more forgiving and I am back to my baby draws and the worst shots are not as punishing either. I literally save about 5 strokes per round from the from my Anser mishits vs HM mishits. I play the same course all the time and my miss now is just not as bad or bad at all, pretty much tracking on target with baby fade (as versus my called shot of a baby draw). Combo of shaft and head, I guess.

Now I do miss the much prettier head of the Mizzys. Next time... all the best with your Hot Metals but keep those Pings, just in case after the honeymoon. Jus sayin' :)

If that was your first time with a Nippon, I'd say it was that far more than the clubs. I did not find the Modus felt better than KBS. Nippons are certainly trendy, I have yet to hit a Modus shaft I like. Balloon balls. I have not hit the 125 and I gather those are most like True Temper/KBS, so maybe I would like that one. I hated the 105/120/130. Super Peening Blue is the only Nippon shaft I've ever tried that I liked. Maybe it's just me, but in the wind Nippons fall well short of others.

For my swing, C Taper Lite and Project X both blow them away. I like solid feel and penetrating flight, not soft and floaty. The HMs hit the ball high as it is so I think a lower launch shaft fits me better with the spring-faced models. Your Ansers would match up better with the 900 Forged.

Interesting, yeah, balloon balls for sure. Here is the thing that got me, in my fitting I could have either gone CTaper Lite or Modus. I have the CTL in my UDI 2 iron and it is a very penetrating flight. The CTL was a little longer in the HM fitting. But the Modus really had a smoother feeling so I ordered my HM with that. What I should have kept an eye on was the peak height, I knew the HM was higher launching. KBS was not on the radar so I am very familiar with what this shaft does with my iron swing. I actually had bad KBS memory with golfers elbow and wrist because I use to hit down a ton, played awesome but I was on the IBU afterwards every round. This happened till re-factored my swing, then I transitioned to my G25 with Recoil Prototype to help and then the Hot Metals.

I think the final nail in the coffin was my misses with the HM. I know the Indian is to be blamed but that miss was always day since Day 1, I just ignored it. I will look at the forged 900 next time as my Ansers are getting old. I'll keep my G25 recoil till I really turn senior (plus I will never recover the cost of the prototypes anyway so Id rather not give that set away & use it later in life).

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bump to ask, how are you liking the XP115 shaft in your HM wedges? It is one of the shafts I am looking at for a full set.

Hi there, the XP115 shaft seems fine in the HM wedges. The XP 95/105/115 is a nice lineup. Obviously, you should ideally get fit, but if that is a profile/weight that appeals to you, the XP115 is a nice shaft. In full disclosure, my "game" is currently not fine, so I am benching my HM's for the time being and bringing my Karsten irons and Ping wedges back into play. It is very annoying, as I went all-in on the HM's with 4-GW and then SW and LW. But something is just not working for me right now with the HM's. Some combination of my swing and the clubs not meshing well.

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Something is just not right with the HM's for me right now. Went back to my Apex's for the time being. Thought of reshafting, but I have the same shaft in my Apex's and HM's. Maybe its the low bounce or turf interaction of the HM's. Ughhh..

I'm currently experiencing the same issue. Something is just not right with the HM's for me right now. Went back to my Apex's for the time being. Thought of reshafting, but I have the same shaft in my Apex's and HM's. Maybe its the low bounce or turf interaction of the HM's. Ughhh..

It is strange, but this is the second straight season that I have started out with Mizunos in the bag (JPX 825 last season, 900 HM

this season), and within a couple of months, the Mizunos are out, and Ping irons and wedges are back in. I am actually playing Ping G's right now (not Karstens) with a Glide 2.0 ES LW, and I am simply striking the ball much better. This takes away nothing from the Mizunos--different strokes for different folks. But I suspect I have seen the light, and will simply stick with Ping irons for the most part from now on.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

• 2 weeks later...

