Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal

scratch72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im still on the fence between these and the forged version. I also have the Srixon 765 and 565 staring at me. Would 565 be the HM equivalent and 765 the forged?

I'm in the same boat. Yes - these sets would be comprable. Hot Metal <-> 565 and Forged <->765.

I'd likely do a combo set, not sure if I'd switch at the 7 iron or 8 iron.

Being lefty, I have not found a test set of Srixons yet - so I have not hit them yet. I have tried the JPX900 Forged - very solid. Looks-wise and at address, Srixon no doubt (just my opinion).

Driver (9.0) - Cobra LTDx Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

Im still on the fence between these and the forged version. I also have the Srixon 765 and 565 staring at me. Would 565 be the HM equivalent and 765 the forged?
Here's a data point for you...

Many reviewers note that the Forged model launches lower than the HM. If it does, I don't notice it. Took the 5 irons of both to the range for a comparison and was hitting them comparably with great height.

No regrets at all about going to the Forged model from the HM's.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

At least in my case, I got higher spin with the Hot Metal versus the Forged. I think the Forged felt slightly better, but not enough on good hits to make a difference. I didn't find that much difference in looks, but if you like the look of one versus the other, the performance is probably going to be about the same.

Went to indoor dome last night to hit some balls. Ths facility had some demo HM 7 irons with the modus 105 in r and s flex. Never hit these clubs before. and they felt very good

Anyhoo, I could not tell any difference between the regular and stiff flex in the modus 105. I always hit regular flex. Are the modus 105 soft to flex?

Also, I compared my jpx ez forged 7 iron head with the HM 7 iron and these 2 heads are pretty much the same size.

At least to me there was no real difference in performance between the HM and the ez forged but there was a big difference in the pocket book.

15 hcp

Went to indoor dome last night to hit some balls. Ths facility had some demo HM 7 irons with the modus 105 in r and s flex. Never hit these clubs before. and they felt very good

Anyhoo, I could not tell any difference between the regular and stiff flex in the modus 105. I always hit regular flex. Are the modus 105 soft to flex?

Also, I compared my jpx ez forged 7 iron head with the HM 7 iron and these 2 heads are pretty much the same size.

At least to me there was no real difference in performance between the HM and the ez forged but there was a big difference in the pocket book.

Interesting to hear the EZ Forged are more like the HM's than smaller headed models. Just swooped on a new set of EZ-Forged because they were so cheap brand new. Will be comparing them vs my current JPX 900F's with a similar shaft (Project X LZ). Both are Grain Flow Forged with Boron so I expect them to feel practically identical.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

Going to order a set but wanted some input on stock modus 105 vs kbs tour vs dgs300 vs project x lz, in terms of ball flight. I demoed the 6 iron with modus 105 stiff and felt the flight was sky high. Too high I think. Good feeling shaft though. Any input would be great...

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

I've got the Project X LZ in mine and during testing I found that it gave me the best combination of feel and trajectory.

It's weighty enough I know is where the face is at all times and on it gives a piercing mid level trajectory. The other shafts, KBS in particular, gave me a few more mph club head speed but it put the ball into orbit, distance dropped by 6 yards on average and I was fighting to square the face in time.

Put a Project X in my 3 iron fli hi and it's done the job there too.

I've got the Project X LZ in mine and during testing I found that it gave me the best combination of feel and trajectory.

It's weighty enough I know is where the face is at all times and on it gives a piercing mid level trajectory. The other shafts, KBS in particular, gave me a few more mph club head speed but it put the ball into orbit, distance dropped by 6 yards on average and I was fighting to square the face in time.

Put a Project X in my 3 iron fli hi and it's done the job there too.

Thanks for the input. I’m thinking either the project x Lz 6.0 or the modus tour 120 stiff might be the right fit for me...

Callaway epic 9.0
Cobra bio cell 3/4
Ping G 19 degree hybrid
Ping ie1 4-AW modus 105
Callaway MD3 54/58 wedges
Cleveland HB soft 11 putter 35

I have been a Ping guy for over 30 years and thought I had made a miraculous decision to play the JPX 900 HM's over my Ping G400's. I wasn't happy about the thinning out faces Ping has done, and the higher pitched sound on shots hit hit on the face, so I switched to the JPX 900 HM's.

On paper and on the simulator, the HM's just seemed to be a fit made it heaven. On the course golf, however, revealed a whole different scenario for me. In particular, I really don't like the HM wedges at all (Gap, SW and LW). They don't feel anything like the rest of the set and they are spin machines for me - I hit them really high, almost a full club less than the distance I was used to hitting with the G400's Gap, and Ping Glide SW and LW. I think this could be remedied by having them bent 1 or 2 degrees, but the lack of feel issue would still be there, so that was a real turn off. I am a feel player in general, and I like the feel in the Ping's in these clubs over the HM's.

