2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Being called Tournament Liars because we're Juniors

Shot 58 and got booed while getting our prizes..
So last Saturday morning I was working with my friend at a local golf course. He starts telling me that there was an outing later that day at the course and he was supposed to play in it, but his dad, brother, and uncle had to back out. So I told him I'd play if we could find other people, well turns out I got my best friend to play and he got one of his friends to play. We're all good players handicaps between 5-12. Well we got out and have an amazing day, I'll never have a better day in my life, as a team (scramble) we birdied 8-18 to close out the round. So we shot 58 and afterward the rumor started floating around about our 14 under score and everyone was lie "the kids?" and started calling us cheaters. i swear we didn't cheat, we just played so good, and it didn't help we won by 8 shots. So when we were called up to get our prizes instead of a clap we got a boo, and another, and another...they all booed. Even the group in front of us who saw how good we were playing booed. Just thought I'd share the story and see how everyone felt about it....

-vin

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good round guys. It is really a shame that adults do this kind of thing. I was playing in a family deal "Ryder Cup" like thing that my friend puts on. A high school teammate and I were playing best ball against 2 adults. My teammate and I aren't straight-ball hitters, we both play hooks. Our hooks led us to a 3 and 1 victory. Standing on the first tee, waiting to go out for our final 9, the 2 adults were critisizing our play, and saying how in the old days you aimed straight and hit it straight. I replied "Last time I checked in the rule book when you get waxed by 2 kids, don't critisize how they play." That shut them up for the rest of the day.

Driver: Stealth Plus 10.5* Ventus Red
Fairway: Ping G400 17* Tour AD-DI
Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Tour AD-DI
Driving Iron: New Level NLU-01 4 and 5 iron Steelfiber i95
Irons: New Level 623 CB Aerotech Steelfiber i80
Wedges: Fourteen RM-4 50*, 56* and 61*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Ball: Vice Pro Plus

Sore losers it appears, nice shooting. People can't accept losing to people who are younger than they are, ever. Scramble is meant to produce low scores, and I have no doubts about a junior team shooting low in that format. There must have been some nice prizes that all them wanted.

At the end of the day, the boos go away, but the score will still remain.

[sign here]

same deal, whenever i beat the older folks i rarely even get a hand shake at the end of the round, much less an applause if its at a club tournament, it just kinda hurts when you play your best and wax someone, and then the welcome you get is pretty much silence :)

or even when you get paired with an older person when your just playing a fun round at a local course, then on the 18th, off they go in their cart, not even the standard handshake and small talk

oh well

F*ck them, they should be able to do better than 66 in a scramble. With that kind of score they'd get waxed by anybody. It just happen to be juniors... deal with it, you guys played well, congrats.

I know there's a junior around here, for anonymity's sake, let's call him Dan. Dan fired a 64 in a tournament this morning to win by 8 in his division (14-15). I guess he's notorious for cheating (I've never seen him cheat but that's all I've ever heard about him). Even as he was getting his picture taken, you could hear the whispers (wow, no way he shot 64, what a cheater). I've never been a witness to him cheating, whenever I've seen him play, I've seen him play solid golf. Hell, he had a tap-in eagle today on the first hole, with about 30 kids watching his 3-iron approach shot, and the subsequent eagle putt that he made... the kid can flat out play. Judging people based on stupid rumours or stereotypes is dumb and has no place in this game. You should be able to know how to lose (however, I'll be the first to admit I'm not good at that, especially since I fired a 73 and the winning score in the 16-18 division was 72... missed a playoff by one shot... didn't take it too well, kinda had the look of Phil after he made double at winged foot)- also just FYI, we played the tips, and the 14-15 played the mens tees... so that's why the scores are better in the younger division, we weren't slacking off or anything haha

Bottom line, sore losers.

nice round, I feel bad for all you guys.

I'm 17 but at my club all the older guys are great. They were all rooting me on last year in the club championship were i won. they really support me and are always watching my scores in tournaments and congraulating me. I guess I'm in the minority though.

Taylormade M3 440
Taylormade M3 15
Titleist 716 T-MB 2
Mizuno MP18
Vokey SM7
Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2

I went throught the same stuff when I was younger. I played in a golf league that my partner and I were both + handicaps and just waxed everybody. Wait until you win a long drive contest in an outing and they try to tell you your drive is not valid since it ended up on the green and the it was a missed fairway. That was when I stopped playing in the hit and giggle tournaments until after college.

brush it off and just know that you made it happen and they sucked...