I finally received my set and got a round of 18 holes in. Here is my first impression of the Hot Metals. I will preface this by saying I had a very old set of MX-200's and have extreme specs (-2 inches short and 4 degrees flat). I had built my prior set with a builder, but was not fit the first time. Therefore, the change in getting fit for a great set by a great builder for the first time may have a lot to do with my experience. However, the specs on these clubs were nearly identical to my prior MX-200's.

My experience was that the Hot Metal 900's are awesome. The one thing I will say is that the Hot Metal 900's launch HIGH . I loved the flight because I could use the additional height. They did not balloon. They got out quickly but were very high. I really enjoyed the ball flight as well as the angle they came into the green. With the short irons the ball did not run out much at all and ended very close to my divot (I play a Callaway Chrome Soft ball for reference). If you hit it high already I would definitely recommend hitting these with different shafts before deciding.

As for performance they were great I actually had three birdies in my first round all from well hit iron shots. I typically only have 1 birdie a round with a lot of pars and bogies (with the occasional dreaded bogey +). The Hot Metals are SUPER easy to hit. My favorite part of the recoil/hot metal combination is that well struck shots feel like you barely hit the ball at all. I don't know how better to describe it, but if feels like the ball just flies off with no vibration or anything. For a cast club they feel just as good as my prior MX-200's. I didn't get any fliers like some people have seen, but my swing speed is rather low and my clubs are very short (-2 inches) so that may have something to do with it. For reference my 130 club is my 8 iron. The yardages felt very consistent to me.

As for distance, I didn't pick up any additional distance. With that said, this set is a half inch shorter than my prior set. I also didn't lose any distance with this set-up. I would have expected to lose a bit of distance with the shorter irons, but I think the stronger lofts kept the yardage equal. I think most people will likely pick up about half a club length unless they are playing irons with similar lofts. Having the shorter clubs I can control more and having a higher launch without losing any distance was a very pleasant surprise.

The forgiveness was a noticeably better than my prior set. Off center shots still lost distance, but were not as severe as my prior set. I didn't notice much side spin and didn't really move the ball either direction. Mostly just straight shots. I typically play a small fade with the irons, but played the ball mostly straight with these with the high launch. I didn't really try to move the ball right to left with these, but was able to hit a cut if I wanted to. While I don't normally move the ball both ways, I would say these irons tended to want to hit the ball straight for me. I'm not sure how well a player who likes to move the ball would be able to with these irons, so that could be one downside for players who really like to swing the ball like Bubba. I didn't get to take a full swing with the gap wedge with the set because I was never at a correct distance, but I did have two half or three quarter swings and both felt fine and went the correct distance for me. I will report back if I see any difference in the gap wedge

I have only had one round and I will report back when I get a few more rounds in, but I do think these clubs are great for mid handicap players or even lower handicap players who would like a little more forgiveness and a high launch. For me they paired very well with the Recoil shafts. If you are on the fence about trying these and/or are looking for an iron that is forgiving and launches high, I would say give these a try.

D- Cally Epic 10.5* Kiyoshi Purple 03
4W- Cally Steelhead 17 w/ Tensei Blue Reg.
3H-5H- Taylormade M2 w/ Recoil 95's
6i-GW- Mizuno JPX 900 w/ Recoil 95's
Putter- Cameron Del Mar "Smile"
Wedges- 52* and 58* Callaway Forged w/ Recoil 95's

Will say, having the HM's for a short time and went back to my older irons, I do wish I kept them. They may not feel as nice as my Rbladez, they are about 1/2 to 3/4 club longer. Could partly be shaft (Modus3 best shaft I've probably used) but I think the design lends itself to being slightly higher launching and lower spinning than what I have now. My Rbladez hold a green just as well as any player's iron I've used.

I've easily lost 10-12 yards carry on my 7i, which really sucks. I was hitting 7i into flags around 165, and now I'm taking on flags about 150 with the 7i. I think getting some Modus3 back in would give me back 4-5 yards more carry simply from lowering spin, but I do honestly believe the boron plus lower cg is helping kill some spin, too.