I have played 8 rounds of golf (6 in Phoenix over the winter) with the HM.s and have concluded that they are not the club for me. I had allot of issues with the clubs really digging into the turf more than I like, the feeling of them almost getting stuck in the turf on more than an occasional basis. I think the Ping's have allot more bounce and that's probably why I haven't had that experience with the Ping G400's.

One other issue is that I am a lower ball hitter - draw, that's my miss tendency. The G400's give me a higher ball trajectory and carry - the Mizuno's in comparison had a lower ball flight and had a tendency to spin less and not hold greens as well as the Ping G400's. When I initially got the G400's, I didn't like the higher ball flight, but I've come to like it, mainly because I seem to get more carry with plenty of spin to stop quickly on greens.

Even with the issues above, the single most important determining factor for me in selecting the "go to" set, was what club, on a consistent basis felt the most solid when I hit the ball. While Ping G400's have a unique sound on certain off center hits (you get used to it), they still have that "Ping feel" that I've been used to for over 30 years, and that was a big factor in my decision to make the G400's my "go to" set.

I realize this is somewhat of a "splitting hairs" decision, I thought I'd share my thoughts. The Mizuno JPX HM might be their best ever GI iron set, and it is a fine set of clubs. But for me, I'm sticking with the Ping G400's.

Hey man, I'm the dude

To me the perfect set would blend the HM and G400 together. Take the HM's smaller size, lower offset, even length steps, better sound and feel, and more durable surface finish, and add in the Ping's less diggy sole and marginally nicer looking blade shape from the playing position. I'd pay full retail price for a set like that!

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Left-hand, Mizuno JPX900 HM, NP ModusPro 105/Stiff.

Got a bit more rounds in better weather the last few weeks (60-70*F) and spent about half-hour on the range before each round working my way from gap wedge thru 4-iron, then the hybrids, woods, and driver. Also spent 1-hr practice sessions on the range without playing at least 3 times during that time. I must say, I've started hitting the irons the best since I've had them, but for me to do that with the longer irons, I really have to focus and trap/compress the ball, high hands at the top of the backswing (reminiscent of Bubba Watson), and descending on the ball and it goes up nicely. If I have a half-hearted swing without my 'high hands', then it's a low trajectory and into the trees instead of over them, lol. Part of my problem with the longer irons is I have a harder time getting the ball trapped and compressed as it is further out and away from me rather than me being over it (on my older, set, I cut them down so that there was perhaps 3/8ths inch increments starting from the gap wedge through 4-iron instead of 0.5 inch, so essentially knocking an inch off the longer irons). Possibly the shafts are a bit stiff?, although everywhere I read said the NP Modus play a bit soft-to-flex?.... but I also have a set with the KBS Tour-90 Stiff and I think they are a bit soft...go figure. OK, although I'm playing better now, I still don't like the JPX900 HM 4-iron, it looks so 'off-set' to me when looking down at it? Oh yes, there's also been talk of the gap wedge. I've found that I can't hit it gently as the bounce is different (I think, I have to look it up) than my Cleveland wedges, and if I try a delicate soft shot, the bounce messes with the club face and the ball goes other than intended, however, if I give a firm strike with the gap wedge, all is OK. Let's just say I'm still experimenting with it, but in a pinch, I'll pull out my Cleveland wedges.

OK, got to go out a few times in the last two weeks, not the greatest weather, about ~50-55*F. I focused more on swinging my irons with a bit of lag and forward lean and close to my body (NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff), and if I choked down and hit them firmly, they went very nicely....hmmm. But after 2 consecutive days of hitting balls on the range for 30 min and then 18 hole rounds, my outer, leading arm-elbow was throbbing a bit the next 3 days (could be because of the cold weather, have not been getting out there routinely/often). Wondering if I should have gone with Regular shafts (went with Stiff because I read they played a bit soft, and coming from Projext X 5.0 rifle-flighted 115-120 gms, thought these would be fine).

Probably what I meant by 'turf interaction' is the flange....it's so wide that if I don't flush it, I feel like it's affecting my shot like the bounce on a wedge affects a shot. There, I think that's the perfect description of my problem. I do like the beveled front edge, but now that I've had the clubs a few months, I just feel like 'there's too much metal down there' when I'm over the ball. I'm going to take out my old clubs for comparison, and make a decision whether to go for something with a narrower sole.

I'm probably coming at if from the opposite side that you indicated, that going from Ping's wider sole to the HotMetal's narrower sole (is Ping's really that much wider than HotMetal?, hard to believe, maybe that's why I could never go with Ping, except their recent thin-sole models look nice). I came from Callaway X-22 Tour's to HotMetal. I'm willing to 'test them out further' but I'm much like the Tiger/Phil mentality of not wanting to change my swing to fit a club, but rather, looking to find a club that fits my swing (from recent stories about Tiger's fitting approach being much like Mickelson's).

