Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fitted for the HM900's and thought I would really like them. After 10 rounds and a couple of trips to the driving range, I am a little disappointed with my Hot Metals. I played AP1's for seven seasons and they became a no brainier to hit. I am struggling to hit the Hot Metals solid and have a lot of thin shots and pulls. Maybe this is a good club for many but not for me. Feeling like I made a big mistake. My old irons are going back into the bag for tomorrow.
I went from AP1's to HM's and would never look back. I'm 1/2 club longer, more accurate, and the feel of the HM's is much softer than the AP1's in my opinion.

Curious which model of the AP1. I recently hit the 718 AP1 and they felt just as good, maybe not better but certainly no worst than my Hot Metals.

I played the 710 AP1 irons for seven seasons. Had the HM for about 10 rounds and returned them for the 718 AP1 irons. I now have the 718's and will be playing them for a long time.

What did you learn about the HMs over that time to prompt you to move on from them?

I've got 712 AP1 and the HMs and 718s are on my short list.

I had trouble pulling most of my shots with the HM's. I think they felt too light so I was swinging way to hard. The AP1's have a much better feel and I hit them straight.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

I would like to thank everyone who provided valuable feedback for these clubs, and also many others as well. I went through 3 proper fittings at 3 different places this year, paid the cost of 2 and ended up getting the Hot Metals. I only picked up golf seriously just over 2 years ago as a middle aged guy who needed to ruin more long walks. I bought some rocketbladez cheap when I started but they never did feel great and I didn't realize how bad I swung them until I tried a bunch of clubs the first two fittings. There were quite a few options I considered but went into the 3rd fitting sure I was going to come out with the winner and locked down the hot metals.

All the feedback was absolutely correct. They are really nice swinging clubs and I find them extremely consistent, when my swing supports it. I have seen a small sampling of instances of "hitting it on the screws" and watching the ball launch but I don't find it extraordinarily punishing. I really like the control I feel I have with this club, which may just be the difference in having something that is properly fit. Either way, I couldn't make more of a recommendation for the JPX 900 Hot Metal and I look forward to pushing my handicap down to the mid teens next year.

I had trouble pulling most of my shots with the HM's. I think they felt too light so I was swinging way to hard. The AP1's have a much better feel and I hit them straight.

Mizuno has a lot of great shaft options they offer at no extra charge. They have a fitting cart with different shafts too that you can try before ordering.

I think the AP1's look nice behind the ball and all but the HM's have a better loft progression (my opinion). AP1's have two gap wedges for example. Just my opinion of course, but I just can't get behind a set that requires two gap wedges.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

• 3 months later...

I'm starting to wonder about my set of Mizuno JPX900 HM that I've now had for 3-4 months, I'm having too much flange/turf interaction that is bothersome and seems to be affecting my shots; I'm having second thoughts about this wide flange on the sole. I'm going to switch out a bit with my old set of Callaway X22 Tour and see if that feels any better.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I'm starting to wonder about my set of Mizuno JPX900 HM that I've now had for 3-4 months, I'm having too much flange/turf interaction that is bothersome and seems to be affecting my shots; I'm having second thoughts about this wide flange on the sole. I'm going to switch out a bit with my old set of Callaway X22 Tour and see if that feels any better.

All I can say is, coming from having played Ping's for years (wide sole/flange), my Hot Metals took some getting used to as the sole width is much thinner and I have to make sure I don't get the ground too fat when I'm trying to step on an iron. Haven't notice any odd turf interactions though.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Have had my HM's for 3 rounds now (came from RAZR X Forged irons). To the eye they definitely instill a bit more confidence and I L O V E the satin finish. As I'm making some grip/swing changes I've noticed that I can hit some towering shots in the 8-iron and below. MUCH higher than I've been used to in my last 10-15 years of golf. That being said, I think I'm going to try and bag mixed set because the Forged model just looks absolutely gorgeous. Maybe 5-6-7 in the HM's and 8-9-PW in the Forged.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Probably what I meant by 'turf interaction' is the flange....it's so wide that if I don't flush it, I feel like it's affecting my shot like the bounce on a wedge affects a shot. There, I think that's the perfect description of my problem. I do like the beveled front edge, but now that I've had the clubs a few months, I just feel like 'there's too much metal down there' when I'm over the ball. I'm going to take out my old clubs for comparison, and make a decision whether to go for something with a narrower sole.

I'm probably coming at if from the opposite side that you indicated, that going from Ping's wider sole to the HotMetal's narrower sole (is Ping's really that much wider than HotMetal?, hard to believe, maybe that's why I could never go with Ping, except their recent thin-sole models look nice). I came from Callaway X-22 Tour's to HotMetal. I'm willing to 'test them out further' but I'm much like the Tiger/Phil mentality of not wanting to change my swing to fit a club, but rather, looking to find a club that fits my swing (from recent stories about Tiger's fitting approach being much like Mickelson's).

All I can say is, coming from having played Ping's for years (wide sole/flange), my Hot Metals took some getting used to as the sole width is much thinner and I have to make sure I don't get the ground too fat when I'm trying to step on an iron. Haven't notice any odd turf interactions though.

GHIN Index 12.9

Probably what I meant by 'turf interaction' is the flange....it's so wide that if I don't flush it, I feel like it's affecting my shot like the bounce on a wedge affects a shot. There, I think that's the perfect description of my problem. I do like the beveled front edge, but now that I've had the clubs a few months, I just feel like 'there's too much metal down there' when I'm over the ball. I'm going to take out my old clubs for comparison, and make a decision whether to go for something with a narrower sole.