I don't think I'll spend the $250 for new shafts though.. Better off putting that toward Hot Metal 2's or G400's.

Will say, having the HM's for a short time and went back to my older irons, I do wish I kept them. They may not feel as nice as my Rbladez, they are about 1/2 to 3/4 club longer. Could partly be shaft (Modus3 best shaft I've probably used) but I think the design lends itself to being slightly higher launching and lower spinning than what I have now. My Rbladez hold a green just as well as any player's iron I've used.

I've easily lost 10-12 yards carry on my 7i, which really sucks. I was hitting 7i into flags around 165, and now I'm taking on flags about 150 with the 7i. I think getting some Modus3 back in would give me back 4-5 yards more carry simply from lowering spin, but I do honestly believe the boron plus lower cg is helping kill some spin, too.

I don't think I'll spend the $250 for new shafts though.. Better off putting that toward Hot Metal 2's or G400's.

I think the 900 hot metals use chromoly rather than the boron

What about them made you expect shorter distances with the short irons?

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't think the "short irons" would lose distance. I meant that the entire set is actually .5 inches shorter in actual length than my prior set. I had always thought that all things held consistent (center strike, speed, etc) shorter clubs lost distance. However, I am far from a club expert so I could be way off base. I'm guess .5 inches shorter doesn't make too much of a difference anyways. I could have explained that in a much more descriptive way so I didn't confuse anyone.

If your talking about the gap wedge part, I had read many comments on this thread that some players were noticing a large gap in distance between the PW and GW of this set when taking full shots. I have not had enough experience to say that's true or not, but some individuals have stated that this was an issue with their set.

I found very similar results in terms or launch. These babies launch super high. I have heard several people say they picked up 1/2 a club to 3/4 of a club in terms of length when they switched to HM's. I have never hit the Modus shaft, but I think every comment I have ever read on here about them has been very positive.

Did you switch back do to feel or where the HM's not performing for you?

Had the ping g's for awhile but did not like the feel of them at all (same as the g400 range test) so went to apex cf16. Great clubs. Feel good and great distance (little low spin thou). Ended up purchasing the hm with Nippon. As mazes of the feel not much different than the apex. Higher launch than apex which was good for me as a low hitter in general. It is a amazing that when pured you feel nothing and the ball speed...that's why I play the game. Shots like those. Purchased some srixon 545 and great irons also but unlike the hm metal miss it a little watch the distance fall off. Hm are very forgiving. Ranged a few irons (like buying new golf things...crazy I know) but for me nothing has or is performing better. Driver thou...new ping g400 is real deal!

I found very similar results in terms or launch. These babies launch super high. I have heard several people say they picked up 1/2 a club to 3/4 of a club in terms of length when they switched to HM's. I have never hit the Modus shaft, but I think every comment I have ever read on here about them has been very positive.

I know many people who did not care for the Modus shafts, including me. I find they tend to balloon and in wind they did not work for me because I hit it plenty high already. Hard to flight down compared to Project X, DG or CTaper Lite.

I have not hit the Modus 125, which I hear is the mosf like the three I mentioned, but I did not like the 105 or 120. The one Nippon shaft I thought delivered a solid impacf was the Super Peening Blue. The combo of the HM and Modus was one that I thought launched way too high. I hit them much better in a C Taper Lite.

Granted, I have too quick of a transition, but I also don't like to feel nothing at impact, I like to feel the cliubhead powering through. Jusf a preference but others have had the same experience. I don't even think Nippon is the best Japanese shaft. Have tested a few Shimadas and thought they were better for me. And Shimada has an excellent manufacturing technique that produces shafts with no spine.

