Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 2 set of HM's and had zero issues with the gap wedge. If anything I found it better that other gap wedges in other brands sets.

Notice either of your bags have the HMs now. Just wanted a change ?

Also bagged them for about 2 weeks and dumped them for my i200s. I really liked the idea of more forgiveness in a nice profile...but I just couldn't get used to the larger heads especially In the 5 and 6. I actually hit the GW very straight...high long darts.

Ping offers so much more in terms of weighting and lies angles....I will likely never switch brands.

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

• 2 weeks later...

Chromoly Corrosion has now appeared on my new Hot Metal irons. The first corrosion appeared on a PW after one round and in the same day. The second club to be affected was a 9 iron, second round and appeared within 2 hrs of finishing a round. Not going well and did not have the same experience with Pings. Surely Mizunos aren’t that susceptible to corrosion.

Chromoly Corrosion has now appeared on my new Hot Metal irons. The first corrosion appeared on a PW after one round and in the same day. The second club to be affected was a 9 iron, second round and appeared within 2 hrs of finishing a round. Not going well and did not have the same experience with Pings. Surely Mizunos aren’t that susceptible to corrosion.

The Srixon 565's are way smaller than the HM. A better comparison to the 565 is the MP-H5's.

Nessism. I know you have played a lot of ping irons in the past, and notice you play the hot metals now. how would you compare them to the ping i20, i25, or I e1. Thanks

They are larger than the i-series Ping's. I prefer the Ping sole shape with the greater bounce. The HM's have a beveled leading edge which saves the day for me though. The HM's have a spring face so they are longer, but for guys that can strike their irons dead center all the time I think the i-series Ping's would be more consistent and predictable for distance.

How is the turf interaction with the HM's compared to say the Ping ie1? I played G's for a bit last season but could never get along with the soles. Didn't mind the shape or offset but soles did not work for my swing?

Longtime i5 user and then G25 for a few seasons and both seemed to work well. Went to the iE1's last year after having issues with the G's relative to how they interacted with the turf. IE1's are like an improved i5 but would like something more forgiving.

Sweeper swing with shallow divot.

The Srixon 565's are way smaller than the HM. A better comparison to the 565 is the MP-H5's.

Nessism. I know you have played a lot of ping irons in the past, and notice you play the hot metals now. how would you compare them to the ping i20, i25, or I e1. Thanks

They are larger than the i-series Ping's. I prefer the Ping sole shape with the greater bounce. The HM's have a beveled leading edge which saves the day for me though. The HM's have a spring face so they are longer, but for guys that can strike their irons dead center all the time I think the i-series Ping's would be more consistent and predictable for distance.

How is the turf interaction with the HM's compared to say the Ping ie1? I played G's for a bit last season but could never get along with the soles. Didn't mind the shape or offset but soles did not work for my swing?

Longtime i5 user and then G25 for a few seasons and both seemed to work well. Went to the iE1's last year after having issues with the G's relative to how they interacted with the turf. IE1's are like an improved i5 but would like something more forgiving.

Played G25s for years before I bought my HMs. The HMs definitely have a thinner sole so I had to get used to it. But very happy with them, and they look a lot better than the G25s.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Can you post a pic of the corrosion? I've recently moved to the HM's and played 6 rounds so far and haven't noticed anything. I did research prior to buying and couldn't find any pics of corrosion from other users but a few did say after a full season wear was appearing.

Surely Mizuno customer service could help out if it's appeared on your clubs after two rounds?

Any pics would be helpful.

Chromoly Corrosion has now appeared on my new Hot Metal irons. The first corrosion appeared on a PW after one round and in the same day. The second club to be affected was a 9 iron, second round and appeared within 2 hrs of finishing a round. Not going well and did not have the same experience with Pings. Surely Mizunos aren't that susceptible to corrosion.

Chromoly Corrosion has now appeared on my new Hot Metal irons. The first corrosion appeared on a PW after one round and in the same day. The second club to be affected was a 9 iron, second round and appeared within 2 hrs of finishing a round. Not going well and did not have the same experience with Pings. Surely Mizunos aren't that susceptible to corrosion.

Can you post a pic of the corrosion? I've recently moved to the HM's and played 6 rounds so far and haven't noticed anything. I did research prior to buying and couldn't find any pics of corrosion from other users but a few did say after a full season wear was appearing.

Surely Mizuno customer service could help out if it's appeared on your clubs after two rounds?

