• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy...

1. Change your attitude

2. Take a few days off

3. Find a new instructor

Everyone plays bad from time to time and sometimes that's an extended stretch. Shoot, I've gone from a 3 handicap to a 6 in about 2 months. I'm still going out there and having fun. You're likely not trying to become a pro, so just remember that you're supposed to be having a good time out there! I remember when I was trying to get better, if I bogied the first hole, I was ready to go home. I was miserable to play with the rest of the round, and I never could convince myself that I had 17 holes to get that shot back. I couldn't get any better and I was so hard on myself. Once I went out and started enjoying just being on the course and seeing the beautiful scenery, I was amazed at how much better some of my shots turned out.

Also, take a week or two off and see what that does for you. My bet is, you'll be so amped up to play at the end of those two weeks that your score won't seem quite as important.

And if you're truthfully never getting better, maybe it is time to find another instructor. For whatever reason, you don't always click with someone and another person's viewpoint or approach might be a little different and that works for you.

Take 2 weeks off totally off the game.

gte your mind clear. Trust urself that everything you have worked on has now become natural.

Now its just you need to trust it.

So, take 1 or 2 weeks off from golf. Dont even think about swing technique.

Come back and just swing it, and trust it. Thats what I do when I start feelin im gettin abit confused and technical.

I think you're just trying to hard... just "play" and let go of the outcome. I have a lot of useful resources for the mental game at www.artfulgolfer.com. Instead of taking lessons, I learned the game on my own and read some good books. Practice like you're playing (make each shot count) and play like you're practicing (no hope or fear or doubt).

First of all, IF your making considerable and consequential changes to your swing it will take a relatively long time to "ingrain" the changes.......Norman/Faldo took TWO years to reconstruct their swings and get back to playing competively at a high level..........I always tell players this, "IMOP it takes 2 years to construct a championship caliber golf swing from scratch"......and, depending on how poorly you were swinging and how ingrained this swing was in your "on board computer," it could take longer.......and that's IF your working diligently on the changes involved with YOUR swing........

Understand, it should NOT take 2 years for you to see substantive improvements (1 - 3 months is about average) on the range/course, but, it will take that long before the "new" swing is "yours!" I can take just about ANY reasonably athletic BEGINNER and have them making "quality swings" on video in about 30 minutes, but, the swings will be WITHOUT a golf ball in front of them.........it will take MUCH longer for them to "own" the swing with a ball in front of them.......

I look at the brain as a person's "on board computer" and it's loaded with "software" for a wide variety of tasks. Most people have "loaded" HIGHLY suspect golf swing software that, after practicing same for years, will take a LONG time to "uninstall" and "reload" with the proper "software".........it DOES take TIME and a TREMENDOUS amount of PATIENCE to REALLY make substantive changes to a person's golf swing technique........

Another thing is this, you MIGHT well be practicing the correct "moves" to improve your swing, but, the fundamentals you currently "own" are NOT conducive to making these "moves"........I see this ALL THE TIME.......in which case you'll NEVER successfully make the changes properly.......CANNOT be done with poor fundamentals......IMPOSSIBLE........so you might well be working on something that is IMPOSSIBLE to ingrain with your fundamentals as they are now.........THAT would make the most patient and passionate golfer EXTREMELY frustrated to the point of giving up.......( I have personal experience with this.....hehehe)

I TRULY hate to say this, but, it is true........the VAST majority of "golf instructors" skills range from "poor" to downright "awful".......you MUST make sure your working with someone with some true talent/passion for teaching.......IF not then your wasting your time and hard earned $$$$'s on nada....... :)

keep playing. there shouldnt be any reason to be getting worse... unless youve recently reconstructed your swing.

go out there and play a couple of rounds, see if you shoot a fairly consistant score. then take those scores, and try to beat them next time you go out. give yourself something to shoot for.

I am reconstructing my swing. It's very frustrating

First of all, IF your making considerable and consequential changes to your swing it will take a relatively long time to "ingrain" the changes.......Norman/Faldo took TWO years to reconstruct their swings and get back to playing competively at a high level..........I always tell players this, "IMOP it takes 2 years to construct a championship caliber golf swing from scratch"......and, depending on how poorly you were swinging and how ingrained this swing was in your "on board computer," it could take longer.......and that's IF your working diligently on the changes involved with YOUR swing........

Understand, it should NOT take 2 years for you to see substantive improvements (1 - 3 months is about average) on the range/course, but, it will take that long before the "new" swing is "yours!" I can take just about ANY reasonably athletic BEGINNER and have them making "quality swings" on video in about 30 minutes, but, the swings will be WITHOUT a golf ball in front of them.........it will take MUCH longer for them to "own" the swing with a ball in front of them.......

I look at the brain as a person's "on board computer" and it's loaded with "software" for a wide variety of tasks. Most people have "loaded" HIGHLY suspect golf swing software that, after practicing same for years, will take a LONG time to "uninstall" and "reload" with the proper "software".........it DOES take TIME and a TREMENDOUS amount of PATIENCE to REALLY make substantive changes to a person's golf swing technique........

Another thing is this, you MIGHT well be practicing the correct "moves" to improve your swing, but, the fundamentals you currently "own" are NOT conducive to making these "moves"........I see this ALL THE TIME.......in which case you'll NEVER successfully make the changes properly.......CANNOT be done with poor fundamentals......IMPOSSIBLE........so you might well be working on something that is IMPOSSIBLE to ingrain with your fundamentals as they are now.........THAT would make the most patient and passionate golfer EXTREMELY frustrated to the point of giving up.......( I have personal experience with this.....hehehe)

I TRULY hate to say this, but, it is true........the VAST majority of "golf instructors" skills range from "poor" to downright "awful".......you MUST make sure your working with someone with some true talent/passion for teaching.......IF not then your wasting your time and hard earned $$$$'s on nada....... ;)

Slicefixer, I believe I am working with one of the best.

I have the similar experience recently. Working with a good instructor, practice every day for an hour or so (not as long as I wish -- being a commuter and father of 2 young kids, hehehe), and feel better with my swing, still I fluctuate between low 80's and high 80's like last year. I feel I am capable of lower score, but it never materialize :-(

Very frustrating......

I think the key point is to make sure you’re having fun!!

Sometimes if you work too hard on your game it backfires on you…I’m sure we all have gone through that at one time or another…

But as someone said…a positive attitude is a big part of it…and by all means..enjoy yourself!

Time away helps sometimes…but playing with others who are encouraging and just as committed to improvement is a big advantage as well….stay away from negative people…

Dude keep playing

This weekend ( I am currently playing to a 16.3) I went out on the front and shot 41. I was on fire - for my game. No doubles, hitting fairways and greens, only minor miscues as opposed to the big double and occaisional triples. Then I started thinking of the 19th hole..not the bar....the end of the round score count. I thought "ok today I am breaking 85..yada yada yada.."

Yes you guessed it.....51 on the back nine. I just lost focus. I was upset but I was more pleased to see that my game is there, I just can't get cocky. Don't think of the score. Just focus on hitting good shots, one at a time.

Believe me, i am not a pro or even a amatuer tournament player, but I believe this logic should work for anyone....

Now....this weekend I will break 85!!! (Maybe I should shoot for breaking 90!!!)

I think that Slicefixer offers good advice when he states-: "Another thing is this, you MIGHT well be practicing the correct "moves" to improve your swing, but, the fundamentals you currently "own" are NOT conducive to making these "moves"........I see this ALL THE TIME.......in which case you'll NEVER successfully make the changes properly.......CANNOT be done with poor fundamentals......IMPOSSIBLE........so you might well be working on something that is IMPOSSIBLE to ingrain with your fundamentals as they are now.........THAT would make the most patient and passionate golfer EXTREMELY frustrated to the point of giving up.......( I have personal experience with this.....hehehe)".

It may be advantageous to post your swing video, and see whether Slicefixer, or somebody else, can identify a major fault.

Jeff.

I felt pretty much down on golf today myself. However, I put it into perspective, as I had bad news about a carpet in the house and now it needs to be replaced at $$ cost. I went to the range (played on Saturday - not bad actually) to see if I could tweak things and work with the driver... I was disgusted. Probably should have left the ball and gone home.

Rather, I finished them. I look at it as a bad day thats all. If I get a chance to get on the course later this week, I'll take it most likely. I just remember how much fun it is to be playing with friends on a nice day. Golf is too difficult to master to get upset about!

Hang in there, have fun - it IS a game after all...

I think that Slicefixer offers good advice when he states-: "Another thing is this, you MIGHT well be practicing the correct "moves" to improve your swing, but, the fundamentals you currently "own" are NOT conducive to making these "moves"........I see this ALL THE TIME.......in which case you'll NEVER successfully make the changes properly.......CANNOT be done with poor fundamentals......IMPOSSIBLE........so you might well be working on something that is IMPOSSIBLE to ingrain with your fundamentals as they are now.........THAT would make the most patient and passionate golfer EXTREMELY frustrated to the point of giving up.......( I have personal experience with this.....hehehe)".

It may be advantageous to post your swing video, and see whether Slicefixer, or somebody else, can identify a major fault.

Jeff.

(thanks Jeff, coming from you I consider that a HIGH compliment! ;))

Jeff.

Jeff- I go to Manzella. I'll let him do the analysis. I just get very discouraged. I am a much, much better ball striker today. I just score worse ;)

I feel, golf is a difficult game. To those suggesting a tip will solve all your golf woes. its not true.

Don't think that a few lessons is taken, it will show up in the score, its not a magic pill. The pros play and learn everyday and sometimes they have difficulty breaking 80. Its harder than we think.

It could take at least MONTHS of consistent lesson before making solid progress and milestone. And it takes more $$ , time, dedication, than we imagine. Time to get brutally honest with ourselves. Can I putt? can I read putts? can I play lob, cut , flop , chip it close?...Are the questions also need to be constantly asked, those are the scoring zones that alot of hard work need to be putt into or alot of playing experience need to be put into, that coach can only give us the technique, the rest is up to us

You also could be playing worse because Casting is much better for around the green shots ... think about it.

I feel, golf is a difficult game. To those suggesting a tip will solve all your golf woes. its not true.

Don't think that a few lessons is taken, it will show up in the score, its not a magic pill. The pros play and learn everyday and sometimes they have difficulty breaking 80. Its harder than we think.

It could take at least MONTHS of consistent lesson before making solid progress and milestone. And it takes more $$ , time, dedication, than we imagine. Time to get brutally honest with ourselves. Can I putt? can I read putts? can I play lob, cut , flop , chip it close?...Are the questions also need to be constantly asked, those are the scoring zones that alot of hard work need to be putt into or alot of playing experience need to be put into, that coach can only give us the technique, the rest is up to us

You also could be playing worse because Casting is much better for around the green shots ... think about it.

Manzella is EXCELLENT......so instruction isn't the problem.......hayam's post above is OUTSTANDING.......read, read, and read again.......and CHILL OUT......it's ONLY golf and NOT life or death.....(please REPEAT to ME the next time I 3 putt 5 times and shoot 78.... ;))

Leekgolf

Been in your position a number of times. Provided you are performing the components of a sound golf swing or simply have good information it should click at some point. What you are going through is earning it.

Watch someone with a good swing, having a good sound grip, check out the time it takes him to walk up to address, waggle and fire. A good solid golf swing takes time and patience to ingrain. Practicing and playing golf are two different animals. Practice is trying to maximize principals for the perfect strike, playing is just get it in the hole; strategy, visualization, consequences.

Maybe the best way of practicing , and it works for me' is to only take 3 or 4 clubs to the range find various targets to zero in on..... short wedge. fairway wood to 180 yd target, maybe play it back in your stance and try to hit a 7 iron 175yds. like the old game of horse. My buddies will do it for a beer and it does get you past the dry mechanics of practice.

Taking it to the course if you a working on swing instructions...well expect scoring to be a little higher but the rewards are those few shots that validate what you are being taught. I think it was Sneed that said he played his best golf in "controlled indifference". I don't know anyone who can concentrate for four hours straight ; enjoy the ride have a plan approach the ball, turn on the blinders and execute when you have established a good picture in your mind. Results can be subjective, what I need to do rather than what I did wrong seems to work better for most folks.

Lastly keep it simple stupid. I've been trying to incorporate the principals of The Golf Machine into my swing. The written word can mean so many things, yet a picture or better yet a video works for me. TGM can be a morass of detain and frankly I'm not smart enough to decipher most of it but have gather up useful information. The bottom line is that you have your swing i have mine the next guy......