I ended up going with Srixon 965 in C Taper Lite. The 965 is the most forgiving muscleback club I have ever hit, same forgiveness as the cavity back 765 to me but more power. If I opted for one of the spring-faced models, the Cobra Forged Tec beat out the Hot Metals because of sole grind. Really like the soles on the Forged Tec, a little more effective bounce and fantastic through the turf. Very underrated design on that club. HM has the beveled leading edge, which helps, but bounce is super low on those and I like a little more like you see in Pings.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The only 2 things that drove me away from the HM's were the really springy feel, and the low spin. It was tough holding greens with a 5 or 6i, especially on par 3's. Almost no chance of it not rolling into the fringe most of the time. With that said though, I was hitting the 7i around 170, whereas back to the Rbladez it's back down to 155-160. I find myself using my 6i a lot more now that I got rid of them. I probably could have weakened the lofts a bit on the HM's and gained some spin to help combat the roll out issues. But that's the game you play with GI clubs.. you get superior forgiveness but it can be tough to stick a green on the longer clubs.

I know many people who did not care for the Modus shafts, including me. I find they tend to balloon and in wind they did not work for me because I hit it plenty high already. Hard to flight down compared to Project X, DG or CTaper Lite.

I have not hit the Modus 125, which I hear is the mosf like the three I mentioned, but I did not like the 105 or 120. The one Nippon shaft I thought delivered a solid impacf was the Super Peening Blue. The combo of the HM and Modus was one that I thought launched way too high. I hit them much better in a C Taper Lite.

Granted, I have too quick of a transition, but I also don't like to feel nothing at impact, I like to feel the cliubhead powering through. Jusf a preference but others have had the same experience. I don't even think Nippon is the best Japanese shaft. Have tested a few Shimadas and thought they were better for me. And Shimada has an excellent manufacturing technique that produces shafts with no spine.

I ended up going with Srixon 965 in C Taper Lite. The 965 is the most forgiving muscleback club I have ever hit, same forgiveness as the cavity back 765 to me but more power. If I opted for one of the spring-faced models, the Cobra Forged Tec beat out the Hot Metals because of sole grind. Really like the soles on the Forged Tec, a little more effective bounce and fantastic through the turf. Very underrated design on that club. HM has the beveled leading edge, which helps, but bounce is super low on those and I like a little more like you see in Pings.

Just based on what you're saying, you don't sound like a candidate for a Modus 105 shaft. If you are into DG and PX, the Modus profile is going to send you to the moon. I found the Modus 105 to be one of the best shafts for medium speed players... fairly high launch but does not add more spin.. I've never hit irons as far as I did with that shaft in the HM's. I was hitting the 5i over 200 yards which is insane, because normally I hit the 5i into 185-190 yard flags.

However, due to the chromoly (my mistake with the boron, that's mp-25, etc) the feel isn't as good as my Rbladez. The R's feel so silky with a softer ball and pure middle strike. Never got that once out of the HM.

I was fitted for the HM900's and thought I would really like them. After 10 rounds and a couple of trips to the driving range, I am a little disappointed with my Hot Metals. I played AP1's for seven seasons and they became a no brainier to hit. I am struggling to hit the Hot Metals solid and have a lot of thin shots and pulls. Maybe this is a good club for many but not for me. Feeling like I made a big mistake. My old irons are going back into the bag for tomorrow.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I was fitted for the HM900's and thought I would really like them. After 10 rounds and a couple of trips to the driving range, I am a little disappointed with my Hot Metals. I played AP1's for seven seasons and they became a no brainier to hit. I am struggling to hit the Hot Metals solid and have a lot of thin shots and pulls. Maybe this is a good club for many but not for me. Feeling like I made a big mistake. My old irons are going back into the bag for tomorrow.

The AP1 has significantly more bounce than the HM. That does not necessarily explain your specific misses but the AP1 would offer more forgiveness in general.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I went from AP1's to HM's and would never look back. I'm 1/2 club longer, more accurate, and the feel of the HM's is much softer than the AP1's in my opinion.

What shafts on AP1 and HM? Wondering if there was a big difference in specs?

The AP1 has significantly more bounce than the HM. That does not necessarily explain your specific misses but the AP1 would offer more forgiveness in general.