I had and still do have them at the top of my new irons wish list. I went to my golf guy who is one of the top 3 golf shops in our State and relayed this message to him. He told me that he has sold over 200 sets of these irons and not one of his customers has come back to him about corrosion. It could be a small number or one batch, but doesn't sound like "a problem" with the model as a whole.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

I had and still do have them at the top of my new irons wish list. I went to my golf guy who is one of the top 3 golf shops in our State and relayed this message to him. He told me that he has sold over 200 sets of these irons and not one of his customers has come back to him about corrosion. It could be a small number or one batch, but doesn't sound like "a problem" with the model as a whole.

Thanks for the feedback. I've loved hitting them since I got them and even spend 15-20 mins a night hitting into nets in my garage. Great feeling, looking clubs, just didn't want this as an issue.

Well, Ping's are high bounce and Mizuno low. The HM's are in keeping with the low bounce tradition but they have a lot of front to back sole radius and a rounded leading edge. I think that type of sole is a great compromise since the bounce won't hurt pickers yet the rounded shape helps forgive guys that get too steep and/or hit behind the ball too much.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Regarding corrosion and/or durability in general, my HM's are holding up amazingly well. Realize that I use a wet towel and clean the face after every shot, but the course I play has a LOT of very thin lies so I'm banging down into the dirt regularly.

I play about twice a week and bought my HM's about a year ago at this point. The faces are free of serious damage and the soles just show scuffing. At this rate the clubs will last for several seasons more and I'm picky about condition.

I can't imagine what you're noticing. Even though I'm having a bit of trouble with the soles of the irons, I've had my clubs for ~4 months already and noticed the faces don't scratch easily as other non-forged irons, and was impressed that so far, they look almost brand new....and I'm a digger.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

OK, got to go out a few times in the last two weeks, not the greatest weather, about ~50-55*F. I focused more on swinging my irons with a bit of lag and forward lean and close to my body (NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff), and if I choked down and hit them firmly, they went very nicely....hmmm. But after 2 consecutive days of hitting balls on the range for 30 min and then 18 hole rounds, my outer, leading arm-elbow was throbbing a bit the next 3 days (could be because of the cold weather, have not been getting out there routinely/often). Wondering if I should have gone with Regular shafts (went with Stiff because I read they played a bit soft, and coming from Projext X 5.0 rifle-flighted 115-120 gms, thought these would be fine).

Probably what I meant by 'turf interaction' is the flange....it's so wide that if I don't flush it, I feel like it's affecting my shot like the bounce on a wedge affects a shot. There, I think that's the perfect description of my problem. I do like the beveled front edge, but now that I've had the clubs a few months, I just feel like 'there's too much metal down there' when I'm over the ball. I'm going to take out my old clubs for comparison, and make a decision whether to go for something with a narrower sole.

I'm probably coming at if from the opposite side that you indicated, that going from Ping's wider sole to the HotMetal's narrower sole (is Ping's really that much wider than HotMetal?, hard to believe, maybe that's why I could never go with Ping, except their recent thin-sole models look nice). I came from Callaway X-22 Tour's to HotMetal. I'm willing to 'test them out further' but I'm much like the Tiger/Phil mentality of not wanting to change my swing to fit a club, but rather, looking to find a club that fits my swing (from recent stories about Tiger's fitting approach being much like Mickelson's).

I'm starting to wonder about my set of Mizuno JPX900 HM that I've now had for 3-4 months, I'm having too much flange/turf interaction that is bothersome and seems to be affecting my shots; I'm having second thoughts about this wide flange on the sole. I'm going to switch out a bit with my old set of Callaway X22 Tour and see if that feels any better.

All I can say is, coming from having played Ping's for years (wide sole/flange), my Hot Metals took some getting used to as the sole width is much thinner and I have to make sure I don't get the ground too fat when I'm trying to step on an iron. Haven't notice any odd turf interactions though.

GHIN Index 12.9

Currently gaming 714 AP2s and have been looking at the irons in the new ‘players distance’ category as I could use a little more forgiveness and distance. Felt like the p790s might be the perfect club but I hadn’t had the chance to hit one. I went into a local shop this week and gave the p790 a try and since he had time the guy did some basic fitting for me with this Mizuno cart and a JPX HM head (even though the 900 forged Is probably a better comparison club) . I was consistently longer and with a better dispersion with the JPX HM, and for me I didn’t notice much of a feel difference.

