How much distance can be gained with the illegal Volvik Magma?

ConcentricDimples

Not sure about that ball, or why it is illegal.

Back in the day (my favorite start to any story now).....most XXX-out balls were made that way due to something wrong in the manufacture of the ball.

Got my hand on some Black Maxfli (100 compression) XXX-outs that were British ball size.

I can tell you...that ball went almost 50 yards further than a conforming ball at the time....and, I won so many bets on who could outdrive who with them

Let us know if you find out the answer

Condor or Bandit balls. I've been considering some for scrambles... and rounds you can't post scores to GHIN. Just for #$%^'s and grins.

--kC

Wouldn't that still classify as illegal in a scramble?

Yes, that would be cheating. I called out a guy cheating with a long putter against his chest at my club and since some "recreational" players hate me. Those "recreational" players will love the trophies and the proshop gift cards.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Srixon XV balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

Condor or Bandit balls. I've been considering some for scrambles... and rounds you can't post scores to GHIN. Just for #$%^'s and grins.

--kC

Wouldn't that still classify as illegal in a scramble?

I didn't say I condone it, but is there a list somewhere of what is legal/illegal in a scramble? If it's illegal, show me in the rules what my penalty is for using a non-conforming ball in the Scramble format. I can find it for stroke, match, but not scramble. Once you find it, I'll show you a long list of other rules that are (illegally) waived to make a scramble happen (remember, it's illegal to waive a rule of golf) - I'll start with the lifting of your ball and placing it nearer to the hole, and then mulligans (if you bought the tickets).

You can't post the round anyways, because you didn't follow the rules of golf... so again I ask... show me in the rules where I can't - remembering that USGA rules don't apply as much as they try to say they do. :)

--kC

(FYI: I'm being pedantic on purpose)

Callaway Mavrik 9* Fujikura Pro2.0 6.5 / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (4-AW) / Vokey SM8 56*, Callaway, 64*

LMP is right on the fact there are no rules for scrambles, so I was referring to the actual competitive events that I go that some members try to win at all costs. I obviated the recreational ones, that mostly are fun events and very important non for profit events. That is why I just edited my post.

Online I found some info from a scramble organized by the EWGA (The Executive Woman's Golf Association) that shows the kind of rule I was referring to:

"Rules of Golf: Since scramble play is not recognized in the USGA Rules of Golf, the EWGA rules and guidelines governing scramble play are an attempt to fairly apply the Rules of Golf to a scramble format.

EWGA rules and guidelines are not intended to alter or revise the Rules of Golf. It would be advisable to carry a copy of the USGA Rules of Golf in your golf bag. The Committee in charge of the competition will settle all disputes."

Even then, the EWGA ran the event under their own format.

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Srixon XV balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

I mean...it had to be done right?

Option 1
Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour-X
Callaway Big Bertha 816 Alpha 16 AD-DI 8x black
Nike VR Pro 3 hybrid project x 6.0
Adams XTD Forged 4-PW Fujikura MCI 120S
Adams MB2 GW
Callaway Mac Daddy Forged 60
Toulon Garage Atlanta Black Pearl
Ping 4 Series Tour Edition White/ Bridgestone 2014 Tour Bag

Option 2
Taylormade 2016 M1 10.5 Whiteboard Flowerband 7x
16 Taylormade M1 5 wood AD-TP 7s
Ping Anser 20 stock stiff
Taylormade 2016 M2 Tour XP105 stiff
Cleveland RTX 2.0 52 deg raw
Titleist Vokey Prototype 58 T Grind
Carbon Ringo Raw Whisky

[url="http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2"]http://www.gamegolf.com/player/pierso2[/url]

Another one that I just saw in a different thread...

Crush it off the tee and then replace it when you get up to it. I've played the 330 for 3 years now and the e7 is at least 8 yards longer.

Lots of people do this. Long ball for tee shots. Replaced with a 'control' ball for short shots and pin seeking.

--kC

Callaway Mavrik 9* Fujikura Pro2.0 6.5 / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (4-AW) / Vokey SM8 56*, Callaway, 64*

If you want to cheat just buy the Condor.

Are you serious? Who are you to say me going out on a Saturday afternoon to enjoy myself is "cheating"?

Recreational golf is supposed to be fun.

Call me confused, but you state in the thread title "illegal" ball. The Ball is only illegal under the rules of golf.

The ball is perfectly legal if you are not playing under the rules of golf and therefor would not be cheating.

Once you refer to it as an illegal ball you are indicating that you plan to respect at least some of the rules of golf.

Are you serious? Who are you to say me going out on a Saturday afternoon to enjoy myself is "cheating"?

Call me confused, but you state in the thread title "illegal" ball. The Ball is only illegal under the rules of golf.

The ball is perfectly legal if you are not playing under the rules of golf and therefor would not be cheating.

Once you refer to it as an illegal ball you are indicating that you plan to respect at least some of the rules of golf.

Yep!

--kC

I used the word "illegal" as a descriptive identifier of the ball, so people reading the thread would better know what I was referring to, and at best using it implies awareness that it is illegal under USGA's "Rules of Golf." It does not imply agreement with those rules, and certainly does not imply that I believe a weekend round with friends using ball not on the conforming list is "cheating."

In said type of rounds, most of us give (and take) up to four-foot putts because they are "good," while playing "stroke play." So lets all dismount our high horses.

People will always try and rationalize cheating. It's human nature.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G KBS $-taper 120

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X KBS $-taper 120
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black
Best Grips, BB&F
Bridgestone Tour BXS yellow

I used the word "illegal" as a descriptive identifier of the ball, so people reading the thread would better know what I was referring to, and at best using it implies awareness that it is illegal under USGA's "Rules of Golf." It does not imply agreement with those rules, and certainly does not imply that I believe a weekend round with friends using ball not on the conforming list is "cheating."

In said type of rounds, most of us give (and take) up to four-foot putts because they are "good," while playing "stroke play." So lets all dismount our high horses.

I am not on high horse. Use any ball you like and have fun. I just found the exchange kind of funny from an objective stand point:

You: I want to use an illegal ball.

Him: If you want to cheat here is another option.

You: How dare you call me a cheater for using a ball I called illegal as I am not following the rules anyway

Imagine if the conversation was this way:

You: I want drive an Illegal vehicle

Him: If you want to break the law, why do don't you drive an illegal motor bike

You: How dare you say I am a law breaker, I am going to drive the car on track where it is legal

I am not judging your use of the ball, but I am judging your over reaction to a cheating comment made in response to you saying you were doing something illegal.

I am not on high horse. Use any ball you like and have fun. I just found the exchange kind of funny from an objective stand point:

You: I want to use an illegal ball.

Him: If you want to cheat here is another option.

You: How dare you call me a cheater for using a ball I called illegal as I am not following the rules anyway

Imagine if the conversation was this way:

You: I want drive an Illegal vehicle

Him: If you want to break the law, why do don't you drive an illegal motor bike

You: How dare you say I am a law breaker, I am going to drive the car on track where it is legal

I am not judging your use of the ball, but I am judging your over reaction to a cheating comment made in response to you saying you were doing something illegal.

Your anology doesn't make sense. The USGA isn't a governmental organization nor do they have law-enforceable influence over anything, nor do their rules pertain to public safety.

And they sure as heck do not govern how I spend and enjoy my free time when I take time and pay money to golf somewhere.

Again: the use of the word "illegal" in the title was a descriptive term and does not mean anything when speaking about recreational golf.

Your anology doesn't make sense. The USGA isn't a governmental organization nor do they have law-enforceable influence over anything, nor do their rules pertain to public safety.

And they sure as heck do not govern how I spend and enjoy my free time when I take time and pay money to golf somewhere.

Again: the use of the word "illegal" in the title was a descriptive term and does not mean anything when speaking about recreational golf.

Okay how about this one then:

You: How much fun do you think I can have by breaking the 7th commandment

Him: If you are going to be a sinner, you mise well break the 6th commandment

You: how dare you call me a sinner, I am not even a christian

The ball is only illegal under the USGA, if you don't fall the USGA rules - why call it that.

As you say "illegal ball" means nothing to those that don't follow the rules of golf (my point all along). If you did use 'illegal' to be descriptive of the item, then you must know the only people that the description of 'illegal' ball would be meaningful to is those that follow or are aware of the rules of golf. Given this don't be surprised that one of those people call you cheater for using the 'illegal' ball.

I mean why bring illegal into if you think the term is meaningless in you situation, unless you are trying to bait the people that do follow the rules?

I found the exchange - odd. You didn't. No big deal.

If you are still in the market for tips and really want to hit the ball far/straight you should also try Vaseline or butter on your driver face. It does work very well - so well the USGA made it against the rues.

Can't comment on magma. Too hot.

Sorry........couldn't resist.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.