I'm probably coming at if from the opposite side that you indicated, that going from Ping's wider sole to the HotMetal's narrower sole (is Ping's really that much wider than HotMetal?, hard to believe, maybe that's why I could never go with Ping, except their recent thin-sole models look nice). I came from Callaway X-22 Tour's to HotMetal. I'm willing to 'test them out further' but I'm much like the Tiger/Phil mentality of not wanting to change my swing to fit a club, but rather, looking to find a club that fits my swing (from recent stories about Tiger's fitting approach being much like Mickelson's).

I get what you're saying. Coming from your side (player's irons to Hot Metals) I'm sure there's definitely a feeling of too much sole width and metal on the lower half of the club. My experience is the opposite coming from PING's. Though I'd argue that the HMs get a bad rap as a "SGI" iron. Mizuno is known for its player's irons and that rubs off even with HMs in terms of bounce and sole width compared to other SGI and even GI irons on the market. Plus, IMO, they're the best looking SGI/GI irons out there (maybe 2nd to PING's i200s also, in the low-mid GI market).

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

My only complaint is the gap wedge, much shorter than the PW and not much longer than my 54° MD3. Might get its loft strengthened a degree or 2.

+1 to this. My Hot Metal PW is my 120 yrd club with its stock 45* loft (and Mods 105s shaft). The HM Gap has a stock 50* but I can maybe get 80 yrds out of it on a full swing. Switched it out for my old Titleist SM4 (52* bent to 50*) and I get 90-100 yrds with it easily. So weird. Do have a heavier (125g) shaft in the SM4 which probably gives me 5-7 yrds but still. Definitely plan on getting the HM GW bent to 48*

My only complaint is the gap wedge, much shorter than the PW and not much longer than my 54° MD3. Might get its loft strengthened a degree or 2.

+1 to this. My Hot Metal PW is my 120 yrd club with its stock 45* loft (and Mods 105s shaft). The HM Gap has a stock 50* but I can maybe get 80 yrds out of it on a full swing. Switched it out for my old Titleist SM4 (52* bent to 50*) and I get 90-100 yrds with it easily. So weird. Do have a heavier (125g) shaft in the SM4 which probably gives me 5-7 yrds but still. Definitely plan on getting the HM GW bent to 48*

Thanks for this information fellas. I'm going with the HM's with Recoil 95's 5-GW. If I find it the same, I too will go with the bending. I've always liked my gap wedge to match my set since I use it more for full shots. However, it needs to be dialed in so there isn't a big gap. Thanks again!

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

I got mine yesterday 4-GW Project x LZ 6.0. Incredible feeling clubs. It took me 10 minutes in the grass range to figure out strike because as others have said it felt as though there was a lot more "dig" through the turf.

That said, once I figured it out I was hitting them really well. Good feel, nice sound and a lovely draw. The GW I'll need to try in play, normally I can get my GW to go 94-99 yards but using my Bushnell I was around the 78 yard mark consistently.

Should be able to get a round in over the weekend to see how they perform live.

The gap wedge on these is really crap. The forged version compliments the Hot Metal set much better, isn't hard to hit, and looks closer to the HMs anyway.

Titleist TSR2 // Autoflex SF505

Titleist TSR2 16.5 // Vista Pro 60s

Ping G25 20, 23 // Tour AD True Spec

Titleist T200/T150 5-GW // Steelfiber i80PR

Titleist SM9 54.10, 58.12 // Steelfiber i80r

L.A.B. Golf DF3 // L.A.B. x TPT

I've had 2 set of HM's and had zero issues with the gap wedge. If anything I found it better that other gap wedges in other brands sets.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 60 S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Callaway Jaws Raw 54* & 58*
Odyssey 5K #7 34”

I don't mind the gap wedge. It's not as hot as the pitching wedge, so you might have a gapping problem depending on your swing speed. I tend to get a carry distance of 125-130 out of the pitching wedge while the gap wedge really maxes out at about 110-115. It also can feel pretty harsh unless you middle it, but I don't feel it's much different than most cast wedges.

Haha, I like how you put it re:affair. I may not be far behind. I'll wait until it warms up in the spring to give it a last 'fling'.

My affair with the HM’s is over for the second time. I went back to my rsi1’s.

GHIN Index 12.9

I wonder if it has to do with the 'bounce'? I agree there is something screwy with the HM gap wedge distance, my JPX 900 HM GW (50* loft , 7* bounce) does not fly as far as my Cleveland 50* (10* bounce), not even close. So I delegate it to shorter distances, but I am getting better with it for shorter chips. I'd probably equate it distance wise as my Cleveland 58* loft wedge on full shots. Go figure.

https://www.mizunousa.com/product/golf-jpx-900-hm-4-gw-steel-rh.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=100358

I don't mind the gap wedge. It's not as hot as the pitching wedge, so you might have a gapping problem depending on your swing speed. I tend to get a carry distance of 125-130 out of the pitching wedge while the gap wedge really maxes out at about 110-115. It also can feel pretty harsh unless you middle it, but I don't feel it's much different than most cast wedges.

GHIN Index 12.9

My 50 HM is my favourite club in the short irons. Had another few rounds with it and it is flying the distances required, it stops very quickly and is pretty nifty for the odd chip and run.

Other favourite club would be the 4 iron, seriously making my hybrid redundant in terms of distance, trajectory etc.

Will be considering Mizuno for other clubs when they are up for renewal.

My affair with the HM’s is over for the second time. I went back to my rsi1’s.

I've got close to 2 dozen rounds with the HMs, and I'm still on a honeymoon. No thoughts at all about going back to the RSi1s. While I do have a gap issue with the GW and PW, I think it's more the PW is long instead of the GW is short. The HM GW is about the same distance as my RSi set, but the HM, PW is longer when I flush it. I'm enjoying the clubs.