I like how easily the JPX 900 JM/F blend together into a single set but most of what I see is folks going 4,5 & maybe 6 in HM, then the rest of the set F. Just curious if anyone has gone 4-7 in HM and 8-GW in forged?

Currently gaming 714 AP2s and have been looking at the irons in the new ‘players distance’ category as I could use a little more forgiveness and distance. Felt like the p790s might be the perfect club but I hadn’t had the chance to hit one. I went into a local shop this week and gave the p790 a try and since he had time the guy did some basic fitting for me with this Mizuno cart and a JPX HM head (even though the 900 forged Is probably a better comparison club) . I was consistently longer and with a better dispersion with the JPX HM, and for me I didn’t notice much of a feel difference.

I like how easily the JPX 900 JM/F blend together into a single set but most of what I see is folks going 4,5 & maybe 6 in HM, then the rest of the set F. Just curious if anyone has gone 4-7 in HM and 8-GW in forged?

Check my signature. I went HM 4-5-6 then F 7-GW. I like that the 7 Iron in the F is the last head to feature the cavity cut out. Love this set up! I have been juggling the idea to replace the HM 6 iron and add a F 6 Iron. Probably splitting hairs but this is well within the spirit of WRX

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

I don't know if I'd call this "corrosion" but I have noticed that the non-chrome portion (it's a little more matte than shiny) on the back of my HMs is beginning to show some type of wear. Can't figure out what it's from though. Anybody else notice this on their irons? Pics below...

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Just switched to 900 Forged and can't say I'm seeing much, if any, loss in forgiveness and they definitely feel smoother. :)

How are you finding the forged, and what were you using before?

If it was the HM"s, what are the main differences?

cheers

Hot Metal's. On shots near the middle of the face there is a definite difference in feel. I haven't really noticed a difference in forgiveness or distance loss on off center strikes. I've played less than 5 rounds with the new sticks though.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Wow, pretty obvious there is something going on. Were they purchased from a reputable dealer, i.e., and that they're not fakes?, otherwise I'm sure Mizuno would replace that with a brand new set.

I don't know if I'd call this "corrosion" but I have noticed that the non-chrome portion (it's a little more matte than shiny) on the back of my HMs is beginning to show some type of wear. Can't figure out what it's from though. Anybody else notice this on their irons? Pics below...

GHIN Index 12.9

Sorry to see that, just looked close at mine and nothing to see. Had for 10 months and wiped with a wet towel after every shot

Also stored in my trunk (Houston) which is basically a swamp.

Wow, pretty obvious there is something going on. Were they purchased from a reputable dealer, i.e., and that they're not fakes?, otherwise I'm sure Mizuno would replace that with a brand new set.

They were thru a reputable dealer and I registered my irons when I got them. Reached out to Mizuno so we'll see. It's definitely only in the non-chrome plated portion of the backs so I wonder what the material is that Mizuno used to plate those sections.

I wonder if that is wear and tear from the clubs banging into each other in the bag. I see some marks that look like dings in the metal? I just looked at my HMs, and some have very slight dings, but most have none. The ones that have chatter marks are the clubs in the middle of the bag. The satin silver area with discoloration i see in the pictures, and on my clubs *looks* like paint, but I have no idea if it is. My clubs show no wear or discoloration there, but my set is relatively new(bought "used" but in mint condition). I played at a really rough course last weekend. The cart was bouncing around like we were racing in the Baja 500. Clubs were taking a beating. I'm guessing that's why I now have dings in my set.

Here's some more pics...FYI

I believe the heads are painted in the areas showing the marks. Paint chips. I suspect it's caused by bag chatter. My bag holds the clubs away from one another and none of my clubs have marks like shown.

^ Agree, looks like a paint/coating wearing away, not corrosion. Just normal wear and tear, nothing to worry about and nothing that should warrant a replacement set, but if it's offered...

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Here's some more pics...FYI

I believe the heads are painted in the areas showing the marks. Paint chips. I suspect it's caused by bag chatter. My bag holds the clubs away from one another and none of my clubs have marks like shown.

Heard back from Mizuno USA and they claim it's simply bag chatter. Was fairly certain it was too after comparing irons depending on where they are located in my bag. Mizuno also says it's painted chrome in that section of the back of the irons so I may at some point down the road try to strip them. Still loving my HMs though. Best looking GIs by far.