Hitting the ball thin has nothing to do with the bounce. AP1 bounce is about the same as the HM anyway. If anything they have less effective bounce because the leading edge is sharper.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

The 710 AP1’s have the Nippon NS Pro 105T shaft, regular flex

The Mizuno HM have the UST Mamiya Recoil 95. regular flex

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

The 105T is heavier. That may explain why you don't hit the ball as solidly. If you have a proper gram scale you might want to quantify the difference. A change in shaft weight can have a very noticeable affect on some peoples swings.

I am also hitting the recoil 95's in HM's in regular flex. I think this set us is GREAT for individuals with slowerer swing speeds, really smooth transitions, or for shorter players like myself.

I played another 9 holes last night and the results were very similar to my first round with the HM's. The irons were launching very high and landing very softly. I haven't found the spin to be too low to hold greens at all. This may have a lot to due with the high launch and steep decent into the green. The 7-PW in these are extremely point and shoot for me. I am able to feel very confident I can hit my spots. I still haven't had a "flier" yet with these, but the sample size is fairly small.

There was one shot in particular that I was very happy with. I had about 120 yards into the green (a 9 iron for me). I hit the shot off the toe a little which would typically come up short of the green. However, the shot drew in slightly and landed about 20 feet short of the flag and rolled out a bit leaving a makeable birdie putt. I very surprised by how forgiving the low irons are. I knew they would be forgiving, but this shot showed just how forgiving they can be. The shot wasn't terrible, but I could definitely tell it was off the toe a bit. With my prior mizuno 200's that shot would have come up short of the green I think

All in all the irons have been great for me and just what I was looking for. Again, I'm nor sure how a scratch golfer would feel about these clubs, but I think a better player (5-10 handicap) could play these easily. For reference my handicap has been as low as a 7 and is currently a 12. I had a child two years ago and took a slight break from golf ;). I can see my handicap getting back down in the single digits fairly shortly with these in the bag.

I have played the HM for about two months now.

For me, they are great!

I used to play Adams CB3, got fitted for the HM (came down to Srixon z565 or HM), settled on Project X LZ shaft.

I am normally a high launch player, but the HM actually give me medium-high trajectory. The spin is very good, a 7 iron (about 160y for me) rolls out about 6 feet.

They are half a club longer than my old clubs and very forgiving.

The only very minor negative is that on slightly thin shots the sound is a bit clicky. But that is easily ignored when the ball still goes straight and ends close to where a solid shots would have landed.

I was just fit for the HM's. It was a tough call between these and the 565's but I went with the Mizuno's. The fitter told me my ball flight will be lower than my TM RSi's but everything I've read in this thread states the opposite. Hmmm, I'll have to see at the range. I can't wait to really hit these beauties.

I was just fit for the HM's. It was a tough call between these and the 565's but I went with the Mizuno's. The fitter told me my ball flight will be lower than my TM RSi's but everything I've read in this thread states the opposite. Hmmm, I'll have to see at the range. I can't wait to really hit these beauties.

I think it really depends on the entire set-up. I have mine fit with Recoil-95 graphite shafts which are also high launch so mine launch substantially higher than my prior build. In addition, the lots are 1*-2* stronger than my prior irons. This may cause them to launch very slightly lower than your prior irons with all other things held consistent (but not to noticeably). I think the RSi's launch fairly high to begin with so if the shaft is lower launching and the loft is slightly lower I could definitely see these clubs launching lower for you.

With that said, I think you will really like the feel of these irons when compared to the RSi's. The RSi's are fine irons, but these really feel GREAT for a cast iron. Mizuno is very good at making great feeling irons, but I have to say I was very surprised with how good these felt on well struck shots and also slight mishits. I really thought I would feel a large difference going from an older forged club to these, but the difference in feel was much less steep than I had anticipated.