I'm starting to wonder about my set of Mizuno JPX900 HM that I've now had for 3-4 months, I'm having too much flange/turf interaction that is bothersome and seems to be affecting my shots; I'm having second thoughts about this wide flange on the sole. I'm going to switch out a bit with my old set of Callaway X22 Tour and see if that feels any better.

All I can say is, coming from having played Ping's for years (wide sole/flange), my Hot Metals took some getting used to as the sole width is much thinner and I have to make sure I don't get the ground too fat when I'm trying to step on an iron. Haven't notice any odd turf interactions though.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

To me the perfect set would blend the HM and G400 together. Take the HM's smaller size, lower offset, even length steps, better sound and feel, and more durable surface finish, and add in the Ping's less diggy sole and marginally nicer looking blade shape from the playing position. I'd pay full retail price for a set like that!

That is what I am looking for as well. Bounced between G's, G400's and Hot Metals and ended up with iE1's which are forgiving enough but have the sole interaction and feel that I am looking for.

^ I'd say the i200s appear to be a love child of 900 HMs and G400s. They're a bit larger than I expected, and honestly I can't see any halfway decent ball striker needing a head larger than the i200s.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Got a bit more rounds in better weather the last few weeks (60-70*F) and spent about half-hour on the range before each round working my way from gap wedge thru 4-iron, then the hybrids, woods, and driver. Also spent 1-hr practice sessions on the range without playing at least 3 times during that time. I must say, I've started hitting the irons the best since I've had them, but for me to do that with the longer irons, I really have to focus and trap/compress the ball, high hands at the top of the backswing (reminiscent of Bubba Watson), and descending on the ball and it goes up nicely. If I have a half-hearted swing without my 'high hands', then it's a low trajectory and into the trees instead of over them, lol. Part of my problem with the longer irons is I have a harder time getting the ball trapped and compressed as it is further out and away from me rather than me being over it (on my older, set, I cut them down so that there was perhaps 3/8ths inch increments starting from the gap wedge through 4-iron instead of 0.5 inch, so essentially knocking an inch off the longer irons). Possibly the shafts are a bit stiff?, although everywhere I read said the NP Modus play a bit soft-to-flex?.... but I also have a set with the KBS Tour-90 Stiff and I think they are a bit soft...go figure. OK, although I'm playing better now, I still don't like the JPX900 HM 4-iron, it looks so 'off-set' to me when looking down at it? Oh yes, there's also been talk of the gap wedge. I've found that I can't hit it gently as the bounce is different (I think, I have to look it up) than my Cleveland wedges, and if I try a delicate soft shot, the bounce messes with the club face and the ball goes other than intended, however, if I give a firm strike with the gap wedge, all is OK. Let's just say I'm still experimenting with it, but in a pinch, I'll pull out my Cleveland wedges.

My HMs have the Modus 105 Stiffs in them as well and I wouldn't say they're "soft" but I think that thought comes from the fact that they're so smooth. There's no pronounced kick with these shafts and I can step on them and know they'll hold up. In retrospect, I may have gone a bit heavier and picked the Modus 120s as I like them too. Took the set Gap Wedge out of my bag as I can't get it to the distance I need regularly (plus I picked up 50* and 54* MP-T5s and I'm in love with them). The long irons in my set are an absolute dream to hit. I've never been more excited to hit a 4-iron during a round. But then again, I came from PINGs for years, so I was used to the offset. The only change for me was getting used to the narrower soles.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I have the HM 4i(have the Forged in the rest) and it is a rocket and launches at least as high as my Forged 5i and off the tee it goes as far and sometimes farther than my ping G 19 deg hybrid. Those having issues with the gap wedge not being the same feel and not going the same distance, I think that might be simply the fact that it's not the same head construction. The gap isn't a cavity back with the same thin face which is probably why you aren't getting the correct distance gap. I think mizuno had a decision to make with the gap wedge, and although the way they went sounds good in theory, it created the issue many are having. They were probably thinking "let's make the gap wedge, aka scoring iron, without the thin face for better control instead of distance in mind".

As for the sand and lob wedge, I think most folks go with specialty wedges for those, aka RTX 3, vokey etc. If set happens to have a good sand and lob in the set I would just see that as a plus, but never something I expect.

I've found the gap wedge to be more or less where I'd expect it to be in terms of distance. The control in the wedges is very good for a second, but for me the gap/sand wedges are never "full shot" clubs anyway. Don't find myself in many situations where the only shot is a full gap wedge so for me it does what I want it to.