Instagram account

Titleist TSi4 8.25* / Fujikura Ventus Black TR 7-X
TaylorMade Aero Burner TP 15° / Matrix White Tie 70-X
Taylormade SIM UDI 2i / Diamana THUMP 100X

Taylormade P770 3i (at 22°) / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MC 5-7, P7MB 8, 9 / Project X LS 6.5 

Taylormade P7MB P / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 50° (at 52°) / DG S400

Taylormade MG3 TW 56° and 60° / DG S400

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH 34"

OUTRAGEOUS!!! Sorry that you experienced that sort of sportsmanship. Great round hold your head up high. In all honesty 58 is a great round, but in a 4 person scramble, this is not at all out of question for any group of decent golfers. To win buy 8 the field must not have been full of low handicappers. I don't want this to sound the wrong way but I have played in scrambles where 50 wins. If you get a group of guys who gets hot, you feed off of each other and you can literally birdie every hole. What really bothers me is why is it ok for net team events to win with outrageously low scores, but when it happens in a gross event the winning group are called cheaters? Sorry I could go on about this crap all night, enjoy your victory and be proud of the way you played. Rant over.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I think it has less to do with being a junior or young and more to do with no knowing the group you were playing against. I could be wrong but it sounds like something I went through many years back. I and 2 others were guest of a friend and invited to play in a best ball tourney. Well I took individual honors with a net 53 (this was back when I was a 20+ handicap).. I felt really bad, but we had 1 guy in our foursome(stranger to us) that new the rest of the group so that really helped during the prize ceremony. Yes and we also took team honors too. Nothing worse then cleaning up the prizes when you know next to no one there.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

I've never played in a 4 man non handicapped scramble where the winner wasn't between 58-61, never. This is normal.

I just played in a scramble the other week where our group shot a gross -8 and with handicap ended up at a net 60.4. It was good for 16th place. I believe the winner was at something like 54.4 net.

Was it 8-some's you were playing? That's what it is usually here. Switch cards with the other group and everyones good to go. Never a question about the score at the end.

people probably called you cheaters, cause most times people DO CHEAT...

i was witness to it firsthand in my first ever tournament i played in last weekend... the amount of cheating that happened was unreal... almost makes me never want to play in another one again... golf is supposed to be an honor game, but that was thrown right out the window apparently...

when money is involved all morals just go out the window i think...

this is life as a juniour.

At my club as the juniour section won lots of comps last year we got banned from playing in them !!

Me and 3 of my mates the highest hcap out of the lot being 8 we were banned from everything banned from playing on certain days and we could only play at certain times so i wrote to the welsh golfing union and they insisted all of the above should be removed haha!!

Now whenever i see the comittee members who passed this bull :russian_roulette: i tend to be a little sarcastic towards them!

I am not a junior but I used to be. :russian_roulette:

I won my club championship when I was 15 and they all booed me too. They said I shouldn't be allowed to compete because I didn't pay full price, and this and that. I also won the long drive contest and the putting contest.

They said at the begining of the tourney that the winner would get a newspaper story about them and it didn't get put in the paper.

The next year I didn't join that club again.

Golf has come a long way in 20 years but obviously maturity and ego has not changed a bit.

Thats a shame to hear. Great round guys.

Ignore them, they are just envious.

Here is a story for you: I played in a scramble at We Ko Pa a few years ago and there were a number of Nationwide Tour players playing. Well we got to the 17th hole and my group looks at me and said "go get your long drive" Hole 17 was a long par 5 dog leg left on the cholla course (only course back then). I hammered a high draw around the corner and moved the marker about 100 yards forward (we were the last group before the Nationwide Tour players). At the awards ceremony this guy, who played on the Nationwide Tour (surprise huh?) started asking who had one the longdrive. Someone told him some kid did so he started asking who was the punk that hit that bomb. They called the long drive (413 by the way) up. I sat there making everyone wait then I stood up. All 5'11" 130 lbs of what I was then. You should have seen the looks on their faces. A combination of disbelief and what I think I will call awe. I gave the guy the ball I hit and showed him it was perfectly clean without any cartpath marks or anything besides a grass mark.

Scrambles are fun.

So last Saturday morning I was working with my friend at a local golf course. He starts telling me that there was an outing later that day at the course and he was supposed to play in it, but his dad, brother, and uncle had to back out. So I told him I'd play if we could find other people, well turns out I got my best friend to play and he got one of his friends to play. We're all good players handicaps between 5-12. Well we got out and have an amazing day, I'll never have a better day in my life, as a team (scramble) we birdied 8-18 to close out the round. So we shot 58 and afterward the rumor started floating around about our 14 under score and everyone was lie "the kids?" and started calling us cheaters. i swear we didn't cheat, we just played so good, and it didn't help we won by 8 shots. So when we were called up to get our prizes instead of a clap we got a boo, and another, and another...they all booed. Even the group in front of us who saw how good we were playing booed. Just thought I'd share the story and see how everyone felt about it....

-vin

Only 58? Geez come on. I've had a three man scramble 55 and we still didn't play all that well.

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X

Damn dude thats like down right ridiculous golf. I would think a threesome of Tigers would be the only group to do that. Therefore theres no way I can believe that. That's just too insane for me. :partytime2:

EPIC SZ 10.5 Ozik 70M5 X
EPIC SZ 15 Ozik 80M5 X
Steelhead XR Pro 3i Tour-V X
Apex Pro 16 4i-9i C-Taper X
MD3 49.11S, 56.10S C-Taper X
PM Grind 60.06
Spalding TPM8
Chrome Soft X