I really wanted to like the Hot Metals but I a=have to say coupled with the recoil 95 F4 (stiff) I have lost 8-10 yards over my JPX 800's with KBS tour shafts in stiff. I love the way I feel after a round of golf with the recoils and I love the high ball flight and soft landing but for a guy that only carries a 7 iron 150-153 a 8-10 yard loss in distance per club is significant. I should have gone with a regular flex for sure and the modus 105 would have probably been a safer bet to restore my lost distance. I am 53 with a mid 80's swing with a 7 iron so I need my lost distance back. I am not sure were to turn I am also a live long sweeper and a grove low is bunishing on the Hot Metals...I am indeed a bit disappointed.

I really wanted to like the Hot Metals but I a=have to say coupled with the recoil 95 F4 (stiff) I have lost 8-10 yards over my JPX 800's with KBS tour shafts in stiff. I love the way I feel after a round of golf with the recoils and I love the high ball flight and soft landing but for a guy that only carries a 7 iron 150-153 a 8-10 yard loss in distance per club is significant. I should have gone with a regular flex for sure and the modus 105 would have probably been a safer bet to restore my lost distance. I am 53 with a mid 80's swing with a 7 iron so I need my lost distance back. I am not sure were to turn I am also a live long sweeper and a grove low is bunishing on the Hot Metals...I am indeed a bit disappointed.

Are you missing the center of the face? There is a 20 gram difference in shaft weight from KBS Tour to 95 F4 so could your tempo be getting messed up by the lighter shafts?

Are you missing the center of the face? There is a 20 gram difference in shaft weight from KBS Tour to 95 F4 so could your tempo be getting messed up by the lighter shafts?

I am a pretty good contact iron player as I said my miss is thin low on the club face as I am a sweeper. I do have a really quick transition and agressive move through the ball. I really had a hard time getting used to the lighter shaft it took about 10 rounds and I still cant feel the club head as well as I could with the old 800 series. I really think it is mostly the wrong shaft coupled with the Hot Metals I think suit a digger more over a sweeper.

I think it really depends on the entire set-up. I have mine fit with Recoil-95 graphite shafts which are also high launch so mine launch substantially higher than my prior build. In addition, the lots are 1*-2* stronger than my prior irons. This may cause them to launch very slightly lower than your prior irons with all other things held consistent (but not to noticeably). I think the RSi's launch fairly high to begin with so if the shaft is lower launching and the loft is slightly lower I could definitely see these clubs launching lower for you.

With that said, I think you will really like the feel of these irons when compared to the RSi's. The RSi's are fine irons, but these really feel GREAT for a cast iron. Mizuno is very good at making great feeling irons, but I have to say I was very surprised with how good these felt on well struck shots and also slight mishits. I really thought I would feel a large difference going from an older forged club to these, but the difference in feel was much less steep than I had anticipated.

I also went recently from the RSI 1's (Reax 90 Reg shafts) that I have had since they came out. I enjoyed them but, I had the itch to get fit again and heard great things about the JPX 900 HM's. They seemed to be what I was after. I got fit and went through many different shafts during the fitting. Ended up with the JPX 900 HM with Steel Fiber i70 shafts. I have been playing these for over a month now and could not be happier. I was very concerned that I didnt get the right shafts initially, as my first round after getting them, the flight was alot lower than what I was used to with the RSI's. That all changed. Probably toward the end of the first round. Now I am sooo glad I went with the Steel Fiber i70's. Now, the flight is up around what I was used to and the flight is significantly straighter and more consistent. Anyhow, I hope it works out. I could really see how the shaft can either make or break a club.

I have never found a shaft that outperforms KBS Tour distance wise - I just struggle with dispersion. I too am shorter with the Recoil 95's. The recoil 460 was longer! In the end I went with PX LZ 6.0 even though I lost some distance with these shafts too. Swing speed dropped 2-3 mph compared to the KBS but dispersion was better. Once you are a KBS guy it is difficult to move to other shafts. I think it is the higher balance point that is more suited to some swings. I really need to try the new S-taper......