I binned my hybrid recently and use the MMC FLI hi and HM 4 irons. The distance, trajectory and feel are brilliant off them and get me on the longer par 4s no problems.

Hmmm... the Mizzy JPX900 HM Gap wedge is 50*loft/7* bounce, my Cleveland gap is 50*/10* bounce.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

My HMs have the Modus 105 Stiffs in them as well and I wouldn't say they're "soft" but I think that thought comes from the fact that they're so smooth. There's no pronounced kick with these shafts and I can step on them and know they'll hold up. In retrospect, I may have gone a bit heavier and picked the Modus 120s as I like them too. Took the set Gap Wedge out of my bag as I can't get it to the distance I need regularly (plus I picked up 50* and 54* MP-T5s and I'm in love with them). The long irons in my set are an absolute dream to hit. I've never been more excited to hit a 4-iron during a round. But then again, I came from PINGs for years, so I was used to the offset. The only change for me was getting used to the narrower soles.

I purchased the JPX Forged Gap Wedge and it fits perfectly into my set of Hot Metals (5-PW) with perfect gapping. It looks real close to the HM, unlike the GW that comes with these irons and there are no loss of distance issues. Great remedy.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen4 @ 10.5* w/Tour AD VR-6 S

Fairway: PXG 0341 X GEN4 @ 15* w/PX Evenflow Riptide CB 60g
Fairway: Callaway Mavrik @ 18* w/PX Evenflow Riptide 60g
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Black Satin 50*  54*  58*

Putter: PXG Bat Attack-HS @ 35.5"
Ball: Wilson Staff Model

I don't know if I'd call this "corrosion" but I have noticed that the non-chrome portion (it's a little more matte than shiny) on the back of my HMs is beginning to show some type of wear. Can't figure out what it's from though. Anybody else notice this on their irons? Pics below...

That appears to be defective plating. Miz might warranty.

Thanks, Steve

I don't know if I'd call this "corrosion" but I have noticed that the non-chrome portion (it's a little more matte than shiny) on the back of my HMs is beginning to show some type of wear. Can't figure out what it's from though. Anybody else notice this on their irons? Pics below...

Spoke with Mizuno USA's Customer Service, was a great experience. Turnaround was quick, but from the pictures I sent them their engineers were pretty certain it was just the wear and tear from bag chatter. The areas affected on the back of the irons are platted or have a protective coating under the silver-colored top coat so I've got no qualms.

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Spoke with Mizuno USA's Customer Service, was a great experience. Turnaround was quick, but from the pictures I sent them their engineers were pretty certain it was just the wear and tear from bag chatter. The areas affected on the back of the irons are platted or have a protective coating under the silver-colored top coat so I've got no qualms.

I like their honest, classy response and have always been happy with their service. However, I've owned irons from different manufacturers for years and put Mizuno right at the top. This is unacceptable. Bag chatter is an expected and unintentional occurrence and as such, irons should be manufactured to hold up better than this illustrates. As an owner of the HM irons, I'll be watching this closely. Thanks for sharing.

Irons: PXG 0311 Gen4 Xtreme Dark Combination Set: 5-7 Gen4 XP; 8-GW Gen4 P w/SteelFiber 95

I like their honest, classy response and have always been happy with their service. However, I've owned irons from different manufacturers for years and put Mizuno right at the top. This is unacceptable. Bag chatter is an expected and unintentional occurrence and as such, irons should be manufactured to hold up better than this illustrates. As an owner of the HM irons, I'll be watching this closely. Thanks for sharing.

As posted earlier in this thread the heads are chrome plated and then the edge of the cavity is painted. If you allow your clubs to bang into one another, contacting on the painted areas, the paint will chip. If you don't want this to happen protect your clubs from banging into one another.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

As posted earlier in this thread the heads are chrome plated and then the edge of the cavity is painted. If you allow your clubs to bang into one another, contacting on the painted areas, the paint will chip. If you don't want this to happen protect your clubs from banging into one another.

I get that, I really do. However, I've played a lot of golf like many of you and done so with a variety clubs in a variety of bags (walking for years and cart) that bang a lot. It hasn't happened with other irons beyond a few dings here-and-there. I will not and should not have to put those clunky iron covers on an expensive iron from a well positioned brand.

That is what I am looking for as well. Bounced between G's, G400's and Hot Metals and ended up with iE1's which are forgiving enough but have the sole interaction and feel that I am looking for.

+1. Of all the irons out there over the past 5-7 years, I the Ping i E1 is one of my favorites. For whatever reason, people liked to knock the touch of blue and badging in general and got hung up on that. I thought they looked fine and did not care about the tiny splash of color.

Beyond that, it is a really nice iron. I like the shape more than the i200 and it seems more playable to me with a nice sole design. The i E1 has more bounce than the 900 HM, but it does not feel like a high-bounce club.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches